Home The Bridge
Options

Now that I see Kestra in-game...

I'm even more uncomfortable at children being included in the game. Please stop this.

Comments

• Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm even more uncomfortable at children being included in the game. Please stop this.

I am curious why. Can you elaborate so we can understand your position? She is in the trek show.

And she does perform a useful role in helping Picard. Even if it was a bit like Wesley Crusher.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I haven't seen this discussion about Wesley. so why now. She is an actress taking on a role, for which she's paid. If that isn't the case than we surely have an issue.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can totally understand being uncomfortable with the idea of having a real child (Suspiria’s childlike avatar or Balok’s true form don’t count) go on away missions, man a bridge station during a battle, or run a gauntlet round against a living embodiment of hatred and evil thoughts. And I definitely would not really want to see the kids from Captain Picard Day, Deputy Alexander, or Kadis-kot Naomi Wildman end up as in-game crew...but Kestra is in the same age range as Wesley, Jake, and Nog, so not sure why it’s only a problem now.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can totally understand being uncomfortable with the idea of having a real child (Suspiria’s childlike avatar or Balok’s true form don’t count) go on away missions, man a bridge station during a battle, or run a gauntlet round against a living embodiment of hatred and evil thoughts. And I definitely would not really want to see the kids from Captain Picard Day, Deputy Alexander, or Kadis-kot Naomi Wildman end up as in-game crew...but Kestra is in the same age range as Wesley, Jake, and Nog, so not sure why it’s only a problem now.

It's because she is a she!!!!!

That's sexist.....

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Being uncomfortable with this makes zero sense to me, I'm struggling to understand why all the noise about it... is it another one of those things where people just like to be offended by stuff these days?

For me, it makes me uncomfortable because child soldiers are a very real problem in this world and so using an image of a child to engage in a space battle feels a bit wrong.

As pointed out, she's around the same age as Jake/Nog/Wesley were when they were first introduced, and knowing that lessens it a little bit, but it also feels different for those three because we saw them grow and got to know them as adults.

I can't say I'm offended by it, but it isn't a trend I would like to see continue either.
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Everyone's offended these days. RIP Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's Rice.

Good thing we still still got Minute Rice.....although it takes 12 minutes to cook it... :| and as for the Riker kid....I will take the 600 honor and move on...nothing to see here...
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Calhoun wrote: »
    Yateball wrote: »
    Being uncomfortable with this makes zero sense to me, I'm struggling to understand why all the noise about it... is it another one of those things where people just like to be offended by stuff these days?

Or one of those things where people are automatically dismissive of what others think and feel without knowing their life, experiences, or perspective?

It's hard to understand OP's perspective when they give no details as to its basis.

This. <snip> That was totally unnecessary. ~Shan
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What I find wrong about her is that she is a 4 star character.

All teenagers in this game were 1 or 2 stars until now.

She should be a funny two star character.
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    I'm more uncomfortable with her Hyphenated Last name lol.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is sort of amazing they're still doing that in the future. But at that point, with all the current name hyphenations we have now, they probably should have descendants that have surnames made up of something like 36 ancestors.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »

It is sort of amazing they're still doing that in the future. But at that point, with all the current name hyphenations we have now, they probably should have descendants that have surnames made up of something like 36 ancestors.

This thought occured to me too. Did Tom's and B'Elanna's child have a hyphenated last name? When the child eventually grows up and chooses a mate, do they also have to narrow it down to one family name? Maybe there's some futuristic process for streamlining.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s like Worf son of Mogh? No last name.
  • Options
    Maybe it’s like Worf son of Mogh? No last name.

There's also Chakotay, but most characters do have last names.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    This thought occured to me too. Did Tom's and B'Elanna's child have a hyphenated last name? When the child eventually grows up and chooses a mate, do they also have to narrow it down to one family name? Maybe there's some futuristic process for streamlining.

Or maybe they just do the "couple name" thing that's so popular nowadays. Although "Triker" does admittedly sound a bit silly.

lhhexwq7sy64.gif

Roi?
  • Options
    Everyone's offended these days. RIP Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's Rice.

Products that will still exist but without the racist names and figures. Countless lives lost, destroyed, and damaged by slavery and racism but what bothers you is that you will have to learn new names for a couple grocery items?

Nancy Green. She was the original Aunt Jemima. Born into slavery, rose to be a model on a product label.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There's Link from Legend of Zelda swinging his sword. Aloy from Horizon ZD being taught to track and hunt machine beasts. Ellie from The Last of Us, who carries a rifle on the box art.

As far as children in games go, having Kestra facing an image of, say, Gangster Spock in gauntlet and shaking when they crit is very, very mild comparatively. Now, if you're uncomfortable by all those sorts of games, that's fine. But in terms of where STT including child characters sits in the industry, I imagine the majority of players wouldn't have an issue.

When I think of Naomi Wildman, I don't think of her as an adult in 'Shattered', I think of her playing Kadis-kot with Seven as a kid. Or Alexander saying "Ha! It's my laughing hour. Ha! Ha! The Higher the Fewer." while Worf is trying to get him to eat dinner. Those are the characters I want to see in game.
This discussion has been closed.