Home The Bridge

Get this! Items over the limit of 1000 expire after 7 days.

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in The Bridge
I earned my citations after finishing the Section 31 campaign last week, with the intention of using the 4* Super-Rare citation on T'Pol this week. The other night I realize that none of the "upgrade" banners are yellow anymore on my super-rares, and sure enough the citation was completely gone from my inventory.

I e-mailed support and he had me screenshot a picture of my inventory, which at the time was 1045/1000 items. He explained the following:

Player inventory is currently capped at 1,000 unique items, in order to prevent potential performance issues. You are not prevented from obtaining more than 1000 unique items, however any items that are obtained in excess of that limit will expire in seven days unless room becomes available. We do know that this is not clearly communicated in game yet, as a very small portion of the player base is just now beginning to encounter this issue, and we are working to implement messaging about this in-game.

While I realize I should be posting this in engineering, I wanted as many people to see it as possible.

ADDITION: To think, all of that useless gear I've been getting for random characters I've had frozen for ages is ACTUALLY COSTING ME in useful items! I lost a couple of voyage revival tokens a while back, couldn't be sure I hadn't used them in my sleep, but now I realize they simply disappeared to make room.

Friends, quickly, go check your inventory page. If you're over 1000, start tossing unique equipment into the replicator.

Comments

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, so I figured if I hadn't seen it, others might not have either.

In any case, this didn't become a noticeable issue for me until I had a citation sitting in inventory. Perhaps others are running into this same issue NOW, and hadn't noticed before. Either way, more eyes on it can't hurt. @Shan, feel free to move it to that original post if need be. Thank you.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread from The Bridge from less than three weeks ago on the exact same issue has some good tips on how to clear out your inventory: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/13719/any-update-on-inventory-max-issue/p1

This older thread may also temper expectations about what to expect from customer service if you lose items: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/11202/psa-dont-cash-in-honor-on-citations-to-hold-the-inventory-cap-may-eat-them/p1
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread. I never would have thought to even check my inventory. I have only been playing for a few months and I am already at 717 different inv items. I can imagine that will get to be a problem sooner rather than later...
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's been a known problem for some time, but it is always worth reminding the reader-base about it every now and then, since it's such an insidious problem. Especially with new sources of potentially useless items (looking at you, campaign equipment crates), players need to be mindful of their inventory count.

Now, as to the issue of notifying ALL players... would it be that hard to add some text to the inventory screen? Or an info pop-up? Or maybe an alert notification that you've exceeded the limit? Perhaps a red box around the inventory button?

Whatever, but something to help out the folks that don't know about this issue yet.

(I honestly assume there will never be an un-capping of the limit, so I'm just setting my sights on warnings & notifications.)

PS - sorry about the lost citation.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer, so I figured if I hadn't seen it, others might not have either.

I can guarantee you you're not the only one. I've run across plenty of long term, two to three year, players who still have no idea it's a thing and only figure it out when they notice they've lost something.

We do know that this is not clearly communicated in game yet, as a very small portion of the player base is just now beginning to encounter this issue

Which is a crock, because if a small portions were just now encountering it they wouldn't have had to make it work this way as a "fix" almost 2 years ago because of problems of the way it originally worked. It's certainly starting to crop up for more players as time rolls on and more inventories get bigger and bigger. People have asked for thing like a simple notification pop-up warning if you reach the threshold going back to the implementation of the "fix" and they've been "working on it".
  • Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @[7TW] UnkieB . You beat me to the punch on my own 2 cents.
    a "very small portion of the player base" seems to have being making rather a loud noise about it. There's been dozens of threads on the subject, I even started one myself a while back.
  • I received the same blanket apology from CS for the same exact problem.

My issue is that they are electing to withdraw from most recently obtained versus oldest obtained.
  • MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I myself noticed my risian headset game easter egg reward missing, and thats how i found out. I immediately informed my fleet to remove crew specific clothing patterns, ship schems for lvl 10 ships and alot of dabo junk. Many ppl have stopped spinning dabo bcuz alot of crew specific items come from there. As i researched, this has been an ongoing issue that many are not aware of, and has been ignored by DB upon several requests given the nature of the evolving portions of the game. There are alot more unwanted or not needed crew specific items being dropped.
    The process of going through an inventory, identifying items, then going back to use for replicator is horrible and takes a long time. But so far this is the only way to remove items and control your inventory. If u do not do this, they purge whatever they want. Which always seems to be your most valuable stuff. Citations, revival tokens, 5* supplies....
    We have been asking for either a higher inventory cap, remove the cap, or at the very least a recycle bin to place unwanted items from main inventory screen in one location that would be easily accessible during replications. And some sort of warning pop up so people can know this issue exists. I had lost many things and just figured i was wrong on what i had or used it. Until my headset was gone.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the same blanket apology from CS for the same exact problem.

My issue is that they are electing to withdraw from most recently obtained versus oldest obtained.

Oldest obtained would very likely be one of the primary farming components you need for levelling crew or galaxy events. I'm sure people would not be happy to lose a bunch of equipment they've stockpiled hundreds or thousands of and suddenly have zero when going to level a new crew.

Newest obtained are most likely to be useless dabo drops, event crew components you didn't use, etc. If the timing's bad it could be citations, but the more likely items are not as high risk imo. It's not like you get a citation every week, and the items start dropping off after 7 days of over 1000 components.
  • Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭
    I find it easy to keep in check by burning the hundreds of one star shuttle boosts in the replicator. They're pretty useless
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I find it easy to keep in check by burning the hundreds of one star shuttle boosts in the replicator. They're pretty useless

I burn those in Galaxy events, but good idea. 🖖🏻

EDIT: P.S.: I still want your avatar, @Secret Journey , and I am still waiting for that pony. 🦄
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the system deletes the most recently acquired items and that’s why citations seem to go first
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I wonder if the system deletes the most recently acquired items and that’s why citations seem to go first
    Yes, that is how it works as far as I understood from this and similar threads.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • I received the same blanket apology from CS for the same exact problem.

Oldest obtained would very likely be one of the primary farming components you need for levelling crew or galaxy events. I'm sure people would not be happy to lose a bunch of equipment they've stockpiled hundreds or thousands of and suddenly have zero when going to level a new crew.

Newest obtained are most likely to be useless dabo drops, event crew components you didn't use, etc. If the timing's bad it could be citations, but the more likely items are not as high risk imo. It's not like you get a citation every week, and the items start dropping off after 7 days of over 1000 components.

Oldest obtained wouldn't necessarily include the components, I could have obtained some during the recent galaxy event to add to the 5000 I have.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the same blanket apology from CS for the same exact problem.

Oldest obtained wouldn't necessarily include the components, I could have obtained some during the recent galaxy event to add to the 5000 I have.

I guess that depends on if we're talking about "last updated date" versus "first created date" of the unique equipment stack. Since I've never seen someone complain they lost 300 databases or casings or polyalloys etc when they went over 1000 inventory limit, I suspect we're talking about "first created date" here.
  • Is nobody else frustrated by the fact that the only way to avoid this is to spend credits? Using the replicator costs resources. If this is a known problem, why is there no way to just dump stuff into space? Or even convert it to merits, credits, honor or whatever like we can with unneeded crew?
    Ugh, so I've been trying to use up EQUIPMENT through replicating. This is TEDIOUS.

I go into equipment, read the item descriptions, pick a bunch that are worthy of removing, and then I go back into the replicator screen. And then I see like 3 of the icon. Because UGH.

I have to stick to things that look unique, I can't do this. What a mess. Without an item description in the replicator screen, I literally can't tell these things apart.
  • Secret JourneySecret Journey ✭✭✭✭

I burn those in Galaxy events, but good idea. 🖖🏻

EDIT: P.S.: I still want your avatar, @Secret Journey , and I am still waiting for that pony. 🦄

I suppose we can share it as A&M records are no more!
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
    Ugh, so I've been trying to use up EQUIPMENT through replicating. This is TEDIOUS.

I go into equipment, read the item descriptions, pick a bunch that are worthy of removing, and then I go back into the replicator screen. And then I see like 3 of the icon. Because UGH.

I have to stick to things that look unique, I can't do this. What a mess. Without an item description in the replicator screen, I literally can't tell these things apart.

Start off with items you have one and two of. If you’ve been playing this long and haven’t used it, you never will. If it is useful, you won’t really miss one or two of them. I do this with 0, 1, and two star items and I never reach 900 in my inventory. When I get close I just do it again. You only have to do it every few months.

Start off with items you have one and two of. If you’ve been playing this long and haven’t used it, you never will. If it is useful, you won’t really miss one or two of them. I do this with 0, 1, and two star items and I never reach 900 in my inventory. When I get close I just do it again. You only have to do it every few months.

Hey Banjo!
    So I started off with the obvious stuff, for sure. Things with a picture you could identify. Then I went for things I wouldn't miss even if they DID turn out to be generic. I've gotten rid of over 100 listings in my inventory.

Now I'm at the point where I've got equipment in the 3* and even 4* class that look generic, in that their photo matches the generic one. Except, for example, one is a generic Borg armature and one is Troi's, or Hugh's, or even Geordi's. So suddenly you've got an "ignore them or just get rid of all 3" situation.

Which, to be honest, I'm sort of at that point. There's nothing I can't rebuild, right?

Hey Banjo!
    So I started off with the obvious stuff, for sure. Things with a picture you could identify. Then I went for things I wouldn't miss even if they DID turn out to be generic. I've gotten rid of over 100 listings in my inventory.

Now I'm at the point where I've got equipment in the 3* and even 4* class that look generic, in that their photo matches the generic one. Except, for example, one is a generic Borg armature and one is Troi's, or Hugh's, or even Geordi's. So suddenly you've got an "ignore them or just get rid of all 3" situation.

Which, to be honest, I'm sort of at that point. There's nothing I can't rebuild, right?

Yeah those are tough ones. Like clothes. It could be a Starfleet thing many can use or Admral Picards. I can say if you have any 5 star clothes it can go. You get those in event rewards. You either built or replicated it before you won it or you didn’t keep the crew it goes to. Any ship schematic that’s not a 5 star can go too. Any boosts under three star are useless. Hope this helps

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭

Penguinjim linked 2 threads earlier here, the first one gave a better method than you're using to use the replicator alone (don't have to go into inventory equipment screen). I opened the link for you, here's the instructions again:

There is actually a way to see the names of all items in your inventory before you delete them.

- add all the items you think are unnecessary into the replicator up to 100%
    - if necessary, use rations or schems to get you to the 100% mark
    - click on the replicate button but DO NOT PRESS CONFIRM!
    - at this point, in the dialogue box, you can click on the items that you have put into the replicator to see the actual name of each item
    - if it's something that you wish to keep just click "Cancel", remove the item, and put somthing else in instead

Since the names will only be displayed if the replicator is at 100% and we're talking about hundreds of items to go through, to facilitate the process I do this by steps:

- first I add the 5, 4 and 3* items + rations (if necessary) and check their names
    - because I have more of the lower star items, I then seperately check the 2* ones, then the 1* and finally the 0*
    - depending on the amount of items you want to get rid of, this process might take two seperate replications

It's still a painfully annoying and time consuming process but it does allow for a thorough and safe deletion of unnecessary items in your inventory.

OMG this is amazing. Thank you SO much - not sure how I missed that in the previous threads. Used it this morning. To your point - still damned annoying, but much, much safer a process.
    As posted in the thread in engineering, how bout a Cargo Bay? Anything over 1000 goes in there. If your citation ends up in there you can get it out using merits. If nothing useful does, no harm no foul
  • Also, if you've more than one of an item, if you click on the image above the slider it'll tell you what it is.
  • MirrorVerse JcMirrorVerse Jc ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, that is how it works as far as I understood from this and similar threads.

Not what i understand. I have had my risa headset over a year. It was always at the bottom of un-sorted inventory. My revival tokens are 42 items, 6 lines of items above, and shuttle supplies are 23 lines up from the bottom. I have lost all 3. Different areas of unsorted inventory, and interesting... my 2-3* supplies nvr disappeared. It was always 4-5* supplies, revival tokens. And my headset.
    As posted in the thread in engineering, how bout a Cargo Bay? Anything over 1000 goes in there. If your citation ends up in there you can get it out using merits. If nothing useful does, no harm no foul

Banjo, my man, this is a solution in search of a problem. Go into the code, change 1000 to 2500, problem solved.