Home The Bridge

New 3* in Vault - Tribunal Pike

2»

Comments

• I don't like the name either. Seems a bit inappropriate and negative. You could easily come up with a better name, as people in this thread have proved.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? Disfigured Pike is the best name the hacks at DB can come up with?

From The Menagerie:

KIRK: A mutiny requires a trial board of no less than three command officers. Since there are only two of that rank available
    SPOCK: Sir, I must point out that there are three officers of command rank available. Yourself, Commodore Mendez, and Captain Christopher Pike.
    KIRK: Denied. Captain Pike is a complete invalid.
    SPOCK: I believe you'll find he's still on the active duty list.
    MENDEZ: We didn't have the heart to retire him, Jim. He's got you. Whatever he's up to, he's planned it well.

We have Captain Pike and Christopher Pike, why not use the name they used in the actual episode:
    Captain Christopher Pike......sorry, rant over.

He did take a Turn for worse so TurnPike

Legitimately LOL'ed
    He's not just disfigured, he's disabled. He proved Kirk wrong about being a complete invalid, but disabled is still an apt description.

I'm also excited to see he has the inspiring trait. Still working on that collection.

Except "Disabled" is frowned upon now as a descriptor.................
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Beep beep beep
    I think we got a winner

@Jassada

Tribunal Pike

Edit: I do not think any extra info is needed with that name. So DB could chose what info they want.
  • ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Disfigured Pike in the portal yet?
  • If he was, he isn't anymore.

I'm assuming the rename hit with the server update this morning, somebody owes Jassada a free behold for giving them a name.
    Renamed Pike? More PC?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • Can't wait for his audio clip.

I was hoping they'd make a deal with 2K & Firaxis to get some of Nimoy's audio from Civilization.

In Civ IV, when you unlock Satellites Leonard does a deadpan "Beep. Beep. Beep."
  • JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    middlehead wrote: »
    If he was, he isn't anymore.

I'm assuming the rename hit with the server update this morning, somebody owes Jassada a free behold for giving them a name.

Free beholds all round in celebration! :)
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the name change. Great job DB!
    Let’s fly!
    I like the name change. Great job DB!

And they used the best suggested name from the thread!!!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I echo the kudos to DB for the name change. "Disfigured" didn't quite cross a line for me, but it toed it awfully close. I find "Tribunal" significantly more respectful of both Pike and the disability community, so kudos also to @Jassada for coining the revised moniker, as well as those of you who spoke up about it. Well done all around, y'all!
    I echo the kudos to DB for the name change. "Disfigured" didn't quite cross a line for me, but it toed it awfully close. I find "Tribunal" significantly more respectful of both Pike and the disability community, so kudos also to @Jassada for coining the revised moniker, as well as those of you who spoke up about it. Well done all around, y'all!

Although it definitely has a "negative index" in public communications, it does simply accurately describe his physical condition. Robert Anson Heinlein has some excellent examples of how people react to words in "If This Goes On..."

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jassada, you have won my respect, extremely well done.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

Although it definitely has a "negative index" in public communications, it does simply accurately describe his physical condition. Robert Anson Heinlein has some excellent examples of how people react to words in "If This Goes On..."

Wait. Are you telling me that words have meanings and that they can also evoke (and provoke) different reactions in people? When did THIS start?!

Wait. Are you telling me that words have meanings and that they can also evoke (and provoke) different reactions in people? When did THIS start?!

Advertisers use positively weighted words all the time. Politicians running for office use negatively weighted words in ads all the time.

Been known since Marcus Antonius eulogized Gaius Julius Caesar. Been an art since TVs needed commercials........
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted 2 comments and closing.
This discussion has been closed.