Home The Bridge

Inventory update!

Comments

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    so same principal, same process, same result, only now you pay twice?

That's why I hope it's an oversight. Because it would only be twice if you made and used one ration this way. But most of the time, we use multiple rations. Typically 10-30 for me. So more like paying 12 times.

DB, can we please eliminate the cost in credits or bring it down into the hundreds instead of the thousands?

But I mean, it's just a dumb alternative that nobody should ever consider using. If you put single items in there to create replicator rations, you still have to add them in until you reach 100%, click on Replicate, then check the names to see if they're what you really want to get rid of — in other words, exactly like replicating any item has been in the past. And like SilverRose said, there's an additional cost. So there's absolutely no reason to ever use this alternative. The way I see it, either just use the replicator the way we've always used it, or just employ the discard button.

You gave me a lot of my early guidance in this game. And I pretty much agree with you (this time, and nearly always :) ). But I will play devil's advocate since DB put in some effort to help the players.

If I were a VIP 0 player and used my daily replications, then this new tool would be helpful in clearing some inventory without using extra replication allotments. Then I could use the replicator ration tomorrow.

I don't know how VIP 0 players do on credits, but even in my made-up scenario, I doubt they would pay the credits over just discarding the item as you say. But if the credit hurdle were removed or set very low, I could see the tool getting a bit more use.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Why put the time in designing a workaround to a problem with an easy fix. Remove the LIMIT!
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may not be perfect, but I'm very pleased. I have no need for rations. Just being able to toss stuff is great. Thank you, DB.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were a VIP 0 player and used my daily replications, then this new tool would be helpful in clearing some inventory without using extra replication allotments. Then I could use the replicator ration tomorrow.

Ah yes, thank you, that's pretty much the solitary raison d'être I had overlooked in all that.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    Why put the time in designing a workaround to a problem with an easy fix. Remove the LIMIT!

Server space and memory issues and some other technical jargon that I don't remember. ... Point is, the fix isn't actually as easy as that. Which is why I appreciate DB's efforts and want to help them make it better. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why I hope it's an oversight. Because it would only be twice if you made and used one ration this way. But most of the time, we use multiple rations. Typically 10-30 for me. So more like paying 12 times.

DB, can we please eliminate the cost in credits or bring it down into the hundreds instead of the thousands?

But I mean, it's just a dumb alternative that nobody should ever consider using. If you put single items in there to create replicator rations, you still have to add them in until you reach 100%, click on Replicate, then check the names to see if they're what you really want to get rid of — in other words, exactly like replicating any item has been in the past. And like SilverRose said, there's an additional cost. So there's absolutely no reason to ever use this alternative. The way I see it, either just use the replicator the way we've always used it, or just employ the discard button.

You gave me a lot of my early guidance in this game. And I pretty much agree with you (this time, and nearly always :) ). But I will play devil's advocate since DB put in some effort to help the players.

I don't know how VIP 0 players do on credits, but even in my made-up scenario, I doubt they would pay the credits over just discarding the item as you say. But if the credit hurdle were removed or set very low, I could see the tool getting a bit more use.

This is only in the situation where a player used all their replications earlier in the day and then discovered they were over the inventory limit. In all other cases, the player is better dumping these extra items while replicating one of these uses earlier in the day.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play slight devils advocate here. The reaction here reminds me of the crew slot crunch before DB introduced the vault.

Players had the same reaction, "The issue wasn't our FFFE crew, it's storing all those 1/4 and 1/5 crew until we get extra copies. Does DB even play the game? Etc..."

Now I can't imagine playing the game without the vault. Yes the 1/4 and 1/5 issue is still there. Yes I wish DB had a solution for that. But the vault did help despite thinking it would be useless when it was introduced.

So despite all the flaws in the system that everyone is pointing out, maybe we will find some use for the inventory non-fix.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hit discard on 50+ items, i'm not in need of rations.

moving along ...
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

moving along ...

So do you have the option of turning them into rations or discarding them?

• AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭

moving along ...

So do you have the option of turning them into rations or discarding them?

He's saying he chose to discard them because he couldn't be arsed to turn them into useless rations.
    Webberoni wrote: »

There are several other ways that would more directly address the underlying issue though, without even considering increasing/removing the cap.

The easiest would have been to simply add the ability to see the names of items that you only have a single unit of in your inventory, as you can for items you have multiple copies of. That would make it far easier to clear out useless inventory during the replication process, regardless of your VIP level.

Another useful option would be to add another inventory filter for "crew-specific equipment". That way you could see everything in your inventory that is only meant for a certain crew member, again making it easier to identify the useless equipment and actually put it to use as replicator fuel.

Both of these ideas resolve the issue without adding a second credit cost for the step DB has added in the conversion process.

I agree that those are both superior fixes. Maybe we'll get one or both of them next time around. In the meantime, I think it would be easier to fix the credit cost issue. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    If you can't see the names of singles - the fix is a complete failure.

edit - I checked it out and you can see singles in the discard screen. That's good enough for me! Danke.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
    Amphistaff wrote: »
    He's saying he chose to discard them because he couldn't be arsed to turn them into useless rations.

yep

yep

So we have the choice? Turn them into rations for credits or straight throw them away?

• So this will work till we hit 32767 of the rations... then items are lost anyway as the rations won't go higher than.
  • Still better than what we had before, and no cooldown for cadets and arena anymore(once the force upgrade hits) . Thx DB :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep
    So we have the choice? Turn them into rations for credits or straight throw them away?

No, not really.

If you want to turn them into rations (and spend additional credits doing so), you will be using the same dumb method we currently use when replicating anything. It's a matter of putting single items in there without being able to see the names of them first, then once you've filled it up to 100%, you can look at each individual item name, remove the ones you don't want to lose, and start the process again. In other words, pretty much totally useless.

The only way you can eliminate single items from your inventory without having to go through that whole process is by using the discard method. This just throws them away, with no option to turn them into replicator rations.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
    yep

No, not really.

If you want to turn them into rations (and spend additional credits doing so), you will be using the same dumb method we currently use when replicating anything. It's a matter of putting single items in there without being able to see the names of them first, then once you've filled it up to 100%, you can look at each individual item name, remove the ones you don't want to lose, and start the process again. In other words, pretty much totally useless.

The only way you can eliminate single items from your inventory without having to go through that whole process is by using the discard method. This just throws them away, with no option to turn them into replicator rations.

Oh I gotcha. Because you can see the names of those single items now where you can’t in the replicator screen

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me wants to be grumpy because this isn’t really as much help as we were hoping for, but then I remember two things: that comment from someone (Nod? JazzRiker?) that there were parts of the original game code that are somewhat of a mystery to the current dev team, and that DB is splitting resources between maintaining Timelines and building the new Archer game. As long as it has been, maybe this really is the best they could do without making things worse? Of course it would be nice to have a completely rebuilt item inventory interface, where there is a separate area that displays the title of a selected item instead of needing a quantity slider or partially-hidden tooltip-like feature. But baby steps are okay and this is a step in the right direction.
  • Amphistaff wrote: »
    Any changes to the replication screen?

Also what platform are you playing on?

Using steam but dont get excited you need to pay to replicate the items into replicators and costs the same as a 5 star piece of equipment
  • I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

The same programmer(s) who brought us the impeccable "accuracy" of shuttle percentage success how now devised a system that charges you once to make replicator rations and a second time to use said ration.

Double-billing me for replicators, sure sign me RIGHT up for that! </snark>
  • Guys this new replicator thing is very costly ok if you are over run with credits and components otherwise best to just use the items to replicate the part saving credits not the best update quite disappointed actually just another way to burn through resources much needed to start with..
    edited January 2020
    Either there is a lack of communication where the players’ concerns aren’t being correctly relayed to the developers -or- the developers found they couldn’t fix the actual problem, but did this instead. If that’s the case, I hope in the future that they save their time/energy. If I want an oil change, and you give me brake pads, nobody’s going to be happy. I’m unhappy my problem was not fixed, and the developers are unhappy that I’m not satisfied with the work.

To be fair, i'm not sure if there was an overwhelming consensus on what an "inventory fix" should be. But if it was lifting the 1000 item cap completely, that would probably not have been feasible given database limitations and performance concerns.

DB is about 50% of where they needed to be on the QoL improvements.
    • Remove the credits needed to turn items into rations
    • Put the item name in the replicator screen as well

• FetaroFetaro ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Players : We want to be able to convert items to replicator rations, so it is more convenient
    DB : Here it is. If you spend 225k credits, you'll be able to make a gold ration
    Players : Guess we'll use the items without converting them
    DB : Wait no!
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭

So I still have items I need to clear out of my inventory, but you say I used all my replications and did not do that already. Are you sure you have not been smoking something that is becoming legal in bunch of states.