Home Ready Room
Options

The Big Book of Behold Advice

Comments

• Options
    Vid wrote: »
    Alos, whilst I'm at it, I'm not convinced that gauntlet strength or otherwise is particularly relevent in the tiers, maybe as a bonus to move up a level, but overall, fairly pointless given the top 'prize' is another gauntlet character, that yuo don't actually getting for winning ......

Just to pick up on this last point but this is the big book of behold advice, chances are you are looking at this document because you are unlocking a crew at 1/5 and you're not sure of their use. Gauntlet would therefore be a strong argument for choosing a new card (as you only ever need them at 1/5) also high proficiency can make that card a stronger than the average 1/5 in terms of voyage score (because by fully equipping them you have unlocked their overall voyage potential much sooner), so they may make more voyages than others at 1/5.

I won't go down the gauntlet argument as there is extensive arguments on the forum about the Pros and Cons of participating in gauntlet. My view will remain that there is far more pros to cons.

Gauntlet proficiency is taken into account; cards like Chancellor Gowron, for instance, are rated significantly higher in the Book than they would otherwise be, purely because of their Gauntlet utility. Remember though, the Book is evaluating crew as if they were 5/5 (or 4/4) and comparing their strengths/weaknesses at full strength. There is a "one-star wonders" section highlighting cards that gain most of their strength and usefulness at a single star, but otherwise determining which cards are best at 1/5 is not explicity taken into account for ranking purposes.
  • Options
    The ability for gauntlet crew to increase the odds to win you other gauntlet crew with only 1/5 is IMO extremely valuable. All non-gauntlet crew require an extreme amount of honor to fully fuse or spending money, while gauntlet crew can be fully fused with zero honor and dedication to keep playing gauntlet like daily rewards.

They are also generally very useful elsewhere (locutus, caretaker, armus all good for voyages, even guinan to a lesser degree, and locutus for events where many picard variants are legendary). Ever since they released all gauntlet crew could drop, it's been a FAR more valuable source of crew drops even though it takes lots of rounds to get them. I am 2 stars away from the achievement of having them all FF, and I am around 16.5k rounds of gauntlet played. I had neither locutus or guinan before the drop update, and only 1/5 caretaker. I've also got 2xFF Armus and have airlocked one so far.

While I can understand feeling frustrated playing gauntlet is brutal before you have any of them, stick to it. They DO eventually drop, and it becomes a lot easier to maintain streaks or rank once they do.
  • Options
    I'm stepping away from the Big Book - a lack of time and desire. The other two authors will continue doing a great job maintaining and growing the doc. As always, look me up on Reddit, official forums, or Discord (Automaton_2000#8490) if you want to talk shop or are looking for more personalized advice and discussion than what the Book offers.

Thank you for starting this invaluable resource I still use constantly. Your recommendations and ranking criteria have taught me so much about how to help select and prioritize my crew.
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    I'm stepping away from the Big Book - a lack of time and desire. The other two authors will continue doing a great job maintaining and growing the doc. As always, look me up on Reddit, official forums, or Discord (Automaton_2000#8490) if you want to talk shop or are looking for more personalized advice and discussion than what the Book offers.

Ahhhh!!! No more awesome write-ups???

My favorite ones are Humbled Archer (it’s a pretty simple joke, but Scott Bakula’s ”frontula” always cracked me up, to the point if I’m skimming the Big Book I’ll always stop to read Humbled Archer) and whatever crew you have the Seinfeld clip, “They’re real...and they’re fabulous!” (Which crew is that??)

Anyway, despite my highlighting these two, the write ups were *all* fabulous!
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your hard work putting everything together. It was invaluable to me as I started to build my fledgling crew, and is still a key resource. LLAP
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for starting and maintaining the BB for so long. It is so useful and funny and simply awesome.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whatever crew you have the Seinfeld clip, “They’re real...and they’re fabulous!” (Which crew is that??)

That would be White Rabbit. I also enjoyed Naked Phlox and if anyone asks, my last note was Runaway Po.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks to the other authors for keeping things going longer than it would have gone otherwise.
  • Options
    Not sure if the other authors read this thread, but just wondering if they were planning on doing a note for theRand that was in the Tuesday pack?
  • Options
    The Big Book will not be updated for the foreseeable future. Keeping a standard of quality for each individual crew now numbering over 600 requires an increasing amount of time and passion. Work may or may not resume sometime next year, or perhaps on one of many alternative resources we've discussed - for now we'll just be enjoying the game and the holidays :)

Thanks for the support and constructive criticism from everyone. If you're looking for help with crew decisions, I recommend The Do Not Airlock Checklist, DataCore, and The level 100 spreadsheet and always feel free to message one of us for personalized advice.

🙁 Sorry to hear that, but thanks to everyone who worked on this for such a long time.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and good rest!
  • Options
    Oh no, say it ain't so! I will sorely miss this resource, and hope one day it will continue being developed. Can't say enough how much I appreciate all the work that's gone into it, and the entertaining humor added was very welcome.
  • Options
    Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we have a support group for those who are indecisive?
  • Options
    Oh no, say it ain't so! I will sorely miss this resource, and hope one day it will continue being developed. Can't say enough how much I appreciate all the work that's gone into it, and the entertaining humor added was very welcome.

My sentiments exactly. Thanks for all the entertainment/ assistance you have given us. All the best and hopefully we will hear from you in the new year.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Automaton_2000 . I've used The Book for quite some time. And I recommended it to every new member of our fleet family. I was possibly the biggest fan of your work. I think I can finally make my own decisions based on all the descriptions and having a better understanding of my own crew.
    Thank you for all the help you've given me over the months. And the entertainment.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Thanks for all the work @Automaton_2000 and the other authors - I really enjoyed reading the descriptions.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Automaton_2000 for your excellent contribution and singular wit. Best wishes and happy holidays.
  • Options
    As a player who has been here since day 1 I cant tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for us @Automaton_2000

I think many on here have seen my name on event rankings. I couldnt have done this well without the help of the Big Book.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

-Captain T-Bone
  • Options
    The Big Book will not be updated for the foreseeable future. …

You have done a great service for the community, but self-care is more important. Thanks so much for all the help I and others have received from the Big Book.
  • Options
    @Automaton_2000 - perhaps you and the others would consider monetizing this to keep it going? I know I and others in my fleet would pay a small monthly contribution to keep it going. If you had say, 3'000 regular users each paying £1/$1 a month, it might be worth considering?

You've done such a wonderful job with this, and I know so many of us rely upon it to keep us going in the right direction - it's such a valuable tool I'm sure there are plenty of us who would pay you for your efforts.
  • Options
    We're working with a partner to streamline things and possibly continue the resource in the (near?) future.

The loss of this will be felt. Hopefully things work out. And if not, it was a good run.
  • Options
    mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for all the work @Automaton_2000 ! Really loved the big book :) Have a great and restful holiday
  • Options
    Thank you guys! I'm psyched to see it back in any form, let alone with a little facelift.
  • Options
    thank you to all of you as always for working so hard on these great community resources!
  • Options
    Madman1Madman1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone involved. This is a fantastic resource and it's great to see it continue.
  • Options
    Thank you both! As an iPad player, the “new” big book is easier to navigate for me. Thank you!