Home Make It So!

Rethinking the problem of bots

2»

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'd like to see the proof that there are bots.
    The effort doesn't proof anything. 9M CP are more than feasible on a weekend (in skirmish) - I was idle most of the time and made ~1.5M in the last event (#293).

Your concept actually promotes bot-play.

1200 intel / 750CP = 1.6 Intel / CP
    4600 / 3600 = 1.27 intel/cp (actually better)
    26k / 14400 = 1.8 intel/cp way worse
    100k / 57600 = 1.73 intel/cp 2nd to worst...

next time you might want to check your math - especially when you write such a long post with an intro longer than the point your trying to make...

If you are seriously arguing that bots don’t exist, you have either not played many video games in your life, or you are a bot user yourself, or you are a troll who argues for the sake of arguing.

There is no question that people will find ways to cheat and get an edge in competitive events. This is a universal truth about the human condition.

As things are now, you CANNOT get 1st place in a faction event without spending thousands of dollars in dilithium, or cheating. Prove me wrong.

You are leaving out galaxy events. I could tell you how I can score over 9 million points but as I said before many moons ago, this is poker and I will never reveal my hand. However if someone tracked when I scored these points time wise they could totally see that it is real life doable. A skirmish takes time and insane dedication. A faction takes money and mass points can be gained at your leisure. A galaxy takes planning, strategy, and determination. Just because someone doesn’t have the planning abilities, strategizing skills, and determination as someone else doesn’t automatically make it impossible.

• Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    The effort doesn't proof anything. 9M CP are more than feasible on a weekend (in skirmish) - I was idle most of the time and made ~1.5M in the last event (#293).

next time you might want to check your math - especially when you write such a long post with an intro longer than the point your trying to make...

If you are seriously arguing that bots don’t exist, you have either not played many video games in your life, or you are a bot user yourself, or you are a troll who argues for the sake of arguing.

There is no question that people will find ways to cheat and get an edge in competitive events. This is a universal truth about the human condition.

As things are now, you CANNOT get 1st place in a faction event without spending thousands of dollars in dilithium, or cheating. Prove me wrong.

You are leaving out galaxy events. I could tell you how I can score over 9 million points but as I said before many moons ago, this is poker and I will never reveal my hand. However if someone tracked when I scored these points time wise they could totally see that it is real life doable. A skirmish takes time and insane dedication. A faction takes money and mass points can be gained at your leisure. A galaxy takes planning, strategy, and determination. Just because someone doesn’t have the planning abilities, strategizing skills, and determination as someone else doesn’t automatically make it impossible.

Like you said, I am not talking about galaxy events. Kudos to you for having a good method. *golf clap*

However, faction events are currently “pay $2,000 to win”.

And that, my friend, is a stupid model for retaining and recruiting players. ESPECIALLY when they insult us with “autopilot” offers. Like Thats gonna be the game changer.

Im not a f2p player. But the current trends make me think that its the way to go.

Like you said, I am not talking about galaxy events. Kudos to you for having a good method. *golf clap*

And that, my friend, is a stupid model for retaining and recruiting players. ESPECIALLY when they insult us with “autopilot” offers. Like Thats gonna be the game changer.

Im not a f2p player. But the current trends make me think that its the way to go.

I can’t argue against that. The same person is winning this one that has won them all for the last year or so. I don’t really know what more point there is to prove. We get it, you’re filthy rich

• Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t argue against that. The same person is winning this one that has won them all for the last year or so. I don’t really know what more point there is to prove. We get it, you’re filthy rich

There's one more thing that can be said:
    Thanks for funding the game and all the other events that probably don't generate as much income.
    Farewell 🖖

Thanks for funding the game and all the other events that probably don't generate as much income.

Many of us do

Many of us do

I'm pretty sure that dude spends in a month, or maybe even a week, what I spend in a year. It's got to be a whole other level.
    Farewell 🖖

Many of us do

I'm pretty sure that dude spends in a month, or maybe even a week, what I spend in a year. It's got to be a whole other level.

I’m sure too. Considering after doing this faction after faction he can’t have any boosts, that’s straight dilithium

Many of us do

I’m sure too. Considering after doing this faction after faction he can’t have any boosts, that’s straight dilithium

Yep, thats all im saying. I mean i get it that they are a business and need to make money, but its a bit silly that there is literally no way to win a faction event without spending thousands.

I guess if someone had a thousand shuttle tokens and 4,000 5* time reductions they might have a chance.

Many of us do

Yep, thats all im saying. I mean i get it that they are a business and need to make money, but its a bit silly that there is literally no way to win a faction event without spending thousands.

I guess if someone had a thousand shuttle tokens and 4,000 5* time reductions they might have a chance.

Which makes it even better there are other event types. This gives us peasants a chance to win

Many of us do

Which makes it even better there are other event types. This gives us peasants a chance to win

Thats where we disagree. It should be possible for us “peasants” to win any event. I could stockpile 5* time boosts and shuttle tokens for a year and still not crack the top 15.

Thats a broken model for a competitive game. Imagine if they changed gaming tournaments to give people the chance to buy their rank? Does it really sound fun and exciting to see who can deposit money into a companies bank account the fastest?

Many of us do

Thats where we disagree. It should be possible for us “peasants” to win any event. I could stockpile 5* time boosts and shuttle tokens for a year and still not crack the top 15.

Thats a broken model for a competitive game. Imagine if they changed gaming tournaments to give people the chance to buy their rank? Does it really sound fun and exciting to see who can deposit money into a companies bank account the fastest?

We do disagree. It’s good to have variety. We can focus on what best suits us for victory, which is what I do

Many of us do

I buy the campaign and monthly card. This gives me dilithium to double Thursday cadet missions. It has been 5 months since my last top 15 finish in a full faction event. I am confident that I could have done it again this weekend, but I'm not using my resources on a 2-skill, non-main cast legendary. I have finished in the top 1,500 every event since my top 15 finish. It doesn't take Ebeneezer Scrooge level of stinginess and hoarding. If top 15 is your goal, drop me a PM. I can help you get there on a faction event without spending more than $15/month.

I can't tell you how much it takes to win, though. That operates like an auction. Whatever someone is will to pay is precisely how much it is worth at that given moment in time. Similarly, however much time/effort someone is willing to put into a skirmish or galaxy event is how much that event costs to win at that given moment. It is unrealistic to expect each of the 30,000+ players that participate in events each weekend to have a chance to win. Whoever is willing to put in the most money/time/effort is the person who will win.

Yes, there were problems with bots in the past. I am confident that those days are behind us. People here on the forum have displayed great intelligence and ingenuity in determining when bots are being used and who was using them. I'm pretty sure they continue to track the top 5 closely and maybe to some extent the top 25 of each event. And let me really ya... If anyone knows anything about computers, bots, and programming, it's Trekkies.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did somebody mention bot checks?! Here is EVERY bot check the game threw at me last weekend on my march to 6th place!

59ho283ckyjw.jpg
    fsd8wu12q913.jpg
    89dypfc7wsz7.jpg
    3ugg7wqq7t9m.jpg
    xxvxc5zi74ob.jpg
    jbqnxz4yyg7l.jpg
    gek10pf32179.jpg
    t02d78ku31lf.jpg
    pygdslhrx3s8.jpg
    x6xcp868vm9b.jpg
    wwaj9ocm4noz.jpg
    1bwx0sxfhnrd.jpg
    7uh12xil0vp2.jpg
    jagwg69vd9nh.jpg
    hiw7e6gxhxh4.jpg
    7dfyr7uo5rt1.jpg
    I noticed a lot of Archer. Maybe devs do like Enterprise after all. ;)
    Farewell 🖖
    Yes, top 25 or even maybe possibly 15th is possible in a faction event with months of saving resources, but 1st place costs money to win, plain and simple.

Sorry but its not acceptable to expect players to “win” by paying their way to get there. Its one thing to let people have a slight edge from paying $$, but its another thing entirely to have events that are essentially glorified spending contests.

Skirmish, galaxy, even expedition are all winnable for frugal players who save resources and bide their time. Not so with faction events and thats the joke. Thats also why i think they need to quit it with the “maximum power” and “autopilot” offers which are ripoff’s to begin with, but are also predatory as they really offer no advantage to players. The only way to win faction events is to give as much money as it takes. That is the sad truth and its even more sad that many of you are defending this type of system. You are literally asking for things to get more expensive and less rewarding in this game.
    Yes, top 25 or even maybe possibly 15th is possible in a faction event with months of saving resources, but 1st place costs money to win, plain and simple.

Sorry but its not acceptable to expect players to “win” by paying their way to get there. Its one thing to let people have a slight edge from paying $$, but its another thing entirely to have events that are essentially glorified spending contests.

Skirmish, galaxy, even expedition are all winnable for frugal players who save resources and bide their time. Not so with faction events and thats the joke. Thats also why i think they need to quit it with the “maximum power” and “autopilot” offers which are ripoff’s to begin with, but are also predatory as they really offer no advantage to players. The only way to win faction events is to give as much money as it takes. That is the sad truth and its even more sad that many of you are defending this type of system. You are literally asking for things to get more expensive and less rewarding in this game.

It’s a thing but I don’t dwell on it. I just focus my efforts elsewhere

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

Horse dead? Yes.

Horse kicked? Yes.
  • I'd like to see the proof that there are bots.

I can't even begin to imagine what you think "CP" means. I can't find anything in my numbers remotely resembling what you're talking about.

I meant VP.
    My mistake, sorry.

If you couldn't derive that from context, well lets not go there. Lets just say that tells more about you than it does about me - especially since I took the numbers directly out of YOUR post...
  • edited May 2020

Actually: You are the one who needs to prove that cheaters exist in this game (I thought the last part was implied...) AND pose a problem.
    And yes, maybe there are cheaters. I am not one of them and still do pretty well in events.

Regarding Faction Events: We are not talking about Faction Events!
    We are talking about skirmish, at least I was.

I can tell you that I am not a bot (although a bot would probably say that as well).
    And the troll-like behaviour is yours.

You quote me, insult me and don't even have the decency to argue anything I wrote (like the actual math-error OP made...)
    If I were to change events, and help make bots obsolete, is I'd allow ties.

Put a hard (but reasonable) point cap on the event. Reach that total and you tie for first place. Then anyone below that total would fall in whatever place they fell. That would allow a player to save and plan for an event and come in "1st" place without having to fight against pockets as deep as bank vaults and bots.

That seems pretty reasonable, i think a second option that is similar to this is to add more tier levels for event point acquisition. A 350k event point top tier is a bit of a joke when it takes in excess of 1,000,000 to get the rank 1500 reward in a lot of events.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

Put a hard (but reasonable) point cap on the event. Reach that total and you tie for first place. Then anyone below that total would fall in whatever place they fell. That would allow a player to save and plan for an event and come in "1st" place without having to fight against pockets as deep as bank vaults and bots.

That seems pretty reasonable, i think a second option that is similar to this is to add more tier levels for event point acquisition. A 350k event point top tier is a bit of a joke when it takes in excess of 1,000,000 to get the rank 1500 reward in a lot of events.

Somewhere, @Xoiiku is smiling. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭

And I think they would make a lot more money on the events. A limited number of people compete for the top and spend money to "win". If it was possible for a tie for first, a lot more people would be willing to spend money to reach that point. Right now, it's not worth spending money to try to come in first because you really don't have a chance unless you have unlimited time and money.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no accusations to make, or even any suspicions whatsoever that any of the top ranking players are using bots. I agree it's highly unlikely no one is using them, though my guess is these are likelier players in the top ~500. As has been noted, there's still the matter of having the resources for the bot to use. Top 500 players likely have comparable resources, so a bot would give an edge over someone else limited by having a human body. The rewards are great enough in each of the tiers in that range to be enticing. That's just pure speculation, though.

Bots or not, there is a problem. My point of contention is that any given event always end the same: #1 has such supremacy that #2 is nowhere near them, and #2 in turn is out of reach of #3. The players themselves may change from one week to the next, but those disparities don't. I don't mind that I'm not giving anyone in the top 3 a run for their money. Even if I had pockets that deep, this game wouldn't mean that much to me. But if no one else is making it close, either, that makes events a foregone conclusion, and a foregone conclusion is antithetical to a meaningful competition.
  • If you think about it, anyone using a bot is going to be getting a lot of points continually over a period of time. In server terms, this is called "hammering". To prevent a bot from hammering a site, there are countermeasures that throttle bandwidth and reject requests if they occur too frequently from the same IP.

A human player can certainly go on a tear for a few hours, stacking up mad points, but they can't do it 24/7. By keeping track of activity periods and points earned in that period, if a threshold was reached, the game goes into cooldown mode. For an average user, based on the type of event, there would be a "flow level" that, if exceeded, would start accumulating "overwork" levels. During periods of rest, these levels drop back down. If you exceed the level, based on how quickly you reached overload, you would get a variable cool down period. For example, a player reaching the overload point after 4 hours of play would have less of a cool down period than one reaching it after only 2 hours of play.

It would take a little while to work out these limits, but in the end, a botted session would reach these limits faster, and be forced to pause. But a human player, even playing aggressively, shouldn't hit these limits too often.

What do you think?
    If you think about it, anyone using a bot is going to be getting a lot of points continually over a period of time. In server terms, this is called "hammering". To prevent a bot from hammering a site, there are countermeasures that throttle bandwidth and reject requests if they occur too frequently from the same IP.

A human player can certainly go on a tear for a few hours, stacking up mad points, but they can't do it 24/7. By keeping track of activity periods and points earned in that period, if a threshold was reached, the game goes into cooldown mode. For an average user, based on the type of event, there would be a "flow level" that, if exceeded, would start accumulating "overwork" levels. During periods of rest, these levels drop back down. If you exceed the level, based on how quickly you reached overload, you would get a variable cool down period. For example, a player reaching the overload point after 4 hours of play would have less of a cool down period than one reaching it after only 2 hours of play.

It would take a little while to work out these limits, but in the end, a botted session would reach these limits faster, and be forced to pause. But a human player, even playing aggressively, shouldn't hit these limits too often.

What do you think?

You got it backward. Slow, steady play over a long period is a bit. Humans can play faster than bots. It would be more a matter of tracking small or long rest periods and inconsistent point accumulation, which are signs of human activity. Steady accumulation of VP is the sign of a bot. The advantage of a bot is that it can "play" while you do other things, not that it is faster.

I suspect/hope that the "which one is Data" pop-ups track that steady rhythm of a bot. That's why I don't think bots are as big of a problem as others seem to believe. Also, the player base is good at graphing the data and identifying bot use. The top 25 is tracked most closely, so I doubt that it is a problem at those ranks.
    Farewell 🖖