Home The Bridge
Options

DB is right about Fast as Light

DB is right in the decisions and changes it made for the Fast as Light event. They're right to make it a galaxy, they're right to add a day, and they're at least not wrong to increase the community rewards points requirements.

They're right to make it a galaxy: In the US, where, I have no doubt, the vast majority of their player base lives, Thanksgiving is happening. Many players will be busy and not as interested in getting on. If they made it a faction event, this large portion would have no hope of keeping up or earning anything, and most may not bother to participate at all. With a galaxy, players can do more at their leisure instead of every three hours. For those who still can't get on, the community reward also allows people to get something out of it without really doing anything.

They're right to add a day: Since it's a holiday, the extra day allows more people to participate, particularly towards getting the community reward. If I were missing a day and a half of a normal length event, I would never bother trying. With the extra day, I still have a chance of competing.

Higher Community Rewards Requirements: Top reward went from 1 billion to 1.375 billion. Last galaxy, we reached the top reward in around 12 hours. Even with the holiday and higher requirement, there's no way it will take 24 hours. The higher requirement is basically meaningless, except that you might have to wait until the morning to pull your pack.

So what is the issue here? Why are people exploding all over the forum? Is it really because of this:

"As this event has a longer duration, the points needed for each Community Rewards have been increased. This will allow for more players to participate and have a chance at the those rewards."

Poorly worded, but the meaning is obvious. The longer duration allows more participation, not the point increase. Bad wording in hardly new in the game, and people were freaking out here before that.

The real issue is why certain people don't like Galaxy Events. Every event, one thousand people get to reach the 5* reward; the only difference is who those one thousand are. There's a set of players here who have spent to reach a certain level, and since they're there they believe they should always be. Faction events are easy because if you have four shuttles, are on all the time anyway, and have a backstock of boosts, reaching the top 1000 requires almost no additional effort. In Galaxy, other people can manage resources, spend more time, accept higher opportunity costs to place higher than they otherwise do. Even a fairly new player can just decide to save up resources and jump up.

The real issue here is entitled whiners who think if they personally don't win all the time, everything's rigged against them. They cry "greedy" and throw a fit because now they themselves decide to pay out to get the card of the week. The reality is, other players aren't suddenly spending more cash on galaxies to place higher; anyone spending just buys packs. It's only these people who decided winning was their right that are paying more; people who thinks being loudest on the forum makes their voice most important.

It's good for the game that different people can compete and win week-to-week, and the more people getting involved, the better for the game's development. Galaxy is much better for player balance and competitiveness than Faction for just that reason. If you want to win, commit more in-game resources than other people. It becomes about trade-offs and opportunity costs, strategy and competition, not just whales getting their candy for the week and following their endless routine of spend/win/level/brag without hiccup.

This game has SO many problems, from unending bugs to bad UI to flawed basic game designs to constant unnecessary RNG rolls. Guaranteeing one whiny cabal of players always gets their toys no matter what doesn't need to be one of them. The quickest way to drive the game into the ground is to let the inmates run the asylum by giving in to all these complaints. If they do make any extra money off this event, then aside from keeping themselves afloat enough to not fire the rest of their team, I hope they give Shan a big ole' bonus for having the patience to deal with all of these crass insults.

If you don't like how Galaxy events work, don't play them. If it's not worth your time, don't play them. If you want your chrons for something else, don't play them. But the game isn't broken and the developers aren't 'greedy' just because you personally can't fart your way to Honey Bare.

Now excuse me, I have a certain bespectacled scientist to go win.

Comments

• Options
    Also take note that the needed vp for commnity rewards where upped with 1/3 of the original points.
    Seeing in playtime we now have a phase1 which is 3/2 of the normal phase1, DB could just as well have applied the same rule to the vp points, making the top community reward 1.5 billion.

1.375 billion is very reasonable.
  • Options
    RNGeverythingRNGeverything ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    My problem is, I have barely seen people request a longer event. Maybe one or two people. Yet here we are. Another extended event over a holiday. Why not give your entire staff the extended weekend off, and not even do an event. Just give us some event packs on a black Friday deal to bring in the money while they are off. Maybe they will come back the next week happier, and ready to work. Maybe some things will get fixed. Like the achievements box that constantly has a 1 beside it. Or the voyages alerts that come up on my phone saying my voyage is about to die, when in reality it died 6 hours ago. Or (insert problem that has been present for months upon months). Maybe they will make a way to sort the vault, or make a scanner that's worth being up front and center on the dashboard.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    Why are do many people saying galaxy work against players developing Crew? As i see it:

GALAXY: Threshold can be leveled used for Event and frozen for the end. + guaranteed Minimum of 1 4*.

FACTION: Threshold is dead weight that you should level to perform better, but which will be stuck in your crew for an Eternity, or which you will have to airlock at some point and loose the invested resourced.
  • Options
    Why are do many people saying galaxy work against players developing Crew? As i see it:

GALAXY: Threshold can be leveled used for Event and frozen for the end. + guaranteed Minimum of 1 4*.

FACTION: Threshold is dead weight that you should level to perform better, but which will be stuck in your crew for an Eternity, or which you will have to airlock at some point and loose the invested resourced.

The issue of working against players developing crew is not post-event, it's during the event. During the event, you have to make a choice: spend chronitons leveling your bonus crew for a higher chance of bonus vp, or spend chronitons on actual vp and a lower chance at bonus vp.
  • Options
    I disagree. If you do not event the crew ranking high will cost much more chrons. Rare rewards are the key. Also you got free items + replicator --> costs are not that high for Event Threshold
  • Options
    Looks like a great event. I'm ready!
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. If you do not event the crew ranking high will cost much more chrons. Rare rewards are the key. Also you got free items + replicator --> costs are not that high for Event Threshold

Yes you develop that ONE crew member, maybe. During this past faction I finished maxing several.
  • Options
    You concede that their statement was poorly worded. I'm afraid that I think clarity of language is very important: especially when the spending of money is involved. You may recall that DB only put 'information' tags on purchasable packs after a great deal of nagging from the playerbase: much of which followed the proliferation of packs which were unhelpfully or even misleadingly worded.
  • Options
    I guess comes down to the point i made in another thread: individual playstyle favors different design decisions by DB.

I prefer galaxy over faction but i see your pain points.

I think variation between event types is important as well, and they miss a proper third event type.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also take note that the needed vp for commnity rewards where upped with 1/3 of the original points.
    Seeing in playtime we now have a phase1 which is 3/2 of the normal phase1, DB could just as well have applied the same rule to the vp points, making the top community reward 1.5 billion.

1.375 billion is very reasonable.

I don't mind in the increase in threshold but they could've made it more interesting. Like crank up the top threshold to 2 billion or more and then give away two packs.

Also increase the solo threshold rewards.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Yeah, I did get rather worked up.

The only reason I bring this up is because of the level of complaining that had erupted. When a bunch of people start screaming something, if you're not careful and argue back, the cacophony can quickly become "the truth", regardless of how ridiculous it is. If these voices are left unchecked, forums become a place where players feel ignored and developers and customer service people feel abused.

Personally, I understand people who don't like Galaxy. It's a pain. It's time consuming. It **tsk tsk** away other effort, both in-game and in-life. But if I decide to do go for it, I do it understanding what I'm spending and what I'm getting. I get tired of the mentality of "If it's harder for me to get what I want, it's unfair and suddenly everything's wrong."

I'm not about hating the whales; they keep the lights on. It's the entitlement and derisiveness of a few I can't stand. Communication is only an issue if they don't like what they hear. RNG is only an issue if they don't get good rolls. Event structure is only an issue if they don't rank as high. Then everything's "greed" this and "rigged" that.

If we use the forum to explain our general concerns and even say what aspects of the game make our experience less enjoyable, we can help the developers make improvements. If we give it over to abusive rhetoric anytime a minority of players don't get everything on their Christmas list, the game will end up suffering.
  • Options
    You can always play to get 4 x 4* galaxy cards, airlock them for honor and put another star on your faction event character. For players who have less chronitons to spend, this can be a way of levelling and fully fusing crew without a massive spend. Just a thought.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Yes you develop that ONE crew member, maybe. During this past faction I finished maxing several.

...and during expeditions, you can get XP on EVERY character you use... :#
  • Options
    They really need to add some more solo threshold rewards to Galaxy's. Even if it's just merits at 250k as per Faction, or the 7x10 basic packs at a high level like they used to have in expeditions. I'm only a few points away from the last threshold with 4 days to go (I got lots of chrons from a voyage but haven't spent on the event at all...)
  • Options
    NS111111 wrote: »
    They really need to add some more solo threshold rewards to Galaxy's. Even if it's just merits at 250k as per Faction, or the 7x10 basic packs at a high level like they used to have in expeditions. I'm only a few points away from the last threshold with 4 days to go (I got lots of chrons from a voyage but haven't spent on the event at all...)

I agree.

I'm in a similar position - weirdly, this is the first Galaxy event I've "completed" so fast. I had finished all the threshold rewards four hours after the event started! I was 3/4 of the way through before I even realised it had happened!

(I was sitting on over 850 chrons at the start from a couple of nice long voyages, then 100 free chrons appeared... Started winning chrons in Gauntlet... More chrons in the threshold rewards... Oh, and I had a supply kit running - THAT makes a big difference. Then I went up a Captain Level - even MORE chrons!!!)

Anyhoo... I finished the last threshold level and the third star for "Korean Dictator" BK Kim and waited for the community rewards with 7 chrons left.

It certainly was Fast As Light. But now I can sit back for the next few days and finish leveling Kim...

More rewards higher up would have been very welcome indeed - especially as there's this extra day for folks to push their scores higher...

A nice Legendary Behold would have been nice at 180K...
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing we had an extra 24 hours to reach that increased target of 1,375,000,000 community Victory Points, because otherwise we might not have made it with more than 50 hours to spare ... :p
  • Options
    Personally I don't like galaxy events because my personal priority is to level up my characters. The chron use in an galaxy event is contrary to my personal enjoyment of the game but I don't mind one now and then. Make it 5 days though, count me out. Doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it.

Don't mind the change in rewards, but just increasing the points only isn't enough. Add some community rewards for stupid (challenging) amounts and make the solo rewards % based or at least increase them.

And on that note, please add more event types. Galaxy and faction only gets boring you know.

I hate expedition events with a passion but I'm ready for one now.
  • Options
    And the community rewards were done in less than 24 hours.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The reason nobody likes galaxy events is because it's a chroniton black hole and to get past rank 1,000 one normally needs about 9,000 to 10,000 chronitons which could be used to fe a whole lot of crew but are instead wasted on getting some 4 star crew, a few measly 1x pulls, and one...not two not three but ONE!!! legendary!! In my opinion it would be better to level crew with those chrons and spend the money one would use to buy extra chrons, on dilithium getting actual packs!! Not comming just shy of getting one legendary but getting beat by a few hundred points (has happened to me...spending all those chrons to not even get what I wanted in ranked rewards). So now...if I like the threshold reward I'll spend all the chrons to get him/ her and no further...id rather spend the money on a sure thing (event packs) than on an unsure thing (hoping I can hit rank 1000). And as for newbie players saving up...one can do that with expedition or faction shuttles, save the boosts and save dilithium for tickets. It really is quite simple. As for being
    Morbo4 wrote: »
    entitled whiners.
    We are the PAYING customers and the reward system for these events really needs a revamp. I do agree Shan is doing the best she can with the horrible system db has given her to work with (GO SHAN!!) and I want people to lay off on commenting negatively about her since it isn't her fault Galaxy events really aren't great at all!!! So all in all, Galaxy events are horrible...and I hope you can understand why.
    EDIT: Just came to me...it takes me less than 10 minutes to send all 4 shuttles. 10 minutes every 3 hours compared to the over 2 hours of hard playing I had to complete to get to 100,000 vp points...seems like it would've been better, time wise, to make this event a faction!
  • Options
    The reason nobody likes galaxy events

Thank you for including me in that "nobody likes" and for being wrong about my feelings about galaxy events.

I do like them, thank you very much. Galaxy events are an almost guaranteed way to turn chronitons into Legendary crew, and if f2p or low-VIP player wants to reach the top 1000, Galaxy events are amongst the easiest bet. At least half of my Legendaries come from Galaxy events, so you can bet I like them.

Anyway, it doesn't look to me like "Galaxy Event yay or nay" is the topic of this thread. Can we go back to the topic please?
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I do like them, thank you very much. Galaxy events are an almost guaranteed way to turn chronitons into Legendary crew, and if f2p or low-VIP player wants to reach the top 1000, Galaxy events are amongst the easiest bet. At least half of my Legendaries come from Galaxy events, so you can bet I like them.
    They are great for the F2P player to win crew, but the worst thing about galaxy events are the slow animations and endless clicking crafting for each 1k VPs.

I have serious RSI from all the damn clicking!! Make the recipes require 5x as many bits for 5k VP per pop and at least then the tedium would be reduced five fold!

Less tedium, more people would bother playing!

Jim

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    The reason nobody likes galaxy events

Thank you for including me in that "nobody likes" and for being wrong about my feelings about galaxy events.

Anyway, it doesn't look to me like "Galaxy Event yay or nay" is the topic of this thread. Can we go back to the topic please?

Okay...the majority of players don't like them!
  • Options
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    They are great for the F2P player to win crew, but the worst thing about galaxy events are the slow animations and endless clicking crafting for each 1k VPs.

I have serious RSI from all the damn clicking!! Make the recipes require 5x as many bits for 5k VP per pop and at least then the tedium would be reduced five fold!

I perfectly agree and I'd like to see such an improvement, or any improvement to decrease the repetitiveness of Galaxy events :)

Still, "Galaxy events yay or nay" isn't the topic of the thread.

There you go. It's amazing how a little bit of care in what you write can make the difference between "factually wrong" and "probably right".
  • Options

I perfectly agree and I'd like to see such an improvement, or any improvement to decrease the repetitiveness of Galaxy events :)

There you go. It's amazing how a little bit of care in what you write can make the difference between "factually wrong" and "probably right".

Well when I saw somebody defending galaxy events...boiled my blood just a bit :neutral: sorry
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 days is already too long for events (of any kind). Events are supposed to be special. Instread, we down 4/7 days (more than half) in an event. Events should run Friday to Monday and be just 3 days (regardless of event type).
  • Options

Well when I saw somebody defending galaxy events...boiled my blood just a bit :neutral: sorry
  • Options

People are free to defend what they like. It's basic free speech, really. As you are, for sure.

But let's be careful not to misrepresent the situation: this isn't "no one likes Galaxy events and DB's just stubbornly trying to push them down our throat". It's "the playerbase is in some extent split on the issue, and while most dislike them, a considerable amount of players have good reasons to like Galaxy events".

If we want the playerbase to come together on this issue, we should start by listening to each other instead of just assuming that everyone already agrees with us.