Home The Bridge
Options

Over-rated Gauntlet crew

Who is the one Gauntlet crew that everyone loves, but under performs for you?

I will start with Defensive Phlox...dude loses about 50 percent of the time he is favored to win....I just cringe when his turn comes up...

Comments

• Options
    On paper Defensive Phlox seems like he can easily best Mirror Phlox in a fight, but Mirror Phlox has that 'puncher's chance' and often comes out on top in my matches.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, Boothby Replicant. On paper he seems amazing, but in practice he only ever seems to win when victory is guaranteed. He is also a choker, when I need him to step up and challenge Surak, he wilts in the spotlight.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    for me cowboy Trip gets by far the lowest rolls and almost always loses battles he should win.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gun Show Peccard unless he's got a high crit %.

This. I find him to be my most fickle crew. He is one of my most powerful, but fickle.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armus rarely has anything other than 5% crit and he loses over and over for me.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sulan...since i got him i have felt like he was cursed, loses about 80% for the time against opponents he shouldve beaten!
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but think Minuet must be on that list for others.
    - I see her over and over and over again and win against her over and over and over again.
    She's only good for the exact CMD/DIP combo and then I usually decide to pass on facing her and choose one of the other options (including a 50 Merit roll if need be).
    Anyway, I never send her even though my exact CMD/DIP skill combo crew are not that great ... I only have 2 of the top 15 crew ... her and Marshal of France Q.

On crew I will use, but don't really miss them if I don't:
    - Armus: decent, border case ... I've not used it twice now and there are moments when I think "where's my Armus" ... but the other crew I send are just better overall.
    - Surak: decent, but don't always use him.
    - Mirror Picard: decent, but don't always use him.

Crew that I expected to do well, but usually didn't, so never use them anymore:
    - Age of Sail Crusher: MED gauntlets only, her proficiency range is just too big so prefer sending someone like Armus instead.
    - Seven of Nine: when she has bonus, same as Crusher above, so too unreliable.
    - Borg La Forge: when he has bonus, but then I usually see him all over the place so I never end up using him much for those 50/50 battles.
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with, cowboy trip and surak..
    Disagree with minut at least when she has crit she can be handy, otherwise I usually choose guinan
    Disagree about armus, I think even thou he only has one really good crit group which is like 45%, he has really high base for me, which can often trump crits.

if we are going old school.
    Id say tempted data, he use to be one of the best eng guantlet, but Ive never had much luck with him, or with Augment riker.

Id say Ambassador troi use to be decent, but there are much better out there then her now.

Also overrated is Goddess of empathy troi, unless she has her 45% crit, and even then after one use her stats drop crazy low quick.
  • Options
    Nurse Faith Garland.

I dunno how many times she's beaten me when I've played a card with a better chance. She always underperforms for me though.
  • Options
    ApaggApagg ✭✭✭
    Defensive Phlox - agreed - proficiency range is so wide, his expected value is a lot lower than the ~1000 top leads you to believe
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely North Star Tucker.

Also Chancellor Gowron. Guy can't seem to win.
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antaak. Mine is completely useless, no matter the crit chance. The opponent's goes HAM, though.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gladiator McCoy and Musketeer La Forge.

They aren't top tier by any means but I use these two whenever they get a decent crit bonus. It typically doesn't help them (even at 45%)
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Survivalist Kirk has been pretty duff since I got him. Guinan is losing her edge as well for me.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Defensive phlox, north star tucker, armus, surak, faith garland. Most named above.
    When my same crew (with higher SB and collection bonus %) going against the same Crew opponent i loose prolly 75% of the time. Going against a different crew where i have the advantage in skill crit bonus i still loose. Right now my goddess troi at 45% just lost to defensive phlox at 5%. A few month back they supposedly fixed these malfunctions.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a cop-out, but it isn't intended to be: just about every Gauntlet crew is overrated, mainly because more and more players are getting the same heavy hitters, which renders any advantage they gave previously effectively to zero, and much more susceptible to random chance. The only one that still seems to consistenly pull his weight for me is Locutus, and Armus when he has a 65% crit.

This. I was in a gauntlet last week where I think I only saw about 8-9 different crew. It was constantly walls of the same couple crew.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe so many of you hate Surak. He's the only person I seem to ALWAYS lose to.
  • Options
    Bartender Guinan. I haven't used her in a long time. She is unbeatable for DIP+MED but is too weak for DIP+SEC and SEC+MED. Not worth it.

I generally avoid Mirror Picard because everyone uses him and he's effectively a two-skill crew, so I often try to counter him with Kahless/Damar/Riker/etc depending on traits.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe so many of you hate Surak. He's the only person I seem to ALWAYS lose to.

I think some of the negativity is due to recency bias and remembering losses more than wins. Starbase bonuses throw things off kilter a bit but mirror matches and crew that otherwise have comparable stats are going to be a coin flip more than anything else. Locutus and the Caretaker stand out a bit because they are so very much better than the next best crew with their skills...everyone else that is useful in the gauntlet ends up being bunched together.

As more proficiency-heavy crew are released and yet more people have a fighting chance of success, something is going to have to change to keep the Gauntlet from getting stale. Whomever it was that came up with “negative traits” had a good idea, as trait bonuses (and possibly penalties) help spread things out - having the possibility of critical failures as well as critical successes, modified through trait-based penalties, would help even more.
  • Options
    I think this shows how RANDOM Gauntlet is :smile:
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thoroughly disappointed by Gangster Spock, Gary 7 and Away Team Burnham. I keep trying to use them but they always fail to appear in my roster.

Besides those 3, Convergence Day Quark is someone I always use on his special day and he usually face plants because I am bad at math.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    This is why I use Gauntlet for merit farming. Sure, I'll push rank if I got a crew that gets crit bonuses by otherwise it gets way too frustrating way too fast.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I am thoroughly disappointed by Gangster Spock, Gary 7 and Away Team Burnham. I keep trying to use them but they always fail to appear in my roster.

Besides those 3, Convergence Day Quark is someone I always use on his special day and he usually face plants because I am bad at math.

Good call. I've never feared challenging Gary 7, I'm not sure he has ever held up against my attacks. For those of you who run Gary 7, he is giving away all of your trophies!
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a defensive choice, not offensive. It's difficult to actively use him for attack in Gauntlet, but he'll be picked from your roster automatically to defend your team when he's the best choice - so you'll lose when attacking my Surak a lot more than I'll win when attacking with my Surak! (Moreso than with other crew, I think.)

I like him, but because he doesn't have a killer skill (a skiller?), he can often sit unfatigued on my bench while the rest have been fighting multiple times. Locutus and Kahless are better for offense, and so their usefulness is more apparent (and fun!).
  • Options
    I get frustrated with a lot of the big guns because they never seem to Crit for me but do it all the time for the opponents. However, if I had to pick one it would probably be Kahless. Huge potential and numbers but I’m always getting the crap beaten out of me by lesser scores, like Gun Show Picard.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    The problem with getting the heavy hitters is that doesn't guarantee victory but raises your average ranking over time. Streaks probably won't happen unless your crew gets some good crit bonuses and/or luck and/or refreshing a bit, however getting Kahless and few others generally put me in the top 25 more or so unless I'm having a really off day. Before I struggled to stay in the 50s.