Home The Bridge
Options

Where is Kai Winn?

Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have Vedek Winn, and crazy Finale Winn, but where in the multiverse is golden robed, love to hate her Kai Winn? Since I got my Fury Kes it’s time to push for the Kai, she was utterly vital to DS9 and made a perfect Sisko foil.

t5abho31n57j.jpeg

Comments

• Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, Fletcher was masterful in her portrayal. I imagine it’s challenging to play such a role and be as nasty and conniving as she was sometimes, and after all that, Fletcher still made me feel sympathy for Winn when she confesses all she ever wanted was to be spoken to by the Prophets and that’s why she is so vile to Sisko. I’ve always felt she was a keystone of DS9 alongside Dukat, Garak and Quark. The bridge crew didn’t steal the show as much as the supporting crew in that series, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torias327 wrote: »
    . . . she was a keystone of DS9 alongside Dukat, Garak and Quark. The bridge crew didn’t steal the show as much as the supporting crew in that series, in my opinion.

Agree 100%
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah she was great in DS9. I said a few weeks ago it’s overdue for another card of her. She pretty much played Nurse Ratchett into her DS9 role
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would support a new 5* Kai Winn, maybe with stats like these:

COM - 1250+(250-450)
    DIP - 900+(50-700)
    MED - 500+(150-400)

Traits: Bajoran, Kai, Cultural Figure, Spiritual

Ship ability “Walk With The Prophets” - +9 Evasion, 4s initialize, 8s duration, 12s cooldown, bonus 35% attack speed (trigger on Position), passive bonuses of +100 accuracy, +275 crit rating, +50 crit bonus, +800 evasion.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would support a new 5* Kai Winn, maybe with stats like these:

COM - 1250+(250-450)
    DIP - 900+(50-700)
    MED - 500+(150-400)

Traits: Bajoran, Kai, Cultural Figure, Spiritual

Ship ability “Walk With The Prophets” - +9 Evasion, 4s initialize, 8s duration, 12s cooldown, bonus 35% attack speed (trigger on Position), passive bonuses of +100 accuracy, +275 crit rating, +50 crit bonus, +800 evasion.

IMO, she is arguably the most diplomatic character in Star Trek history. I think you are on the right track here, but the DIP score absolutely needs to be the big one, not COM.

Now that I think about it, I'd almost think she should be high DIP, med-high MED, low COM. She was never the type to bark orders, she FORCED people to do her bidding through shrewd manipulations and force of will, all while keeping the people of Bajor spiritually "healthy" by making sure they were not forgotten.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    ByloBand wrote: »
    IMO, she is arguably the most diplomatic character in Star Trek history. I think you are on the right track here, but the DIP score absolutely needs to be the big one, not COM.

I'd question that - she's involved in diplomacy as a career, but I feel like her success came from authority, not persuasiveness, which in terms of our six stats lines up much more with Command. I'll give you her election as Kai coming from diplomacy (in the sense of being a shrewd operator, rather than being persuasive) but 'Life Support' shows her reliant on Bareil for doing the actual leg work in the diplomatic area of the job, in 'Shakaar' she mishandles the situation so badly that Shakaar goes from a political nobody to the guy who stops her becoming First Minister herself, and any time she calls Kira "child" it's solely the fact that she's Kai and Kira's devout that keeps her from winding up in five separate unmarked graves with no witnesses. I feel like pretty much all of everything she accomplishes once she's got the gold hat comes from her wielding the authority of her position like a club, not convincing anyone it's in their best interests to agree with her.

Give her Diplomat as a trait, though, and a fairish stat score, but I'd definitely make Command the high stat. (Is 'ruthless' a trait? I mean as a defining characteristic it's pretty front and centre. Unless we can introduce a 'condescending' trait. Damn I wanted to punch her in the face. Louise Fletcher really brought her A game in every scene.)

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. She flexes the power of her office to get things done rather than talking to people and winning them over to her side (thinking about that artifact Sisko beamed up and then broke open, where Winn was threatening to end Bajor’s diplomatic relations with the Federation if he didn’t send it back to the surface). She has her moments of diplomacy - hence the high max proficiency - but is defined by her prickly, paternalist demeanor and inability to truly get along with anyone except Anjohl Tennan...which is not a good look and why the minimum DIP proficiency was so incredibly low.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what you guys are saying. I just wanted to express my own ideas, but I cannot argue against you :)
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to see a First Minister Shakaar. Maybe just more Bajorans in general.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Kai Winn did a LOT of damage in her reign, and she did it all (except for the one example you gave from the episode 'Shakaar' (which BTW could be ANOTHER awesome potential Winn card!) without ever having any actual authority to enforce any of her threats, she did it ALL by manipulating EVERYONE for her own goals. She made backroom deals, built coalitions, and used all of her influence to get people do do what she wanted.

Valid points. It's difficult to really nail down for me, since so much of her Kaiship happened off-screen, in terms of the day to day exercising of the powers of the role - but Winn was just so consistently awful to everyone who didn't bow to her whenever we saw her that it seems like she was generally getting her way because of the gold hat at that point far more than by swaying people to her side. Vedek Winn is definitely Dip first, but my instinct would be to flip it for Kai Winn, I really see "Because your Kai says so" being her go-to reason for anything she wants done, and it works because Bajorans are pretty devout for the most part and really will do things (to a point) because their Kai says so.

I mean it's not that there's no Dip in her at that point, I just feel like it's become her second stat once she's actually got the gold hat of Command to use.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    It's difficult to really nail down for me, since so much of her Kaiship happened off-screen, in terms of the day to day exercising of the powers of the role

You have PERFECTLY encapsulated the EXACT problem very succinctly; I think I am taking into account stuff we never saw but must have happened, and you are using what we actually saw on screen, which is how I think we are both on the right path, despite not being in lock step. And you know what, I'm OK with that. It would perhaps be better to just base it on what we see on screen, it would certainly be easier to justify.
  • Options
    Being a main villainous character, she will prolly be reserved for a Mega at some point in the future. Err, i mean, expect her to show up in the game Soon™.
    [DCC] bebe
    Privileged to be Admiral of the Great Fleet
    Dilithium Causes Cancer, maxed Starbase level 134
    Featuring photonic flee free holodecks and
    All you can drink Neelix's Even Better Than Coffee Substitute!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness! I’m so glad I started this thread, this conversation has been phenomenal. I find myself agreeing with everyone, which I think means we need more than 1 new Winn Adami.

You are definitely winning at forum today.

Sonofa...well played!
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I considered her as a Mega Character, but I think there are better choices like Kosst Amojin Dukat. We could use him to control the population of all those extra 1701 Daxs.

Edit: @Kaitee seems we were thinking very similar things at the same moment. Must be our Paghs in alignment.
  • Options
    BakerbeanzBakerbeanz ✭✭✭
    I hated her, so I guess that means she did a good job lol. She was definitely ambitious and got it in the end.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    2* Taking too many breaks in the Fire Caves Winn

Just saying....
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    2* Taking too many breaks in the Fire Caves Winn

Just saying....

You gotta warn people first before dropping a savage joke like that, people may be drinking a beverage!
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm with the folks saying Kai Winn should be very high diplomacy. She was a master schemer, manipulator, etc. She should also have the Crafty and Communicator traits.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So maybe Kai Winn is a candidate for the next Gauntlet Exclusive, so she can continue on rolling all those other characters and get some great beater proficiency ratings in Com and Dip? I’d be open to that, I think the case has been easily made by everyone that she can stand up for herself and keep on surviving. I would not like to see her as honor hall, though. I think Amanda Rogers is firmly a better next candidate for that, or maybe someone with a cheesecake. Also, Winn had no honor, not even a shred, even in the end.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    So maybe Kai Winn is a candidate for the next Gauntlet Exclusive, so she can continue on rolling all those other characters and get some great beater proficiency ratings in Com and Dip?

You are a genius, I endorse this 1,000,000%!

To make her a Gauntlet exclusive I propose the following:

Medium Com base with an above average proficiency range, medium Dip base with an above average proficiency range, and a low Med base with a wild proficiency range (think Defensive Phlox with a really low min but crazy high max).
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I struggle with med on Winn in any capacity, the only people she was ever kind or compassionate to were Unnamed Bajoran Worshipper #3 and #8, and Dukat that one time he catfished her to get into the Fire Caves.

What about a gauntlet legend with only 2 skills, both exorbitant, but not necessarily as meta altering as Caretaker and Armus became. Minuet, but better, or at least more consistent? Or replace Med with Security and have it be a wildly spread range, since she wielded her skills as a weapon 90% of the time, and quite aggressively but not as often effectively. I think we have enough crazy roll medical peeps though.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been a tremendous thread, well done everybody...

....and according to memory alpha Winn did all of this in JUST 14 EPISODES!!

is that a testament to great writing, acting, or both?