Home Ready Room
Options

Am I the only one this stupid?!?!?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set my kitchen on fire with a Burrito. You've got a long ways to go 'til you get to my level of stupid.

Ok, off topic but damn, is there some place we can watch you with a mike? I'd pay, and not just the cover, for that.
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Ok, off topic but damn, is there some place we can watch you with a mike? I'd pay, and not just the cover, for that.

This was from 2012, in a previous life. I'm NOT the moderator. I'm the one wearing the blue & white t-shirt, sitting down at the table answering the question. Fast forward to 44 minutes and 49 seconds.

https://youtu.be/tH3Ai9B3Ceg?t=44m49s
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    This was from 2012, in a previous life. I'm NOT the moderator. I'm the one wearing the blue & white t-shirt, sitting down at the table answering the question. Fast forward to 44 minutes and 49 seconds.

You know what? We need the Disruptor Beam developer stream to resume, and we need you to be in it at least once a month.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    At level 37 I am still constantly buying trainers lol
    Jack Mitchell
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    jackson992 wrote: »

If you use your Honor on trainers, down the road when you have too many of them, you'll be wishing you had the Honor instead to acquire something more valuable (i.e., 5* crew) ... patience is important :)
  • Options
    No need to get training with honor. Training over-drops since the shuttle missions always return some. I used a lot as replicator fuel until Voyage came out.

Note that it's worth more getting purple stars to make 4/4 crew out of 3/4 crew rather than upgrading 1/5 to 2/5.
  • Options
    I set my kitchen on fire with a Burrito. You've got a long ways to go 'til you get to my level of stupid.

This needs to be your signature.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irial wrote: »
    jackson992 wrote: »

If you use your Honor on trainers, down the road when you have too many of them, you'll be wishing you had the Honor instead to acquire something more valuable (i.e., 5* crew) ... patience is important :)

I was told this numerous times in the past, in the first few months after Honor was introduced to STT. "Oh, you're gonna be SORRY you spent Honor for trainers!" (Come to think of it, maybe it was you who told me that. ;) )

But as I look back on those decisions right now — sitting, as I am, with tens of thousands of trainers — if I had it to do all over again, I would do the exact same thing. At the time, I needed trainers badly. Granted, it's much easier to get trainers now than it was then (in the days before failed shuttles gave you trainers, and in the days before Voyages). But I see no issue whatsoever with spending some Honor here and there for whatever you happen to be in need of. I'm not advocating spending it on those things willy-nilly, so that you never give it any time to build up, but if you have a crew that needs leveling for an event, and you are out of trainers, go ahead and spend that 1500 Honor on a 50-pack of "Dynamic Officer Training", and don't feel the least bit guilty about doing so, I say.

The thing is, people speak of Honor with a capital "H" like Klingons speak of honor with a small "h": that it's this precious thing and it should always be treated with the utmost regard; but the way I see it, it's just not that rare a thing. Heck, merits are a lot more rare than Honor is. Honor piles up so quickly for me, I'm usually surprised to see that "Oh wow, I have enough for another citation again." (Of course, these days, I have no need to spend it on anything other than citations or Beholds... but between fleet targets, dismissals, and Voyages, it would still build up plenty fast enough if I were making those occasional trainer or ration purchases that I was doing earlier in the year.)

I agree that much of the game is about patience. But it's also knowing which things are truly exiguous and which will refill themselves to decent levels again in a short period of time.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I was told this numerous times in the past, in the first few months after Honor was introduced to STT. "Oh, you're gonna be SORRY you spent Honor for trainers!" (Come to think of it, maybe it was you who told me that. ;) )

But as I look back on those decisions right now — sitting, as I am, with tens of thousands of trainers — if I had it to do all over again, I would do the exact same thing. At the time, I needed trainers badly.

Among the myriad life lessons I learned from baseball is that you play to win today's game, not tomorrow's. Ideally, yes, you want to be able to set yourself up for favorable circumstances in tomorrow's game, but not at the expense of today's game.

Besides, we're probably all going to be consumed in a nuclear holocaust before it will even matter whether you're low on Honor.
  • Options
    Starting new on this game about two weeks ago, I have used honor a ton to train. As a new player I think that's one of the few things you can do, so no, you're not stupid to do it initially.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very early on I did buy trainers for honor a few times. I kept getting the 10x10 deal and being new, I was pulling tons of new crew.

Even thinking back now, I should have just been a bit more patient. The crew you have aren't going anywhere.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are really short on slots (in which case not pulling the 10x10 deal too often would be a good move... if you buy just don't open til youre reading on slots.) or leveling for an event, I don't understand the need to dump honor for trainers even when new.
  • Options
    Stupid? Hardly. Check out Black Pebble! ;)

It's easy to misallocate in this game when you're new, mostly because your needs are so different when you're building your first crew. After a couple or so months, when you're overrun by a bunch of two-rank super rares you need to FF, you'll naturally see the error of your ways...:)

I don't use dilithium for pulls, as a result, honor hunting is basically all I play the game to do. It's probably the one thing I wish would change rather dramatically, since it's crucial to getting a competent team to play with and brutally hard to get for legendary toons.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    With limited crew space and the need to imortalize like crazy for dilithium, I've used a good 10 thousand for trainers. After 3 months, I just went monthly, so now I can be more patient. Also, I am now advanced in crew enough that I get about 30 gold trainers a day. For the first two months, I wasn't even close to that. When you are new, use the honor trainers to level up your cadet crews and get them out of the way.
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »

But as I look back on those decisions right now — sitting, as I am, with tens of thousands of trainers — if I had it to do all over again, I would do the exact same thing. At the time, I needed trainers badly. ....

+1

When you are starting out I see no issue with buying trainers for Honor. Now-a-days you do not need to do so much with all the changes etc. but it can come out very handy every now and then.

Personally, I'd say it is "worse" to buy replicator rations with Honor ... but hey to each their own.
  • Options
    In the first couple months of the game, buying trainers is not the worst use of honor, but once you have a solid crew for voyages and shuttles, you should stop and save for citations.

I've you've spent more than 10k honor on trainers (lifetime) you're probably spending too much there.

But in the first couple months, 6000-7500 honor on trainers will help you get up to speed faster.
  • Options
    Momma always said..."Stupid is as Stupid does" or was is "You can't fix Stupid" or was it just Stupid.