Home Ready Room
Options

When Do You Know It’s Time To Retire?

My fleet lost a legend recently. When or what would you guys put in your reasons for quitting. For me it’s gauntlet RNG and DB’s lack of up frontness of people that paid for IAmpicard to cheat the system.

Best Answers

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    I put way too much money into this game to ever retire from it. I will say that IamPicard cheat really burned me up but it’s not the companies fault. I’m like you @Picard loves Reds I understand mistakes happen and I can easily forgive them. It’s gotta be tough for DB cuz when we make mistakes at work mass people don’t go into a forum to heckle us about it. The only thing that really ever got my blood boiling about this game is the IamPicard thing and again, that wasn’t the companies doing.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I put way too much money into this game to ever retire from it.

That is the wrong way to approach it though. I may have bought expensive clothes some years back. By now my likings and taste have changed completely so I don´t want to wear them anymore. Past spendings are in the past. You enjoying the game today and tomorrow should be the reasons. And since you are still very keen on rocking certain events gladly that is the case...

• Options
    Answer ✓
    All good answers
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I used the IAmPicard tool and was a proponent of it until I learned about the cheat from Frank and Roonis. I rarely selected the cheat button, so I don't if/how much of a gain I recieved. I hope DB is able to fix the inventory limit and replicator sort issues, those are currently the biggest pain points in the game...well except for Gauntlet RNG, LOL.

As for spending too much on this game, I cringe every time I look at my VIP total, but for the amount of time I spend on it the monthly spend is not unreasonable. I hope the game lasts for a long time as I enjoy both it and the forums.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I forgot macros. That burned me up too. Knowing I tapped my fingers to the bone for four days and finish in 4th or 5th place while the person who won used the crock pot set it and forget it. Same thing as factions. Stockpiles and bought resources for months only to find out some fools were getting 40,000 points for each shuttle while I finish in 4th. Very upsetting but again, neither of those are DB’s fault so I do not fault them
  • Options
    eXo | RodenberryPieeXo | RodenberryPie ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I hope I'm not violating any rules here but what exactly were the cheats in the IamPicard mod. It was before my time, so I'm curious what exactly someone could do to cheat besides automate a lot of the services in this game (shuttles, etc).
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I hope I'm not violating any rules here but what exactly were the cheats in the IamPicard mod. It was before my time, so I'm curious what exactly someone could do to cheat besides automate a lot of the services in this game (shuttles, etc).
    I’m not sure how the cheat worked but I seen that peeps from a top fleet getting 4000+ chron per voyage. So if you missed top 1000 by a few, you probably lost it to a cheater.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I forgot macros. That burned me up too. Knowing I tapped my fingers to the bone for four days and finish in 4th or 5th place while the person who won used the crock pot set it and forget it. Same thing as factions. Stockpiles and bought resources for months only to find out some fools were getting 40,000 points for each shuttle while I finish in 4th. Very upsetting but again, neither of those are DB’s fault so I do not fault them
    DB supported iampicard so it’s just their fault as much as the people that used the exploit.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DB supported iampicard so it’s just their fault as much as the people that used the exploit.

They supported it not knowing it was used to cheat. 4,000 chrons per voyage, dozens of 4* crew which led to tons of honor, and 40,000 VP for a shuttle in a faction mission.had they known this was happening they certainly would not have supported it. When they found out, they began looking into it and the creator ran in shame, looking like Sammy Sosa when they found his corked bat

• Options
    Answer ✓

They supported it not knowing it was used to cheat. 4,000 chrons per voyage, dozens of 4* crew which led to tons of honor, and 40,000 VP for a shuttle in a faction mission.had they known this was happening they certainly would not have supported it. When they found out, they began looking into it and the creator ran in shame, looking like Sammy Sosa when they found his corked bat

Damn it was worse then I thought.

• Options
    muwoomuwoo ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree that the time to quit playing is when you don't enjoy it anymore. I've been playing for a year and am working on getting to 8 hours (not even close yet) so I've got a fun goal ahead of me. I'm also at the point where I'm starting to get decent 4* crew so I enjoy the daily stuff. If that changes then I'll quit but until then...Engage!
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have been playing for over a year and a half now. Around Christmas time, I started to get burnout from the events (especially once they pushed out the rewards table). I decided I was only going to play for fun and occasionally go for a legendary in an event when I enjoyed the event and had time. Otherwise, keeping up with all the new crew is near impossible.

Mistakes by DB will happen, which don't irritate me as much as they used to, because they are human and they have started to do a little better with global CS. This Iampicard business irritates me a bit though and they should have been more on top of it.

I actually enjoy the daily tasks and voyages more than the events because I can skip dailies if I am busy and I only play events as far as I can go without worrying about rank. However, if the game stops being fun, then I would retire.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The criteria I have used in other persistent games is this: when it feels more like work than like a game, it’s time to pull back a bit or just pull out completely. I really loved Star Wars Combine and played an hour or two a day every day for seven or eight years, but by the end it felt like a job instead of a fun RPG and I haven’t logged in once in at least a year. OGame, Cyber Nations, NationStates (the first one, NS2 was shut down for reasons I don’t recall), Astro Empires, Politics & War...I left each one for the same reason.

Having good friends who play helped extend some of those longer than they might otherwise have gone, of course. And some of those Internet game friends even became real friends outside the game. But they can come and go over time, and it can be easier to pack it in rather than try to start over.

For me, I don’t know if that time will come for me in STT or not. What this has that the others never had is new content that inspires a great deal of nostalgia that keeps me interested. Even SWC couldn’t do that, based on how their agreement worked with Lucasfilm. So long as DB can continue to release new characters from all of the TV series and pre-Kelvinverse films, I imagine I will stick around for this reason alone.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I used the IAmPicard tool and was a proponent of it until I learned about the cheat from Frank and Roonis. I rarely selected the cheat button, so I don't if/how much of a gain I recieved. I hope DB is able to fix the inventory limit and replicator sort issues, those are currently the biggest pain points in the game...well except for Gauntlet RNG, LOL.

As for spending too much on this game, I cringe every time I look at my VIP total, but for the amount of time I spend on it the monthly spend is not unreasonable. I hope the game lasts for a long time as I enjoy both it and the forums.

Haha I cringe everytime I look at my VIP. I still can’t believe I’m at 14.

• Options
    Answer ✓

That Sammy Sosa line just brighten up my day by 100000%
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓

That Sammy Sosa line just brighten up my day by 100000%

I’ll nrver forget the picture in the Chicago Sun-atimes the next day. All you could see from the dugout were his eyes looking at the field. The rest of his body was slumped over hiding in shame. Not enough to take steroids huh? Had to cork your bat too?
  • Options
    5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The criteria I have used in other persistent games is this: when it feels more like work than like a game, it’s time to pull back a bit or just pull out completely. ...

LOL oh dear, then I'm way overdue.

For me, the point of questioning started when I ran out of game mechanics and $ traps to "outwit". New stuff like Campaigns are of course nice but also kind of mindless and mechanical. The obsessive collector in me will keep me going at mid-steam for a while, but less fervently.

I've gotten lured into spending enough time in the abomination that is STFC to put some of the debacles and injustices in STT in some perspective. Not to stage a false binary equivalence, but in the two places that I'm spending time, I think we have it overall pretty good over here in comparison. Not asking anyone to agree, that's just my calibration.
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I do wish I'd set up a better "push-ups to Star Trek Timelines" ratio over these past two years.

I'm not quite there with Timelines, but it's the hindsight that generally leads me to abandon a game. When I look back at the time/money I've spent on a game versus the time/money I could have spent on other things, etc...
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    VergilVergil ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry if this has been explained before, I wasn't around the forums to see it all happen. O: How did the exploit work like that to get so much out of shuttles and voyages? I thought it was just a separate program?
  • Options
    Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would also retire if I hit 10 begolds in a 10x premium pull. It would be like winning the DB RNG jackpot and I guess everything would be downhill after that. 🤗
  • Options
    [DC] Picard Loves Reds[DC] Picard Loves Reds ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Vergil wrote: »

Sorry if this has been explained before, I wasn't around the forums to see it all happen. O: How did the exploit work like that to get so much out of shuttles and voyages? I thought it was just a separate program?

Go to YouTube and watch the video "Measure of an App- Timelines Chat with Frank and Roonies" It about 45 minutes long, but gives all the details.
  • Options
    VergilVergil ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Go to YouTube and watch the video "Measure of an App- Timelines Chat with Frank and Roonies" It about 45 minutes long, but gives all the details.

Thanks for the recommendation! It really cleared things up. :')
  • Options
    Thanks to Frank and Roonis for an excellent explanation of what happened with the tool. I agree with @Vergil , it explains a lot.
  • Options
    Captain ZloggCaptain Zlogg ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Some here have said they spent too much to quit - like you've dug yourself into a hole. Just enjoy the game.
  • Options
    I’ve decided for me it will be either of

-it stops being fun (so far 3 years in, am ok. I’ve learned that I don’t have to play every event fully), or

-the day I get an all-dupe begold. If that happens I will retire that very day.
  • Options
    ShadowconmasterShadowconmaster ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I will probably never retire.....

Even though I have almost every 4* crew immed and only have the 5* crews left, I still feel like I can sign on every few hours and do 3 minutes of game play.

I don't know if people retire or just reduce their game play. When I started, I was on every hour, checking forums, checking the wiki, checking the crew builder site, so on and so forth.

After several years of experience, I don't check the wiki really anymore(maybe for the correct dilemma decision). I only check the forums for the next weeks events (most of my discussions I have is with fleet mates especially the newbies to the game and not the overall community).

I try and place only top 1500 now that the legendary crew is that high.

I only do eight 9 hour shuttles per day during non fraction events.

I only do 5 Arena battles per day.

I do all 6 cadets because they can now be warped

I am super stoked on the Campaign feature. I was starting to only do the monthly because of the dupe 4* crew. I feel like this feature has re energized my desire to play all my dailies.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    For me, it would probably be a combination of a decrease in the fun-to-chore ratio in STT, coupled with finding some other game to draw my attention/time. STT was the game that pulled my attention away from a dungeon crawler that I really used to like. For a while, I played both with equal devotion, but one day I realized it had been weeks since I'd picked up my battle ax. And that was how it ended - not really a conscious choice, just a failure to continue.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm reminded of this exchange from Lawrence of Arabia:
    Brighton : Lawrence will campaign this winter, but you have got what you wanted so you're going home. Is that it?

Auda abu Tayi : Of course. When Orens has got what he wanted, he will go home. When you have got what you wanted, you will go home.

Brighton : Oh, no I shan't, Auda.

Auda abu Tayi : Then you are a fool.

Brighton : Maybe, but I'm not a deserter!

Auda abu Tayi : Be thankful that when God made you a fool, he gave you a fool's face.

I don't know what it is that I want from this game. Whatever it is, I must not have gotten it yet. But when I do, then I will go home.