Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Discovery Season 3 Trailer

2»

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Suicide Squad" Trailer and Joker......

Just saying. People getting bent out of shape because the ONE MINUTE trailer has a lot of Burnham.........
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    It's no surprise that once again Burnham is the only hope

Well, she is the main character so it is much like how lead character Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway always had to and did save the day. But yes, I agree, it gets predictable. Disco writers need to spread out the love and include the other crew too. Make it more ensemble and less Michael and the Burnhams.

The standout to me in the ridiculousness of Burnham always takes me back to last season when she had to come up with the idea of self destructing the ship which somehow COMPLETELY eluded Captain Pike's brain as an idea... it happens a lot with her character but this to me was the ultimate eyeroll.

I wouldn't mind if she did main character stuff, it's just gets painful how anytime she's not on screen all the other characters are like DAMN WE NEED MICHAEL

I'd enjoy Discovery a lot more if they did as you just said and spread the love out to the other characters more

The challenge that they've created for themselves is that they want Michael to be the hero, but, because she's not the decider or leader, she has to be the all-knowing and best executor in order to fill that role. She also has to understand the moral values at stake better than the leader. This limits the ability of others to shine and puts a greater spotlight on her individual capabilities, which must be greater than the capabilities of others. The logical solution to this is that, by the end of the season, Saru must sacrifice himself so that Michael becomes captain.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's no surprise that once again Burnham is the only hope

Well, she is the main character so it is much like how lead character Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway always had to and did save the day. But yes, I agree, it gets predictable. Disco writers need to spread out the love and include the other crew too. Make it more ensemble and less Michael and the Burnhams.

The standout to me in the ridiculousness of Burnham always takes me back to last season when she had to come up with the idea of self destructing the ship which somehow COMPLETELY eluded Captain Pike's brain as an idea... it happens a lot with her character but this to me was the ultimate eyeroll.

I wouldn't mind if she did main character stuff, it's just gets painful how anytime she's not on screen all the other characters are like DAMN WE NEED MICHAEL

I'd enjoy Discovery a lot more if they did as you just said and spread the love out to the other characters more

Yeah, the self-destruct thing was among the top ten most frustrating plot points for me. It's been clear from the outset that the Disco writing staff want nothing to do with a chain of command. My reading of that is that they're from the "hierarchies are bad, we're all equal" group. I would counter that one's rank in Starfleet does not correlate with one's value as a person and every other Star Trek series has made that explicitly clear and there's no reason they couldn't do that, too, but I digress.

The consequence of that, at any rate, is that Pike was reduced from being the captain in command of the U.S.S. Discovery to being the moderator of the Discovery's bridge crew. It was often annoying, but the self-destruct bit was outright insulting. Even Lorca was the victim of this approach at times. I loved "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad", but the fact Stamets went to Burnham instead of Lorca was similarly insulting. It wasn't even clear they'd bothered to tell Lorca anything until Mudd waltzed onto the bridge and Lorca sprung it on him that he was in on it after all.

Saru sacrificing himself and creating an opening for Captain Burnham definitely seems in keeping with their storytelling sensibilities, but I wouldn't put it past them for Burnham to simply outgrow the captaincy altogether.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Well if they are in the future where there is not Starfleet does Starfleet rank still exist? Yes it was dumb of Bryan Fuller to set up the show like this where the main character is not the captain. It causes problems over and over which is even more exaggerated when every storyline runs through Burnham or her endless number of family members that keep entering the show. Not only will Burnham be finding her mother I am certain somehow we will learn Craft is her relative too. There is a limit to the strain of credulity that even I a Disco lover can entertain.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if they are in the future where there is not Starfleet does Starfleet rank still exist? Yes it was dumb of Bryan Fuller to set up the show like this where the main character is not the captain. It causes problems over and over which is even more exaggerated when every storyline runs through Burnham or her endless number of family members that keep entering the show. Not only will Burnham be finding her mother I am certain somehow we will learn Craft is her relative too. There is a limit to the strain of credulity that even I a Disco lover can entertain.

I would argue that the premise of the main character not being the captain is perfectly sound. There are myriad ways it could be done. What you can't do is make the main character a subordinate who has all the access and agency of the captain--let alone the center of the entire universe.