Home The Bridge
Options

Bye Bye Straight Drops

Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in The Bridge
Starting on Tuesday, January 12 around noon ET (17:00 UTC), each 4* and 5* crew pulled from a 1-pack Premium Rewards or a 10-pack Premium Rewards will be presented as a behold offering a choice between three crew of the same rarity.

This change will bring more versatility to the Premium Rewards packs, and will be permanent!

Great change! Who doesn't love beholds? I'd also love to see the behold appear in any slot within the pack, like it does in theme and event packs...maybe for the 6th year anniversary? ;)

Comments

• Options
    KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    Thats a good improvement for me, over the last few months ive started to move to less and less chance of getting a good 4* to drop. And it may reduce the number of tier 10 legendries Im building up.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great News! I'm glad to see they're doing something to help address pack dilution.
    Starting on Tuesday, January 12 around noon ET (17:00 UTC), each 4* and 5* crew pulled from a 1-pack Premium Rewards or a 10-pack Premium Rewards will be presented as a behold offering a choice between three crew of the same rarity.

This change will bring more versatility to the Premium Rewards packs, and will be permanent!

Great change! Who doesn't love beholds? I'd also love to see the behold appear in any slot within the pack, like it does in theme and event packs...maybe for the 6th year anniversary? ;)

It does. If you got a random 4* or 5* drop it was always a behold. The only time you didn't get a behold was for the guaranteed 4* drop if your random selection didn't include a 4+*.
  • Options
    Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Great News! I'm glad to see they're doing something to help address pack dilution.

It does. If you got a random 4* or 5* drop it was always a behold. The only time you didn't get a behold was for the guaranteed 4* drop if your random selection didn't include a 4+*.

I think you're mixing up Premium packs and Theme or Event packs. Premium pack beholds always group up at the end of the pack. In theme and event packs, they can drop in any slot. This update may include a change to where they appear in the Premium pack, but without a note about it, I'm guessing that particular behavior will not change.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you're mixing up Premium packs and Theme or Event packs. Premium pack beholds always group up at the end of the pack. In theme and event packs, they can drop in any slot. This update may include a change to where they appear in the Premium pack, but without a note about it, I'm guessing that particular behavior will not change.

Honestly, I don't care where they appear in the pack. I just assume that's some kind of sorting going on meant to make the pack appear "more exciting". If that's all you wanted change, then <shrug>, sure why not, but there are probably more important things to spend effort on.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

You can [rarely] get beholds/beGolds in other slots throughout the standard premium pack, aside from the 1st one or last 3. The 5th and 7th seem to be most common, from packs I've had or seen photos of on the forums.
  • Options
    what about merit pulls? beholds now or still straight drops
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    About time!

Of course, it doesn't solve the dilution problem. It's a first step that's been long overdue. So thanks, TP! :smile:
  • Options
    KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭

Does nt look like it, they basic, event and other non premium pulls are excluded.
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is great news for any player. New or old.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadavar wrote: »

Does nt look like it, they basic, event and other non premium pulls are excluded.

Basic packs already have a behold for 4*/5* drops. But event packs, theme packs, and merit packs all still appear to still be straight drops.
  • Options
    I think this is great news for any player. New or old.

I agree :smile:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does make it marginally easier to try and build duplicate cards (assuming that's someone's thing). The odds just went from 1 in 400 (or whatever we're up to) to 3 in 400 that you might catch the card you need. ;)

I guess this officially answers the riddle about "something players have been asking for since the beginning of the game". As far as I'm concerned, this is a good change. Let's collectively try not to nitpick it too much.

This is good news for my collection. :D
    wuny742hofap.png
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I think this is a great change that many of us have wanted for a long time.
  • Options
    t'filt'fil ✭✭✭
    Welcome change - thanks WRG
    T'fil Vice-Principal - Species Outreach and Xenoarchaeology Vulcan Science Academy

"There is nothing to gain from haste but error." Surak Second Analects
  • Options
    Kadavar wrote: »

Basic packs already have a behold for 4*/5* drops. But event packs, theme packs, and merit packs all still appear to still be straight drops.

Also, while this change is accurately explained, if I am not mistaken, 4*/5* crew pulled from 1-pack Premium Rewards were already always Beholds - so single packs are unaffected by this change, right?
  • Options
    It does make it marginally easier to try and build duplicate cards (assuming that's someone's thing). The odds just went from 1 in 400 (or whatever we're up to) to 3 in 400 that you might catch the card you need. ;)

I guess this officially answers the riddle about "something players have been asking for since the beginning of the game". As far as I'm concerned, this is a good change. Let's collectively try not to nitpick it too much.

Now I would need to revisit this week's Timelines Talks show to verify, but I thought WRG Ben's riddle about something asked for since the beginning of the game was referring to February's game-changing new feature, but I could be wrong - I guess we will find out in a few weeks anyway! :)
  • Options
    @Prime Lorca [10FH], does Michelle Yeoh need to take out a restraining order against you? :D

It's mostly that I just can't send her out the airlock. Mirror Lorca obviously would, but that's just not who I am. :D It really paid off because she's had two events as event crew and several as bonus crew since I started collecting.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALeeRocks wrote: »

Now I would need to revisit this week's Timelines Talks show to verify, but I thought WRG Ben's riddle about something asked for since the beginning of the game was referring to February's game-changing new feature, but I could be wrong - I guess we will find out in a few weeks anyway! :)

In addition to the new Q1 feature, he also teased this as something players have been asking for.

I'm a bit underwhelmed when I compare it what I had dreamed up, but it's still a welcome step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »
    ALeeRocks wrote: »

In addition to the new Q1 feature, he also teased this as something players have been asking for.

I'm a bit underwhelmed when I compare it what I had dreamed up, but it's still a welcome step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

I think it would have paired well with a portal update so we could get some of those SR's that we didn't get in Tuesday packs. I might keep sitting on my packs for that reason.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really happy with this.

Little disappointed it won't apply to merit/common pulls. While SR drops there are quite uncommon, and Legendaries even more so, it would make these rare instances all the more exciting.

But that's a minor nitpick. And if this is a taste of the upcoming Feb feature, I'm certainly looking forward to knowing more!
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport