Home Ready Room
Options

Am I the only one this stupid?!?!?

Has anyone else spent most of their Honor they spend on Dynamic Officer Training 50-packs?

I'm an idgit, right?

Scott

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    Spending Honor on Trainers is probably not the 'wisest' decision you've made in the game ;)

Regarding how to best spend Honor, the priorities for the majority of players are either using up their first 100,000 to get Kahless (since he is a very strong in the Gauntlet, plus also handy now for Voyages), or if they think that is too much for one character, then purchasing the 5* character items (i.e., either Citations for 50,000, or Beholds for 45,000).
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    Spending Honor on Trainers is probably not the 'wisest' decision you've made in the game ;)

Regarding how to best spend Honor, the priorities for the majority of players are either using up their first 100,000 to get Kahless (since he is a very strong in the Gauntlet, plus also handy now for Voyages), or if they think that is too much for one character, then purchasing the 5* character items (i.e., either Citations for 50,000, or Beholds for 45,000).

Now that they are talking about Kahless being replaced soon, I am all "I'm the King of the Idiots!!!!!"

I probably could have gotten him by now, and maybe even a Citation or two for extra Starring.

Scott

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I bought trainers but now my crew is all leveled up I have no use for them. Then I bought replicator rations but with fully equipped crew and Voyages those are not needed either. Citations are what I get now but I did also buy a legendary behold. Not interested in Khaless but I am anxious to see who’s gonna be in there next
  • Options
    People still need trainers?

(I know, I'm out of touch being almost captain level 60)
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I occasionally bought trainers with Honor until the even-failed-shuttles-give-you-trainers thing started to give me a massive surplus of them. I occasionally bought rations until Voyages made that pointless, as well. So, no, you're not stupid... just... maybe a little behind the times? :p

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

I am Leveling like the whole Universe, it seems. 300 will be gone before I know it.

Scott

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I am Leveling like the whole Universe, it seems. 300 will be gone before I know it.

Scott

Thought you wouldn't have that many left after all the airlocks documented in another thread.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I occasionally bought trainers with Honor until the even-failed-shuttles-give-you-trainers thing started to give me a massive surplus of them. I occasionally bought rations until Voyages made that pointless, as well. So, no, you're not stupid... just... maybe a little behind the times? :p

Also opening 7 gauntlet boxes and 5 of them are trainers adds to it. They really should change trainers on Tuesday cadet challenge to something else. Trainers come at us from all angles in the game. How bout the Tuesday challenge gives out merits?

• Options
    I'm level 37, and all my honor gets spent on trainers.
    I realize that may not be the best use of resources, but I borked myself pretty badly near the start, so now I am constantly needing to level crew to make room for new crew. It feels like the main reason I run voyages is the honor and the 1/1 or 1/2 crew I can airlock for the honor.
    I just froze somebody today to make room for 1/3 Koloth, and I have 5 days to make space for a 1/4 Reed. But I also have 2 1/2 chacotays in the queue and two 1/2 kiras. I'd like to make room for them if I can. Which means 3 characters who are lrvel 60 right now need to reach level 100 in 5 days. Which means I need trainers.
    I thought I saw the end of this rat race coming, but then my daily bonus premium pack produced Koloth and the event gave me Reed, and so I am still racing the clock.
    And airlocking a 1/1 odo for the second time even though there are a couple of nodes I'd like him to unload ck, but keeping him long enough to level him means losing rarer people.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    SpyOne wrote: »
    I realize that may not be the best use of resources, but I borked myself pretty badly near the start, so now I am constantly needing to level crew to make room for new crew. It feels like the main reason I run voyages is the honor and the 1/1 or 1/2 crew I can airlock for the honor.
    I just froze somebody today to make room for 1/3 Koloth, and I have 5 days to make space for a 1/4 Reed. But I also have 2 1/2 chacotays in the queue and two 1/2 kiras. I'd like to make room for them if I can. Which means 3 characters who are lrvel 60 right now need to reach level 100 in 5 days. Which means I need trainers.
    I thought I saw the end of this rat race coming, but then my daily bonus premium pack produced Koloth and the event gave me Reed, and so I am still racing the clock.
    And airlocking a 1/1 odo for the second time even though there are a couple of nodes I'd like him to unload ck, but keeping him long enough to level him means losing rarer people.

If you're open to a bit of feedback, I'd suggest that it would be very helpful for you to dump crew like Koloth (who really isn't very useful), whenever you get them. Most 3* crew will pop up again and again (except for Jazz Musician Riker), so you will have many more chances at him. 2* and 1* crew will pop up in Voyages, even the shorter ones, so you'll see Chakotay, Kira and Odo again, too.

I know it's tempting to hang on to any crew member who seems like they *might* be helpful, but with 3's and below, it's just not worth it to keep any but the ones you need to clear both regular and advanced cadet missions, if you don't have the space. My advice is to be brutal. You will have the opportunity to acquire them again.

And Reed, if for whatever reason you won't be able to get him FF during this event, I'd dump him after this weekend, too. Even immortalized, he's just not very impressive, stats-wise, and at 3/4 (or lower), even less so. You can be brutal about airlocking 4* crew (though to a lesser degree than rares, of course), because if your resources (available slots, trainers, chrons, credits) aren't able to accomodate them, you are much better off getting rid of them. The one-offs and those with lower stats (and anyone not FF) should be considered first for spacing. Or, an often-ignored reason for keeping a crew member is if they are a character who *you* particularly like, despite them perhaps not being powerful or a main character.

• Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For relatively new players leveling a lot of common to rare crew there can absolutely be a trainer bottleneck that requires buying them with honor.

While relatively experienced players are getting 5 gold trainers per shuttle, newer captains may only be getting purples or 1-2 golds for some or all factions.

Experienced players also have the ability to just stop leveling common to rare crew which they may be doing for achievements or just to complete them all. Newer players have to continue leveling these trainer intensive (relative to chrons) crew to advance.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd stop opening any packs until you get yourself some room. It'll slow down some of the pressure on your slot crunch.
  • Options
    I've never cashed in Honor for XP, but in fairness, in the early days, I did often spend credits to buy standard pulls just to dismiss the crew members from those pulls in order to pick up some more XP. By time they switched to the Honor exchange system and stopped giving XP for dismissed crew, I wasn't in such a crunch anymore. If I was starting out today, I could see periodically doing it, though thankfully even failed shuttles at least bring back some XP.

One thing to always remember is that each crew member requires the same 293,910 XP, whether they're a 1* you're just trying to immortalize to pad your stats or a 5* who will be the most important member of your entire crew. Ask yourself whether a given crew member is worth 293,910 XP before committing yourself.
  • Options
    I've spent most of my Honor on training mainly because most of my crew is level 50+. I really don't want to throw away all the time invested in getting them to where they are just to airlock them, so I concentrate on one or two to get FF/FE, freeze them & free up a spot or two for this week's event.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I also have 2 1/2 chacotays in the queue and two 1/2 kiras.

This part of what you wrote caught my attention, and I am hoping it is just a misinterpretation on my part, but just in case ...

When you say you have 2 copies of these different 1/2* characters "in the queue", are you saying you are planning on using trainers to level up each copy? For example, were you planning on taking both of your 1/2 Kira's up to Level 100?? I hope it is just a miswording, and you realize you only need to use trainers for one copy, and that you can leave the second copy at Level 1.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    On my F2P account I spend all of my honour on trainers. I only get blue and occasionally a purple trainer from faction missions so I need to buy trainers to level my crew. On my regular account though I've never bought trainers since I can get 20 gold trainers every 3 hours if I want to... so it really depends on where you're at in the game.
  • Options
    SpyOneSpyOne ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Irial wrote: »
    When you say you have 2 copies of these different 1/2* characters "in the queue", are you saying you are planning on using trainers to level up each copy? For example, were you planning on taking both of your 1/2 Kira's up to Level 100?? I hope it is just a miswording, and you realize you only need to use trainers for one copy, and that you can leave the second copy at Level 1.
    In this case by "in the queue" I mean that they aren't in my crew yet, but are on the list of people who will join as soon as I get a spot.
    I do realize that as soon as one copy makes it into my crew I can fuse them.

• Options
    Has anyone else spent most of their Honor they spend on Dynamic Officer Training 50-packs?

I'm an idgit, right?

No, you aren't, or I am too :lol:

But I stopped not long ago and now have Kahless and Stargazer (frozen 4 mins later).
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    If you're open to a bit of feedback, ....
    I am open to advice. I certainly will consider your suggestions. But it might be helpful to realize that following advice meant for someone a bit farther along than I am is how I dug this hole in the first place: in the thread (on the old boards) of "Things I know now that I wish I knew when I started", somebody recommended buying a ten-pack Basic Rewards "whenever you can afford it". Well credits have never been an issue, so I was buying like three a day.
    I know it's tempting to hang on to any crew member who seems like they *might* be helpful, but with 3's and below, it's just not worth it to keep any but the ones you need to clear both regular and advanced cadet missions, if you don't have the space. My advice is to be brutal. You will have the opportunity to acquire them again.
    To be clear, my interest in Odo is strictly that there are some mission nodes that require a Changeling (or an Interrogator) to unlock them, and I need to crit them to unlock the next difficulty level.
    And all the crew I'd want for cadet missions went into the freezer over the past few weeks to make room for rarer crew.

My plan right now is this: any FF 3* with only 2 skills needs to get their butt in the freezer. I have three of those.
    Then any FF 3* who has three skills needs to get above level 90 so I can freeze them whenever I want to. I have six of those.
    That will hopefully get me enough space to occasionally pull somebody useful out of the freezer.

• Options
    I buy one Basic pack a day, both Rewards and boosts. Also spin the Daboo wheel every day as well.I spend Dil on a supply kit, to reduce the costs of missions and increase the rewards.
  • Options
    Hi there, is there anyone who can tell me how to change the crew I selected for the Gauntlet?
  • Options
    phanie42 wrote: »
    Hi there, is there anyone who can tell me how to change the crew I selected for the Gauntlet?

You can only change crew when the next Gauntlet starts; your selected crew is fixed until the current Gauntlet is complete
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Okay, thank you!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    To be clear, my interest in Odo is strictly that there are some mission nodes that require a Changeling (or an Interrogator) to unlock them, and I need to crit them to unlock the next difficulty level.
    And all the crew I'd want for cadet missions went into the freezer over the past few weeks to make room for rarer crew.

Right now, I wouldn't worry about keeping a crew just because they can unlock a node on a mission. (Unless, of course, that mission is part of a cadet challenge that you need to complete.) Heck, I don't even really consider that myself when acquiring new crew -- until I find myself specifically needing a certain mission level cleared for its much-better-drop-rate on a particular item than some other mission I've been using.

I would still tell you to airlock any new 3* (and 2* and 1*) crew who you don't specifically need for the weekend cadet challenges, and who don't happen to be particular favorites of yours otherwise. Right now I have seven 2* crew (for weekday cadet challenges only), and six 3* crew (5 for weekend cadet challenges, 1 for Arena). That's all I need. Since you mentioned the old boards, you've also no doubt seen the threads with advice on which crew are best to keep for those challenges -- so I would say, pare those down in your roster to just the ones you need, and keep them unfrozen (since you will eat up way too many of your merits if you have to unfreeze them weekly).

It's frustrating when you see yourself growing/advancing slowly. But if you try to push things beyond your capabilities, you'll actually slow yourself down even more.

So to keep your active roster from continually getting clogged, one thing that's helpful is to work on leveling one or two crew at a time, and if you aren't using them regularly, freeze them. Another thing is to dump new 3's that you get if they're not one of the key players in weekend cadet challenges; and dump any new 4's that you get if they don't add a star to an existing 4, if they aren't bonus crew for a specific upcoming event, and if they aren't crew that you are particularly enamored with. For example, on the latter point, I was so excited to get the Gorn when he first dropped, I didn't care if it'd be ages before I got another star on him, or leveled him up, or even used him at all for anything -- I just really liked the character, so I kept him. But I have dumped a LOT of 4* crew -- I check their stats on the wiki, I check whether I need their skills in my roster, and if they're not filling a particular need, out they go. No hesitation, no regret.

• Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I did so in the beginning about 2 or 3 times...I knew that sooner or later trainers wouldn't be an issue, but I was considerably slowed down in the beginning, so I thought it was worth it. But I did so only when absolutely necessary.

Now I have more trainers I can spend, so it's unnecessary.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rura Penthe Reed - as someone else said would be garbage - is useful on Captain and Admiral ships because of his stats in the arena. I would not airluck him just yet. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    When I first started I spent honor on a few here and there but not 50. Eventually there is no need ever to do it.
  • Options
    Before they added training programs to shuttle fails, and voyages, I was doing that fairly regularly as well. Now my trainers are ridiculous, and I use them for replicator fuel.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong doing that occasionally in the beginning. The limiting reagent in this game will be chrons v. Trainers v. Shuttle items at any given time. If u have a ton of chrons sitting around but cant lvl anything then getting a 50 pack of gold trainers makes sense. Just don't make it a habit. Everyone says that eventually u have too many trainers but I have honored half the factions and I still run low occasionally.