Home The Bridge
Options

Offer Wall feedback, and suggestions (title edited ~Shan)

Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in The Bridge
(Originally posted as response to offer wall feedback thread, but I think this needs its own thread as I am completely confident that TP is not considering recruitment, retention and reactivation. The intention of this discussion is for players to think about three key phases of natural gameplay evolution:Early game, Mid/End game, Retirement. Lets think about our own experiences and current status and provide some meaningful feedback to try and encourage some positive changes)

It seems to me that the offer wall was added because recruitment of new players, retention of current players, and reactivation of retired players are all trending badly. Sales revenue is likely down. So lets examine these three “R’s” and provide some feedback.

Recruitment:
i started playing this game 1.5 years ago. Initially, i was overwhelmed by the immortalized 5* crews that my peers had. I couldnt perceive how they were able to build, let alone acquire 5 copies of legendaries. I spent a lot of time and quite a bit of $$ to try and catch up, but the early game was very painful to get through and i seemed lightyears behind people in events.

The early game needs to be sped up SIGNIFICANTLY. Im talking about starting new players with 3x the crew slots and seriously, you need to increase the “max chron cap”. 224 chrons is a JOKE. Make it 2,000. It is plain stupid to have the natural chron replenishment stop at 224 chrons. Fix this NOW, please. Veterans will see no advantage from this cap being increased, as we all have significantly more stockpiled. But in the early game, chrons = advancement. And you need to allow new players to advance FASTER.

Retention of current players:

For starters, Make squad rewards in events juicier to entice more competition. Additionally, recognize that the people in the top 5,000 in any given event are going WAY past the current tier rewards in events. So, add a 450,000 point tier and a 600,000 point tier. Make the rewards be a copy of a random 5* crew and a legendary honorable citation.

Reactivation of retired players:

Make the above changes, send inactive players 50k honor, 1500 dilithium and a random legendary. They either come back or they dont. No skin off your back.

With modest changes like that, you can improve the satisfaction levels of players and enhance your revenue through sheer volume of participation. I would implore you to explore options like the ones above instead of looking at the number of players you have today as though there will never be anymore. Thats where ideas like “offer walls” come from. You need to kill that mentality if it is coming up in your meetings/discussions about how to improve revenue.

The answer is you need recruitment, retention and reactivation. Simple.

Comments

• Options
    Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Originally posted as response to offer wall feedback thread, but I think this needs its own thread as I am completely confident that TP is not considering recruitment, retention and reactivation. The intention of this discussion is for players to think about three key phases of natural gameplay evolution:Early game, Mid/End game, Retirement. Lets think about our own experiences and current status and provide some meaningful feedback to try and encourage some positive changes)

It seems to me that the offer wall was added because recruitment of new players, retention of current players, and reactivation of retired players are all trending badly. Sales revenue is likely down. So lets examine these three “R’s” and provide some feedback.

Recruitment:
    i started playing this game 1.5 years ago. Initially, i was overwhelmed by the immortalized 5* crews that my peers had. I couldnt perceive how they were able to build, let alone acquire 5 copies of legendaries. I spent a lot of time and quite a bit of $$ to try and catch up, but the early game was very painful to get through and i seemed lightyears behind people in events.

The early game needs to be sped up SIGNIFICANTLY. Im talking about starting new players with 3x the crew slots and seriously, you need to increase the “max chron cap”. 224 chrons is a JOKE. Make it 2,000. It is plain stupid to have the natural chron replenishment stop at 224 chrons. Fix this NOW, please. Veterans will see no advantage from this cap being increased, as we all have significantly more stockpiled. But in the early game, chrons = advancement. And you need to allow new players to advance FASTER.

Retention of current players:

For starters, Make squad rewards in events juicier to entice more competition. Additionally, recognize that the people in the top 5,000 in any given event are going WAY past the current tier rewards in events. So, add a 450,000 point tier and a 600,000 point tier. Make the rewards be a copy of a random 5* crew and a legendary honorable citation.

Make the above changes, send inactive players 50k honor, 1500 dilithium and a random legendary. They either come back or they dont. No skin off your back.

With modest changes like that, you can improve the satisfaction levels of players and enhance your revenue through sheer volume of participation. I would implore you to explore options like the ones above instead of looking at the number of players you have today as though there will never be anymore. Thats where ideas like “offer walls” come from. You need to kill that mentality if it is coming up in your meetings/discussions about how to improve revenue.

The answer is you need recruitment, retention and reactivation. Simple.

Great ideas...would you like to take a short survey for some dilithium?

Lol
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭

This was attempted before with "Survivalist Kirk". After a mistake, followed by a backlash, DB said they would never do such a stunt again.

Question becomes: will TP try again?
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    "Raise your game" I believe is the motto...?
  • Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, increase the Captains levels.....the VIP levels....better fleet management....gauntlet changes and crews...etc....

TP, are you listening?

#TPlistentoyourplayers

We agree those are issues that need addressed, but they are not a priority right now....BTW, would you like to donate to the "Save the Fruit Fly Fund" for some dilithium?
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    Redirect LeftRedirect Left ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have basically stopped putting time into this because of the behold system, which allows duplicates like they're going out of fashion. I'm not spending dilithium for duplicates, I am spending it to get new crew. I won't be spending much time, and definitely not more money, on the game until protection against unwanted duplicates is added. A lot of the game feels like the lost Trek Film, Star Trek: The Random Number Generator. The chroniton cap is a ridiculously limiting joke, only outdone by the Harry Potter app and its silly arbitrary item you can run out of for time sake. You're now doing the desperate app thing of "click on these many many adverts or install these many many apps to get free dilithium!", i'm glad that predominantly being a Steam user, emigrating away from the app for most things, i get to avoid that. It isn't a good look at all.

Disrupter Beam failed to DB: Do Better. Is Tilting Point going to give us a similar story? Pay attention, or continue on the course towards what you appear to be tryying to avoid, and retaining players dwindling.
  • Options
    Castell-NeathCastell-Neath ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Be intetesting to dig up the old "DB Do better" thread from a year or so ago and see what has actually been introduced since then. My guess is very little.

As a player since around launch, i admit im bored with many aspects of the game and am on it more out of habit than actual enjoyment. The gauntlet i really do hate...stale,boring...at least battles have sped up but more of the same. Missions....dull. mega events which are sub par....and i have already ranted on this forum about the need to review the premium pulls as they are now pointless and frustrating to many players. I gave less than 50% of cards in the game with no real and fair way to get the older ones which have little to no value.

I was in two minds about posting a thread on "how much life is left in this game" earlier today but passed on it. I admit...im close to walking. This premium campaign will be the last i spend on the game and to be honest....can anyone see this game still going come 2022/23??? Mafia wars did 7 years, i'm thinking Timelines will be the same
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having both a VIP 14(+999) account, and a VIP0 account, I can tell you I very much enjoy the additional challenge of the limitations of the early game and not spending on the lesser account. My max chrons is at 184, but with patience and [finally] better crew for Voyages, I have saved up about 3500, and that's just after spending a ton on the Skirmish Event. I say leave the bottom end alone, and let the new players forge ahead at their own pace, like we all had to.

That's not to say we don't need the other updates, we definitely do. I have been in this game since nearly the beginning, and I will continue to do so, maybe even by adding a third account. I think WRG needs to focus on many of the things brought up in other threads and "Make It So" part of the forum.

Also...offer "walls": there is a reason it is called a wall - you generally don't want to spend the effort to climb over it to get to the rewards, just to have the rewards be a handful of rocks. I won't touch the offer walls, even with my VIP0 account. No way, not ever. Bring back the mid-week Events! (Even with diminished rewards - way better than the wall)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldude wrote: »

This was attempted before with "Survivalist Kirk". After a mistake, followed by a backlash, DB said they would never do such a stunt again.

To be fair, it was a good idea then and I think it is a good idea now - I sell lab equipment for a living and one place to search for new business is in former customers who went in another direction for some reason. They have some familiarity and if there wasn’t a specific negative incident that sent them packing, we might be able to win them back by offering a better price on consumables, or we’ll send them a sample of something new, or whatever.

The problem with the Survivalist Kirk giveaway was that it was done pretty ham-fistedly. You would think that all accounts with zero activity for X number of days would get an email to the last known address alerting the user to some gifts in their in-game mail, and that would be it. However, some people got two Kirks, some got none, and some people who didn’t fit the criteria for inactivity got one anyway. The process got bungled for some reason, likely related to the sheer number of accounts that had to be dealt with...issues with managing large amounts of data also comes up at work sometimes, where customers have tens of thousands of test results over the span of years and the database has errors and such as a result.

If TP has the tools to do it the right way, it costs a little bit of processing time for a potentially large windfall of return business.

All excellent points. Nothing like calling up a former client and giving them that “new” client discount.

Also, DB: Do Butter.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldude wrote: »

To be fair, it was a good idea then and I think it is a good idea now - I sell lab equipment for a living and one place to search for new business is in former customers who went in another direction for some reason. They have some familiarity and if there wasn’t a specific negative incident that sent them packing, we might be able to win them back by offering a better price on consumables, or we’ll send them a sample of something new, or whatever.

The problem with the Survivalist Kirk giveaway was that it was done pretty ham-fistedly. You would think that all accounts with zero activity for X number of days would get an email to the last known address alerting the user to some gifts in their in-game mail, and that would be it. However, some people got two Kirks, some got none, and some people who didn’t fit the criteria for inactivity got one anyway. The process got bungled for some reason, likely related to the sheer number of accounts that had to be dealt with...issues with managing large amounts of data also comes up at work sometimes, where customers have tens of thousands of test results over the span of years and the database has errors and such as a result.

If TP has the tools to do it the right way, it costs a little bit of processing time for a potentially large windfall of return business.

All excellent points. Nothing like calling up a former client and giving them that “new” client discount.

Also, DB: Do Butter.

We’re a high-margin business that rolls those margins back into a lot of R&D and customer support kind of stuff...TP can throw some pixels at people and be no worse for wear, while we’d prefer to not start discounting unless all other means of demonstrating value have been exhausted. The cable company or cell phone provider approach isn’t really our style. :)

Still, the concept of prospecting for new customers amongst the list of lapsed customers applies just about everywhere. People leave for a litany of reasons, and if any issues have been resolved or new features have been added, it’s easier to bring those customers back than trying to convert new ones from scratch.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »
    It's also reflective of misplaced priorities. Dev time is spent implementing something like this, but not fixing well-established issues (eg rare rewards showing up as high drop rates, ads not giving rewards, etc), let alone implementing new content.

I promise I am not challenging you, but can you back up that claim that the development team had to expend time/resources implementing this? I know almost nothing about coding but I've been exposed to a fair amount of networking and it seems to me from my experiences that the only thing anybody involved with the game had to do was code a single button on the dilithium store page that accessed a link to the new offers section. I think everything beyond that was handled by their partner in this venture, that seems to be how these deals work. Is this not a correct assessment?
  • Options
    I am stopping any future transactions such as Monthly Card and Premium Campaigns with this game. I recommend others do the same until we can get clarification on how our data is being used or the option to get a Opt-Out feature for this.

I`l probs stop any payments for monthly card/campaign unless they finally do something good for the game instead of them being a cash grabbing insult its been for months without any progress unless you can count those small QOL things they done. I love the game and im playing it for almost 3 years now but i get fed up with the blatant use of "we dont give a f... just give us all ya money and data" and we give you erm well.... Soon
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am stopping any future transactions such as Monthly Card and Premium Campaigns with this game. I recommend others do the same until we can get clarification on how our data is being used or the option to get a Opt-Out feature for this.

I am doing the same. I know this will sound odd coming from me, but I think a separate thread for an Opt-Out feature should be a new topic on The Bridge, as opposed to a less-viewed sub-forum.

EDIT: Here is the current link address for the Terms of Service, as of 11:48 UTC on 25-06-2020:

https://www.disruptorbeam.com/tos/
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t even run ads to double cadet mission rewards...if they had delayed implementation by a day, I could have had another ten or so premium boost packs today. Oh well.
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    well i guess the determining factor on purchasing this month's campaign had a helping hand. After today I will seize ad rewards as well. I would have seized doing ads today, but unfortunately I used dilithium already to buy an extra round of tickets before I learned the latest developments of the scamwall.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Unnecessary comment removed. ~Shan

Edited to add. What was wrong with the original thread title here? There is already a similar named thread to that which you have renamed this one.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware. The big blue pen of Shan has descended.

Edited to add. What was wrong with the original thread title here? There is already a similar named thread to that which you have renamed this one.

😀
    If Shan ever quits and writes a book (because she could write an awesome one, I've no doubt), she should definitely title it: "The Big Blue Pen of Shan Has Descended."

Make it so, Shan. Make it so. 🖖

Edit: The Big Blue Pen would also make a good name for a band.

I DEMAND to write the foreword, unless you're going to hold me to the strict definition of "a short introduction".
  • Options
    Fi®3wallFi®3wall ✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    😀
    If Shan ever quits and writes a book (because she could write an awesome one, I've no doubt), she should definitely title it: "The Big Blue Pen of Shan Has Descended."

Make it so, Shan. Make it so. 🖖

Edit: The Big Blue Pen would also make a good name for a band.

I DEMAND to write the foreword, unless you're going to hold me to the strict definition of "a short introduction".

I.. I think I will opt for a neuralyzer instead, to be used on me ^^

Hahaha