Home The Bridge

Pulaski FTM

Comments

• Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread makes me happy too! It's actually showing how folks with differing opinions can get along with each other. Perfect Trekkie behaviour :)

I totally understand @clone's feelings regarding non-canon items within the game. When I first started playing, I felt exactly the same way and balked at anything that wasn't. I mean, you only have to look at some of DB's creations, and wonder what they were thinking:
    • Army Chaplain Odo, nice art, but for those of us who never saw M*A*S*H the reference is lost on us.
    • Mirror Data, terrible art but has to be included to make up the Mirror TNG collection which for the most part is cool.
    • The Simpson/Infinity Planet.... WTF is it meant to be? And WHY?
    • Potato Martok, I'm sure it's established in DS9 that he lost his eye at the hands of the Jem'Hadar... and the art is really awfull!

However, some of DBs creations have been really cool. And if it makes sense (such as Pulaski wearing the VOY uniform) then I'm cool with that.

One thing I will say though, is that there are loads of genuine canon characters from Trek that we are yet to see in the game.

Okay. I'ma ask. Since I am stumped.

"Simpson Planet"?

https://www.megaplanet.com Is the website of the artist who inspired the Infiniti planet.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    This thread makes me happy too! It's actually showing how folks with differing opinions can get along with each other. Perfect Trekkie behaviour :)

I totally understand @clone's feelings regarding non-canon items within the game. When I first started playing, I felt exactly the same way and balked at anything that wasn't. I mean, you only have to look at some of DB's creations, and wonder what they were thinking:
    • Army Chaplain Odo, nice art, but for those of us who never saw M*A*S*H the reference is lost on us.
    • Mirror Data, terrible art but has to be included to make up the Mirror TNG collection which for the most part is cool.
    • Potato Martok, I'm sure it's established in DS9 that he lost his eye at the hands of the Jem'Hadar... and the art is really awfull!

However, some of DBs creations have been really cool. And if it makes sense (such as Pulaski wearing the VOY uniform) then I'm cool with that.

One thing I will say though, is that there are loads of genuine canon characters from Trek that we are yet to see in the game.

Okay. I'ma ask. Since I am stumped.

"Simpson Planet"?

https://www.megaplanet.com Is the website of the artist who inspired the Infiniti planet.

Thanx. Thought it had something to do with Bart or something....
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    it's that new planet they put in with the recent Disco episodes
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • That Pachelbel sure knew his way around a Canon.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nomad (FADM:Patterns of Force) the second is canon but the first is a cannon. Knowing the difference could save lives.

..and that is today's Top Gear Top Tip! :smiley::joy:
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • [ISA] Big McLargeHuge[ISA] Big McLargeHuge ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ByloBand wrote: »
    The Voyager episode "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" features the Emergency Command Hologram bluffing his way out of trouble with a completely fictional device called a photonic cannon. Now let's say that it turns out the Nick Cannon is a huge Star Trek fan, and the development team decide to make a tribute crew card for him by creating a Captain Cannon using his likeness. And let's say that to introduce a new ship for a skirmish event, the developers fabricate a story by which the Maquis steal a defiant class ship and rename it The Cannon, and just for fun DB decided to have that ship equipped with a photonic cannon.

You could have a non-canon Captain Cannon command a non-canon Cannon complete with a non-canon cannon.

tjqfp4iwmxys.jpeg
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Infinity" planet for the Disco missions. Looks like psychedelic mushrooms have taken over. Very 1960's.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clone wrote: »
    My argument for Yelgrun being non-canon is the same as for Agent Janeway: there’s a trait that is antithetical to the character.

The Vorta are depicted as being incapable of appreciating or creating art, music, etc. Yelgrun having the Musician trait makes about as much sense as Janeway being a Section 32 agent.

Here’s a thought experiment...if the impossible happened and we got Lieutenant “al-Hussein” from Voyager:

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

And he happened to have the Royalty trait, would that be a huge problem for you?

The more I think about it, this would make for a really cool 3* crew addition. SCI/DIP/COM or SCI/DIP/SEC with Human, Federation, Starfleet, and Royalty...I bet the King would be excited about it, too.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg
    And he happened to have the Royalty trait, would that be a huge problem for you?

I think this is a more benign example. That trait wouldn’t contradict established canon in the way Yelgeun’s musician trait did. Putting Musician on Yelgrun showed that the developer cares more about making an in-joke than about respecting the canon. That’s their decision to make, and I will keep petitioning them to add Yelgrun to the “DB Originals” heap.
    ByloBand wrote: »
    You could have a non-canon Captain Cannon command a non-canon Cannon complete with a non-canon cannon.

ByloBand please marry me.
    cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

I think this is a more benign example. That trait wouldn’t contradict established canon in the way Yelgeun’s musician trait did. Putting Musician on Yelgrun showed that the developer cares more about making an in-joke than about respecting the canon. That’s their decision to make, and I will keep petitioning them to add Yelgrun to the “DB Originals” heap.

It was the first example that came to mind...as little as we know of domestic life on Earth and its colonies, I think it is safe to say that there are few royal families left anywhere in the Federation and especially among humans, though we don’t have any hard evidence one way or the other.

There is plenty to debate about fully non-canon characters - some were well-done like Assimilated Troi, some are just confusing and unnecessary like Augment Riker - but I just don’t get the level of frustration with Yelgrun’s musician trait. As someone who has likely been accused multiple times of taking Trek too seriously, even I think it’s a fun addition that doesn’t do any real harm.
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    My argument for Yelgrun being non-canon is the same as for Agent Janeway: there’s a trait that is antithetical to the character.

The Vorta are depicted as being incapable of appreciating or creating art, music, etc. Yelgrun having the Musician trait makes about as much sense as Janeway being a Section 32 agent.

Here’s a thought experiment...if the impossible happened and we got Lieutenant “al-Hussein” from Voyager:

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

The more I think about it, this would make for a really cool 3* crew addition. SCI/DIP/COM or SCI/DIP/SEC with Human, Federation, Starfleet, and Royalty...I bet the King would be excited about it, too.

Considering His Majesty actually played this game at the very beginning (but has not in a very long time) it would be the first case of a player getting a card - who happened to be an extra in an episode - who happens to be a King.

Also, it's a game. It's all going to be gone in a few years anyway (sadly). If DB wants to give Spock the new "funky" trait, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
  • Clone wrote: »
    cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

It was the first example that came to mind...as little as we know of domestic life on Earth and its colonies, I think it is safe to say that there are few royal families left anywhere in the Federation and especially among humans, though we don’t have any hard evidence one way or the other.

There is plenty to debate about fully non-canon characters - some were well-done like Assimilated Troi, some are just confusing and unnecessary like Augment Riker - but I just don’t get the level of frustration with Yelgrun’s musician trait. As someone who has likely been accused multiple times of taking Trek too seriously, even I think it’s a fun addition that doesn’t do any real harm.

More than that, we're arguing about traits making a character real or not? Traits are at best a secondary concern, especially leisure-based ones like that. How do we know what he does in his spare time? It is a version of an on-screen character. It's canon.
  • CloneClone ✭✭✭
    More than that, we're arguing about traits making a character real or not? Traits are at best a secondary concern, especially leisure-based ones like that. How do we know what he does in his spare time? It is a version of an on-screen character. It's canon.

I have to disagree with you here. "Agent Janeway" looks exactly like a version of Janeway from an episode, but Janeway was never in Section 31, and Section 31 was not part of that episode. Further, Captain Janeway is consistently depicted as a very morally-upright, by-the-book Starfleet officer -- the opposite of how Section 31 is depicted in that era. This is what makes Agent Janeway non-canon.

DisruptorBeam has already agreed to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon due to that trait, after initially considering her a canon character. The same logic applies to Yelgrun. If that makes me a Yelgrun Truther, so be it.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

350?cb=20070519132707&path-prefix=en

With the "caregiver" trait. You know, since he's a Family Guy.

and a Comedian trait, and a Captain trait cuz, you know, he's friggin Captain Ed Mercer, etc.

DisruptorBeam has already agreed to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon due to that trait, after initially considering her a canon character.

They haven't though. They removed the trait, but she is not in the "Timelines' Originals" collection, which is the only "official" way I know of for DB to designate a character non-canon. AFAIK there has never been another statement on that particular card.

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Considering His Majesty actually played this game at the very beginning (but has not in a very long time) it would be the first case of a player getting a card - who happened to be an extra in an episode - who happens to be a King.

This is something I did not know...very cool indeed.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

DisruptorBeam has already agreed to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon due to that trait, after initially considering her a canon character.

They haven't though. They removed the trait, but she is not in the "Timelines' Originals" collection, which is the only "official" way I know of for DB to designate a character non-canon. AFAIK there has never been another statement on that particular card.

There are some non-canon crew in game that are not timelines originals either.

The TNG mirror crew are all from a comic series - not canon, but not a DB/timelines original.

The TNG mirror crew are all from a comic series - not canon, but not a DB/timelines creation either.

Oh yeah, definitely agree. That's the same argument for Pulaski not being in that collection. I don't know if DB agrees that that makes them non-canon, which is what was being argued here.
  • Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭

The TNG mirror crew are all from a comic series - not canon, but not a DB/timelines creation either.

Oh yeah, definitely agree. That's the same argument for Pulaski not being in that collection. I don't know if DB agrees that that makes them non-canon, which is what was being argued here.

This latest Pulaski wasn’t ever onscreen, so she’s not canon.

She’s from a comic, so isn’t a DB original creation.

How she’s classified in that respect isn’t really a decision for DB. But DB have the choice whether to give us canon crew or not in the first place.

Forgot to ask about "Tater 'Tok". Which Martok is that? And what is his issue? The missing eye?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    Yateball wrote: »

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

350?cb=20070519132707&path-prefix=en

With the "caregiver" trait. You know, since he's a Family Guy.

and a Comedian trait, and a Captain trait cuz, you know, he's friggin Captain Ed Mercer, etc.

Just watched all of Season One on Hulu Free Trial. People complain it is a rip-off of Star Trek. I disagree. I think it is a very loving homage to Star Trek. They have even had guest stars from Star Trek, and directors that are Trek alumni.

And has one of the best catchphrases ever for a character:

"Lieutenant, you wanna open this jar of pickles for me?"
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Forgot to ask about "Tater 'Tok". Which Martok is that? And what is his issue? The missing eye?

For me the fact 23rd century Martok would still have both eyes. Also did not care for his ridged head pasted on a TOS body. Since TOS Klingons are now a Augment failure. I would rather they gave him the normal makeup for TOS Klingons. Thus implying he had cranial ridge surgery (cannot remember what Antaak Called it)
    edited March 2019
    WaldoMag wrote: »

For me the fact 23rd century Martok would still have both eyes. Also did not care for his ridged head pasted on a TOS body. Since TOS Klingons are now a Augment failure. I would rather they gave him the normal makeup for TOS Klingons. Thus implying he had cranial ridge surgery (cannot remeber what Antaak Called it)

Something like "Cranial Ridge Reconstructive Surgery, I think. Yeah, 23rd Martok should have both eyes and a TOS Forehead.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @DScottHewitt
    That was it. I could not think of the word reconstructive. I was thinking more like plastic surgery.
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Thanks @DScottHewitt
    That was it. I could not think of the word reconstructive. I was thinking more like plastic surgery.

I got the box set couple months ago. Saw that episode a but ago, but it is at least close to what he said, taking into account my old brain and rememory issues.......
  • edited March 2019
    DisruptorBeam has already agreed to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon due to that trait, after initially considering her a canon character. The same logic applies to Yelgrun. If that makes me a Yelgrun Truther, so be it.

I have to disagree with you on DB agreeing to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon. Here's a quote from another thread from @SunshineRiker. Saying something is a bug isn't the same as saying she's non-canon .
    Looks like the Uhura question was answered.

Prince Bashir looks to be a mistake. I'll inform the developers.

We consider Agent Janeway to be a canon character, BUT you rightly point out an issue with the Section 31 affiliation. I've put in a bug to have Section 31 removed from that crew.

Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn