Home The Bridge

New 5* in Vault - Commodore Matt Decker

2»

Comments

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flemming wrote: »
    One of my quips about Discovery. In Kirk's era, the insignia badge was different for all ships. Later, because of the USS Enterprise, Starfleet made all insignias under the model of the Enterprise badge.

So why does everyone in Discovery have the Enterprise badge?

(I havent yet seen Discovery, I want to, so if the answer was given, I dont know)

Not answered on the show. I suspect it's just one TOS element that future shows have ignored, just like how TNG redefined the word quadrant.
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    Flemming wrote: »
    One of my quips about Discovery. In Kirk's era, the insignia badge was different for all ships. Later, because of the USS Enterprise, Starfleet made all insignias under the model of the Enterprise badge.

So why does everyone in Discovery have the Enterprise badge?

(I havent yet seen Discovery, I want to, so if the answer was given, I dont know)

Not answered on the show. I suspect it's just one TOS element that future shows have ignored, just like how TNG redefined the word quadrant.

I went to Star Trek dot com and found a memo restating Roddenberry's rule that everyone have the same badge. It was after the Doomsday Machine episode. But everyone should have had the same insignia.
    And to be honest, aside from idenifying what ship you served on, there is little use for such a unique badge.

I forget where I read the reasoning about the TNG unification, but it was before the internets. Maybe the 1st edition of the Star Trek Encyclopedia?
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that constellation was the same class as the Enterprise. They’re both constitution class right?

Also the registry numbers might not reflect the actual number of ships they have. I think this is common for militaries so that way enemies can’t determine the exact number of ships they have.

According to the people who make the show, the dedication plaque of the Defiant {as seen in "The Tholian Web" & "A Mirror Darkly"} indicates the Defiant, which appears to be the same class as the Enterprise is a Constitution Class Ship......
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Oh man... I was SO tempted to buy this pack. But the only crew besides the Commodore who I don't have immortalized is Tuxedo EggNog, so I wasn't willing to roll the dice.

But at least now I finally have an opportunity to use this gif I made many moons ago. And I agree with you, Travis — his crazed performance made for an utterly entertaining viewing experience. ;)

6d5yswn85hp5.gif

...is his uniform logo a pretzel?? :#

I wondered about that, too. Found out it's the insignia of his ship, the USS Constellation (NCC-1017)...
    146?cb=20090325125851&path-prefix=en

Another interesting bit of trivia, courtesy of Memory Alpha:
    In an excerpt from the writer's guide to Star Trek: The Motion Picture featured in The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Susan Sackett and Gene Roddenberry's book about the movie – Matt Decker is established as the father of Will Decker. Similarly, for the entry about Williard Decker (Will Decker) in the Star Trek Encyclopedia (4th ed., vol. 1, p. 191), he is identified as the son of Matt Decker. In a background note for this entry, the authors state that Paramount publicity materials for the first movie suggested the existence of this relationship.

William Ware Thiess {the costumer for TOS} designed a different patch for each Starship and Starbase. Kind of like how each Starfleet Ship in Enterprise has a different patch on the left sleeve. Because of budget issues, he could not make the Defiant Patches for "The Tholian Web", so the dead crew in that episode were all seen face-down, so the patch would not show.

Commodore Matt Decker does have the Constellation Patch in "The Doomsday Machine".....

8aj3bfl4tejf.jpg
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • The differing insignia on different Federation Starships in TOS is due to a "costume error".

All Starfleet crew were supposed to wear the same delta that the crew of the Enterprise wore. However, a misunderstanding stemming from the crew of the Antares in the episode Charlie-X having a different insignia (they were not members of Starfleet) the costume designers ended up giving some starships different insignia for some episodes.

Along with Cmdr. Decker of the Constellation, we also see Capt. Tracy of the Exeter, and Cmdr Wesley of the Lexington all wearing different insignia sue to the error, along with many Starbase personnel.

The error was corrected in later episodes, which explains why in some episodes we see non-Enterprise Starfleet personnel wearing the delta (such as Defiant crew in The Tholian Web).

You can read more about it here, along with a copy of the memo that was sent to the head of the costume department during the shows run.

https://intl.startrek.com/article/starfleet-insignia-explained