Home Ready Room
Options

When Do You Know It’s Time To Retire?

Answers

• Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reminded of this exchange from Lawrence of Arabia:
    Brighton : Lawrence will campaign this winter, but you have got what you wanted so you're going home. Is that it?

Auda abu Tayi : Of course. When Orens has got what he wanted, he will go home. When you have got what you wanted, you will go home.

Brighton : Oh, no I shan't, Auda.

Auda abu Tayi : Then you are a fool.

Brighton : Maybe, but I'm not a deserter!

Auda abu Tayi : Be thankful that when God made you a fool, he gave you a fool's face.

I don't know what it is that I want from this game. Whatever it is, I must not have gotten it yet. But when I do, then I will go home.
    Love this movie. One of my all time favorites!
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I'm reminded of this exchange from Lawrence of Arabia:
    Brighton : Lawrence will campaign this winter, but you have got what you wanted so you're going home. Is that it?

Auda abu Tayi : Of course. When Orens has got what he wanted, he will go home. When you have got what you wanted, you will go home.

Brighton : Oh, no I shan't, Auda.

Auda abu Tayi : Then you are a fool.

Brighton : Maybe, but I'm not a deserter!

Auda abu Tayi : Be thankful that when God made you a fool, he gave you a fool's face.

I don't know what it is that I want from this game. Whatever it is, I must not have gotten it yet. But when I do, then I will go home.
    Love this movie. One of my all time favorites!

@Shy Khan Mine, too! I dunno if you live near a participating theater, but they're showing it in September as part of the TCM Big Screen Classics series. I finally got to see it in a theater a few years ago and I am stoked about the chance to see it again in one!

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2019-lawrence-of-arabia-1962?date=2019-09-01
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I forgot macros. That burned me up too. Knowing I tapped my fingers to the bone for four days and finish in 4th or 5th place while the person who won used the crock pot set it and forget it. Same thing as factions. Stockpiles and bought resources for months only to find out some fools were getting 40,000 points for each shuttle while I finish in 4th. Very upsetting but again, neither of those are DB’s fault so I do not fault them
    DB supported iampicard so it’s just their fault as much as the people that used the exploit.

They supported it not knowing it was used to cheat. 4,000 chrons per voyage, dozens of 4* crew which led to tons of honor, and 40,000 VP for a shuttle in a faction mission.had they known this was happening they certainly would not have supported it. When they found out, they began looking into it and the creator ran in shame, looking like Sammy Sosa when they found his corked bat

That Sammy Sosa line just brighten up my day by 100000%

I’ll nrver forget the picture in the Chicago Sun-atimes the next day. All you could see from the dugout were his eyes looking at the field. The rest of his body was slumped over hiding in shame. Not enough to take steroids huh? Had to cork your bat too?

Ironically, corking a baseball bat for the purpose of hitting more homeruns is like putting bacon bits on a salad to make it more vegan.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know exactly how this is going to end for me: I'm not going to retire, I'll either burnout or the game will end.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably retire when I stop liking Star Trek or the game ends.
    (One of those things seems more likely than the other. ;) )
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: TL;DR
    When it's no longer fun. (Original post stopped here.)

I mean, that's pretty much it. Another way to put it is, have you accomplished all you want to in this game? For me it's not about the money, which really isn't a lot compared to some. The money is spent funds for entertainment I received, so I don't look at it in terms of money. I only have one thing left to accomplish, that is win an event. After that, I'm all too happy to walk away. After that, it just won't be fun for me. That "for me" part is the key. What do you want out of the game? Are you still getting that? At what point will you no longer get that? That's when it's time to walk away.

In my case, the only thing keeping me from my final goal is time. I have all the resources to win an event, except for the time to grind the many hours over the course of an event. Until then, I play on.

Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    ByloBand wrote: »
    I forgot macros. That burned me up too. Knowing I tapped my fingers to the bone for four days and finish in 4th or 5th place while the person who won used the crock pot set it and forget it. Same thing as factions. Stockpiles and bought resources for months only to find out some fools were getting 40,000 points for each shuttle while I finish in 4th. Very upsetting but again, neither of those are DB’s fault so I do not fault them
    DB supported iampicard so it’s just their fault as much as the people that used the exploit.

They supported it not knowing it was used to cheat. 4,000 chrons per voyage, dozens of 4* crew which led to tons of honor, and 40,000 VP for a shuttle in a faction mission.had they known this was happening they certainly would not have supported it. When they found out, they began looking into it and the creator ran in shame, looking like Sammy Sosa when they found his corked bat

I’ll nrver forget the picture in the Chicago Sun-atimes the next day. All you could see from the dugout were his eyes looking at the field. The rest of his body was slumped over hiding in shame. Not enough to take steroids huh? Had to cork your bat too?

Ironically, corking a baseball bat for the purpose of hitting more homeruns is like putting bacon bits on a salad to make it more vegan.

Most bacon bits are not real bacon. And if corking the bat didn’t help cheaters wouldn’t do it
  • Options

In my case, the only thing keeping me from my final goal is time. I have all the resources to win an event, except for the time to grind the many hours over the course of an event. Until then, I play on.

This.

I also have a feeling of responsibility for my fleet. I'm not the first admiral, but I am the longest tenured one. I hope to sit in the big chair for quite some while yet. ;)
    Admiral of the Inner Planets Alliance fleets
  • Options
    I feel the responsibility as well. I am the first Admiral of my fleet. And I enjoy the game.
  • Options

Most bacon bits are not real bacon. And if corking the bat didn’t help cheaters wouldn’t do it

To be fair, @ByloBand specified using corked bats to hit home runs as being pointless, and a 2011 article from the Smithsonian about what four scientists found about cheating in baseball supports that.

Besides, cheaters often cheat in the first place either out of desperation or to prove that they're cleverer than the chumps who play by the rules. From appearances, it seems that the latter may have been behind the IAP exploitation.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, @ByloBand specified using corked bats to hit home runs as being pointless, and a 2011 article from the Smithsonian about what four scientists found about cheating in baseball supports that.

Besides, cheaters often cheat in the first place either out of desperation or to prove that they're cleverer than the chumps who play by the rules. From appearances, it seems that the latter may have been behind the IAP exploitation.

I’ll go by the hitters who were actually out there using corked bats (Sammy Sosa, Albert Belle...) versus four dorks who couldn’t even hit a ball off a tee
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

I’ll go by the hitters who were actually out there using corked bats (Sammy Sosa, Albert Belle...) versus four dorks who couldn’t even hit a ball off a tee

Corked bats being worse is simply a matter of physics. The loss of mass from the barrel of the bat is not offset by the increase in bat speed. They showed this on Myth Busters pretty definitively.

My assumption is that somebody a long time ago corked their bat, "felt" it gave them an edge, and people just started copying it without looking at the results, and before long it just became a "fact". There are lots and lots of real world examples of this, where people just "know" that something works when in reality it actually achieves the opposite affect, the most common I can think of off the top of my head is how ALL OF US back in the 80s used to blow on the pins of our NES cartridges to get them to load when in reality this actually made it HARDER for the game to load, because the moisture from human breath attaches to the pins and starts to grow bacteria, adding layers of tissue on the pins making it that much harder for them to connect to the NES. But ask 100 80s kids about it and all 100 are going to tell you that blowing on the cartridges was the best solution.

Baseball players know baseball, not physics.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corked bats being worse is simply a matter of physics. The loss of mass from the barrel of the bat is not offset by the increase in bat speed. They showed this on Myth Busters pretty definitively.

My assumption is that somebody a long time ago corked their bat, "felt" it gave them an edge, and people just started copying it without looking at the results, and before long it just became a "fact". There are lots and lots of real world examples of this, where people just "know" that something works when in reality it actually achieves the opposite affect, the most common I can think of off the top of my head is how ALL OF US back in the 80s used to blow on the pins of our NES cartridges to get them to load when in reality this actually made it HARDER for the game to load, because the moisture from human breath attaches to the pins and starts to grow bacteria, adding layers of tissue on the pins making it that much harder for them to connect to the NES. But ask 100 80s kids about it and all 100 are going to tell you that blowing on the cartridges was the best solution.

But your not taking into account the bounce factor cork gives you on contact. It’s not about bat speed or weight, it about the bounce back reaction

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

But your not taking into account the bounce factor cork gives you on contact. It’s not about bat speed or weight, it about the bounce back reaction

Yes I am, that is just Newton's first law, and is the same principle as to why shake weights did't work.
  • Options
    Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the loss of mass is not offset by the increase in bat speed in DISTANCE hitting alone (does not make ball fly farther), that does not mean it does not give them an edge in having a few more milliseconds to see the ball's position and speed before beginning their swing to get it in the "sweet spot" of the bat because they've bought themselves a little bit more reaction time.

While the potential distance hit might not be increased, a faster swing can therefore be initiated later with more time to judge the ball and more accurately select good pitches and get better bat position.
  • Options

Those four dorks you're choosing not to go by proved there is no such "bounce factor" (or "trampoline effect", to use their term).

I will also note that I personally believed Sosa when he said his corked bat was just for batting practice. I saw him play a home game in Chicago in 2000, and I have never seen another ball player as dedicated to showmanship and entertaining spectators. He was an absolute joy to watch between innings, or during a time-out. I totally buy that he bought into the idea of there being some legit value to using one to bash a 450-footer.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those four dorks you're choosing not to go by proved there is no such "bounce factor" (or "trampoline effect", to use their term).

I will also note that I personally believed Sosa when he said his corked bat was just for batting practice. I saw him play a home game in Chicago in 2000, and I have never seen another ball player as dedicated to showmanship and entertaining spectators. He was an absolute joy to watch between innings, or during a time-out. I totally buy that he bought into the idea of there being some legit value to using one to bash a 450-footer.

I still don’t believe them. Sorry but I just don’t. And Sammy Sosa corked his bar AND used steroids. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger cheater. I umpired baseball for ten years. The game was my life. It was my living and it was my passion. Cheaters got tossed out on my watch. No exceptions, no second chances

• Options
    Even if you quit, you can always come back, you know.

I played very intensively from release (Jan 2016) to about June 2017, then I got burned out and quit for ~6 months until about December. I spent most of 2018 logging in 2-4 times a month just to check on the weekends if there was a community 10-pull available. Around 4 months ago I finally quit the Star Wars equivalent to STT, and came back to playing STT regularly.

I will say that I went from regularly getting top 1000 or 1500 in events as a mostly-F2P player (~$20 spent to get 2 shuttles and full warp) in 2016, and now I have to really go all-out to score in the top 2500. I think that the implementation of Honor was fantastic for making 5-star characters useful to non-whales, but it really raised the bar for character quality in events.
  • Options
    Hungry Dog DDMHungry Dog DDM ✭✭✭✭

This.

I also have a feeling of responsibility for my fleet. I'm not the first admiral, but I am the longest tenured one. I hope to sit in the big chair for quite some while yet. ;)

I was the first admiral of my fleet. I was, incidentally, ready to walk away from the game. So I turned it over to someone who I knew would (and they have) take good care of it. Then the campaigns were released and it drew me back in. I completely understand the responsibility feelings.
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Gandozer {SoS}Gandozer {SoS} ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    As most of you are aware, I quit in 2017 just to come back in 2018 because I missed <get this> the people! you ALL, more so than the game. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game as evident by my level 75 VIP14 new acct however, I am not even 1/10th of the VIP14 that I was the first time lol. But seriously, the game does not draw me anymore, I can take it or leave it, its the interaction within my fleet and with all of you in UC and PM that makes this game for me unable to get put down until prob I can no longer type or make cognitive sense. So in regards to this question, I am retired from $300 a week spending but still play to enjoy the people and occaisionally a little splurge maybe to keep me relevant in gameplay but that's all. It's the people! it's the people! lol I love you all too much to Quit or perm retire so like that Big Brother commercial , "You're stuck with me until I die"

• Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been playing since the beginning, and have invested enough to not willingly retire. Having said that, there have been a couple close calls over the years.

For lack of a better term, the apparent “sloppiness” with mistakes bugs me. How many times can you continue to make similar blunders? Why doesn’t quality control catch mistakes before they are made?

Macros also frost my hind end. I know that a program was implemented, but I rarely see it and can play some long hours during events. Plus, how is the average player to know if it works or not?

DB has made improvements over time. I’d like to see more...and some expeditions again.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Still here. Going on 3 years. Never spent much $, but some improvements have kept me going. (S14) Fleet participation has given a aspect that this loner. maverick had not seen originally. Cheaters always around, but they have existed since the beginning of this earth. Enjoy, that's why the game is here for us. Live long and CRUSHERIZE.
  • Options
    I made my bucket list for retirement
    1. Make it to Cpt. Lvl 90. Achieved
    2. Make top 15. Achieved
    3. Get back into Original Fleet. Achieved
    4. Personal agenda. Achieved
    5. Obtain "A" card to complete one paticular Cryo room collection. Still waiting.
    6. Upon that say Goodbye with a tear in eye.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. Make top 15. Achieved
    5. Obtain "A" card to complete one paticular Cryo room collection. Still waiting.

Bucket list. That would be a great thread @Almost a Angel may I steal your idea?

• Options
    2. Make top 15. Achieved

Bucket list. That would be a great thread @Almost a Angel may I steal your idea?

Sure why not.. sorry for getting back so late. I don't view this like I have done in the past. :-)
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. Make top 15. Achieved

You cracked me up with "Personal agenda. Achieved."
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    When I think about games like this, "sunk cost fallacy" comes to mind. I've put enough money into the game that it would feel painful to walk away. Also all the fleet/starbase work that took so very long. But I still enjoy the routine grind of checking in, doing my little tasks, the pew-pew of the ship battles, and the satisfaction of finishing crew members. Campaigns have helped to keep me interested; events less so.

I've played enough online games to realize that they don't last forever, but I'm glad that Timelines seems to be successful and sticking around for a long time.