Home The Bridge
Options

The 'Honor Piñata' Philosophy (Formerly Strategy)

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in The Bridge
Over the last several months I have occasionally (and accidentally) partially hijacked threads on the forum by sharing the strategy I used to get stronger, make progress on my in-game goals, and at least partially avoid the issue of having a large collection of essentially useless 1/5 crew, so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to the “Honor Piñata” so the details could be better explained, people could ask questions or raise concerns, and all without disrespecting anybody else's thread.

Before I begin, a few disclaimers. The contents of this thread are not going to be very useful/helpful for a new player, it is for players who have all the 1*-3* completed, a strong collection of 4* crew, and who have at least a good start on 5* crew. Additionally, I have no clue how any of this will translate to a VIP0 playing style, hopefully some of it is useful but I'm a spender so these ideas are all from the perspective of a spender.

The primary tenets of this strategy are to have defined goals, make bold, fearless decisions in service to those goals based on reliable information, and have the confidence to live with the results. In short, mirror the behavior of a strong Starfleet captain like Sisko, Picard, Janeway, or Kirk: know what you want to do, make sure every decision is researched from all available information, make the best decision you can at the time, and then live with the results secure in the knowledge that your decision is defendable.

Step one is to set your goals. They can be anything you want, but I will share mine to help explain. For over a year now I have set the goal to get my overall voyage strength as strong as possible, my second goal is to work on completing Collections, and my final goal is to immortalize every Janeway. I also have a pipe dream “goal” of someday getting a copy of Locutus, which has manifested in a dedication to consistently strong Gauntlet play. EVERY decision I make in game is in service to one of these goals.

I recently found the notebook I kept last November where I charted 100% of the voyages I sent out, and I was averaging about 6:30 voyages then. Over the last 12 months I have worked to refine my strategies both by my own research but also from talking to other players, and over that time the Honor Piñata strategy was developed, and I've been aggressively implementing it ever since. Much of my conversations about this were with @Banjo1012 as his strategy and mine were very similar, and over these last few months we've worked together to refine our methods. I am happy to report that as of November 2019, with very few exceptions, 9:30 voyages are now my floor and I consistently hit 10+ hour voyages.

OK, so let's look under the hood a bit here and get into some details; I will stick with the goal of voyage strength as that is the most relevant for most people, and the one that requires the most work. Improving voyage strength takes a LOT of effort, but the biggest is to take advantage of player-generated resources like the STT wiki and the AWESOME spreadsheets linked in the Ready Room (seriously, a heartfelt thank you to those of you who create and maintain those spreadsheets!). Pay attention to three skill crew that have two very strong voyage skills (for example, Captain Braxton has a very strong Command/Engineering voyage score). Make a list of the strong voyagers, making sure to cover as many skill pairings as possible, so you will be prepared for all of them. The crew on that list are the ones you want to acquire, fuse up, and work on.

When you get a new 5* crew, look it up and see how it stacks up with your goals. Is it a good voyager at 5/5? Will it help you get a Collection when immortalized? At 1/5 FE are its proficiencies strong enough to be a viable Gauntlet contributor? Is it a character you just want for personal reasons? Do you need this crew to make a run in next week's event? Is this a main cast card that is likely to see occasional event usefulness? If you answered “Yes” to even one of these questions, keep the crew. If however you answered “No” to them all, that crew is not helping you and would be better served being dismissed for 550 Honor, which you will use to work toward buying citations for other 5* crew you already have and have identified as being necessary for your goals.

I've said this in less detail before and I always get replies from people asking things like “But aren't you afraid about dismissing a 5*, it may be needed later?” or “What if you get another copy later?” or “Why work hard in an event to earn a 5* crew you don't intend to use?” or “Aren't you worried that the 5* crew you dismiss today will be the feature crew on a future premium track campaign?” Let me address those questions one at a time.

“But aren't you afraid about dismissing a 5*, it may be needed later?” Absolutely not. This system only works because I tirelessly research these issues from both sides – I look up each card individually AND I also research my goals, so when I get a new card I spend a few minutes going over my notes and if the card isn't going to help me, I KNOW IT, and if it isn't going to help me as an active crew, I can make it help me by getting me closer to a 5* citation. Remember, this is all about making the best decision you can at the time and then confidently living with that decision. No regrets, ever.

“What if you get another copy later?” Then I get another 550 Honor donation! That first copy was going to stay at 1/5 forever and never receive a citation, and at 2/5 that is not going to change. There is no real difference from 1/5 to 2/5, so nothing changes, especially if that card at 5/5 is still not going to make an impact, dismiss those cards when you get them and enjoy the extra Honor!

“Why work hard in an event to earn a 5* crew you don't intend to use?” What else am I going to use those resources for? Spending chronitons, shuttle boosts, etc to win a 5* crew to dismiss it for Honor is cheeky way of turning your surplus game resources into 5* citations faster! I don't do it every week, but I do do it at least once a month. You have fun playing the event, you use up some resources that are gathering dust, and you get closer to a 5* citation, it's pretty much winning all the way around.

“Aren't you worried that the 5* crew you dismiss today will be the feature crew on a future premium track campaign?” I am glad you asked, as this exact thing happened a few months ago. At some point last year I acquired a copy of Commander Troi (aka Drunk Troi) from a pack and after realizing she was not great for me, I airlocked her for 550 Honor. Then she showed up in the campaign a few months ago and I bought the premium campaign and airlocked all 4 copies for 2,200 Honor! Remember, do the research, make good decisions, and live with them, no regrets, ever.

Basically, the core of the Honor Piñata strategy is to identify crew you need to advance your goals, and acquire Honor as rapidly as possible to get 5* citations for those crew. This entails airlocking unwanted 5* crew, always hitting threshold every week for both the 1,500 Honor reward and the Honor from the 350,000 point Premium Pack reward, and buying packs including the 90,000 credit Basic Rewards Packs.

Once you get a few really strong 5* crew immortalized you will realize that many of those 1/5 5* crew you have are just taking up space, and at that moment you will know you are on the path to sustained success :)

A couple other tricks:

1. Always buy the premium campaign, the resources on the premium track are very good and will really help you reach threshold every week.

2. When you get a good 5* drop that is on your list of good crew you need, take advantage of the DYC offer to get a guaranteed second star, this will make it easier to immortalize that crew later.

Comments

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    (cut for character limit)

I welcome questions and comments about this, I hope we can use this platform to share ideas and help as many people as possible.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your strategy will obviously work if your primary objective is getting better.

The reason that I don’t/won’t implement a strategy like this is because that’s not my primary objective. My primary objective is collecting, with a secondary objective of getting better. For someone who enjoys this collection aspect, having oodles of 1/5 Legends is frustrating. That’s why some of the ideas of having increased drop rates or packs of “decrepit” legendaries would be a boon to someone like me. I’m not looking to compete with you, just be able to collect and freeze some cards I like. Ruthlessly airlocking everyone would make me enjoy the game less, even if I got objectively better in terms of Voyage score or whatnot.

I think your strategy is great for getting better. I’m just saying that strategy will not help those of us who play differently, and that’s probably why more of us haven’t looked to implement something similar.

Those of us who are collectors are still staring at a collection of 1/5s, with no end in sight. 😕

First, thank you for your honest reply, I appreciate it :)

Second, I respect the hell out of your game goals, I wish you luck. I do have a follow up question for you based on your reply, is it your goal to "collect" EVERY card, or just select cards? I hope you will accept this comment in the spirit of good will it is intended, but if your goal is to collect EVERY card, I do not believe that is reasonable or achievable, but I wish you luck.

If however you are a bit more selective in your desire to collect, the Honor Piñata can be adapted to fit your needs! Let's say you really like TOS, TNG, DS9, and maybe a couple other random characters like Tom Paris or Hoshi Sato. THAT becomes your goal, so if you get a begold and you get the option to choose a TNG crew, grab it! If there is an event and a new 5* Quark is introduced, grab it! And if you somehow get a copy of a 5* Malcom Reed that doesn't fit your collection goals, airlock him for the Honor to help your collection.

The other way the Honor Piñata will help you is by giving your more resources via more successful shuttles and longer voyages, resources that will directly improve your chances of winning future cards you want for your collection or for leveling up new cards you acquire.

=================

I forgot a third trick:

3. Under most circumstances, if you get a chance to add a star to an existing crew in a begold, do it. Obviously if you have the chance to pick up a GREAT card for one of your goals that might be the better choice, but all things being equal, adding stars is better than adding crew in begolds.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allow me to add a few tweaks according to my game plan. I always went strictly as a fan. If I liked the character I kept it. If not, out it went. When voyages were introduced, I started to look for four crew of every skill pairing (three skill crew of course). This way when say a SCI/COM voyage came up, I had four crew with SCI and COM as either primary or secondary to fill those four slots. By doing this you don’t have to worry about shuttles as this automatically satisfies all your shuttle skill pairing needs. This meant a few duplicate crew. For instance, I won Rev Phlox in an event , immortalized him, got Cap Bev from the honor store and immortalized her. Then when I saw Phlox shoe up in Dabo, ran it, DYC’d, and immortalized both. Bam, four MED/COM crew. Or for MED/SEC, all I had was DA McCoy, so when Neelix came in an event, I won four copies and immortalized three. Bam. Four MED/SEC heavy crew. Now I’m at the point where I have all skill pairings covered (except MED/ENG. this puts me at the point where the only cards I keep are the ones I want as a fan now. I have more than four SCI/COM but I love Enterprise so I went hard after Navaar and got her immortalized. I have no crew needs, I did it as a fan of Enterprise and as a fan of Orions. Only difference I have with my friend @ByloBand is I never take collections into account. The boost you get, to me, is not worth the resources needed to put into scoring a collection bonus. That could be because my fleet has a 134 starbase so I’m not as thirsty for that bonus, but I didn’t care about collections even when I was flying solo and fleetless. So yes, my friend, I airlock tons of legendaries. This is a big reason why I have the honor to immortalize three Neelix’s and three Phlox’s, and whoever I get every once in a while as a fan. Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, I’m not spending ridiculous amounts of dilithium on a tiny bit of crew slots. I can save that dilithium for finishing high enough in faction events to get 4 copies of the 5* reward crew. Or spending it on gauntlet to win 5 copies of Armus and Locutus.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    One problem I see in your system Bylo is that if you are squad leader often times the 1/5 for that week will be a really good share so you cannot exactly airlock it before the event and after the event you have used up a lot of resources to lvl that person up to lvl100. Second problem is that your system is very expensive. The campaigns every month are $10 which is $120 a year. Then you are adding on some DYC's which are $25 each. If you have the money to spend then by all means spend it but I find DYC's to be a terrible value. For that $25 I could buy 2 campaigns where I get 8 legendaries, 2 legendary citations and many other things. For two DYC's I could buy 5 campaigns. And for what do I get from a DYC? Adding one star for each DYC and some low lvl items to get that crew person to lvl50 which is easy to do without those items. That is a bad deal unless you have a lot of disposable income.

As to helping earn honor, a great way is saving credits and buying the 90k credit packs and airlocking the crew for honor. For every million in credits you get about 700-950 in honor. It adds up fast. So I try to only use my credits for levelling up crew and buying 90k credit packs with just occasional replicators as needed.

Those are good points, especially about the DYC. I do not DYC often, but I never hesitate if I get a crew I've earmarked as one I definitely need to get immortalized, that is usually my criteria. That, and I DYC all the mega event legends to let me save my citations for the 5* crew I need to work on. If you are concerned about spending I would be happy to share with you one of my tricks in a private message.

As far as being squad leader, that is a tricky tightrope to walk, but it is manageable. In the past we have rotated squad leader status when it was advantageous, but lately I've been operating under the premise that an immortalized 4* event crew is roughly equal to a 1/5 event crew.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from ... as I indicated in my reply in the other thread ... but I think you shoot yourself in the foot with your example:

You airlocked Little John Riker ...

- Is it a good voyager at 5/5? Reasonable, has better SEC/CMD combo compared to similar crew like High Roller Sisko and Durango Troi ... but has slightly less total the HR Sisko.

- Will it help you get a Collection when immortalized? Yes ... he will be added to the Sherwood collection.

- At 1/5 FE are its proficiencies strong enough to be a viable Gauntlet contributor? No.

- Is it a character you just want for personal reasons? No.

- Do you need this crew to make a run in next week's event? No

- Is this a main cast card that is likely to see occasional event usefulness? Yes, I would classify Riker as main cast, with a Riker best SEC-base and a #2 CMD-base (behind Age-of-Sail) for Rikers to boot.

If you answered “Yes” to even one of these questions, keep the crew. --> Keep crew ... following your mantra.
    But you airlocked him for emotional reasons. It is all well and good setting out a whole system on which to base your decisions and it is a good system for anyone to get good quick ... but most people will start making decisions on based on emotional drivers (character looks cool, boy they were silly in that show etc.).

In my opinion it's better to play without a rigid set of decision gates ... just have fun ... and I'm not the kind of player that is constantly looking to improve anyway.

I understand what you are saying, and you make good points. And like you said, any rigid system is not valuable as any good system needs flexibility, and I can say that I do employ flexibility when I need to.

With regard to Little John Riker, that is not an entirely fair comparison, I did not win him in a vacuum, I made the decision to expend resources to win a copy before the event even started under the goal of airlocking him. Part of that was as you said to have fun, because earlier in the week I won a copy of "Minuet" Picard (Smitten Picard) and I thought it would be funny to airlock both of them at the same time! Plus, I had fun in that event, so it was no big deal.

Ultimately, this all breaks down like @Travis S McClain said, it is OK to airlock 5* crew. This thread is setup to provide people with the details to see if it makes sense to them or not, and if it doesn't make sense for you and how you play, that is perfectly fine. But there have been many people over the months who have in so many words asked me to be more specific, and that is what I've tried to do here. There is no right or wrong way to play.
  • Options
    Are players actually pressured, even implicitly, to compete for, collect, level, and equip 5* crew for the sake of sharing them with their squadron the next week? Please tell me that's not true.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are players actually pressured, even implicitly, to compete for, collect, level, and equip 5* crew for the sake of sharing them with their squadron the next week? Please tell me that's not true.

I usually have a good one to share anyway. Like this week I could have put a 5/5 Admiral Riker out there or I have a few 5/5 Bashirs. As for the next weeks event, I have a 1/5 Little John Riker for this event. I want Kamala so I’ll get a copy of her then flush him down the Little John afterwards. I did put something into getting him to 1/5, but I have more chrons than I know what to do with and more replicator fuel than I will ever use. Sure Kamala is Professor Sato lite but I will DYC and 5/5 her then I have an immortalized copy of a card I’m a fan of because crew needs are no longer a concern. I have two 5* cites from the last campaign, am getting another pretty soon, and 420,000 honor. Gonna get Kamala 5/5 and have plenty left for next time a personal fan favorite comes along

• Options
    ByloBand wrote: »
    In short, mirror the behavior of a strong Starfleet captain like Sisko, Picard, Janeway, or Kirk: know what you want to do, make sure every decision is researched from all available information, make the best decision you can at the time, and then live with the results secure in the knowledge that your decision is defendable.

I'm surprised @Banjo1012 didn't pick up on the fact that.... YOU LEFT OUT ARCHER!!!!! I immediately lost interest when you left him out of the line up of strong Captains......

JK I found it very interesting, but don't have the will power to do it. Heck freezing Minuet wasn't easy for me and she was ff\fe and done, and I'm sure come events end even tho Kamala will be 1\5 and probably won't be ff for a very long time... I won't be able to bring myself to airlock her...
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In short, mirror the behavior of a strong Starfleet captain like Sisko, Picard, Janeway, or Kirk: know what you want to do, make sure every decision is researched from all available information, make the best decision you can at the time, and then live with the results secure in the knowledge that your decision is defendable.

I'm surprised @Banjo1012 didn't pick up on the fact that.... YOU LEFT OUT ARCHER!!!!! I immediately lost interest when you left him out of the line up of strong Captains......

JK I found it very interesting, but don't have the will power to do it. Heck freezing Minuet wasn't easy for me and she was ff\fe and done, and I'm sure come events end even tho Kamala will be 1\5 and probably won't be ff for a very long time... I won't be able to bring myself to airlock her...

Ha! Well the last time I mentioned he wasn’t in the “strong” captains pack I got lambasted so I let that go since this thread is a different topic. If I didn’t want Kamala I would have just did one recipe for the community rewards and took the weekend off. If it were a faction I prolly would not have scored top 1500, just been happy with thresholds. If a skirmish I would get top 1500 and air locked her. This week would have been perfect to make a top 5 run and not use any honor or cites but this new job will not give me the time to do galaxy at work. But when the dust settles I’ll have free time at work and will be up there again soon

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go threshold and out, win the legendary, and airlock everything you can get close to if not 4,000 honor from the event.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

Ha! Well the last time I mentioned he wasn’t in the “strong” captains pack I got lambasted so I let that go since this thread is a different topic. If I didn’t want Kamala I would have just did one recipe for the community rewards and took the weekend off. If it were a faction I prolly would not have scored top 1500, just been happy with thresholds. If a skirmish I would get top 1500 and air locked her. This week would have been perfect to make a top 5 run and not use any honor or cites but this new job will not give me the time to do galaxy at work. But when the dust settles I’ll have free time at work and will be up there again soon

TBH I don't see how he isn't considered a strong captain...however that is a discussion for another thread...I won't hijack this one, eh @ByloBand :smirk:
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

TBH I don't see how he isn't considered a strong captain...however that is a discussion for another thread...I won't hijack this one, eh @ByloBand :smirk:

I totally agree. And I didn’t want to hijack his thread either. Correction regarding above. In a galaxy it could net you over 5000 honor with the community rewards
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    One problem I see in your system Bylo is that if you are squad leader often times the 1/5 for that week will be a really good share so you cannot exactly airlock it before the event and after the event you have used up a lot of resources to lvl that person up to lvl100. Second problem is that your system is very expensive. The campaigns every month are $10 which is $120 a year. Then you are adding on some DYC's which are $25 each. If you have the money to spend then by all means spend it but I find DYC's to be a terrible value. For that $25 I could buy 2 campaigns where I get 8 legendaries, 2 legendary citations and many other things. For two DYC's I could buy 5 campaigns. And for what do I get from a DYC? Adding one star for each DYC and some low lvl items to get that crew person to lvl50 which is easy to do without those items. That is a bad deal unless you have a lot of disposable income.

As to helping earn honor, a great way is saving credits and buying the 90k credit packs and airlocking the crew for honor. For every million in credits you get about 700-950 in honor. It adds up fast. So I try to only use my credits for levelling up crew and buying 90k credit packs with just occasional replicators as needed.

Those are good points, especially about the DYC. I do not DYC often, but I never hesitate if I get a crew I've earmarked as one I definitely need to get immortalized, that is usually my criteria. That, and I DYC all the mega event legends to let me save my citations for the 5* crew I need to work on. If you are concerned about spending I would be happy to share with you one of my tricks in a private message.

As far as being squad leader, that is a tricky tightrope to walk, but it is manageable. In the past we have rotated squad leader status when it was advantageous, but lately I've been operating under the premise that an immortalized 4* event crew is roughly equal to a 1/5 event crew.

I like most of your strategy and employ many of those techniques already, I just hate airlocking 1/5 crew. I suppose I will have to soon but the 550 honor for doing it is so small. I would suggest waiting towards the end of a month in non mega months to airlock the legendaries so you do not airlock crew that will be bonus in the upcoming mega. I also try to airlock super rares on Fridays after I hear who the event crew will be for the next week.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options

I usually have a good one to share anyway. Like this week I could have put a 5/5 Admiral Riker out there or I have a few 5/5 Bashirs. As for the next weeks event, I have a 1/5 Little John Riker for this event. I want Kamala so I’ll get a copy of her then flush him down the Little John afterwards. I did put something into getting him to 1/5, but I have more chrons than I know what to do with and more replicator fuel than I will ever use. Sure Kamala is Professor Sato lite but I will DYC and 5/5 her then I have an immortalized copy of a card I’m a fan of because crew needs are no longer a concern. I have two 5* cites from the last campaign, am getting another pretty soon, and 420,000 honor. Gonna get Kamala 5/5 and have plenty left for next time a personal fan favorite comes along

What you've described is a matter of indulgence. I was trying to get at players who felt compelled to keep up with 5*'s for the express purpose of sharing. For instance, are there players this week who are going all out for Kamala this week solely because their squadron expects to have a 1/5 Kamala shared with them next week? And will go all out for Cadet First Class Not-Paris next week because they're expected to share him the week after that?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you've described is a matter of indulgence. I was trying to get at players who felt compelled to keep up with 5*'s for the express purpose of sharing. For instance, are there players this week who are going all out for Kamala this week solely because their squadron expects to have a 1/5 Kamala shared with them next week? And will go all out for Cadet First Class Not-Paris next week because they're expected to share him the week after that?

I hear that. I’ve never been much of a team player and I’m certainly not going to tailor my game strategy to benefit others. I never lead a squad anyway. Even if I’m making a faction run I benefit more from getting a shared crew which could mean an extra successful shuttle each run versus the points I would gain from the others successes

• Options

I like most of your strategy and employ many of those techniques already, I just hate airlocking 1/5 crew. I suppose I will have to soon but the 550 honor for doing it is so small. I would suggest waiting towards the end of a month in non mega months to airlock the legendaries so you do not airlock crew that will be bonus in the upcoming mega. I also try to airlock super rares on Fridays after I hear who the event crew will be for the next week.

There'll always be a reason to think you'll have a reason to keep everyone. "I might need this someday" is an unhealthy reason to hold onto things, except Band-Aids, Allen wrenches, and receipts no older than 90 days. Go on, shove a 5* crew out the airlock. It's liberating. All the cool kids are doing it.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

There'll always be a reason to think you'll have a reason to keep everyone. "I might need this someday" is an unhealthy reason to hold onto things, except Band-Aids, Allen wrenches, and receipts no older than 90 days. Go on, shove a 5* crew out the airlock. It's liberating. All the cool kids are doing it.

HA!!! Let me add to that the random keys you find in the junk drawer in the kitchen

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things:

First, this sounds more like a Lorca strategy to me, and less like anything the other captains would do.

and

Second, allow me to applaud the use of "Honor Piñata" again. And now it's a strategy! :D
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »
    Two things:

First, this sounds more like a Lorca strategy to me, and less like anything the other captains would do.

and

Second, allow me to applaud the use of "Honor Piñata" again. And now it's a strategy! :D

Archer was too much of a nice guy, but all the others were plenty ruthless at times. Hell, "Get off my ship!" was Janeway's motto.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    EnderW wrote: »
    Two things:

and

Archer was too much of a nice guy, but all the others were plenty ruthless at times. Hell, "Get off my ship!" was Janeway's motto.

I can refute this with an answer of Star Trek: Enterprise Season 3, but I must........not..........hijack...........thread ahhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

If it helps the mental math, do not think of it as 550 Honor, think of it as 1.1% of a 5* citation. If that 1.1% was the only progress you make in a 48 hour window it will definitely not feel like much, but when you drop it in with the Honor you get each day from your fleet, from the packs you open, from voyage hauls, etc, it hurts a lot less :)

RaraRacing wrote: »
    It is difficult to comment when the goal posts are shifted with each reply ...

Why is LJ Riker not a fair comparison? Just because you don't like that crew doesn't change any of the answers. So your airlocking of 5*s is not only based on the Piñata thing, but also on your personal whims ... so how is that any different for how someone like me comes to conclusions?

I re-read your initial post (only skimmed over it the first time) ...
    You also mentioned you airlocked 4 copies of Commander Troi ... sure, but if I answer those questions you put forward I'm again going to get a Yes ... which will again lead me to Keep crew.
    --> She's main cast crew and has the highest DIP of available Troi variants (Merry Men Troi is not yet in portal - so someone like me who doesn't buy Tuesday packs will have to wait 1 year before she can be attained through a lucky portal pull) ... Commander Troi is far from great, but if I had her immortalised I'd treat her like a 4* ... just freeze until needed for an event.

Personally, I'd just stick with Travis's approach ... it is okay to airlock a 5* if that fits how you play, no matter what the whole system behind it is.

I'm honestly struggling to determine if you are arguing in good faith or are deliberately being difficult, to get under my skin, but for the time being I'll assume the former. It is just a tough assumption to make given that you are laser-focussed on a tiny portion of the sales pitch portion of the post and seem to be ignoring the actual strategy portion, such as it is.

With regard to your objection about me airlocking Little John, it is absolutely not an apples-to-apples comparison. He did not appear out of thin air randomly from a pack, I did my usual research/process on him BEFORE I spent a single resource in last week's event and made the decision to spend resources for the express purpose of airlocking him for 1.1% of a 5* citation. That is not an emotional response, if anything it is first degree murd airlocking. Adding one more Riker at 1/5 that was never going to advance beyond 1/5 to a stable of solid 4/4 Rikers was not something that needed to occur.

Same thing with your Troi example. When I got my single random copy of her months ago I looked up her stats, talked to a few people, and came to the quick determination that she was very subpar, and made the easy call to cash her in for 1.1% of a citation. Then later she re-appeared in the campaign, and since I had already decided she was subpar I was obviously not keen to keep the 4 incoming copies, but I did consider it, but at 4/5 the decision was made to stick to the original plan, and another 4.4% progress was made.

IF my state goal was to compete for the top of the leaderboard each week, then yes, your objections would definitely have a lot more validity because I would want every copy of every main cast card to make deep faction event runs, but as my stated goals are to achieve voyage excellence, collections progress (and before you say it, as has been previously stated in this thread, I already have a plan in place for the collection LJ Riker will one day belong), immortalize all the Janeways, and win a copy of Locutus. Those are my goals, and as was stated in the strategy portion of the post, "EVERY decision I make in game is in service to one of these goals." Therefore, both Troi and Riker became expendable, and I decided they were more useful to my goals NOT taking up 2 crew slots and in becoming down payments on a 5* citation.

You keep getting hung up on main cast/if you answered "Yes" pitch, so if you'll allow it, I will amend that line to read: If you answered “Yes” to even one of these questions, it may make sense to keep the crew. I will repeat however that that entire paragraph was more aimed at providing guidance to people, the meat and potatoes of the strategy is to set clearly defined goals, do all the research you can, make decisions in service to your goals, live with the results. My goal was to give people the courage to make the tough choice to help them meet their goals, not get bogged down in an argument where I'm forced to repeatedly defend a few words that were hastily written while I was getting ready for my own birthday party. I have addressed your stated concerns, I would request you either accept that explanation and move on or continue this line of pursuit in private messages, thank you.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    set clearly defined goals, do all the research you can, make decisions in service to your goals, live with the results.

This bit of your strategy is good advice, and almost every word beyond that diluted the message and colored it with some not so good advice. You seem very hung up on getting people to discard their 1/5s for a paltry 550 honor. Legendaries have a very broad application and have changing value week to week.

On average (with no assumed set of desires) you should not just ditch legendaries for 550 honor. The narrower you define your wants the less likely you are going to need that much honor. So if you have a broad set of aims you are going to want most legendaries. If you have a narrow set of aims you are going to need less honor and you should hold on to most legendaries because they might help you advance one of your other goals (in a faction for example, or if there is a new game mechanic). Should space become an issue, then decide whether to ditch a 1/5 and ditch the worst one. If you desperately need to raise 550 honor in 2 minutes sure ditch one then, but all-in-all as a strategy ditching legendaries is for the vast majority of people likely to be a bad idea.

For the record I have ditched legendaries, usually extras, and I have a set of 1/5s already marked for doom if the need arises, so I am not airlock averse. But a good strategy takes account of unknowns, and you never know when a legendary will help you so proactively airlocking them is bad advice.

Well, at least the primary message has hit home, and if this comes across as a plea for everyone to massacre 100% of their 1/5 crew, I apologize, that is not the intention. It is tough to pinpoint precisely when this general discussion started other than to say it has seeds planted in several other long-forgotten threads, but the basic idea started from conversations like this:

PLAYER: I have 280 of 280 crew slots full, I need more crew slots!

ME: How many of those 280 crew you have can you freeze?

PLAYER: Hardly any, most of them are uncompleted 5* crew, and a lot those are 1/5.

ME: Well, how many of those 1/5 crew are actually helping you?

PLAYER: Not many.

ME: OK then, well are you going to ever cite up all of those 1/5 crew?

PLAYER: No, a lot of them aren't good enough to warrant citing.

ME: OK, so then why not just get rid of them and take the Honor?

PLAYER: I don't want to do that, this is a collecting game and I want to keep all my crew cards.

ME: Well then, you need to buy more crew slots.

PLAYER: They are way too expensive!

ME: You have two options, airlock some of those crew you never use and aren't helping you or buy more crew slots.

PLAYER: No, DB will have to give us more crew slots!

ME: Hmm

That is a paraphrase, but thank you @Thurthorad for correctly pointing out the mistake I made in my initial post, and truth be told was part of the initial discussions. This more aggressive approach to airlocking 5* crew is directly tied to crew slots, if you have a surplus of empty crew slots, there is absolutely no harm at all in keeping extra 5* crew around, although in my own defense I did mention that it is up to players to set their own goals and in my own example I referenced my goal of collecting Janeways which has no real purpose for gameplay whatsoever, but I give you a salute for pointing that out, I messed up.

I would like to add though that there have been plenty of times where I acquired a 5* crew and had absolutely no use for it, and in those cases airlocking is the correct course of action. A personal example was the mega event that featured (among other things) crew with the prisoner trait, when the prisoner themed crew packs were available the first pack I opened I hit a Tosk, and I was never going to ever use Tosk as I have a strong dislike of 2 skill legends, so I cashed him in for 550 Honor.
  • Options
    Here are the numbers on cost/benefit, according to @izausome's awesome Crew Cost Finder:

1* 293,910 XP, 1182.5 chronitons, 76870.6 credits, 4.4 days
    2* 293,910 XP, 1730.0 chronitons, 116838.2 credits, 6 days
    3* 293,910 XP, 2866.2 chronitons, 241555.6 credits, 10 days
    4* 293,910 XP, 5980.1 chronitons, 575626.3 credits, 18.3 days
    5* 293,910 XP, 7600.9 chronitons, 734440.6 credits, 22.3 days

[The XP is universal, not an average. I included it because it's a resource expenditure to consider.]