Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: First Doctrines - 10/15 - ME#2

13»

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do her numbers stack up? It seems to me that she isn't worth much in voyages and less in gauntlet, but it seems her shuttle potential is rather good.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was my assessment too.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Words matter, but context matters more. 600K isn't code for anything in the context of discussing VP in an event.

And the software to parse context in all languages and determine when 600K is or isn't allowed is orders of magnitude more difficult than doing a simple word search of the text. People are already complaining about the resources spent on the event hub rather than their favorite bug. Do you really want those resources dedicated to allowing you to type 600K? Or is there a better use of developers time?

I’d rather risk potential insults than have otherwise commonplace words and phrases be flagged by the filters. Relax the filters, let people communicate, and deal with abuses on a case by case basis. I’m not saying there should be zero filters, but I’m certainly not saying we need to divert resources to a more intelligent filter. Outside of UC, I’ve hardly ever seen anyone go off the rails with language in game chat.

But a case by case basis would probably put a lot of unnecessary workload on CS or whoever would be tasked with reviewing reports. I also don't think that it's even possible, the way things work now, to effectively report other players' messages. You can't see their DBID, you can't report them from their profile (where it allows you to block or mute them) and chat messages disappear very quickly, especially in UC. I think the filters are probably the only reasonable option, other than just letting people write whatever they want. In which case they probably couldn't market this as a game for all age groups - leaving aside the fact that UC would become even more "interesting" and some of the new players might decide to quit after a quick glance at it :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while back someone mentioned that if you did skirmish events for the honor, you could just skip the last fight each round. I was intrigued, because the concept of not wanting the extra VP (and 2000 points a pop, no less) was so far outside my experience. I didn't question that this made sense for some players, I just didn't know what would lead to this making sense.

And now I do!

I want all that sweet sweet honor, but I also don't need T'Pring and I'd feel bad depriving someone else who does want her.

If you finish after 4 battles instead of 5, doesn't that mean you can get 20 percent more stuff and still finish at the same rank? That's what i usually do but maybe this week i'll take your spot in the top 1500 instead o:)
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while back someone mentioned that if you did skirmish events for the honor, you could just skip the last fight each round. I was intrigued, because the concept of not wanting the extra VP (and 2000 points a pop, no less) was so far outside my experience. I didn't question that this made sense for some players, I just didn't know what would lead to this making sense.

And now I do!

I want all that sweet sweet honor, but I also don't need T'Pring and I'd feel bad depriving someone else who does want her.

If you finish after 4 battles instead of 5, doesn't that mean you can get 20 percent more stuff and still finish at the same rank? That's what i usually do but maybe this week i'll take your spot in the top 1500 instead o:)

Instead of thinking in terms of discrete skirmishes, think in terms of Rewards Per Five Battles:

-Doing all five battles in order on Epic with an event crew on board nets you 6000 VP and four bonus rewards per five battles.
    -Abandoning and restarting Epic skirmishes before the final battle nets you 5000 VP and five bonus rewards per five battles.

So you’re trading a slower VP accumulation rate for extra honor, chrons, credits, intel, small amounts of VP, and a slightly higher chance for single premium packs. You can still aim for the same rank but it will take more battles to get there.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the last battle had double VP, you'd only receive about 85% of VP if you skip it. (24k VP in 4 full runs of twenty battles, versus 20 VP in 5 partial runs of twenty battles.)

Unless you're right on the edge . . . yeah, that's probably a good deal. I ended the last full skirmish with 1,850k VP, which got me to rank 250. I imagine if I'd been at 1500k VP I still would have comfortably gotten Dr. Erickson.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you’re trading a slower VP accumulation rate for extra honor, chrons, credits, intel, small amounts of VP, and a slightly higher chance for single premium packs. You can still aim for the same rank but it will take more battles to get there.

The-Nuclear-Wessels.gif
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are skipping the fifth battle you will need more fuel to do more battles which requires more chrons so I believe you will be losing chrons at a faster rate than before.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    If you are skipping the fifth battle you will need more fuel to do more battles which requires more chrons so I believe you will be losing chrons at a faster rate than before.
    Chrons used per unit time in battles and chrons used per VP points received will go up of course, but (chrons used)/honor or (chrons used)/credits, etc remain constant.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever felt so judged by a card before. I'm sorry Mr. Mount, I don't know I did to deserve this!

IKR... when I look at him, I can’t decide if I need a lawyer or a safe word.

(all to say that I love the art, nice job)
  • Options
    Chrons used per unit time in battles and chrons used per VP points received will go up of course, but (chrons used)/honor or (chrons used)/credits, etc remain constant.

Yes, amount of chrons dropping does not change just the amount of chrons needed to obtain fuel to get the same amount of VP if you are skipping the fifth battle. It is an interesting idea though to just do this the whole time because by skipping the fifth battle you will be getting more honor and drop stuff for the same amount of time skirmishing. I may try it as I have no need to compete in this event and just want honor.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Check your daily missions. I’m not getting credit for skirmishing for space battles.
  • Options
    SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    Check your daily missions. I’m not getting credit for skirmishing for space battles.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    My skirms are not counting towards my daily requirement for space battles anymore. Was this an intentional change?
  • Options
    No announcement. We’re thinking it’s an unintentional consequence of fixing temporary achievements so the start of an arena battle counts instead of finishing the battle.
  • Options

Also, if you have a solid crew with good ship, it only takes 1 minute 15 seconds for all 5 battles from the time you hit the "Start Skirmish" button, to the end flash screen VP2000. I would hazard a guess it takes almost as much time to end the skirmish and start a new one than it does to finish the skirmish in the first place (about 12 seconds). It just doesn't seem logical to waste the extra VP to me, when it takes so little effort.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options

Also, if you have a solid crew with good ship, it only takes 1 minute 15 seconds for all 5 battles from the time you hit the "Start Skirmish" button, to the end flash screen VP2000. I would hazard a guess it takes almost as much time to end the skirmish and start a new one than it does to finish the skirmish in the first place (about 12 seconds). It just doesn't seem logical to waste the extra VP to me, when it takes so little effort.

It also takes about the same amount of clicking to abandon a skirmish as just doing the fifth battle. Doesn’t seem worth it.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    As it turns out I'm too lazy to pay attention to what round I'm in, so I'm doing the full. Since I'm not pushing hard, I'm spending far more of my chrons on normal away missions, rather than all ship battles. While I'm not making nearly as much honor, I am stockpiling a ton of items that can't be acquires in battles.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    As originally stated, the point was to allow people who wanted the rank gold for keeps to get it. Though I'm sure the drop in the bucket of 500 honour makes or breaks the next citation. Some people choose to stop short of 1500. Shorting the skirmish allows you to do more runs and get more boxes while still stopping short of 1500 and letting people who want and need the gold walk away with it.

The challenge if you don't understand dropping the last battle is working your self around the idea this is a group game and letting others have something yoi plan to toss in the trash anyway.
  • Options
    I mean, I understand how to drop the last battle. I'm just not generally paying enough attention to do this consistently. But I agree, since I have no interest in the Legendary, I've hovered below 1500. Currently I'm 1615.

Starport
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    So the middle division is pretty fun.

xmu93cjs0x2h.jpg

EDIT

It just gets more ridiculous the longer you play!

5sc9j9zy3cq0.jpg
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    e0a5mkgd6xqz.png

Bold words for the guy known for getting upset that he won a baseball game. :D
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)