Home The Bridge
Options

Get this! Items over the limit of 1000 expire after 7 days.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    As posted in the thread in engineering, how bout a Cargo Bay? Anything over 1000 goes in there. If your citation ends up in there you can get it out using merits. If nothing useful does, no harm no foul

Banjo, my man, this is a solution in search of a problem. Go into the code, change 1000 to 2500, problem solved.

Until the spit and baling wire database explodes. ;)
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As posted in the thread in engineering, how bout a Cargo Bay? Anything over 1000 goes in there. If your citation ends up in there you can get it out using merits. If nothing useful does, no harm no foul

Banjo, my man, this is a solution in search of a problem. Go into the code, change 1000 to 2500, problem solved.

If I’m not mistaken Shan said they can’t do a fix like that hence the need for alternate solutions. It’s neither here nor there to me. I’ve never had a cap problem

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m not mistaken Shan said they can’t do a fix like that hence the need for alternate solutions. It’s neither here nor there to me. I’ve never had a cap problem

When they first released this game in 2016, the average device speed was slower. They were worried about the item buffer, I suppose. I would venture to guess that after 3+ years, most phones and especially a PC running Steam can tolerate a buffer thats at least 50% larger.
  • Options
    Well it's not really though. The better solution is to add verbiage about the cap in game (aka a warning) or to let you better replicate through inventory or to let you "omnigel" stuff as you get it. I don't want to pay 250 merits to recover citations because of a crappy game design. Better to address the actual issue - which has plagued us for over 3 years now.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    Three things.

1) An info tip in the inventory area that explains the cap and warns what happens when going over.

2) An easy method to remove items (delete them, sell them, whatever. there needs to be something besides the replicator)

3) A pop-up warning when you reach the limit (this should pop-up every time you load the game until you're back under the cap)

dewv1x7t60q0.png
  • Options
    Or trade with Quark. I expect to get ripped off daily, but it would help as long as they dont create a new currency.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're all overthinking this, which is admirable. I appreciate you all. But trying to solve this problem by adding features only makes the game even more slow. Just edit code, adjust.

before: itemlimit=1000
    after: itemlimit=1500

done.
  • Options
    You're all overthinking this, which is admirable. I appreciate you all. But trying to solve this problem by adding features only makes the game even more slow. Just edit code, adjust.

done.

Well, they raised it once early on and may raise it again if they think things will still perform okay, but it doesn't really solve things. It just put's things off a bit before we start having threads with people reaching the new limit, whatever that may be.
  • Options

done.

Shouldn't even be a code change, just a config setting on the servers. Hell, shouldn't be a hard limit anyway.

However it's been mentioned before that it's a "can't" rather "won't", which, along with the odd slip about the quality of the code, indicates the problem is a lot of badly written code.

My - completely unfounded - suspicion is how the server database is setup. If architected badly, then each 1000 items per user takes up a maximum 20k of space. Which is 1GB per 50000 users if my math is correct. Not a great deal in the scheme of things, but then you've all the other stuff in there as well. So increasing that amount may come with cost with cost implications if you need to scale up your database.

And, if you've made the novice mistake of running MS SQL on AWS, you're quickly going to discover AWS' pricing structure for that will make your bank account scream.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

done.

I largely agree, but I do also think that labeling single items in the replicator would make it a lot easier to pick out which of those things to use as fuel. As it is, it's just too much of a hassle to add all the things that look like Clothing Patterns just to find out which one is a Diplomatic Dress I can use for anyone and which one is something specific to someone I've already immortalized. Just 86'ing those things would make it a lot easier to prune the inventory.