Home The Bridge

Vosk outfit

I'm not an expert, but this could cause some trouble:

85x15afyf7z6.jpg

Looks too similar to the (banned) skull of SS Totenkopfverbände.

And even if it is legally fine, is it really necessary?
Interested in being part of the TLA fun?

Comments

• [DC] Principia[DC] Principia ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It doesn't matter whether it's authentic, there are European regulations, not to matter a question of taste. With all of the characters people have practically begged for in the game still outstanding, they've gone with not one but two different aliens cosplaying as Nazis. I don't know who's approving these, but both Karr and Vosk are characters I will never level.

P.S. You'll note, if you look at Karr's art, that they genericized the look of the uniform in comparison to the uniform in the episode itself, probably for just the reasons I cited above.
  • Yes, I know it is authentic and I am glad to see that DB is back to having a lot of detail in the artwork. That skull appears to have more pixels the the complete Blood Oath Jadzia.

My point is: You can watch the episode, they are depicted as Nazis, they are the bad guys. Here, you can man your ship with 4 of those guys, give yourself some weirdo name and use it in a completely different circumstance.. which might get you in a lot of trouble. And let's not forget: the game is 7+. So perhaps DB should have chosen a different character altogether.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few within my fleet who are also very uncomfortable with this character and specifically the attire he is wearing.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vosk and his uniform are from the Enterprise Episode ‘Storm Front’ right?

So if showing this symbol is banned in some European countries, is that episode removed/blocked from all DVDs and streaming services?
  • No, in case that was a serious question.
  • That's pretty simple. You must not wear, show or collect banned insignia.

And honestly, to learn about our past I would go somewhere else.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Even on my large ipad pro i can t see it except if i enlarge and zoom in huge... and even then, its more of a guess. Really this is not a problem at all, imho.

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    [TLA] 84wb wrote: »
    No, in case that was a serious question.

It was. I don’t understand in what way this symbol is banned?

I also don’t like the idea that we want to pretend like our [ugly] history never happened.

Basically that last sentence is the exact explanation. Many European countries, including Germany ban games that have Nazis in them. People either learn from history, or ignore it. Learning from history is how we make sure such atrocities never happen again. Ignoring history, or pretending it doesn't exist, allows it to repeat itself.

I don't think ANY Star Trek episode has ever depicted the Nazis as the good guys. Even in "Patterns of Force", the "historian" who triedto model the local government of the planet he was on learned {too late} that although the trains in Gerny ran on schedule, the bigger issue was what was intentional in those trains.........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Those aren't European regulations, they are just stupid German regulations and btw. Germans have both different versions of the show (horrible dub actors) and a game (no voice clips).

btw. do you know that Doom was banned in Germany and that in their games no blood is allowed? So every FPS is actually about killing robots.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    [TLA] 84wb wrote: »
    No, in case that was a serious question.

It was. I don’t understand in what way this symbol is banned?

I also don’t like the idea that we want to pretend like our [ugly] history never happened.

Basically that last sentence is the exact explanation. Many European countries, including Germany ban games that have Nazis in them. People either learn from history, or ignore it. Learning from history is how we make sure such atrocities never happen again. Ignoring history, or pretending it doesn't exist, allows it to repeat itself.

I don't think ANY Star Trek episode has ever depicted the Nazis as the good guys. Even in "Patterns of Force", the "historian" who triedto model the local government of the planet he was on learned {too late} that although the trains in Gerny ran on schedule, the bigger issue was what was intentional in those trains.........

Germany doesn t ban Games that have Nazis in it, they just not allow the Nazi symbols to be displayed(you still get who they are supposed to be anyway) which is easily to alter by the developers, if they want to do so. If not, you can t legally buy the games in germany. But there have been exceptions in the past and things might change in the future, as long as the game isn t glorify Nazis or anything.

Example from changed symbols(Wolfenstein New Order):
    juy6ri9a4z1s.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “USK announced in August 2018 this change; USK will still review all games to judge if the use of imagery under Section 86a remains within the social adequacy clause and deny ratings to those that fail to meet this allowance.[26]”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

So it seems like this law has softened in recent years. Though I feel this might encroach on rights for expression, I bet that nobody has bothered to legally challenge it and simply adapts the symbol artwork.

Maybe we’ll see DB make some changes.

Shame on people that want to censor this content. Star Trek is about self reflection, examining our behaviours and history.

DB doesn't need to change Vosk for all of us, they just need to set up a different art for the German version of the game and that's it.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    S31 wrote: »
    “USK announced in August 2018 this change; USK will still review all games to judge if the use of imagery under Section 86a remains within the social adequacy clause and deny ratings to those that fail to meet this allowance.[26]”
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

So it seems like this law has softened in recent years. Though I feel this might encroach on rights for expression, I bet that nobody has bothered to legally challenge it and simply adapts the symbol artwork.

Maybe we’ll see DB make some changes.

Shame on people that want to censor this content. Star Trek is about self reflection, examining our behaviours and history.

DB doesn't need to change Vosk for all of us, they just need to set up a different art for the German version of the game and that's it.

Assuming that’s possible or feasible. They might just decide it’s easier to change it for everyone.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    The law does specifically exempt art, science, research, teaching - "learn from history not ignore it" is fine, but if someone can get through to the end of high school without knowing who the Nazis were and what they did, I feel like that's more on the heads of whoever came up with their history curriculum, not whoever designed their mobile games. The law already accepts the need to learn from history, the disagreement's just on whether games can be a valid source of learning (or art if you like).

I'd say yeah, but I'm not anybody's government. As things stand, I don't really feel history's being betrayed if DB just changed the symbol to a more generic skull and crossbones.
  • S31 wrote: »
    I see that some people don't understand what Europe is.
    Europe isn't a single country and only Germany bans games with Nazis in it.

So only one country has a problem with this art.

Haha, this is brilliant. You might wish to consider a fact check:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post–World_War_II_legality_of_Nazi_flags
  • The OP asked if it was even necessary for the skull on the collar badge. I'm not sure. They could of omitted it and that omission might of not even generated a thread. The consistent trend in entertainment media over the years has been to make such uniforms exact as possible. There are exceptions and each individual decision could warrant a paragraph.
This discussion has been closed.