Home The Bridge
Options

PSA: Server Push May Have Changed Your Voyage Skills

Comments

• Options
    eXo | SilverRose (retired)eXo | SilverRose (retired) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    So. You're force recalling all voyages? When? Are you going to give us notice first?

Because here's what I foresee happening. Best case? Voyage is 5 minutes away from dilemma, voyage gets autorecalled, people make angry words here and in tickets. Worst case? People pay dil to extend a voyage, voyage gets autorecalled, people set fire to things and make very angry words here and to google/apple.

I wish that you would a) announce that all voyages will be recalled at x hour to give us proper notice or b) tell us that after all voyages are in, the system will be taken offline to undergo repairs, similar to how you have handled the gauntlet and arena in the past.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning before we chime in with the "there's an in-game message going out" counter that the in-game messaging system can take hours or even days to fully propagate a message to all players. It's fully conceivable that while you're implementing a fix tonight it will happen before notice is provided to everyone.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Options
    My current voyage is only 15 minutes from returning. Should I hold off sending another? Will a new one be recalled after I send it?
  • Options
    What about the honor I am losing and the 10 hour dilemma that I was not able to choose. Will I get credit for that. I am stuck at the dilemma so I should get the hornor or the dil I used to get there.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    bioVOLTAGE wrote: »
    My current voyage is only 15 minutes from returning. Should I hold off sending another? Will a new one be recalled after I send it?

You might as well send it. You'll just get those rewards when they autorecall
  • Options
    CloneClone ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Admiral Prince.

I think some of us are concerned that you are now going to recall our voyages early. I already had to recall a voyage early today because of changed skills. And now with this second one, it means I've had no opportunity for a long-running voyage today, and no opportunity for higher rewards like purple crew.

We are also curious how this untested server change went live in the first place.

We are also concerned with the initial response telling us the problem was not related to server changes and that it was instead caused by the "00:00 UTC" issue -- which is completely ruled out by the timing of the error, which didn't happen at or around 00:00 UTC.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    bioVOLTAGE wrote: »

The forced recall will happen within the next hour, so if you were about to send a new one please wait if you do not want it being recalled.

• Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once all of the in-game messages have gone out (and we're checking the process), we're going to run the script to force recall all Voyages, then do the client restart.

Once the script has finished:
    • If your voyage is being recalled, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If your voyage is in progress, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If your voyage is currently in a failed state, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If you're stuck in a dilemma, your voyage will be recalled instantly.

In all cases, you'll have all of the rewards you've currently earned in your voyage, even if it failed (probably). This is a new thing we're doing.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    So. You're force recalling all voyages? When? Are you going to give us notice first?

Because here's what I foresee happening. Best case? Voyage is 5 minutes away from dilemma, voyage gets autorecalled, people make angry words here and in tickets. Worst case? People pay dil to extend a voyage, voyage gets autorecalled, people set fire to things and make very angry words here and to google/apple.

I wish that you would a) announce that all voyages will be recalled at x hour to give us proper notice or b) tell us that after all voyages are in, the system will be taken offline to undergo repairs, similar to how you have handled the gauntlet and arena in the past.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning before we chime in with the "there's an in-game message going out" counter that the in-game messaging system can take hours or even days to fully propagate a message to all players. It's fully conceivable that while you're implementing a fix tonight it will happen before notice is provided to everyone.

There are unfortunately limitations on how we can handle this particular and very specific situation.

As for in-game messaging, since quite a few months now, they are being sent out/propagating to all players in under 1h.
  • Options
    South of SuluSouth of Sulu ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    already answered. thanks
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clone 7 wrote: »
    We are also concerned with the initial response telling us the problem was not related to server changes and that it was instead caused by the "00:00 UTC" issue -- which is completely ruled out by the timing of the error, which didn't happen at or around 00:00 UTC.

What Shan clarified is that it was caused by a pushed fix for the 00:00 UTC issue.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the potential loss of a dilemma is made up for by the 1000 chrons, I have one 40 minutes away from the 8 hour dilemma and will be alright if I don’t get there due to the instant recall.

Plus I’ll get to send out the next voyage 3-4 hours early because of the instant recall.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once all of the in-game messages have gone out (and we're checking the process), we're going to run the script to force recall all Voyages, then do the client restart.

Once the script has finished:
    • If your voyage is being recalled, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If your voyage is in progress, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If your voyage is currently in a failed state, it'll have returned instantly.
    • If you're stuck in a dilemma, your voyage will be recalled instantly.

In all cases, you'll have all of the rewards you've currently earned in your voyage, even if it failed (probably). This is a new thing we're doing.

I am about to hit my 4 hour dilemma. So the worst 4 hours in a voyage with minimal rewards all for the sake of passing it to get the better rewards later. Now you're going to force recall it and force me to spend another useless 4 hours sending a new one out before I can reach better rewards.
  • Options
    Text of the in game mail you are about to get:

Greetings, Captains!

During one of our regular event server pushes, our engineers made changes to Voyages to address outstanding bugs. Unfortunately, this resulted in an unexpected issue which resulted in starships ended up becoming stuck.

In order to free all of the starships, Starfleet Command is recalling ALL Voyages, whether stuck or not:
    * The rewards from those recalled Voyages will be claimable, including those that are currently failed or are in transit.
    * A forced restart will be initiated once all Voyages have been recalled
    * We apologize for the inconvenience, and we are sending 1,000 Chronitons with this message as a compensation.

Should you still see a Voyage in an unusual state, please restart the game once more and it should clear up.

The STAR TREK TIMELINES Team

Thanks for the update and swift resolution. I, for one, appreciate it.
  • Options
    I must have been one of the lucky ones as none of the issues reported in this thread happened to me. When is the auto-recall happening?
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    The auto recall of voyages will begin (checks watch) Now. We are not certain exactly how long it will take. Thank you all for bearing with us, as we unstick those ships.
  • Options
    The forced restart just happened, in case anyone was wondering. Now to just wait for the game to reload.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • Options
    A big reward chest appeared instead of the usual 'ship with the u-turn arrow over it', that's new. There was some lag with the processing time, about half a minute, but the ship returned fine. That saved me an hour and a half. Thanks.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    It is looking like ships were safely returned with rewards in tact. we will continue to monitor.
    If you start a new voyage and you think it looks stuck, restart your game. As thousands of people all log back in at the same time there will be some lag, sorry about that. It will even back out.
  • Options
    So, now that things have been (more or less) resolved, what processes are going to be put in place to fix this latest fiasco?
  • Options
    Erin, Shan and Black Pebble,

it is the 1st time DB is doing well after 1 year and 8 months. I am impressed and want to thank you for the fast reaction and most for the good communication. Please keep that kind of communication alive.
    This could be the begining of a good friendship with your customers.

Cheers
    Captain Blaster
  • Options
    Thanks for the chrons. Ship back safe and fast. I assume we can send the next voyage out safely after the Gauntlet resets in 24 minutes or so? And do we have to log out and in again after that? Thank you Erin and Shan for fixing broken voyages for those who had them.
  • Options
    StormagedonStormagedon ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    OK, my voyage failed at 3:01pm MST (20:01 UTC).

I received a device notice about 25 minutes later telling me the voyage had reached a dilemma.

I knew when I logged back into the game that there was something wrong, as I had over 2000 am left a half hour earlier - 5 hours into the voyage.

I cancelled that voyage and launched another. The NEW voyage (about 20 minutes in) was recalled by the pushed restart.

The 5+ hour voyage is gone.

While the 1000 chrons almost makes up for the hassle and frustration - No, let's be honest, it doesn't even come close - there's the matter of the 200+ chrons, 80+ honor, 50+ 3* rep rations, 4 crew, and sundry objects I lost when that voyage failed.

Because DB will not bother to test their client/server updates before pushing them live!?! I am royally fed up.

<snip> Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
  • Options

it is the 1st time DB is doing well after 1 year and 8 months. I am impressed and want to thank you for the fast reaction and most for the good communication. Please keep that kind of communication alive.

Cheers
    Captain Blaster

You're kidding, right? The initial response was "there's nothing wrong", then finally acknowledgment of the problem, then a "fix" that made things worse, then a brute-force recall.

This is just another mistake in a long line of easily avoidable mistakes. It's getting tiresome and old.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as DB works hard on this game, makes improvements, fixes and also just now again gives a nice chrons compensation for things not working optimal it means STT is still very much alive and kicking. Or they would not move their butt. So thanks DB. Where humans work, mistakes happen. And anyone who is perfect can gladly throw some stones. I am not, so thx again...
  • Options
    It is looking like ships were safely returned with rewards in tact. we will continue to monitor.
    If you start a new voyage and you think it looks stuck, restart your game. As thousands of people all log back in at the same time there will be some lag, sorry about that. It will even back out.

No, not all of the affected ships were safely returned with their rewards intact.
  • Options
    Where humans work, mistakes happen.

That's why testing client and server changes before pushing them to a live environment is considered Standard Operating Procedure.
    And anyone who is perfect can gladly throw some stones. I am not, so thx again...

I have never, nor will ever claim perfection. At the same time, I know what proper quality assurance procedures are.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Cheers
    Captain Blaster

You're kidding, right? The initial response was "there's nothing wrong", then finally acknowledgment of the problem, then a "fix" that made things worse, then a brute-force recall.

This is just another mistake in a long line of easily avoidable mistakes. It's getting tiresome and old.

For sure the fix was more than not optimal, but they tried to fix it fast and they communicated the phases of their work and they were honest.

Last time DBs bug fix was so fast, it was when 4* and 5* crew came into the shops and because of a bug you could buy 5* crew for 1500 Dil. instead of 15k Dil. Anybody remember?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The initial response was "there's nothing wrong"

There was no such response. At least not in this thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dralix wrote: »
    The initial response was "there's nothing wrong"

There was no such response. At least not in this thread.

You're right, I apologize. The response was
    This has nothing to do with rewards or A/B server changes.
    It has to do with the issue were the skills change after 00:00 UTC if you were already logged in.

Which was later corrected to
    -earlier today, with the server push, we sent some fixes for Voyages issues such as skill changing and some Voyages getting stuck
    - those fixes did not have the desired effect and created additional issues as reported in this thread

So the initial response was wrong, as it *was* the server changes that broke everything.