Home The Bridge

Event Discussion Thread: Faction/Galaxy Event "God of Thunder" - ME#2 (02/11)

Comments

• W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Event is still not visible in the event hub and the new crew not added
    to the vault.
    If they do it while Skirmishes is running, there might be server hick ups. 😰

Kindle had its 8.0.0 update this morning. I don't know if the second part comes from Amazon or STT, but I also got a notice that while the game is open it locks out Alexa, etc for better gaming. I have hopes for this improvement.

How is this any related to what i posted? Has zero to do with the
    new client, imho.

I was pointing out they seem to be trying to get everything done before the event starts. Kindle is usually the last version to update and there seems to be an attempt to fix the terrible crashing issue it has, possibly on both ends. That would be a good sign that they are trying to make it go smoothly.
    The next event didn't seem to cause much trouble when it appeared last week. I'm not looking for it before tomorrow though. I keep thinking this one appeared around Friday.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on the old client and all I see is the event now not next week’s event. So it is not 8.0.0 related.
    Let’s fly!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Soren was the androgynous being Riker fell for? The one that got "reoriented"? For feeling like a woman?

Yes

I remembered something!

Back in the old days, when Star Trek was not socially sensitive. Genders being forced on people. Dax dating an ex, now that both were female, was "unacceptable". Crusher not minding sexually assaulting Riker, but "uncomfortable" when Odan got a female host.

Way different from modern Trek. Where most people don't even think about one of the strongest relationships on Disco being Paul & Hugh. Love the progress!

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I don't normally tread into socio-political discussions on here, but I always felt that it wasn't Trek that wasn't socially sensitive, but rather Trek dared to delve into issues that society of the day were insensitive to or fully unaccepting of. Trek always seemed to look towards a future that was more inclusive and used a futuristic show to challenge the current societal norms. This goes back to Trek featuring the first on-screen interracial kiss. No?

But, they usually "wimped out" on TNG & DS9, as far as actually coming out and saying "this is wrong". Dax's ex being shamed into denouncing her relationship with Dax. Soren taking the "cure" instead of letting Riker save her. Crusher not having a problem with using a slave body, until that slave body was the same gender. Her thin, sputtery "this is getting too weird with the body switches" excuse was TOO thin and sputtery.....

Just saying......

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻

As I recall, the reason on DS9 in story was that hosted trills weren't supposed to continue relationships with eachother in new hosts. The show chose to make it a same sex relationship probably because they felt it would enhance the idea it was wrong, and this only confused the point. The issue was ensuring the host wasn't taking a back seat in their own life. Tacking on the LGBT window dressing was actually counter productive because it set the moral in most minds as a sexuality issue rather than a power issue. The moral was intended to have more of a connection to parents who use their children to fullfil dreams vicariously through them. We are intended to feel the pain of the sacrifice of the longer lived symbiot relationship, following custom as a rule rather than judging the individual situation.

Soren, as I recall, did not "choose" to undergo treatment. Forced through it, likely to ensure Riker didn't have time to have the federation interfere. Once done didn't feel the same about Riker. This story touches on issues like conversation therapy in the extreme and on the freedom to be different. The interesting point in the current context is that the story implies the exact opposite of what most people seem to take from it. Some how forcing a neutral identity on some one that doesn't want one is seen as positive affirmation or trans representation. This was a story about stripping individuals down to a single shared identity, a parable against society institutionalizing uniformity. Soren didn't choose to give up Riker. Identity and the love for Riker was stolen.

I'm not saying Trek didn't carry baggage, but Trek often told it's stories from a more general perspective. You were not intended to judge them on the window dressing. The studio and producers may not have wanted to take certain risks (JF wanted Soren to be played by a male actor), but the moral lesson was accessible for anyone. And the lesson taken by the current generation is often based entirely on the window dressing rather than the plot. And just because a writer chooses to prevent something doesn't mean that is the point. You are supposed to feel the pain Dax and Riker go through and be motivated to see you don't ignore it when you see it in your own life. It's intended to make you upset and want to change something, not to promote the outcome on screen.

The problem with "Trills leave their old lives behind" is.....

Dax continued a pre-existing relationship with an old friend
    Dax carried out an old blood oath with old friends

It was only a problem when it was an old spouse, and both were female. I didn't write the story. They did.......

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soren was the androgynous being Riker fell for? The one that got "reoriented"? For feeling like a woman?

Yes

I remembered something!

Back in the old days, when Star Trek was not socially sensitive. Genders being forced on people. Dax dating an ex, now that both were female, was "unacceptable". Crusher not minding sexually assaulting Riker, but "uncomfortable" when Odan got a female host.

Way different from modern Trek. Where most people don't even think about one of the strongest relationships on Disco being Paul & Hugh. Love the progress!

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I don't normally tread into socio-political discussions on here, but I always felt that it wasn't Trek that wasn't socially sensitive, but rather Trek dared to delve into issues that society of the day were insensitive to or fully unaccepting of. Trek always seemed to look towards a future that was more inclusive and used a futuristic show to challenge the current societal norms. This goes back to Trek featuring the first on-screen interracial kiss. No?

But, they usually "wimped out" on TNG & DS9, as far as actually coming out and saying "this is wrong". Dax's ex being shamed into denouncing her relationship with Dax. Soren taking the "cure" instead of letting Riker save her. Crusher not having a problem with using a slave body, until that slave body was the same gender. Her thin, sputtery "this is getting too weird with the body switches" excuse was TOO thin and sputtery.....

Just saying......

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻

As I recall, the reason on DS9 in story was that hosted trills weren't supposed to continue relationships with eachother in new hosts. The show chose to make it a same sex relationship probably because they felt it would enhance the idea it was wrong, and this only confused the point. The issue was ensuring the host wasn't taking a back seat in their own life. Tacking on the LGBT window dressing was actually counter productive because it set the moral in most minds as a sexuality issue rather than a power issue. The moral was intended to have more of a connection to parents who use their children to fullfil dreams vicariously through them. We are intended to feel the pain of the sacrifice of the longer lived symbiot relationship, following custom as a rule rather than judging the individual situation.

Soren, as I recall, did not "choose" to undergo treatment. Forced through it, likely to ensure Riker didn't have time to have the federation interfere. Once done didn't feel the same about Riker. This story touches on issues like conversation therapy in the extreme and on the freedom to be different. The interesting point in the current context is that the story implies the exact opposite of what most people seem to take from it. Some how forcing a neutral identity on some one that doesn't want one is seen as positive affirmation or trans representation. This was a story about stripping individuals down to a single shared identity, a parable against society institutionalizing uniformity. Soren didn't choose to give up Riker. Identity and the love for Riker was stolen.

I'm not saying Trek didn't carry baggage, but Trek often told it's stories from a more general perspective. You were not intended to judge them on the window dressing. The studio and producers may not have wanted to take certain risks (JF wanted Soren to be played by a male actor), but the moral lesson was accessible for anyone. And the lesson taken by the current generation is often based entirely on the window dressing rather than the plot. And just because a writer chooses to prevent something doesn't mean that is the point. You are supposed to feel the pain Dax and Riker go through and be motivated to see you don't ignore it when you see it in your own life. It's intended to make you upset and want to change something, not to promote the outcome on screen.

It was only a problem when it was an old spouse, and both were female. I didn't write the story. They did.......

And Ezri hooked up with her ex as well without any comment. So it's not even the spouse that's the problem.
    edited February 2021
    ChaosChild wrote: »

Yes

I remembered something!

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Just saying......

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻

And Ezri hooked up with her ex as well without any comment. So it's not even the spouse that's the problem.

Except when {EEEEW<closedminded reaction of some people} a woman kissed a woman. Making glaring exceptions to their own rules within the writing is bad enough. Doing it to denounce a certain segment of humanity, because one of more person in charge hated the lives of strangers who had no effect on him/them is more of an issue. At least to me.

Sorry for the tangent, but since another example of the sexism issue is related to a character in the Event, it came up.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »

Yes

I remembered something!

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Just saying......

🖖🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏼🖖🏻

Except when {EEEEW<closedminded reaction of some people} a woman kissed a woman. Making glaring exceptions to their own rules within the writing is bad enough. Doing it to denounce a certain segment of humanity, because one of more person in charge hated the lives of strangers who had no effect on him/them is more of an issue. At least to me.

Sorry for the tangent, but since another example of the sexism issue is related to a character in the Event, it came up.

If you are sorry for the tangent, then stop doing that.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realized just how many scoundrels I have. I won't need to thaw many of my purple crew. I also noticed that Pah Wraith Keiko is a scoundrel. I have her at 4/5. I have one citation left. I was planning to use it on a diplomat. I need two more for the collection. (I have Sulu of the Body at 3/4 and could easily vote, but I don't know if he is in the portal and I could get him from this new polestar and constellation thing. Anyone know?) I have Hawaiian Shirt Paris and Festive Lwaxana (in a couple hours) at 4/5. Should I cite Keiko or Paris or L. Troi?
  • @DavideBooks

I have both Paris and Keiko immo, both great choices, I didn’t get this campaign so can’t talk about Lwaxana but I would spend the cite on one of your first two options :smiley:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realized just how many scoundrels I have. I won't need to thaw many of my purple crew. I also noticed that Pah Wraith Keiko is a scoundrel. I have her at 4/5. I have one citation left. I was planning to use it on a diplomat. I need two more for the collection. (I have Sulu of the Body at 3/4 and could easily vote, but I don't know if he is in the portal and I could get him from this new polestar and constellation thing. Anyone know?) I have Hawaiian Shirt Paris and Festive Lwaxana (in a couple hours) at 4/5. Should I cite Keiko or Paris or L. Troi?

I’d go Keiko. She is on every single shuttle for me, so she’ll be super useful w a bonus in the faction events.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1546 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭

Sulu is definitely in the portal, I airlocked a copy of him a couple of weeks ago.
  • Could we get a list of the Faction(s) involved in the Event Hub Preview?
  • Federation
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d go Paris, he’s not in the portal.
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    What's the best way to start shuttles with a single faction then? Assume you can't open as many shuttles as the 2/3 faction events?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    What's the best way to start shuttles with a single faction then? Assume you can't open as many shuttles as the 2/3 faction events?

The same. You just open fewer shuttles and won't get as much of a kickstart
    Arnie wrote: »

You can do fifteen Shuttles. I open the fifteen one minute ones. Do them four at a time. Then open fifteen. Send them all, with 3⭐ Speed Ups. If I have Rental Tokens and 3⭐ Speed Ups left, I do that again. Then I do four Shuttles at a time with 5⭐/4⭐/3⭐ Speed Ups, depending on if I have four of the same ⭐ Level. After that, I send 4 Shuttles, with the No Time Added Doublers, if I have them and success is 90%+. In a Hybrid like this I can get deep into Threshold before Galaxy starts. In a full Faction, I can usually get top 1500 for the Legendary, if I have the right amount of Boosts and Rentals on hand.

🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖🏽🖖🏾🖖🏿🖖
  • Careful Scott, they may ban you for using THEIR bug.
  • Technically speaking both Shuttle Tanking & Faction jumpstart are exploits - an all of who use them should be banned - those processes break the ToS very clearly

I use them all the time - and am already banned - can you add 3 days for each infraction of the Shuttle tanking (3 factions) and Jump start (every faction & faction hybrid since March last year) to my account
  • I've been doing the jumpstart for four years so please ban me for 624 days. 3x52x4 in addition to the three I have.

Thank you.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    As noted many times, the forum is a small slice of the playerbase. Judging from the posts over the past few days and scaling up, one might guess that hundreds of accounts could have been banned. But, judging only from my vp/rank so far, the event seems to be playing out the same as always. It could be a function of my rank level (800-ish) in that players in this range tend to be boringly consistent in their shuttle activity. Or it could be that fewer accounts were impacted than the forum response would suggest. I’m not evaluating the leaderboard where I’d guess the relative impact may have been greater.

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d be curious to find out the actual number of banned accounts. (And to re-iterate, in case this post creates doubt - I was not a fan of the ban.)
  • I was doing better than expected until accounts were released now back to about normal
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing worse than usual because I felt it really unfair of me to take advantage of other's misfortunes (those who were banned) and stopped sending shuttles in solidarity.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    As noted many times, the forum is a small slice of the playerbase. Judging from the posts over the past few days and scaling up, one might guess that hundreds of accounts could have been banned. But, judging only from my vp/rank so far, the event seems to be playing out the same as always. It could be a function of my rank level (800-ish) in that players in this range tend to be boringly consistent in their shuttle activity. Or it could be that fewer accounts were impacted than the forum response would suggest. I’m not evaluating the leaderboard where I’d guess the relative impact may have been greater.

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d be curious to find out the actual number of banned accounts. (And to re-iterate, in case this post creates doubt - I was not a fan of the ban.)

In my fleet noone mentioned being banned.

I think you are right that the forum suggested more banned accounts than there actually were. Especially because many people who usually do not write here came around to rightfully vent.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that too Bylo. She would be a very tough build for newer accounts. I replicated a few items to preserve some of my holoprogram inventory - could have built her w/o replications but then the next card would have gotten the dreaded blue triangle! Looks like I'll be doing a multi-day stretch of Sec 31 shuttles starting Sunday morning.

Our fleet had 2 banned that I'm aware of. One is back, and one quit (LLAP).
    Someone got the list quickly at hand of which Cadets drop Holoprograms?

Might help some people out.

🥌🦞
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    My alt ran out of orchids and had to replicate the last few items.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

🥌🦞

-Talarian Coup (A Certain Formality #3) on Normal
    -Bravery in Action (Ex Astris, Scientia #1) on Elite
    -Talk Less, Smile More (Ex Astris Scientia #3) on Elite

I wouldn’t recommend Talarian Coup on Thursdays, as being on Normal it would nerf your ability to get shuttle boosts, but if you aren’t hurting for credits it’s a good one for Saturday. I would recommend Talk Less, Smile More for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday because it has a better drop rate than Bravery in Action and drops 1* ID Codes.
    edited February 2021

🥌🦞

-Talarian Coup (A Certain Formality #3) on Normal
    -Bravery in Action (Ex Astris, Scientia #1) on Elite
    -Talk Less, Smile More (Ex Astris Scientia #3) on Elite

I wouldn’t recommend Talarian Coup on Thursdays, as being on Normal it would nerf your ability to get shuttle boosts, but if you aren’t hurting for credits it’s a good one for Saturday. I would recommend Talk Less, Smile More for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday because it has a better drop rate than Bravery in Action and drops 1* ID Codes.

Cool! Thanx!

🥌🦞

EDIT: Other stuff she eats.

Orchids:

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Orchids

Spring Wine:

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Spring_Wine

Orb Experience:

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Orb_Experience

🥌🦞