Home The Bridge

Voyage Question

After getting another bad voyage combo, I was wondering if anyone has actually tested whether or not the gold and silver skills occur with much greater frequency than the others. Maybe it would work just as well to max out your best skills irregardless of the skill combo offered? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Dingbat1Dingbat1 ✭✭✭
    every two minutes your voyage faces a dilemma, which is a skill check. Testing has shown that the gold skill gets checked 35% of the time, the silver skill 25% of the time, and the other skills 10% each.
  • Thanks for the answer!
  • Sky Cap 18Sky Cap 18 ✭✭✭
    Dingbat1 wrote: »
    every two minutes your voyage faces a dilemma, which is a skill check. Testing has shown that the gold skill gets checked 35% of the time, the silver skill 25% of the time, and the other skills 10% each.

Hazard, not dilemma. Just pointing out so OP isn’t confused.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    This stickied thread in the Ready Room has a wealth of information regarding Voyages:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/175/tool-voyage-estimator-help-us-gather-data/p1

🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel it’s 35, 25, 12, 10, 10, 7. I’m banking on this to get an 11 hour voyage. If I can guess the order right I may be able to do it
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    I feel it’s 35, 25, 12, 10, 10, 7. I’m banking on this to get an 11 hour voyage. If I can guess the order right I may be able to do it

I never thought of that before, I always assumed it was 35, 25, 10, 10, 10, 10. But the idea that not all 4 non-featured skills are not equal is fascinating to consider!
  • This stickied thread in the Ready Room has a wealth of information regarding Voyages:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/175/tool-voyage-estimator-help-us-gather-data/p1

🖖🏻

Many thanks, peregrine. Good stuff there. I'll have to leave the Bridge more often :)
  • This stickied thread in the Ready Room has a wealth of information regarding Voyages:

🖖🏻

Many thanks, peregrine. Good stuff there. I'll have to leave the Bridge more often :)
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like all of the game it's RNG. The odds are likely 35/25/10/10/10/10, but unless you get hundreds of hazards something will be over/under represented.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Like all of the game it's RNG. The odds are likely 35/25/10/10/10/10, but unless you get hundreds of hazards something will be over/under represented.

It (RNG) happens. We have catalogued Voyages with <22% for the main skill.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    This stickied thread in the Ready Room has a wealth of information regarding Voyages:

🖖🏻

I just set it to show most recently posted stuff so I don't have to check all the threads.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »

I never thought of that before, I always assumed it was 35, 25, 10, 10, 10, 10. But the idea that not all 4 non-featured skills are not equal is fascinating to consider!
    Even if it was - how would you know which one was the 12% (13) one and which the 7% (8)? It would be poker anyway. I rather stick to assuming it is 10 all over the floor.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    ByloBand wrote: »

Even if it was - how would you know which one was the 12% (13) one and which the 7% (8)? It would be poker anyway. I rather stick to assuming it is 10 all over the floor.

You’re right, it is a gamble but if you look at the hazard breakdown after your voyage comes back, you’ll see there’s one skill that occurs a little more frequently and one that occurs a little less frequently. I only need to win that gamble once to achieve my goal
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're interested in maximizing your average return over multiple voyages, then it's not worth the gamble. But if you're goal is something like break 10/11 hours for the first time without a refill, then the gamble is worth it. You may only be right 1/4 times, but if you just want to hit your best score, then being right once is all it takes.

That being said, I don't really know how fine grained you're getting with your selection that there is a difference between expecting a stat to be 12% vs 10%. I may be happy to let my third skill approach the points of my second skill to hope for the best, but I'm not thinking about what it means for the skill to come up 10% vs 12% vs 20%.
    If you're interested in maximizing your average return over multiple voyages, then it's not worth the gamble. But if you're goal is something like break 10/11 hours for the first time without a refill, then the gamble is worth it. You may only be right 1/4 times, but if you just want to hit your best score, then being right once is all it takes.

That being said, I don't really know how fine grained you're getting with your selection that there is a difference between expecting a stat to be 12% vs 10%. I may be happy to let my third skill approach the points of my second skill to hope for the best, but I'm not thinking about what it means for the skill to come up 10% vs 12% vs 20%.

I’m less than 12 minutes away. 12% versus 10% or 7% could make the difference
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple "safe" way to figure the following formula:

Remaining Anti-Matter divided by 22 equals minimum minutes you can go.

For twelve minutes, you would reverse it.

Twelve minutes times twenty-two equals 264 minimum Anti-matter to be safe.

{The normal divisor is 21, but many of us use 22 just for "padding" to make sure.}
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

{The normal divisor is 21, but many of us use 22 just for "padding" to make sure.}

You didn’t finish. At 10:48 will that extra percentage provide those 12 needed minutes?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. My point was more, how do you decide the amount to give that stat assuming 12 vs 10 vs 7?

Agreed. My point was more, how do you decide the amount to give that stat assuming 12 vs 10 vs 7?

What I usually do is stack a tertiary according to what skill would go with the gold and silver. For instance, if I have DIP/SEC, I’ll go with COM as the tertiary only because I feel I can weigh COM heavier with those two skills than I could with SCI, ENG, or MED. again it’s a gamble, but that gives me the best chance regardless

You didn’t finish. At 10:48 will that extra percentage provide those 12 needed minutes?

If you have 264+ Anti-Matter, it should do 12 minutes minimum. Is not affected by the percentages. People long before me did the maths, taking into account failing every Hazard. Not failing some would just extend the time. But, failing every Hazard, that is what has been found to be the minimum Anti-matter for twelve minutes, using the "safe" number.

Doesn't matter if it is 3:48, 5:48, 7:48, 9:48, 11:48 or whatever. {10:48 would be way more than 12 minutes to the next Dilemma, BTW.} If you have enough Anti-matter to fail every Hazard, you still make the even hour point. I have used the /22 formula to make a Dilemma with under 100 Anti-matter left. Was still tense, but I trusted the formula.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

If you have 264+ Anti-Matter, it should do 12 minutes minimum. Is not affected by the percentages. People long before me did the maths, taking into account failing every Hazard. Not failing some would just extend the time. But, failing every Hazard, that is what has been found to be the minimum Anti-matter for twelve minutes, using the "safe" number.

Doesn't matter if it is 3:48, 5:48, 7:48, 9:48, 11:48 or whatever. {10:48 would be way more than 12 minutes to the next Dilemma, BTW.} If you have enough Anti-matter to fail every Hazard, you still make the even hour point. I have used the /22 formula to make a Dilemma with under 100 Anti-matter left. Was still tense, but I trusted the formula.

But you have to take into account the ENTIRE voyage. If I stack the tertiary at say 8,000 compared to it being say 5,000 that’s 3,000 skill points in the middle of the voyage I will pass instead of fail which will add to my total time

But you have to take into account the ENTIRE voyage. If I stack the tertiary at say 8,000 compared to it being say 5,000 that’s 3,000 skill points in the middle of the voyage I will pass instead of fail which will add to my total time

Okay. You are overthinking the formula. The formula is about "Can I get where I need to from where I am?" At the beginning of a Voyage, dividing the Anti-matter you have does nothing to figure out how far you can go. Because of what you said. My current Voyage started with 2,650 Anti-Matter. Three hours in, I am at 2,780. It will of course go up. The whole purpose of the formula is to see if you can reach a Dilemma {or whatever goalpost you are aiming for} even if you fail every Hazard. There are Voyage calculators on the internet that can look at the starting Anti-Matter, and your Skill Stats for the Crew to figure out how long the Voyage should go. I am not totally sure which percentages they use, however. So, they could go wrong over a long Voyage, if the percentage is wrong. The formula {used to calculate from where you are, to where you need to go} does not have that problem. Because it gives you the minimum minutes you can cover, even if every Hazard fails.

See above. The formula has nothing to do with fail/pass across the whole Voyage. You originally asked about a specific situation, almost eleven hours into a voyage, and making another 12 minutes. I used to formula to show the minimum Anti-Matter that specific situation would require, with all Fails.

See above. The formula has nothing to do with fail/pass across the whole Voyage. You originally asked about a specific situation, almost eleven hours into a voyage, and making another 12 minutes. I used to formula to show the minimum Anti-Matter that specific situation would require, with all Fails.

This makes my brain hurt. I’m going to just keep experimenting

The formula was used to answer your original question. The only thing it does is help you figure out whether you can reach the next Dilemma or whatever, even if you fail every Hazard.

The formula was used to answer your original question. The only thing it does is help you figure out whether you can reach the next Dilemma or whatever, even if you fail every Hazard.

The variances are so out there though. I can do the exact same staff back to back and have an hour difference in length. Luck will have to be on my side for just that one time
    I actually am usually superconservative when I do use the formula. If I have 2745 Anti-matter left, I will divide 2700 by 22.

{The minimum "safe" Anti-Matter right after a Dilemma is 2640, using 120 minutes times 22.}

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are talking past each other. The question is about planning a voyage at the start and improving a current best of of 10:48 to hit 11 hours. The answer being given is the general AM burn formula to indicate how long a voyage will last once all skills start to fail.

The answer is correct, but is answering a completely unrelated question to the topic at hand.

Back to the original question. Yes improving a 3rd skill will help extend the overall voyage length. That will be true for all voyages. If that third good skill occurs 15% of the time instead of 10% or 7% you will be lucky and do better.

But unless you are running a monte carlo simulation to optimize your voyage, the difference between 12% or 20% is irrelevant. Give some more stats to your third skill and send your voyage. You're not deciding what that total amount should be before looking to improve skill 4-6.
    You guys are talking past each other. The question is about planning a voyage at the start and improving a current best of of 10:48 to hit 11 hours. The answer being given is the general AM burn formula to indicate how long a voyage will last once all skills start to fail.

The answer is correct, but is answering a completely unrelated question to the topic at hand.

Back to the original question. Yes improving a 3rd skill will help extend the overall voyage length. That will be true for all voyages. If that third good skill occurs 15% of the time instead of 10% or 7% you will be lucky and do better.

But unless you are running a monte carlo simulation to optimize your voyage, the difference between 12% or 20% is irrelevant. Give some more stats to your third skill and send your voyage. You're not deciding what that total amount should be before looking to improve skill 4-6.

I did misunderstand. I thought banjo was asking "Can I make another 12 minutes from 10:48?" having REACHED 10:48 in a current Voyage. Sorry, Brother Banjo!!!!!