With CMD, DIP (??) and SEC.

Comments

• *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    robownage wrote: »
    8iwsqp4971d5.jpg

Or not. Was there, gone now...and now back again! lol
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    8iwsqp4971d5.jpg

Or not. Was there, gone now...and now back again! lol

....and gone again...

zd7w4amry8e7.png
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Art looks pretty great; those new uniforms look pretty good.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three Pulls. One each of the two 4⭐ Crew I had FF. And a 5⭐ Braxton!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two Raffis in one pack!
    Let’s fly!
    Two Raffis in one pack!

Those multi-drops are neat!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    Two Raffis in one pack!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

I wish, I just meant that there were two Raffis in this pack which is cool. So people trying to get her legendary can still get her super rare.
    Let’s fly!
    Two Raffis in one pack!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

I wish, I just meant that there were two Raffis in this pack which is cool. So people trying to get her legendary can still get her super rare.

Oh. I see. I like the concept. Legendary and SuperRare of each crew in the Pack is cool.

🖖🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿
    Two Raffis in one pack!

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻🖖

Oh. I see. I like the concept. Legendary and SuperRare of each crew in the Pack is cool.

🖖🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿

Yeah so everyone wins.
    Let’s fly!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly the type crew that they release that just bums me out.

I looked in the Portal, saw that there was a new legendary Raffi, liked the artwork and came racing here to see was she any good and.... nope. She's fine, don't get me wrong, but why would I cite except as a fanboy?

Maybe that's good for characters in Tuesday packs, but it's just another thing I feel that WRG/TP is doing so wrong with this game. They don't seem to care about a character game value. Even if I cited Raffi, she starts off so far down the ranks of useful crew that any use I'd get from her would be exceedingly temporary.
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    This is exactly the type crew that they release that just bums me out.

I looked in the Portal, saw that there was a new legendary Raffi, liked the artwork and came racing here to see was she any good and.... nope. She's fine, don't get me wrong, but why would I cite except as a fanboy?

Maybe that's good for characters in Tuesday packs, but it's just another thing I feel that WRG/TP is doing so wrong with this game. They don't seem to care about a character game value. Even if I cited Raffi, she starts off so far down the ranks of useful crew that any use I'd get from her would be exceedingly temporary.

Agreed, such great artwork should have equally great stats. Any new legendary should at the least be top 100 voyager or have some other useful aspect to them. TP doesn’t even do show bonuses anymore so you would be hard pressed for her to ever be bonus crew.
    Let’s fly!
    Is a #3 CMD base and #3 CMD-SEC base pair for shuttles not something useful? If it isn’t... I’m impressed by your rosters.

I’m not playing pack-roulette for her, but I don’t see the issue here.

For what shuttles? Not event shuttles because she won’t have bonus. What do regular non event shuttles matter much for? Is anyone willing to spend thousands of dilithium and four legendary citations for non event shuttles? We just got an excellent 4/5 Burnham that is sec-com for free.
    Let’s fly!
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a part of the issue is that any long time player is going to have Pah-Wraith Keiko (she was in a campaign) and First Officer Burnham, she has been a top Voyager for what 3 years now?

When they don't cycle the best crew everyone picks them up over time so a lot of rosters are going to see little benefit from this new Rafi. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the power creep in this game is way too slow and it's hurting sales and player engagement.
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a part of the issue is that any long time player is going to have Pah-Wraith Keiko (she was in a campaign) and First Officer Burnham, she has been a top Voyager for what 3 years now?

When they don't cycle the best crew everyone picks them up over time so a lot of rosters are going to see little benefit from this new Rafi. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the power creep in this game is way too slow and it's hurting sales and player engagement.

2019 had some SERIOUS creep. So much so that the slow down in ‘20, I think, was a good idea. While I am not tempted to go for Musiker, I am OK with her being a less than stellar card.
  • Cpt_insano_2k1Cpt_insano_2k1 ✭✭✭✭✭

2019 had some SERIOUS creep. So much so that the slow down in ‘20, I think, was a good idea. While I am not tempted to go for Musiker, I am OK with her being a less than stellar card.

What do you mean by SERIOUS creep? Almost all of the top cards from pre 2019 are still top cards. The expected high end utility from a card should be about 2 years, after that it should then fall into the new Rafi category. There needs to be a reason beyond pretty pictures to seek out new cards. Most of the top 10 of everything is still dominated by much older cards. This has two effects, 1) Established rosters are much more powerful than rosters started by new players. Steady consistent power creep gives new players a leg up because they are accessing the new hotness at the same time as existing players, 2) Existing players have no reason to spend any money to maintain their position. That doesn't have to be thought of in PvP terms alone, in PvE terms I am also looking for ways to develop my roster to tackle harder content even if that's just longer voyages at the moment. If I go after a card like Rafi I should be seeing a noticeable improvement in my rosters capabilities.

I feel a lot of these choices being made by DB/WRG are based on a misguided notion of keeping their older legendary cards and thus premium packs 'valuable'. 1, this is futile, Premium Packs are full of mostly junk at this point and every update only makes the problem worse 2. They want to make players believe that purple cards have broader use than they do, if I was starting a new account now, I would airlock anything that wasn't on an obvious road to 4*s and that didn't otherwise give me jollies. At a certain point 4*s become only event relevant regardless.

Anyone who argues that Rafi is good as she is, misses the fact that when she releases she has to be citeable. If she was very good, players would cite her when she was released and then two years down the line she would still be as useful as she is now *if* she was cited. As it is she just gets released as -1 crew slot because she's just not good enough to make the cut right now. This is an important dynamic from a game design perspective. From a collectors perspective whether she's cited makes no difference, but a card is only 'activated' to their full potential if people have an incentive to invest in them.

This is 100% true. All of it. And these forums have repeatedly made this clear to the devs.

And the shocking part is that tp/wrg continue to ignore these facts as though we are a bunch of bratty kids who dont know what we are talking about. I think its safe to say that the average player of stt is older than your average gamer, and at least from what i have seen, they tend to be smarter than average. For some reason wrg/tp seems hell bent to continuously ignore these issues that are constantly brought up, opting to instead invest time and resources into things that make most of us scratch our heads.

Eagerly awaiting todays announcement, and you can be sure that i will be the first one on these forums making a post that says “i got it wrong” if it ends up being amazing. I am making an effort to be more positive these days, so i will give this new feature a 50/50 shot at impressing me.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean by SERIOUS creep? Almost all of the top cards from pre 2019 are still top cards. The expected high end utility from a card should be about 2 years, after that it should then fall into the new Rafi category. There needs to be a reason beyond pretty pictures to seek out new cards. Most of the top 10 of everything is still dominated by much older cards. This has two effects, 1) Established rosters are much more powerful than rosters started by new players. Steady consistent power creep gives new players a leg up because they are accessing the new hotness at the same time as existing players, 2) Existing players have no reason to spend any money to maintain their position. That doesn't have to be thought of in PvP terms alone, in PvE terms I am also looking for ways to develop my roster to tackle harder content even if that's just longer voyages at the moment. If I go after a card like Rafi I should be seeing a noticeable improvement in my rosters capabilities.

I feel a lot of these choices being made by DB/WRG are based on a misguided notion of keeping their older legendary cards and thus premium packs 'valuable'. 1, this is futile, Premium Packs are full of mostly junk at this point and every update only makes the problem worse 2. They want to make players believe that purple cards have broader use than they do, if I was starting a new account now, I would airlock anything that wasn't on an obvious road to 4*s and that didn't otherwise give me jollies. At a certain point 4*s become only event relevant regardless.

Anyone who argues that Rafi is good as she is, misses the fact that when she releases she has to be citeable. If she was very good, players would cite her when she was released and then two years down the line she would still be as useful as she is now *if* she was cited. As it is she just gets released as -1 crew slot because she's just not good enough to make the cut right now. This is an important dynamic from a game design perspective. From a collectors perspective whether she's cited makes no difference, but a card is only 'activated' to their full potential if people have an incentive to invest in them.

I feel the same way. It's nice to release plenty of big bases for those who want them, but that's only one area of the game. Looking at event or giveaway crew from the last year we've had;

29 Top 10 bases (five top 2)

19 Top 60 voyagers (four top 10)

3 Top 60 proficiency crew;
    #43 Klingon K'Ehleyr
    #44 Lothario Q
    #52 Kamin Picard

Were there any must-have arena crew released in the last year?

If I had to guess, people who primarily seek a big base are fine with the level of crew churn, while those more interested in voyages, gauntlet, or arena are seeing a lot of new crew released who are unable to beat out their existing, older options. Granted, balancing power creep is very tricky and they're doing a good enough job that there are people on both sides of this issue, but they're way too reticent for me, personally.

We just had the first 12 hour voyage and I wish they'd capitalize on that excitement instead of printing cards in the ~150 ranks. Or more than one gauntlet card per year, which contributes to wall after wall and a stale meta. If not for the collection expansions giving me something to do, I'd likely just have someone ping me in Discord every 3-4 months when there's a crew I want to grab.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the same way. It's nice to release plenty of big bases for those who want them, but that's only one area of the game. Looking at event or giveaway crew from the last year we've had;

29 Top 10 bases (five top 2)

19 Top 60 voyagers (four top 10)

3 Top 60 proficiency crew;
    #43 Klingon K'Ehleyr
    #44 Lothario Q
    #52 Kamin Picard

Were there any must-have arena crew released in the last year?

If I had to guess, people who primarily seek a big base are fine with the level of crew churn, while those more interested in voyages, gauntlet, or arena are seeing a lot of new crew released who are unable to beat out their existing, older options. Granted, balancing power creep is very tricky and they're doing a good enough job that there are people on both sides of this issue, but they're way too reticent for me, personally.

We just had the first 12 hour voyage and I wish they'd capitalize on that excitement instead of printing cards in the ~150 ranks. Or more than one gauntlet card per year, which contributes to wall after wall and a stale meta. If not for the collection expansions giving me something to do, I'd likely just have someone ping me in Discord every 3-4 months when there's a crew I want to grab.

I’ve got your back on that, should I stay on the server.

@Thurthorad has addressed this eloquently here and elsewhere, but here’s my take:

We want to do new things. This ain’t it.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • I agree with Ben...the desire for more power creep is a curious request.
    I feel this game had runaway power creep for a while. A slowdown is warranted
    I agree with Ben...the desire for more power creep is a curious request.

New cards have to be worth acquiring and citing up otherwise we can just ignore events.
    Let’s fly!
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I agree with Ben...the desire for more power creep is a curious request.

New cards have to be worth acquiring and citing up otherwise we can just ignore events.

Yes, yes we can. If I wanted to play Pokemon, I would, but I don’t.

Phase 1: Get crew
    Phase 2: Do stuff
    Phase 3: ...
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust