Home The Bridge
Options

Nero!

Just noticed while sending out shuttles that one of the mission text refers to Ambassador Spock and "Nero, the mining ship captain". I was rushing too quickly to take a screenshot, but yeah. First in-game explicit acknowledgment of the Kelvinverse.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBBBOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    marschallinmarschallin ✭✭✭✭
    -_- Y'all are being pedantic even by Trekker standards. "Kelvinverse" is used as a distinguishing label for the three movies, including content set in the prime timeline. The point is that Nero is from the movies produced by the motion picture company Viacom that have heretofore been excluded from the video game Star Trek Timelines produced by Disruptor Beam because the licensing arrangement between the video game production company Disruptor Beam was with the television production company CBS and did not include an arrangement with the motion picture company Viacom. Is that better?

That depends. Can you provide citations for your answer? 😆
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quitting because certain characters were added is a bit extreme. I think cartoon characters are a bit goofy but I didn’t quit when they were added. I just didn’t get them and dismissed them if I did. I would prolly do the same with JJ peeps
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the other way. I take characters from any version. I'd love to see some of the book only characters and the Kelvinverse as well.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    This is so silly. Ignore all their stupid explanations about timelines. Just go by "Anything from Star Trek (2009), Star Trek Into Darkness, and Star Trek Beyond are an entirely separate reimagining."

Trying to give it credibility through over-explanation is a waste of your time.
  • Options
    I’d be well up for a Quinto Spock or a Pine Kirk. A Cumberbatch Khan card would be airlocked so so many times mind...
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    That is actually an error on our end. The text for that mission should not have said that.
    Nothing has changed regarding adding crew from the 3 movies from what is commonly referred to as the Kelvinverse/Kelvin timeline/JJverse and whatnot. :)

Sorry, no take-backs.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it more simple: For the faction missions in many cases DB just places some familiar names to give players their Star Trek vibe. And this time during that process the Nero "bug" happened. But I gladly stand corrected in the future...

• Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvgypib0tgm9.jpg
    lgqf3d5v8lv3.jpg
  • Options
    RennJaxoRennJaxo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I got REALLY excited by the title. Thought we were finally getting some Kelvin timeline crew up in here, starting with my boy Nero. (CMD/ENG/SEC?)
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    RennJaxo wrote: »
    Damn, I got REALLY excited by the title. Thought we were finally getting some Kelvin timeline crew up in here, starting with my boy Nero. (CMD/ENG/SEC?)

For three hours, I had that same excitement and same thought. This week has been full of disappointments. (Looking at you, Atlanta and Los Angeles.)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The destruction of Vulcan was the single most thing that me hate JJ-Trek.

He had to do something big to differentiate his timeline from prime. The problem for me was that then he dropped that storyline after that movie and made only passing mention to it instead of focusing the next movie on the issues that it caused. The Federation would have been changed significantly with the destruction of one of its founding members. Seems like if Spock was filled with overwhelming rage by the destruction of Vulcan others would have as well and would want to do something to Romulus. The destruction of Vulcan would have also caused huge stresses on the Federation that could have caused fracturing or threat of fracturing the Federation.

Agreed. I thought they did a good job in highlighting the differences caused by the surprise destruction of the Kelvin by a future ship...it’s disappointing they didn’t take that one step further and provide a little more connection between the three films.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I noticed in another Maquis mission some names I didn't recognize. I have no recollection of seeing any characters name-checked in game text who were not in the game and who were not canon, with the exceptions of Terran Emperor Spock and Romulan Empress Sela. In last week's event, for instance, the only characters named in any of the 24 missions were Major Kira, Tenavik, General Martok, Philippa Georgiou, and Luther Sloan.

I'm not posting this because I wonder if any of these are being planned for inclusion in the game. Even before today's Nero "error", we've seen plenty of characters be named in event or game text who still haven't turned up, or took literal years if they have. I'm just fascinated how the writers of the game work, how they came to use these names, and why there are several of these curiosities in this one event.
    FEDERATION "Taking the Heat"
    Wan'jin, an emissary to the Sakari, a secretive underground race, has sent a subspace message about the theft of heat-shielded metals from the Sakaran underground vaults. Look into this report.

The Sakari were the people in "Blood Fever", where Chakotay's away team first found evidence that Voyager had entered Borg space. I couldn't find any Wan'jin on Memory Alpha or Beta.

FERENGI ALLIANCE "Treasure Hunt"
    A Ferengi operative has come into possession of a map, believed to be pointing to a Travisian supply cache hidden in the Lyshan system. Follow the map and see what it's pointing to.

The Lyshan system is where Picard, Crusher, and Worf were to rendezvous for extraction after their mission on Celtris III ("Chain of Command"). I can find no entry on Memory Alpha or Beta for what the hell a Travisian is. I am, however, going to adopt that as the adjective for things related to me. This rabbit hole, for instance, is definitely a Travisian line of curiosity.

MAQUIS "Space Pirate"
    Starfleet Intelligence agent Michael Thom has new information about the activities of Ivra Kav, an Orion privateer. Meet Michael at the provided coordinates for a briefing, and watch for members of the Shadow Market.

This was the one that caught my eye after Nero, because I didn't recognize either of those names. My curiosity was further piqued when a Google search was not helpful. I eventually found on Memory Beta an entry for "Orion Ruse", a module in FASA's Star Trek RPG. They have them as Michael Thorn and Ivra Kerav, though, making me wonder if the names were altered so as to avoid infringement legalities or if they were just misremembered. I had the same confusion about the last one:

MAQUIS "How Suite It Is"
    Clegg, on Khosala II, has been working on a more advanced framework for holosuite technology. His computer has been hacked. Find the origin of the hack, and scramble the data stream.

Pretty sure that's Plegg on Khosla II. He was the Ferengi whose vaccuum dessicated remains were purchased by Quark in "The Alternate" only to turn up still alive. But he and that planet are canon, so there's no obvious reason for them to be misspelled, which is why I wonder if Michael Thorn and Ivra Kerav were misspelled on purpose or by accident.

That was a very Travisian analysis. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    That is actually an error on our end. The text for that mission should not have said that.
    Nothing has changed regarding adding crew from the 3 movies from what is commonly referred to as the Kelvinverse/Kelvin timeline/JJverse and whatnot. :)

JJ gonna sue somebody?
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we’re being picky about mission text:

bcnjq9qe64la.jpeg

Not that there’s been a lot of research on its effects, but it would be highly doubtful that cobalt (I) selenide would ever be a “condiment” for humans based on the chemistry of cobalt and selenium compounds. DS9’s writers really dropped the ball on that one...