Home The Bridge

2019 in Review

There were 166 crew added in 2019. Distribution breaks down as such:

791gpew4k07h.png
7h03j5t4lzwn.png

Discovery ended up dominating thanks largely to two mega-events (February's "Empire Reforged" and October's "Mudd Amuck!"). It looked at the beginning like 2019 would be Voyager's year, but then DB throttled back. Still, despite being in fourth place among the series, VOY had a strong showing. Every main cast character received at least one new variant, with the exception of The Doctor. (Though Indulgent Seven is fused with Mobile Doctor, so he technically got a hybrid variant.)

Tied for the most new variants with five apiece were Kirk, Riker, and Spock. Two of Spock's came from Discovery (Fugitive and Science Officer).

There were three 5* combiner Easter eggs:
  • Evolved Janeway (Captain Janeway + Mutated Paris)
  • Indulgent Seven (Indignant Seven + Mobile Doctor)
  • One Zero Zero One (One Zero + Zero One, duh)

There were two non-canon crew added:
  • Assimilated Troi (a Timelines Original)
  • Dr. Katherine Pulaski (from a 1996 DS9 comic)

Most prolific crew:
  • B-4 (1 event, 1 weekly pack, September-December Daily rewards)
  • Defiant Commander Worf (2 events, 1 weekly pack)
  • Lieutenant Chekov (2 events, 1 weekly pack)
  • Profitable Ishka (2 events, 1 weekly pack)
  • Resistance Shakaar (2 events, 1 weekly pack)
  • Section 31 Georgiou (2 events, 1 Campaign)

Picard is the only main cast captain/lead character not to receive at least one new variant. He did, however, feature in two events and one (controversial) Campaign. All players received one copy of Mambo Picard to celebrate Captain Picard Day. Additionally, Robin Hood was serialized throughout the May-August Daily Mission rewards. Lastly, Tommy Gun Dixon could be earned by players who chose a Federation victory in the new Episode 9.

There were no new crew added via the Gauntlet, Honor Hall, or Voyages. One was added via Campaign (Scrooge Data). Also, one was added as a one-time node reward in Episode 10 (Quinn).

The following crew were made available to all players for free, either via inbox or one-time claim in the Time Portal:
  • Seven in Silver (Convergence Day)
  • Phoenix Cochrane (First Contact Day)
  • Mambo Picard (Captain Picard Day)
  • Survivalist Kirk (Free Butter Weekend)
  • Solar Sails Sisko (Star Trek Day)

Other things of note:
1/8 Captain Proton's Ship avatar added to extended "The Bride of Chaotica" Collection rewards
1/15 Borg Faction
1/15 Cadet Challenges become Warp-able
1/15 Episode 9 "Strange Bedfellows" (Borg: Drone Seven of Nine vs. Federation: Tommy Gun Dixon)
1/15 Spot avatar
1/16 "Timelines' Originals" Collection
1/22 Event rewards expanded: Top 1500 to receive Rank 5* reward, top 1000 to receive dilithium.
2/5 "A New Challenger Approaches!" Collection
2/5 Gauntlet previous Jackpot Legendary crew (Locutus of Borg, Bartender Guinan, The Caretaker) recirculated
3/19 Campaign Beta (Durango Troi and Sheriff Worf)
7/10 Episode 10 "Shadow of a Doubt"

For anyone interested in a deep dive, I've set up a Google Spreadsheet.

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another fan of this thread. I've mentioned before my appreciation for the data you collect and present and my appreciation has not diminished. Thanks again for presenting this info for the community.

I do wonder if the lack of new Picard's was just them saving for the inevitable new series. I'm certainly not too concerned about the lack of love he got in 2019.
    Farewell 🖖
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if DB fired (or ever had) their analytics guy because you are so much better.

Thank you for this very interesting report.
    I just noticed the "free crew" section. @Travis S McClain , can you tell us how the 5 free crew compares to previous years? It seems like a lot, but I've only been playing for just under two years.
    Farewell 🖖
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recap @Travis S McClain !
  • Honestly when you look at all the improvements and content over 12 months. The constant "We want more" should probably go away. Which of course it won't.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another fan of this thread. I've mentioned before my appreciation for the data you collect and present and my appreciation has not diminished. Thanks again for presenting this info for the community.

I do wonder if the lack of new Picard's was just them saving for the inevitable new series. I'm certainly not too concerned about the lack of love he got in 2019.

There was Four Lights Picard (5*), No Regrets Picard(5* and likely fusion), and Picard at El-Adrel(3*) in the cryo leak back in October. We haven't seen any of them yet. It certainly seems like they are saving Picards for a Feb Mega to coincide with the new series.
  • Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting and informative post @Travis S McClain thank you!
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the data @Travis S McClain !
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • adonibyte. wrote: »
    Honestly when you look at all the improvements and content over 12 months. The constant "We want more" should probably go away. Which of course it won't.

Improvements? Sure, quite a few. Content? 2 Chapters, each of which takes like 10-20 minutes to complete. They added a lot of new stuff to buy, and some new stuff to win. They added very little new stuff to do.

I get that a lot of people don't want this to be some hardcore in-depth game with hundreds of hours of content, preferring to just keep it casual. I don't mind either way, but it would be nice to at least have another event type or two just to have a bit of variety on the weekends.
  • IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have guessed that the new crew would be so evenly distributed (except for ENT and TAS, of course).

And most of the changes came in January last year. DB has already said that there will be QoL changes sometime soon, so maybe around Convergence Day again. We did get Campaigns as the new "mode" a bit later in the year, but still early on. Wonder what might come this year...
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    This thread is amazing, thank you very much for taking the time to put it together :)

As a fan of Enterprise, it is sad to see how little love it gets in this game :(

It really is obvious. The other series’ are pretty evenly represented but Enterprise is not, that Riker guy admitted when he quit that he had very little love for Enterprise. The only conclusion is others there feel the same way

• ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    adonibyte. wrote: »
    Honestly when you look at all the improvements and content over 12 months. The constant "We want more" should probably go away. Which of course it won't.

It wasn't really over 12 months. There was a burst of updates nearly a year ago and then crickets... And even then it wasn't really the kind of content that drives actual demand for crew. The last significant change in that regard was the introduction of Voyages,
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing analytics as usual! Happy New Year!
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Thanks for the great report Travis!
    I'm a bit disappointed that there where no new 1* crew, and VERY disappointed that M'Ress hasn't gotten a card yet. I just started playing in July and am looking forward to a first full year!
  • JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Dr. Katherine Pulaski (DS9 uniform) is going to be added to the "Timelines Originals" collection, even though she was in a comic and not a "think tank" production of DB. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed the "free crew" section. @Travis S McClain , can you tell us how the 5 free crew compares to previous years? It seems like a lot, but I've only been playing for just under two years.

2019 was generous, though not as generous as 2018. Here are, to the best of my records, all the previous freebies made available to all players. All are 5* except as noted.

12/19 1* Wesley Crusher (new crew slot glitch required dismissing a crew member; we were sent him as a sacrifice)

12/21 Will Scarlett (Happy Holidays 2017)

1/9 Mariachi Q (Convergence Day 2018)
    2/14 Suus Manha Sarek (500th Crew)
    5/20 EV Suit Archer (to help with Archer's first event)
    9/8 Dancing Chekov (Star Trek 52nd Anniversary)
    10/2 Tuxedo Nog (event rank reward schema change)
    12/19 Niners Sisko (Happy Holidays 2018/"Play Ball!")

Also, on 11/13/18 Prince Bashir was offered as an enticement for players with Game of Thrones Ascent accounts. This did, however, require creating a GoTA account.

Not gonna lie, I feel disappointed that the holiday specials this year all cost real cash money and did not include a freebie.

I would have been incredibly disappointed by the lack of 5* crew gift this year. Then we got 100+K in honor from the achievement glitch. If DB had sent a 5* citation instead of a crew I would have been ecstatic. So the way I look at it, we got 2 5* citations.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

There was Four Lights Picard (5*), No Regrets Picard(5* and likely fusion), and Picard at El-Adrel(3*) in the cryo leak back in October. We haven't seen any of them yet. It certainly seems like they are saving Picards for a Feb Mega to coincide with the new series.

Picard's 2019 was actually kinda lively in the first half, but all activity with the character effectively stopped after the SDCC trailer. Robin Hood continued to be serialized in the Daily Rewards, but that had already begun in May.

1/1 "Future Imperfect"/"Older and Wiser" packs include Admiral Picard
    1/15 Episode 10 "Strange Bedfellows" launches; Tommy Gun Dixon is reward for Federation victory
    2/26 "Developer's Choice"/"Staff Favorites" packs include Augment Picard
    3/19 "The Sharp End"/"Ancient Weapons" packs include Musketeer Picard
    5/19 "Fireside Stories" event features Admiral Picard; Enterprise-D Picard in thresholds
    5/23 Star Trek: Picard teaser trailer
    5/28 May Daily Rewards: Robin Hood
    6/4 "Merry Maidens"/"Sherwood Forest" packs include Robin Hood
    6/13 "Picard Days" Campaign features Admiral Picard and Mirror Jean-Luc Picard
    6/16 "Captain Picard Day" All players sent Mambo Picard
    6/28 June Daily Rewards: Robin Hood
    7/4 "The Big Sting 2" features Detective Dixon Hill; Enterprise-D Picard in thresholds
    7/20 Star Trek: Picard SDCC trailer
    7/28 July Daily Rewards: Robin Hood
    8/28 August Daily Rewards: Robin Hood
    10/3 Cryostasis Vault glitch leaks No Regret Picard, Four Lights Picard, and Picard at El-Adrel
    10/5 Star Trek: Picard NYCC trailer
    12/22 Star Trek: Picard NFL trailer
    I hope Dr. Katherine Pulaski (DS9 uniform) is going to be added to the "Timelines Originals" collection, even though she was in a comic and not a "think tank" production of DB. :)

I'd be surprised if that happened. Though perhaps if enough other "expanded universe" crew are added, they might get their own collection. Presently, it would consist of Pulaski and the Mirror TNG crew. Lots of potential for others of interest, though. At the top of my wish list are crew from the DS9 Season 8 concept showcased in What We Left Behind.
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, on 11/13/18 Prince Bashir was offered as an enticement for players with Game of Thrones Ascent accounts. This did, however, require creating a GoTA account.

One copy was provided for all STT players, and another for GoTA players who switched over. STT players who created a GoTA account before it ended could score two copies
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is great, thanks as always Travis for tracking all of these things!

One copy was provided for all STT players, and another for GoTA players who switched over. STT players who created a GoTA account before it ended could score two copies

Ah! Good catch.
  • Thanks Travis! I enjoy reading these.
  • mejoyhmejoyh ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for this! This is awesome :)
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great report Travis!
    I'm a bit disappointed that there where no new 1* crew, and VERY disappointed that M'Ress hasn't gotten a card yet. I just started playing in July and am looking forward to a first full year!

I get why we haven’t had a new 1* crew since Stargazer Picard, and why 2* and 3* crew only get released on occasion - they probably don’t cost any less to create in terms of licensing fees or design/art/programming hours but they do drive a lot less spending than 4* and 5* crew. 2* and 3* crew are at least nominally helpful for new players after their first week or three have passed, 1* crew are just window dressing.

All that being said, I agree 100% that we need Lt. M’Ress in the game. I’d say she’s my #1 or maybe #2 most-wanted TAS crew (right up there with Stavos Keniclius).
    Incidentally, I've gone ahead and created a 2020 version of the above doc. I've added a tab for Arena rewards, which I didn't track for 2019.
    AviTrek wrote: »

2019 was generous, though not as generous as 2018. Here are, to the best of my records, all the previous freebies made available to all players. All are 5* except as noted.

12/19 1* Wesley Crusher (new crew slot glitch required dismissing a crew member; we were sent him as a sacrifice)

12/21 Will Scarlett (Happy Holidays 2017)

1/9 Mariachi Q (Convergence Day 2018)
    2/14 Suus Manha Sarek (500th Crew)
    5/20 EV Suit Archer (to help with Archer's first event)
    9/8 Dancing Chekov (Star Trek 52nd Anniversary)
    10/2 Tuxedo Nog (event rank reward schema change)
    12/19 Niners Sisko (Happy Holidays 2018/"Play Ball!")

Not gonna lie, I feel disappointed that the holiday specials this year all cost real cash money and did not include a freebie.

I would have been incredibly disappointed by the lack of 5* crew gift this year. Then we got 100+K in honor from the achievement glitch. If DB had sent a 5* citation instead of a crew I would have been ecstatic. So the way I look at it, we got 2 5* citations.

I'm kind of with you there. Only exception being that Nog was part of reward restructuring. But that still leaves 2019 short by one since we got one Prince Bashir for free. But that honor/achievement glitch turned gift... That more than makes up for it.

Like Travis, I was a little disappointed that the one big free gift was pretty much an accident. The rest we had to pay for. Maybe Convergence Day will be a bit different. Maybe they'll sprinkle more freebies in with the LTO's.
    Farewell 🖖