Home The Bridge

Voyages nerfed?

MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in The Bridge
Since around 2 weeks my voyage outcomes have become really bad and also my fleet colleagues recognized a significant devaluation of voyage rewards. Hardly any purples, less honor, less chrons, more 2* items.

Most of them now look like this:

n0c0zs86plib.png
5fw2zxd70n4s.png

Is it only us?

Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.

Comments

• No, I've been wondering this - 12.5 hours for no pinks and 700 chrons?

Several 8.5 hour voyages for sub 500 chrons and no pinks.

Happening a lot right now and I find it unlikely that its purely RNG.
  • Aha! I have been thinking this myself. Sometimes you get a bad run but it's been a while now.

I very rarely get any purples drop without a dilemma. Also my overall honour haul has been down.
  • It is RNG. My last voyage was 42 hrs long, I got 18 purples.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    No ...
    - I just finished a voyage this weekend with 5 4* crew at 8 hrs, none from a dilemma ... unfortunately, all were Honor ... granted, have not had this many 4*s in a while (say 1 month?).

- The voyage that just ended last night nabbed me 2 4* crew by 8 hrs, one from a dilemma (Kurak, i.e. honor) and one drop (Smuggler Yates, second star, wohoo!). Get voyages like this a couple of times a week for sure.

- My current voyage at 4.5 hrs has 2 3*s and 1 2* and 230 chronitons ... seems pretty average to me.

- The voyage you show above has the dreaded 5* ship schematics ... that could have been a 4* with a bit of luck giving you 617 Honor (at least) for your voyage, probably average/nothing special for that voyage duration.

This same topic comes up time and time again ... the thing is, most people don't really note their voyage rewards when they don't feel anything is "wrong" ... I personally never scroll to the right to see chronitons or items etc. because I don't really care, I like to keep track of the crew/Honor that comes in though and I haven't noticed anything strange with that aspect.

If you want to really know, you have to write down everything for the next month for each voyage, where you recall each voyage at the same moment each time (e.g. right after your 8 hr dilemma ... it is not a fair trial if you let some run to 11.5 hrs with 1 extension and others to 8.25 hrs with no extension ... right after 8 hrs is easiest because you just tapped for the dilemma, so you can instantly tap recall right afterwards).

I run about 1 and a bit 8 hr voyages a day ... so that would give you around 30-40 samples for the month. Then the next time you feel you have a "poor" voyage just check it to the data you've collected (standard deviations etc.) and see if it falls within the expected values ... anything over or under 2 standard deviations can be considered special ... now one poor voyage doesn't mean voyages have been hit with a nerf hammer ... there needs to be a consistent underperformance for that to be the case.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    No ...
    - I just finished a voyage this weekend with 5 4* crew at 8 hrs, none from a dilemma ... unfortunately, all were Honor ... granted, have not had this many 4*s in a while (say 1 month?).

- The voyage that just ended last night nabbed me 2 4* crew by 8 hrs, one from a dilemma (Kurak, i.e. honor) and one drop (Smuggler Yates, second star, wohoo!). Get voyages like this a couple of times a week for sure.

- My current voyage at 4.5 hrs has 2 3*s and 1 2* and 230 chronitons ... seems pretty average to me.

- The voyage you show above has the dreaded 5* ship schematics ... that could have been a 4* with a bit of luck giving you 617 Honor (at least) for your voyage, probably average/nothing special for that voyage duration.

This same topic comes up time and time again ... the thing is, most people don't really note their voyage rewards when they don't feel anything is "wrong" ... I personally never scroll to the right to see chronitons or items etc. because I don't really care, I like to keep track of the crew/Honor that comes in though and I haven't noticed anything strange with that aspect.

If you want to really know, you have to write down everything for the next month for each voyage, where you recall each voyage at the same moment each time (e.g. right after your 8 hr dilemma ... it is not a fair trial if you let some run to 11.5 hrs with 1 extension and others to 8.25 hrs with no extension ... right after 8 hrs is easiest because you just tapped for the dilemma, so you can instantly tap recall right afterwards).

I run about 1 and a bit 8 hr voyages a day ... so that would give you around 30-40 samples for the month. Then the next time you feel you have a "poor" voyage just check it to the data you've collected (standard deviations etc.) and see if it falls within the expected values ... anything over or under 2 standard deviations can be considered special ... now one poor voyage doesn't mean voyages have been hit with a nerf hammer ... there needs to be a consistent underperformance for that to be the case.

Without extending beyond 9h which is what I usually reach naturally I had ONE single purple in the last two weeks from a dilemma, zero from drops. With extension I had one voyage with 4 purples which was very extraordinary but the other two I extended returned with zero as well. Most obvious is the straight drop of honor though. I hardly ever had one with less than 200 honor from 9 hours but now the average is more around 160 to 180.

But it is not only my observation which really could be RNG but the majority of the fleet reports the same.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    Without extending beyond 9h which is what I usually reach naturally I had ONE single purple in the last two weeks from a dilemma, zero from drops. With extension I had one voyage with 4 purples which was very extraordinary but the other two I extended returned with zero as well. Most obvious is the straight drop of honor though. I hardly ever had one with less than 200 honor from 9 hours but now the average is more around 160 to 180.

But it is not only my observation which really could be RNG but the majority of the fleet reports the same.

The way you calculate honor has to do with the Dilemmas you face:

- 120 Honor (4*30 Honor) at 8 hrs is the bare minimum if you do not convert any of your crew into Honor ... if you add crew the bare minimum is: 4*30 + 4*50 = 320 Honor (you cannot get ship schematics from the lowest value dilemmas).
    So, this is kinda unlucky in regards to the dilemmas you've faced, because in 8 hrs the change to face a better value dilemma is quite high ... here's the voyage I'm currently on (can't remember how to take a screenshot of my phone) ...

r42md44zr2oy.jpg

Dilemma 1 : A Higher Duty pt 1 - Martok 2* + 30 honor
    Dilemma 2 : A Higher Duty pt 2 - Cretak 3* + 60 honor
    Dilemma 3 : A Life Alone pt 1 - R'Mor + 30 honor
    Drops : Morn 3* + 18 Honor
    = Total Honor : 438 - already well above minimum for 8 hrs and I'm only at 6 hrs.
    Chronitons : 358.

Aside from the fact that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for A Higher Duty pt 3 ... this is totally normal. Now, I could be lucky at 8 hrs and have a dilemma that drops a 4* (and 100 honor) or unlucky and have another one that drops a 2* (and 30 honor) ... so, that makes it 138+30 (168) or 138+100 (238) ... that's a whopping difference just on luck and can have a big difference on average depending on the number of voyages you are using to reach that average.

Again, the only way to know is to diligently track every voyage for an extended period, use that data as a base and then compare future voyages (good or bad) to that data. If you are only looking for "bad" voyages you are going to find examples, because that is what you are expecting and looking for.
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    I had such feelings myself but the last voyage got me 2 purples in 8 hours, so..who knows. “RNG” is like “42” - the ultimate answer.

I have another feeling - that drop rates of items from missions have been decreased, and so far this feeling stays. Though it may also be just RNG
  • marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed my voyage rewards have been crap over these last few weeks as well. I thought it was just a run of bad luck, but who knows?
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Again, the only way to know is to diligently track every voyage for an extended period, use that data as a base and then compare future voyages (good or bad) to that data. If you are only looking for "bad" voyages you are going to find examples, because that is what you are expecting and looking for.

As I did not note down my voyages earlier even if I did this now (I will not!) I had no data to compare it to.

Having a statistical evidence for a nerf or none would neither change my way to play nor would it reverse the nerf if there had been one. So the effort is not worth it for me either way.

I was just curious if anyone else noticed something or if it is just [Mirror]'s bad RNG luck.

My personal voyages were bad in the last weeks, this is a fact. I specifically paid attention to good or average outcomes after the first 3 voyages that were extraordinarily bad. And there was the really good one I mentioned above and with some good will one average one with one purple (but the rest like chrons and honor was underwhelming too), all the others were simply bad, even when I did not take notes of them.
  • It happens to me sometimes, esp during events for some reason. I have to keep track of what days of the week Voyages are better. But my last 11.5hr had one 3* and a few 2*'s.
    Sure ... why complain about a nerf if it has no effect on your gameplay? Just stating "Voyages nerfed?" is going to result in people saying "hey, yeah I've had a few poor voyages recently" (confirmation bias) because they're not going to think that you mean nerfed in a positive manner.

Dilemma 4 : The Cost of Living - Sela 4* (already immortal) + 100 honor
    Drops from 6 to 8 hrs : 39 honor
    = Total honor : 777
    Chronitons : 493.

I've now had 3 consecutive voyages with 4*s ... following your logic I can say that voyages have been nerfed to give more 4*s ... but I've also had 3 consecutive voyages without 4* in the recent past, so no, this is just the exception and I normally get a couple a week bringing back a 4*, just a bit lucky at the moment.

a21mw8wfr6u9.jpg

The golden time of voyages is behind us, where double tapping etc. resulted in bucketloads of crew and honor and chronitons and etc. etc. My current voyage is well within what I see as average.

I'll post my final just when I recall in an hour or so.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I had a run of poor voyages earlier in September, but the last week or two it's felt better. Had a 10-hour voyage with 5 super rare crew recently. So I suspect this is just RNG at work.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is just luck, but I've also had bad luck recently. More will come. Some of that is because I've held back crew during shuttle events, and I will hold them back most of this month.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Well RNG is RNG I guess....

that's random nerf generator btw

But in seriousness it does swing in roundabouts - there's been voyages I've had 8+ pruples other times streaks of greens.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
    This is how the voyage finished up ...

After 8 hrs : Disguised Chakotay 4* (already immortal) + 0 honor. Recalled just after 9.5 hrs.
    Total honor for voyage : 977.
    Total chrons. : 568.

Now, I didn't know how it would end when I first posted above, it was super average when I first posted ... but it turned out to be a nice voyage, a bit better than average. After 8 hrs I mainly got replicator rations, which went up to 26 4* ontop of the 18 3* I already had.
    So was lucky with the drops ... third voyage in a row with more than one 4* ... don't expect the next few to be good, and that's how I approach the luck elements in this game (voyage drops and gauntlet) ... never expect much and am happy when something does come my way. Don't feel like being salty about RNG, too much in my life is difficult enough as is.

ca1o3ofvbhpw.jpg
  • Not all voyages are created equal. Rng certainly plays a part. Last voyage barely paid anything. This one is an improvement. You pays yer money and you spins the wheel. Not every spin wins the plush teddy bear.
    1pyai0vcvi6g.png
    9d1euh1zvgmx.png
  • I noticed a serious decline in rewards about 2 weeks ago or so, but they have come back from that, so i believe it is just RNG. I even abandon a few during that spell, they were so bad.

My last 3 or 4 have not been worthy of report, as they have been bad ship calls (Hirogen, Maquis, etc.), and minimal top crew with proper traits. In between those, though, I had one drop 5 purple before the 8 hour mark, so...
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • It comes and goes. Every new voyage is its own animal. The only nerfing we are fairly certain of is the one that reduced the amount of chronitons you receive per voyage fairly shortly after voyages were introduced. As far as we know nothing else was changed then, and nothing else has changed since. You’re having a bad run, it happens.
  • Not all voyages are created equal. Rng certainly plays a part. Last voyage barely paid anything. This one is an improvement. You pays yer money and you spins the wheel. Not every spin wins the plush teddy bear.
    1pyai0vcvi6g.png
    9d1euh1zvgmx.png

Perfect example of how my experience has been. I really do think the time of the week plays a part with RNG also, just my opinion. Some are good, some are bad.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I have been having better than average luck in my voyages the last two weeks with the number of super rare drops.
    Let’s fly!
  • SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    I believe some of the rewards you get depend a lot on the two featured skills. Some are more prone to dropping purples than others.
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 4* crew, no 4* replicator rations, only 375 chrons....for a 9 hr 46 min voyage....
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a long period with little luck this summer.

But in August, after folks were dropped into the pool, I got Princess Jadzia, Irumodic Syndrome Picard, and Tarquin in short order.

Then my luck dried up again.

But I'm currently on a great voyage. The stars aligned and I got my strongest pairing, a useful ship trait, and appear to be on a "character heavy" voyage rather than the other types. Three purples by twelve hours isn't the best, but at least I got the fourth start for one and third for another.

Which probably means my next three voyages will just drop trainers. :)
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
    Just today I had 2 random purples but again straight honor and chrons were pathetic for >9 hours and far from what I was used to from earlier voyages even when they were shorter. Well... time will tell if it gets back to that.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sovinox wrote: »
    I believe some of the rewards you get depend a lot on the two featured skills. Some are more prone to dropping purples than others.

I was certain MED/DIP was the most lucrative for 4* crew drops. I started to collect some data but gave up because I didn't really care that much. I vacillate between whether I still believe that about MED/DIP Voyages or if it's just another of those perception-not-reality things.
  • VesmerVesmer ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Similarly, I don't see how they would have introduced a bug that offered different rates per skill.

I find your lack of faith in DB’s bug introducing abilities disturbing :)

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Sovinox wrote: »

I was certain MED/DIP was the most lucrative for 4* crew drops. I started to collect some data but gave up because I didn't really care that much. I vacillate between whether I still believe that about MED/DIP Voyages or if it's just another of those perception-not-reality things.

My general approach is to ask would DB intentionally make the decision. If I can find a simple reason for yes, then it's possible, if not then I assume it's either perception or a bug. And then I determine if a bug is likely or not.

In this case calculating random drops is simple. Adding different drop rates for different skills is extra work on their part. I don't see any benefit that get from that work, so I assume they took the simpler approach of just random selections.

Similarly, I don't see how they would have introduced a bug that offered different rates per skill.

So until evidence is presented that proves different skills have different rates, I'll assume it's all random and just a perception issue.

Aha! You see no simple reason for DB to have done such a convoluted, pointless thing and on that basis you discount it. Well, that's just what they wanted you to do! Wake up!

[/sarcasm in case for some reason that wasn't painfully clear]
  • I don’t think voyages have been nerfed. It’s just unlucky RNG. I had an 8 hour voyage earn under 300 chrons recently. In the same week, I had another 8 hour voyage earn almost 600 chrons.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...