Home The Bridge
Options

The 'Honor Piñata' Philosophy (Formerly Strategy)

124»

Comments

• Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Even people who say it’s a card collecting game, that phrase includes the word game. Isn’t the point of a game to compete and win?

No. The competition part of STT annoys me more than it inspires me, and not every game works this way (see most MMORPGs or as an example for a board game "Andor" which is brilliant).

I would love to see more community challenges where we work together instead of against each other.

But competition as such is on average rather a male than a female thing so our standpoints are not surprising.

So collecting cards IS the game. That sounds like lots of fun! Shouldn’t there then be a trade with your friends aspect?

We had that topic just recently with regards to the Forte cooperation. There are quite some pros and cons about trading with friends vs. trading anonymously via an auction area or a store. I am more in favor of the anonymous options but even trading with friends or fleet would be better than the status quo with no more than 550 honor per legendary.

The honor piñata philosophy does not correspond with my way of game enjoyment and spending but that of course is just me.

Anyway trading would not do a lot to the competitive aspects of the game but I agree with you that competition is a fundamental part of THIS game and this is ok. If it was incredibly annoying to me I would not play STT. It is just something I do not particularly enjoy.

I only wanted to point out that competition is not fundamental to each and every game as such and is not what each and every STT player derives his or her enjoyment from.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working on this thread has reminded me that I still have holes in my voyage team - last night I hit the tricky ENG/DIP combo without the benefit of a 10/10 ship, which was a great reminder that there is still work to be done!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Working on this thread has reminded me that I still have holes in my voyage team - last night I hit the tricky ENG/DIP combo without the benefit of a 10/10 ship, which was a great reminder that there is still work to be done!

What skill pairings do you need most?

• Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I have yet to take a complete inventory, but I have definitely noticed a hole with ENG+DIP, but I'll need to take a more complete inventory to know more precisely. Immortalizing North Star Tucker in 4 days will help a lot here.

MED+COM is another gaping hole I have.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to take a complete inventory, but I have definitely noticed a hole with ENG+DIP, but I'll need to take a more complete inventory to know more precisely. Immortalizing North Star Tucker in 4 days will help a lot here.

That is a tough one. Only three 5*’s I believe. One is in the honor hall for when you get down to only a few left. As you know once you see only a few voyage holes you get really thirsty to fill them

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Dip-Eng the ones I use are Discovery Number One, and Etana as those are their two main skills. Then I throw in some Borg Queen, Conditioned La Forge and then just best engineers like Caretaker and diplomacy people like Guinan in the other slots.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Dip-Eng the ones I use are Discovery Number One, and Etana as those are their two main skills. Then I throw in some Borg Queen, Conditioned La Forge and then just best engineers like Caretaker and diplomacy people like Guinan in the other slots.

Interfaced La Forge is DIP/ENG and makes most of my voyages featuring either of those skills.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a tough one. Only three 5*’s I believe. One is in the honor hall for when you get down to only a few left. As you know once you see only a few voyage holes you get really thirsty to fill them

This seems to be a good place to post my second proper 10+ hour voyage without recalls, in that dreaded MED/COM combination:

3ahtypxfaeuv.png

Although I am certain I got lucky on hazard checks like my previous 10+ hour voyage, it also helps to have Dr. Pollard, Rev Phlox, The Keeper, Warship EMA, DF Paris, and AoS Crusher (all immortal) plus a 4/5* EMA and various other immortal crew to help fill in the other skills.
    AviTrek wrote: »

Interfaced La Forge is DIP/ENG and makes most of my voyages featuring either of those skills.

Yup - my 3/5* Interfaced La Forge is creeping up on my immortalization list to join Etana Jol, BO#1, and Grand Nagus Rom, and my 1/5* NS Tucker isn’t that much farther down the list.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »

Yep, Interfaced LaForge is the better choice for purely dip-eng but I already had my Conditioned LaForge at 2/5 and I needed help with eng-sec voyages too. Of course if you need jury rigger collection crew too then the best choice is Queen Po.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, I do not have Reverend Phlox, nor the ability to acquire Captain Beverly anytime soon, but I do have Dr. Pollard at 2/5. I could I suppose put buying Honor citations on hold build up to 100K and buy Beverly all the while throwing campaign cites on Pollard to get a sort of slow motion 2-for-1?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    For Voyages people often overlook the power of crew that are Primary-Tertiary in the skill combo they need and Secondary-Tertiary in the needed skill combo. Those crew add up and add up fast. Crew like Prince Bashir, EMA, and Delta Flyer Paris. Put a few of those together then put in crew with strong Primary skills in the skills you need and they work together well.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Voyages people often overlook the power of crew that are Primary-Tertiary in the skill combo they need and Secondary-Tertiary in the needed skill combo. Those crew add up and add up fast. Crew like Prince Bashir, EMA, and Delta Flyer Paris. Put a few of those together then put in crew with strong Primary skills in the skills you need and they work together well.

Completely agree with this, especially for rare combos like Med + Com, that is a big reason I immortalized both DF Paris and Warship EMA.

I think your point is very well taken, and great advice for people looking to improve their voyage numbers.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Sometimes it is pretty cool to take extra time to staff a voyage and play around with this concept. For instance there is quite a few crew out there who are MED/DIP/SEC in that order. If they average, let’s say, 720 in the SEC department, after staffing those 6 skills with them you end up with 4320 SEC but you are high on MED/DIP which allows you to tinker more with the other three skills. As most prolly know by now I always go large on a third skill at the expense of the other three in a somewhat similar way. Sometimes it pays off big, sometimes it crashes and burns pretty early but it’s always cool to see those big payoffs so I always do it. Here’s one I posted in the ready room thread.

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgtpcar6zlhp.png
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it is pretty cool to take extra time to staff a voyage and play around with this concept. For instance there is quite a few crew out there who are MED/DIP/SEC in that order. If they average, let’s say, 720 in the SEC department, after staffing those 6 skills with them you end up with 4320 SEC but you are high on MED/DIP which allows you to tinker more with the other three skills. As most prolly know by now I always go large on a third skill at the expense of the other three in a somewhat similar way. Sometimes it pays off big, sometimes it crashes and burns pretty early but it’s always cool to see those big payoffs so I always do it. Here’s one I posted in the ready room thread.

Amen to that - I drew a MED/SEC voyage after cashing in the MED/COM and have both Prisoner Cornwell and Darth Bashir helping free up slots for other crew.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've got BO Number One and haven't FF'd her yet, I highly recommend doing so. She's a fantastic Voyager for me.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've got BO Number One and haven't FF'd her yet, I highly recommend doing so. She's a fantastic Voyager for me.

Most definitely, she is at the top of my wishlist. I pre-scout desirable crew so that I'm prepared for begolds, that is another piece of advice I would give to people looking to improve.
  • Options

This reminds me, I've tracked 35 Voyages' traits. It's admittedly a small sample size so it may be premature to draw strong conclusions. There's been enough consistency, though, that I doubt there's much more variety. (Spreadsheet here.) There are two tabs. One can be edited by anyone in case you want to add or tinker. The other is protected so you can see my original data in case anyone mucks it up.