Home The Bridge

Permanent Solution for Starbases?

Hi DB,

Just want to remember you that this is a real issue. We just reached lvl 38 and only have 50.000 holoemitters and a few tritanium left before our starbase is maxed.

Bonus Chrons for next galaxy are thus once more impossible. Will there be a fix before the event starts, or will it take another couple kg weeks?

Comments

• Its a minor annoyance, i know.

But since every 50 person fleet can easily reach the daily target and even a bit more several fleet will reach this point in the couple next weeks.

And most importantly why i post this is the Q&A

"Q14: What can we do with starbase upgrade material after all rooms are complete?
    A14: We pushed out a short-term fix recently to address this issue, and we're working on a long-term way to let you donate those materials for daily rewards. More updates and new buffs will be coming too."

The few chrons are thus less the problem than communication vs actual solution.
  • edited November 2017
    My fleet's starbase has just hit level 35 and we're close the that bottleneck stage of only having holoemitters left which alone don't add up to getting all the rewards (which was the stage we had gotten to before they added level 6 rooms).

What we've been doing recently is calling for a hold on all donations after hitting the final chroniton reward, but as of yesterday I have started calling for a hold after reaching the 30 chron reward as we are really closing in on having nothing but holoemitters left to fill, at which point we'll stop getting any rewards.

We aren't a whale fleet (we have some spenders but they are low key, not whales) and have made it to level 35 by making sure we have 50 active members who are a family and therefore have great teamwork.

It would have made a huge difference if they had actually balanced the resources properly. Why am I sat with 12,000 Nanopolymer, 6,000 Tritanium and 3000 Transparent Aluminium while scrimping and saving for holoemitters? And that's with me sacrificing chron efficiency to focus on ship battles wherever available.

A possible solution: Once all rooms are fully upgraded a 'starbase maintenance' could be added to donate components to, therefore still providing a method to continue claiming the chron rewards.

If they wanted to make it even more dynamic and add even more motivation to donate (eg for whale fleets that don't care about the chrons and use the components as replicator fuel), they could make it that the without daily maintenance donations rooms will slowly become in a state of disrepair and drop level. Could certainly make it interesting.

That's just my two cents

Malone Out
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/

• MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yeah but what if holoemitters become part of the "maintenance" cost? That would be lousy when you're still trying to finish building rooms. Though I guess you could just make them "anything" counts toward a total.
  • Yesterday, my fleet hit the 1,100 target for the first time. Very hard for us to do with the issue of jukeboxes being so hard to come by in quantity. Maybe I need to be more brutal in booting less active members, or just leave, and join a more productive fleet that are as active as I am. That being said, the 50 chrons we usually can't get aren't that big of a deal. Personally, I have enough chrons banked to able to play for days without replenishment that voyages now provide.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Entitlement is worth 100 chrons a day especially when you worked so hard to finish before everyone else knowing there's nothing left to do except complain about a loss of chrons
  • we're working on a long-term way to let you donate those materials

I reckon the bold words are the key.

"Long term" is a subjective phrase. To some, in this context, it means "a lasting solution" but to me it means it'll come one day in the very distant future, like maybe just after we really do invent warp travel!

DB know this is an issue. They know it's annoying. They know the "whale" fleets (those who spend the most?) want a solution. They know they can't add anything to the game readily as it's been so poorly coded.

The simplest solution would be for DB to add another level again (more copy and paste coding over actual design) but even this only delays the inevitable for a short time.

This all said the uber-cynic in me (even cynical at my own statements) does recognise that this question was chosen from those posed (we all know these Q&As are total B&S right?) so perhaps they already have a solution semi-prepared - maybe the starbase designers and coders were some of those who kept their jobs. This is, in my mind, why we didn't get an expedition event in the mega-event but instead more of the far easier to c&p galaxy and hybrid events. It's also the reason T'Kuvma's bonus didn't work properly, and why it couldn't be fixed until a new event started.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Why should the people who empty their cookie jar get it refilled versus those on a diet?
  • edited November 2017

Sorry, the problem is larger than this, especially in terms of galaxy events and building both items and starbases. Those who have worked to get there starbase complete are at the following disadvantages

Individuals:
    3,000 less chronitons per month.
    400 less chronitons for each galaxy event

Fleet:
    150,000 less chronitons per month.
    20,000 less chronitons per galaxy event.

As an individual who doesn’t spend a lot, these add up fast. On a fleet wide level, this equates to a lot less contributions and only magnifies the bottleneck created by holoemitters.

Admiral Timeless Warrior
    LINE ID: Timeless_Warrior
    Packer Backers Fleet
    SttPackerBackers.WordPress.com
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Why should the people who empty their cookie jar get it refilled versus those on a diet?

Because DB explicitly asked us to eat all of the cookies.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will be maxed again by mid week. I sure do miss those free chronitons. They tasty
  • pooky wrote: »
    LOL @ whale fleet complaining about 100 bonus chrons/day.

You don't have to be a whale fleet, just active. The daily goals are easily obtainable by a coordinated fleet that uses a 3rd party chat.

Why should anyone be punished for competing and winning?

When the award for winning is less than the award for participating, then we have bad game design.

There are hundreds of suggestions to fix it. All DB needs to do is pick the worst possible choice that makes the customers cringe and move on.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Why should anyone be punished for competing and winning?
    kq838u7mc6gm.gif

• Yeah, we need 75,000 Holoemitters. But what we get is a grind that means the completion of those final bonuses will be worth the effort.

I am opposed to boosting stats further, also opposed to doing maintenance on the Starbases.

Those leftover starbase components should be converted into chronitons at a rate of 20 to 1.
  • [BL] Q wrote: »
    Just have chrons automatically claimable once the starbase is at maxed. Easiest solution I'm here all week try the fillet mignon

That's actually the best solution so far. Easy to implement as well. Hope DB reads this.
  • They could also just remove the chronitons once the starbase is completed. Use chronitons as motivation to work on the starbase. Once completed, enjoy the benefits of the starbase. If people value the chronitons more, they can take their time building. If people prefer the percentage boosts, they could complete as quickly as possible. I'm not going to turn my nose at 100 chronitons, but I also don't have any expectation that any mechanic added to the game needs to remain in the game indefinitely.

But, as Trista points out, the real problem is the lack of communication (and apparent lack of forethought).
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Shan,

Is there a permanent solution to this coming. With a galaxy event starting, our fleet is again at a 20,000 chroniton disadvantage. Please give us an update.
    Admiral Timeless Warrior
    Packer Backers Fleet
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been brought up but I do not have an update on this yet.
    I will bring it up again.
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Just have chrons automatically claimable once the starbase is at maxed. Easiest solution I'm here all week try the fillet mignon

That's actually the best solution so far. Easy to implement as well. Hope DB reads this.

Having 100 chrons to claim anytime from reset to reset when a starbase is maxed that suits the player and solves three problems

1. Loss of chrons when maxed
    2. European players don't miss out
    3. Allows DB to concentrate on bugs and other features
  • Shan wrote: »

Thanks Shan!

Having 100 chrons to claim anytime from reset to reset when a starbase is maxed that suits the player and solves three problems

Actually, it doesnt solve the many of us caught om the holoemitter anomaly....
    Admiral Timeless Warrior
    Packer Backers Fleet
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »

Thanks Shan!

Actually, it doesnt solve the many of us caught om the holoemitter anomaly....

At least you can see progress towards jumping over the Holo-Wall. My fleet's in that boat as well now but we're making progress, albeit slowly.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just change the bonus to one that is received when each room is upgraded to the next level that's just my 50c though,

I think the rooms should really have a sliding scale to upgrade cost, so that the donations required for each level increase exponentially.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • The point of fleet donations is to try to force people to keep up with the fleet by constant donations, thereby causing fleets to pressure players to play (and spend) more. Capping donations breaks that. Group pressure is a classic freemium tactic.

I've said this before, but for me there's an obvious solution. Rather than uncapped starbase bonuses that leave smaller or newer fleets behind forever, we just need one-off bonuses. Donate to fill a room, everybody gets some honor or something, room resets, repeat. The answer for ongoing, daily input is ongoing daily output, not infinite build-up.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:
    • today we are hoping to do a level increase like we did last time
    • soon we will add new rooms, more details on that later
    • we are still working on a more long term permanent solution
  • Shan wrote: »
    Update:

Thanks for the update, Shan!

Also, regarding the level increase, can we get an in-game mail with 60,000 holoemitters please?
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:

Thanks for the update, Shan!

Also, regarding the level increase, can we get an in-game mail with 60,000 holoemitters please?

...which would still only be enough for 2 of the 3 Holo-rooms if they follow the same progression

>.>
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:

Thank you.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    The level increase is now live.
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Was this a single level increase or multiple levels?

Edited to reduce snarky responses.