Home The Bridge

Vosk outfit

13»

Comments

• IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Magpie wrote: »
    This is a conversation that we have to be able to have, and I'm impressed that it has stayed cordial. If we can't have this discussion in Star Trek world, where can we have it? I don't feel that voicing my discomfort about the use of a symbol in this context is censorship, though it is a request to a community to understand the impact. Hopefully it can be a discussion that helps us successfully share the planet. I would not at all mind elaborating why this image is disturbing to me (offended is the wrong word) but I'm not sure people are really curious about that?

Explaining the problem helps understand the problem, it also helps find a solution if there is one.

I wouldn't disagree with you on the imagery being disturbing, i think that's primarily why it's been used by pirates/armies/hazardous chemicals etc. for so long now.

For instance I am more disturbed by this
    bd4dlrx02q3t.jpg

than this
    d2bgcowe3bdr.png

Why? Well the former I associate with a dangerous substance that can do (most likely) fatal harm if not used appropriately and it's in your house. Whereas the later I associate with something like the Goonies or kids playing dress up pirates. This goes back to how symbols are used, not what they actually are, which is just anatomical pictures used in a way to evoke a response.

[was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s the saying?
    “Nobody has the right to not be offended.”
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread hurts my brain
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • MagpieMagpie ✭✭✭
    Oh! Lol. I thought you meant the original card.
  • MagpieMagpie ✭✭✭
    Okay. Full disclosure. I dressed up as a pirate with that flag one Halloween. BUT if someone had a problem with that, I would take the time to figure out why. And if I thought, "good point," I would change that part of the costume. I think it's often about context, which has been kind of my point here. As it seems to be yours.
  • ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    Apagg wrote: »
    ITT, people with no experience of living under a Nazi regime telling a country which has "not to be such snowflakes about it" and sanctimoniously talking about not forgetting the past. I don't think many of you realise how ridiculous you sound.

In other words you are saying it's fine to forget it happened and hide anything related to it ever occurring is that right?

Talk about that episode of Enterprise being pertinent. That does a complete disservice to those very people who suffered under that regime.

That isn't what they do. You literally have no clue what you are talking about.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITT, people with no experience of living under a Nazi regime telling a country which has "not to be such snowflakes about it" and sanctimoniously talking about not forgetting the past. I don't think many of you realise how ridiculous you sound.

In other words you are saying it's fine to forget it happened and hide anything related to it ever occurring is that right?

Talk about that episode of Enterprise being pertinent. That does a complete disservice to those very people who suffered under that regime.

That isn't what they do. You literally have no clue what you are talking about.

I think by actually asking a question I was seeking clarity on a point of what you were trying to say and was pretty clear on the question I asked. By not answering that question and instead saying i have no clue about anything suggests to me I have hit to close to home. Sorry.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    Bluebeard1 wrote: »
    - This thread is full of people getting self righteously angry about a German law forbidding the use of Nazi imagery in certain contexts
    - Those people have no knowledge of the law or what it applies to, and are acting as though Germany is deliberately trying to bury the past. They are not. Everyone saying they are sounds like a complete moron

- The German law is about preventing the glorification and resurgence of an abhorrent ideology, and people in this thread have been mostly far too dense to understand that, but instead think they're incredibly enlightened.

Please show a quote of a person being "self righteously angry about German law" because I think I missed that one.

Second, where is the glorification? I don't see it...

Literally every person saying "This is censorship!" "How can they bury the past?!" There's plenty of them.

I can't help you if you don't see the motivations behind the law. I have better things to do.
  • RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, how about that local sports team, huh? Sporting it up and such.
This discussion has been closed.