Home The Bridge

Pulaski FTM

13»

Comments

• YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Clone wrote: »
    My argument for Yelgrun being non-canon is the same as for Agent Janeway: there’s a trait that is antithetical to the character.

The Vorta are depicted as being incapable of appreciating or creating art, music, etc. Yelgrun having the Musician trait makes about as much sense as Janeway being a Section 32 agent.

Here’s a thought experiment...if the impossible happened and we got Lieutenant “al-Hussein” from Voyager:

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

And he happened to have the Royalty trait, would that be a huge problem for you?

The more I think about it, this would make for a really cool 3* crew addition. SCI/DIP/COM or SCI/DIP/SEC with Human, Federation, Starfleet, and Royalty...I bet the King would be excited about it, too.

Or give us Ensign Rivers

350?cb=20070519132707&path-prefix=en

With the "caregiver" trait. You know, since he's a Family Guy.

and a Comedian trait, and a Captain trait cuz, you know, he's friggin Captain Ed Mercer, etc.

Just watched all of Season One on Hulu Free Trial. People complain it is a rip-off of Star Trek. I disagree. I think it is a very loving homage to Star Trek. They have even had guest stars from Star Trek, and directors that are Trek alumni.

And has one of the best catchphrases ever for a character:

"Lieutenant, you wanna open this jar of pickles for me?"

I'm one of the (I guess) oddities that's loving Discovery AND loving The Orville... I'm just a science fiction whoooooore I guess.

Gordon's leg scene/practical joke is the best so far for me on The Orville
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    My argument for Yelgrun being non-canon is the same as for Agent Janeway: there’s a trait that is antithetical to the character.

The Vorta are depicted as being incapable of appreciating or creating art, music, etc. Yelgrun having the Musician trait makes about as much sense as Janeway being a Section 32 agent.

Here’s a thought experiment...if the impossible happened and we got Lieutenant “al-Hussein” from Voyager:

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

And he happened to have the Royalty trait, would that be a huge problem for you?

The more I think about it, this would make for a really cool 3* crew addition. SCI/DIP/COM or SCI/DIP/SEC with Human, Federation, Starfleet, and Royalty...I bet the King would be excited about it, too.

Or give us Ensign Rivers

and a Comedian trait, and a Captain trait cuz, you know, he's friggin Captain Ed Mercer, etc.

Just watched all of Season One on Hulu Free Trial. People complain it is a rip-off of Star Trek. I disagree. I think it is a very loving homage to Star Trek. They have even had guest stars from Star Trek, and directors that are Trek alumni.

I'm one of the (I guess) oddities that's loving Discovery AND loving The Orville... I'm just a science fiction whoooooore I guess.

We now have an answer to the question, "Precisely how many 'o's' does it take to trick the automatic censor?"

B)
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ByloBand wrote: »

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

We now have an answer to the question, "Precisely how many 'o's' does it take to trick the automatic censor?"

B)

Hahaha you caught that eh? Maybe the censor could just sense I was using it light heartedly and about myself vs. calling someone one? :D
  • Yateball wrote: »
    ByloBand wrote: »

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

B)

Hahaha you caught that eh? Maybe the censor could just sense I was using it light heartedly and about myself vs. calling someone one? :D

I just read it as you singing. Which was awesome anyway.
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

I'm going to have to look into the Orville. I enjoy science fiction, too. I also really like Stargate and like Babylon 5.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    DisruptorBeam has already agreed to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon due to that trait, after initially considering her a canon character. The same logic applies to Yelgrun. If that makes me a Yelgrun Truther, so be it.

I have to disagree with you on DB agreeing to recognize Agent Janeway as non-canon. Here's a quote from another thread from @SunshineRiker. Saying something is a bug isn't the same as saying she's non-canon .
    Looks like the Uhura question was answered.

Prince Bashir looks to be a mistake. I'll inform the developers.

We consider Agent Janeway to be a canon character, BUT you rightly point out an issue with the Section 31 affiliation. I've put in a bug to have Section 31 removed from that crew.

Except it was definitely not a "bug". A total of one person questioned why Section 31 Janeway {it from her having to team up with Section 31 in the Event she was introduced in} had the Section 31 Trait. So, it was retconned right before an Event where Section 31 was a Bonus Trait. It was SeskaGate before there was a SeskaGate..........
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

I wanna make a meme about the greatest first practical joke ever!!!!!

Yeah, it is a comedy. But every episode you could probably find a very Star Trekkian message before the end of the episode.

The "American Idol "Justice" System" episode was a great commentary on the dangers of reality TV getting out of control, for instance. Or Kelly becoming a God because she would not let a child she caused to be injured to suffer. Or is it more wrong to force a newborn child to conform to your culture, or to impose your morals and beliefs on a culture you do not understand?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    edited March 2019

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

I'm going to have to look into the Orville. I enjoy science fiction, too. I also really like Stargate and like Babylon 5.

Hulu has all the Star Treks, except Disco and maybe TAS. Also has The Orville, all three SG series, both Outer Limits, and first and second Twilight Zones. Battlestar Galactica, as well. The Expanse.

Oh, and Runaways, Cloak & Dazzler, Legion, and The Gifted Marvel Shows..........

Free for 30 days.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

Yeah, it is a comedy. But every episode you could probably find a very Star Trekkian message before the end of the episode.

The "American Idol "Justice" System" episode was a great commentary on the dangers of reality TV getting out of control, for instance. Or Kelly becoming a God because she would not let a child she caused to be injured to suffer. Or is it more wrong to force a newborn child to conform to your culture, or to impose your morals and beliefs on a culture you do not understand?

You’ve hit the nail on the head. The Orville has the kind of humor you could expect from a Seth MacFarlane show while also tackling some very tough issues that are relevant to today’s society.

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

You’ve hit the nail on the head. The Orville has the kind of humor you could expect from a Seth MacFarlane show while also tackling some very tough issues that are relevant to today’s society.

Very true. I think it is a great balance of comedy and dramatic issues.
    edited March 2019

cih9frzsnk0j.jpeg

Or give us Ensign Rivers

I just watched "Hatchery" episode of Enterprise. Perfect example. The only reason Archer tried to save Xindi babies was because he got spooged by that neurotoxin in the nest.

When Ed and Gordon had to stop a Krill superweapon, they went out of their way to protect the kids on board the ship. Ed even risked his life to save one kid that was out of the safe area. Not because his mind was poisoned, but because it was the right and honourable thing to do. As James Kirk said, "Anyone can lose gracefully. The important thing is to always win gracefully."

=======================================

And Star Trek will never do an episode where the Enterprise diverts to a Crewmember's home planet so the entire crew can watch the Number Two do a number one!!!!!

I just wish there would be an episode of "The Orville" where someone offhandedly says something like "Thank Goodness we did not let a few early missteps stop genetic research. It's great to have almost no diseases."
  • It is cannon that there are an infinite number of branching timelines, so it's by no means a stretch to suggest that there's one where Pulaski's still in Starfleet 5 years after her time on the Enterprise. Likewise, it's reasonable to imagine that there would be a Picard in the Mirror universe and that somewhere there is a universe where the whole Enterprise got assimilated by the Borg. I would be surprised if either of those things weren't true. It's totally reasonable to be less excited by those cards you haven't actually seen onscreen, but given the premise of the game it would be odd if we only encountered people from universes we've seen before.

What bothers me more than the non-cannon characters are the 'anti-cannon' characters that seem to be based on actual moments from the shows but contradict them. If Martok is dressed to go undercover in the 23rd century, what's with his head? How does dressing as Watson give LaForge medical skills? Was that WWII era version of Paris actually a combat medic, and did he even remember what starfleet was?
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The art for Dr. Katherine Pulaski, per Shan in another thread, is based on a comic book version of her. By definition, a non-canon variant. So why would a player calling himself/herself "Stick To Canon Please" bother to make the effort to FTM this card?

(This is not sour grapes. I did not attempt to FTM her. I'm just trying to understand the logic.)

Putting "Stick to Canon Please" on Pulaski's FTM line was my artwork. Since you asked for the logic, here's the short version:

I wanted a new Medical character and had the chrons for a galaxy event. Though I do often skip events with non-canon trash, Pulaski's stats are so good that I would have at least gone for a 1/5 on her. So I flew the event under a protest banner. And I'll be completely honest with you: Getting that name on her FTM line justified the eyestrain, headache, and fatigue from spending 76,000 chrons in 47 hours (plus the 50k honor for the last star).

As for the canonicity (which came up in some responses): She is definitely not canon. In Star Trek, the official canon consists only of what's been shown on-screen, and doesn't include any books, comics, or other works of fanfic. But for me, this Pulaski is some of the least-awful non-canon work in Timelines, because it's a very plausible variant where they just updated the uniform by 5 years. From my perspective, the developers did far worse (and sometimes crossed the line into offensive territory) with non-canon trash like Army Chaplain Odo, Potato Martok, Augment Picard/Riker, COP Founder Picard, Agent Janeway, or Yelgrun.

Ultimately, when it comes to canon and non-canon characters in this game, I'm an idealist, not a zealot. So I hope you'll see my "Stick to Canon Please" label on Non-Canon Pulaski as irony, not hypocrisy.

Yelgrun? Are you kidding me. He was in the season 6 of DS9.
    S31 wrote: »
    The art for Dr. Katherine Pulaski, per Shan in another thread, is based on a comic book version of her. By definition, a non-canon variant. So why would a player calling himself/herself "Stick To Canon Please" bother to make the effort to FTM this card?

(This is not sour grapes. I did not attempt to FTM her. I'm just trying to understand the logic.)

Putting "Stick to Canon Please" on Pulaski's FTM line was my artwork. Since you asked for the logic, here's the short version:

I wanted a new Medical character and had the chrons for a galaxy event. Though I do often skip events with non-canon trash, Pulaski's stats are so good that I would have at least gone for a 1/5 on her. So I flew the event under a protest banner. And I'll be completely honest with you: Getting that name on her FTM line justified the eyestrain, headache, and fatigue from spending 76,000 chrons in 47 hours (plus the 50k honor for the last star).

As for the canonicity (which came up in some responses): She is definitely not canon. In Star Trek, the official canon consists only of what's been shown on-screen, and doesn't include any books, comics, or other works of fanfic. But for me, this Pulaski is some of the least-awful non-canon work in Timelines, because it's a very plausible variant where they just updated the uniform by 5 years. From my perspective, the developers did far worse (and sometimes crossed the line into offensive territory) with non-canon trash like Army Chaplain Odo, Potato Martok, Augment Picard/Riker, COP Founder Picard, Agent Janeway, or Yelgrun.

Ultimately, when it comes to canon and non-canon characters in this game, I'm an idealist, not a zealot. So I hope you'll see my "Stick to Canon Please" label on Non-Canon Pulaski as irony, not hypocrisy.

Yelgrun? Are you kidding me. He was in the season 6 of DS9.

There's a whole thing about the Musician Trait.......
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, Yelgrun could be a musician. Obviously Vorta aren't supposed to be musical, but they presumably aren't supposed to help the Dominion's enemies either, yet Weyoun 6 happened. I kind of like to imagine Yelgrun's similarly defective, but it just doesn't cause any trouble (or he keeps it private - Keevan amply demonstrated that Vorta can be very into self-preservation), so nobody's noticed/bothered to purge him and warm up the next clone.
  • What bothers me more than the non-cannon characters are the 'anti-cannon' characters that seem to be based on actual moments from the shows but contradict them. If Martok is dressed to go undercover in the 23rd century, what's with his head? How does dressing as Watson give LaForge medical skills? Was that WWII era version of Paris actually a combat medic, and did he even remember what starfleet was?
    Are you actually bothered by that, or is it just something you've noticed that feels off[/quote]

It's just something that feels off to me. Life's too short to really be bothered by anything in a free mobile game.