Home The Bridge
Options

DB's blockchain cooperation with Forte

13»

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So what would you think a Gary Seven would cost then? Thousands of dollar? I doubt that there are enough people willing to pay that much to keep the prices that high for long. For real (physical) cards the only way to increase their value is a) deck combinations are discovered where the card is a must-have (irrelevant for STT) or b) they go out of print (currently irrelevant as well). So prices would inevitably fall over time for existing cards and only the new legendaries were expensive (if they were good).

Bar the OTT quotes rolling in, if that were the case people would take their chances on packs (assuming a featured pack) and would probably get him circa 10% of that price.

That aside he does come from the James T Kirk school of awesomeness, and his Voyage Stats are premium, so is his gauntlet score and he has enough traits to match some of the gauntlet prerequisites. + that's not all he comes with a free Isis. so 2 for the price of 1. The only thing that would mark up these cards was if they were pulled from the portal (similar to when the gauntlet characters made way for the new gauntlet character was introduced) and thus becoming a .... tonne rarer. However I knew of a Transformers game with that type of model and it did not last very long.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    More than once I've heard people here and in-game voice that they would like to have something to show for their investment (time and/or money) into this game. DB is in the business of making money, so, if we connect the dots here, I still don't understand why you guys (DB) haven't thought of custom merchandise, like crew cards with their owner's name and datetime of FFE, maxed ships that can be ordered as buildable models, or even plastic/metal "widgets" of in-game items like latinum, merit coins, dilithium crystals, etc.

The possibilities are endless for custom merchandise...

If cost of production is an issue, since 3D printers are fairly cheap to buy and run, why not allow us to print our own merchandise, and sell us a blockchain-backed RFID tag/plaque to make our printed items "authentic"? That should set apart someone printing numerous amounts of Enterprises and someone printing one (1) that they truly earned in-game. A simple scan of the tag would confirm authenticity online...

Since blockchain can record transactions, the original owner can then choose to sell their "model", and it would transfer to the new owner. The original owner will now be prevented from printing any more "authentically earned" ships (or other items) because the ledger's record will show who owns the "authentic" item. They can print 'til the printer catches fire, but none of the subsequent ones will be "authentic" unless it has the accompanying blockchain tag.

Just my two-Canadian-bits worth...
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Options
    HaBlackHaBlack ✭✭✭✭✭
    Card trading is something lot of players asked on this forum many times. And it is something quite normal in card collecting games.

Considering that everybody is afraid of somebdy beating the system with ALT accounts, such risk always exist, no mather what system you create.

But here is one from other game I play, not related to ST at all, but you can sell and buy your "cards". Just slightly modified to fit STT

You chose 1 card from your roster to sell and put it on auction with some starting price in dilithium.
    Your card is in auction for 7 days and then is transfered to the highest bidder, or back to you if there were no bids.
    While the card is in auction, it is still yours and can be used in your roster (but it cannot be freezed)
    Every player in the game can browse/search through entire auction and bid to any nunber of cards but there are some limits.
    Limits are

- You cannot bid on your own card (to inflate the price)
    - You cannot remove auctioned card from the market
    - You can sell just 1 card per week
    - There is no "buy it now" and you have to wait 7 days for auction to end.

PlayingSince: 2016-09-16Can we get some more characters from TAS?We finally have Caitians in the game!Character wishlist:
    • Lieutenant M'Ress - got her
    • Amanda Rogers - got her
    • Admiral S'rrel from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - not in the game yet
    • Agmar - not in the game yet
    • M'yra - not in the game yet
  • Options
    Captain Q wrote: »
    More than once I've heard people here and in-game voice that they would like to have something to show for their investment (time and/or money) into this game. DB is in the business of making money, so, if we connect the dots here, I still don't understand why you guys (DB) haven't thought of custom merchandise, like crew cards with their owner's name and datetime of FFE, maxed ships that can be ordered as buildable models, or even plastic/metal "widgets" of in-game items like latinum, merit coins, dilithium crystals, etc.

Design and manufacturing costs aside, I don't believe DB would have the rights for all of that. I have no details about their contract with the original rights holders, but I imagine it's pretty specific to this game. Any sort of merch like that would be contracted separately, and possibly conflict with Paramount's own merch (I think Paramount's the rights holder?), therefore they almost certainly wouldn't agree to it.
  • Options
    HaBlack wrote: »
    Card trading is something lot of players asked on this forum many times. And it is something quite normal in card collecting games.

Considering that everybody is afraid of somebdy beating the system with ALT accounts, such risk always exist, no mather what system you create.

But here is one from other game I play, not related to ST at all, but you can sell and buy your "cards". Just slightly modified to fit STT

You chose 1 card from your roster to sell and put it on auction with some starting price in dilithium.
    Your card is in auction for 7 days and then is transfered to the highest bidder, or back to you if there were no bids.
    While the card is in auction, it is still yours and can be used in your roster (but it cannot be freezed)
    Every player in the game can browse/search through entire auction and bid to any nunber of cards but there are some limits.
    Limits are

- You cannot bid on your own card (to inflate the price)
    - You cannot remove auctioned card from the market
    - You can sell just 1 card per week
    - There is no "buy it now" and you have to wait 7 days for auction to end.

That seems like a perfectly reasonable and sound game mechanic. No early buyouts is an especially nice idea that would greatly curtail potential abuse in my mind. If you want to try to sell a card to/from an alt account, you can, but only if the market lets you do it. The only thing I would add is that DB ought to take a cut of the proceeds of the sale. Not because they need it, but because that would prevent a closed loop of you paying yourself with your own funds in perpetuity.
  • Options
    Captain Q wrote: »

The possibilities are endless for custom merchandise...

It's not that we haven't thought of it. It's that there are virtually zero possibilities for merchandise as you've described. Rights licenses are typically specific. Simon & Shuster can't make Trek toys, and McFarlane Toys... Well, they apparently can't make Trek toys, either. There'd have to be a partnership of some kind, and most of the elements in Timelines are already covered by the rights held by those companies. Round2 doesn't need to partner with DB to make buildable ship models because that's what they're already doing.

It'd have to be a thing where DB partnered with another license holder of different kinds of product to make something based on Timelines' Originals crew. And those are so polarizing that DB can't introduce any of those even in the game without igniting ten page manifestos of how fake and disrespectful those are, so you couldn't even count on the Timelines player base to support those.

(I would personally be tempted by a 23rd Century Martok action figure or ornament, if only to commemorate the furor he set off on the old forum. Good times.)
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    "- You cannot bid on your own card (to inflate the price)"

This will be rampant with fake IPs used to do it - along with tons of feeder accounts selling stuff to get the dilithium or credits or whatever currency.

The way they did this in travian (my first game ever!) was to make the auctions completely anonymous and somewhat difficult to track down your own items. You wouldn't be able to see your own items from your own real account. Now if it's a rare card with only a couple up for sale you could probably figure it out with your fake accounts. But if it's a common card with hundreds for sale it should be ok.

I think a straight market is better. Post it for 1000 dilithium - sold. done. Sure you could transfer dilithium between accounts this way - but who cares (DB does).
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    "- You cannot bid on your own card (to inflate the price)"

This will be rampant with fake IPs used to do it - along with tons of feeder accounts selling stuff to get the dilithium or credits or whatever currency.

The way they did this in travian (my first game ever!) was to make the auctions completely anonymous and somewhat difficult to track down your own items. You wouldn't be able to see your own items from your own real account. Now if it's a rare card with only a couple up for sale you could probably figure it out with your fake accounts. But if it's a common card with hundreds for sale it should be ok.

I think a straight market is better. Post it for 1000 dilithium - sold. done. Sure you could transfer dilithium between accounts this way - but who cares (DB does).

If there were an auction component, there may be legal issues in various jurisdictions. I remember reading up on Diablo III and the Auction House it used to have, which made the entire game unavailable in South Korea due to the wording of their gambling laws. To avoid a similar situation, this would almost assuredly have to be set up like the Exchange in STO - a single price set at the time of listing.