Home The Bridge
Options

Tribble Quibbles Mega-Event: feedback thread

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

I am doing something new and gathering focused and, yes I will say it again, concise feedback about our last mega-event.

Let us know what you liked about it, and what you liked less.

Thank you!

k5ddoj66g04o.png

Comments

• Options
    Building on AviTrek's comment, I think I would have liked the shuttle event from week three and the skirmish event from week four to be swapped, in order to make better use of the variety of bonus crew I had built up in the previous three weeks. I enjoyed the skirmish event (really love skirmish events in general the most!), but it didn't make the most use of my new collection of fun characters.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really liked the mega. It was fun getting all the cool tribbled crew and the collection that goes with it. I liked the storyline, art and an overall theme. I was hoping to get more tribbled discount packs with 1701 O’Brien, 1701 Sisko, and Arne Darvin so I could finish the collection but those didn’t come up.

I disliked the bad stats on Chekov. I didn’t mind Quark coming into the mega but it would have been better on a faction week where he could get more use. I also would have liked him in a separate pack with all the other tribbled crew not in this mega.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭
    What I liked:
    -The Art, beautiful.
    -Thematically very tight.
    -All cards were main cast.
    -Quark being featured in the final week (because he fit thematically)
    -Quark in recaps, I still need that 5th star.

What I did not like:
    -Only 3 weeks of discount packs. These are usually the highlight of a mega for me and it's how I finish a lot of crew off. It felt like I got less value out of the mega because the bonus pool was too small for 4 weeks of discount packs.
    -Stats weren't the best on the cards, but at least I still loved the characters.
    -Tribble Quark being featured in week 4 but NOT in the rewards. I would have appreciated the extra incentive to compete further and earn another copy of him.
  • Options
    Are makeup packs no longer 390 dilithium???

that would significantly color my opinion of the mega...
  • Options
    KPan [ISA]KPan [ISA] ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it's an error and will be adjusted within a few minutes.
    Otherwise I am likely going to open 0, instead of my planned 30
  • Options
    KPan [ISA] wrote: »

I'm sure it's an error and will be adjusted within a few minutes.
    Otherwise I am likely going to open 0, instead of my planned 30

ditto
    (granted, only 12 packs for me, heh)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The art was amazing!

A previous mega legendary in the recap packs was the only thing I didn't like about it.

This
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I loved that all the event crew were bonus for the rest of the mega. It felt like you were building up your crew rather than being bonus for their event and then normal crew after that.

Also this.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    NoNameNamerNoNameNamer ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    PRO:
    - A very nice recurring Kirk, I hope his events keep on coming
    CONS:
    - Terrible crew that should not have been released in 2021. See https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/18518/the-post-waddle-winter-season
    - Stealth changes to cards
    - Art issue not getting fixed
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, this was a very good Mega. One of the best in a while, I think.
    Pros:
    *The story was great. It was interesting, a popular topic, and a great, early celebration of both anniversaries (Enterprise will be 20 on the 8th, as well), and it tied all the Tribble episodes together.
    *The crew fit their roles well. Some don't always have bonus all Mega and that can be frustrating, especially for a new player. It irked me more as young player than it does now, but investing scarce resources to build up a crew and, then, not being able to get a lot of use out of them the next couple weeks is rough. Not everyone can take that frustration weekly and not give up.
    *The art was lovely. The pose and the details have been really capturing the moment well.
    *The arrangement was interesting and worked well. There were a lot of existing crew that could be used in the first Faction by established players, which gave us time to stockpile and farm for the Galaxy, which repeated with the second Faction ahead of the Skirmish which helps us prep for the Rerun Galaxy.
    * Improved event launch. Yay!
    Cons:
    *Quark diluted the recap packs. Less purples and more golds is rarely good when pulling packs. I never buy recaps. I usually buy one or two packs for each non-Galaxy. He made it easy to get my fourth Phlox from the event pack, but he unbalanced the recaps. Now, using an older, stat creeped gold like a purple and actually treating them like a purple, briefly, could be a good thing. It would let players finish a crew they wouldn't use cites on.
    * Leading off with a full faction was probably hard on young players. They don't have the deep roster to fill shuttles with. Granted, they likely don't have four+ shuttles to crew, but you really don't want them to leave frustrated.
    * A bit of early warning about just three weeks of discount packs would have been nice. Some people might have spent differently had they known. They might have spent more on other weeks or event packs or Tuesday packs, but didn't, to have a reserve for packs that didn't come.

I think that's it.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved how tightly the theme actually fit for cards - sometimes it feels like the theme is an after thought. This was really well constructed and I hope future megas continue to be like this.
  • Options
    1) Love the TOS/DS9 theme, my two favorites together in a package surrounding two of the best episodes in each series. I know recreating that kind of synergy will be difficult for future megas, however.

2) I loved how the mega theme also tied in with a new collection, though making it so that you had to have every single crew in the collection to hit max rewards might have been a bit too much (think of all the people who weren't able to get Arne Darvin without spending a heck of a lot of money, either on the Tuesday he was on offer or in ET packs recently).

3) I didn't have as much of an issue with the ranked reward crew not being spectacular as others have mentioned. But my priority has always been about collecting favorite characters from favorite series over usability in game, though the latter is still important.

4) Having the factions within two weeks of each other was devastating to any players that didn't have a huge stockpile of boosts. Skirmish should have been week 3 and the second faction week 4, especially as Skirmish would help to build up other stockpiles (not boosts, obviously). Would have been a better balance. At least 3 weeks between faction or hybrid faction events would be my recommendation.

I was excited for this mega, far more than I have been for many a recent mega. Overall it was definitely a positive experience.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?!'" - Chris Knight

Moderator of r/startrektimelines
    Fleet - Inner Planets Alliance Fleet of Pubs
    Captain Level - 99
    Player since - May 2016
  • Options
    [IPA] Markas[IPA] Markas ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    This most of all:
    Roykirk wrote: »

[snip]

4) Having the factions within two weeks of each other was devastating to any players that didn't have a huge stockpile of boosts. Skirmish should have been week 3 and the second faction week 4, especially as Skirmish would help to build up other stockpiles (not boosts, obviously). Would have been a better balance. At least 3 weeks between faction or hybrid faction events would be my recommendation.

I was excited for this mega, far more than I have been for many a recent mega. Overall it was definitely a positive experience.

So much good feedback that I can't add any more to. I thoroughly enjoyed this mega more than any in recent memory.
    Admiral of the Inner Planets Alliance fleets
  • Options
    So much good feedback that I can't add any more to.
    It is a very constructive thread!

Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I like mega events that stick true to their theme, but I personally found this particular mega's theme to be too narrow. It was basically related to a single episode of TOS, which made it feel less 'mega' and a little boring. I think mega events should have a broader theme that can encompass a wider variety of trek shows and characters.

The launch of the new collection to coincide with the mega also made it feel a bit forced. I don't like the idea of tying every mega so closely to a specific collection, since it makes it feel like all players are doing the exact same thing - building the same crew, working on the same collection. To me, when the mega-collection linkage is so obvious, it feels like I have less control over playing the game how I want to play it, which is far less authentic or fun for me. I like megas having a strong central theme, but not when that theme is just a certain trait.

I also didn't like how a past mega recurring crew was shoehorned into this mega, then added to the event and recap packs.

Aside from that, I think the game should be doing a better job of utilizing existing 4* crew who haven't already featured in events (let alone many events). I still like the idea of including an existing crew, but would like to see a wider variety of those crew get featured.
  • Options
    Overall, one of the better mega events. I liked having all of the crew as part of the highlighted collection.
    During a mega, the crew released should be either in the top 25-30% of the existing crew and/or have a special quality for the variant represented (high gauntlet pair, top base skill, new/unique skillset, new/unique collection, top voyager, etc.)
    Having Quark in the recaps was a big letdown. I probably would have pulled more packs, but once I fuled fused Kirk & McCoy, I stopped. A 50% chace of a 5/5 dropping is too high, a 40% chance without Quark in the pool, and I may have kept pulling.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, one of the better mega events. I liked having all of the crew as part of the highlighted collection.
    During a mega, the crew released should be either in the top 25-30% of the existing crew and/or have a special quality for the variant represented (high gauntlet pair, top base skill, new/unique skillset, new/unique collection, top voyager, etc.)
    Having Quark in the recaps was a big letdown. I probably would have pulled more packs, but once I fuled fused Kirk & McCoy, I stopped. A 50% chace of a 5/5 dropping is too high, a 40% chance without Quark in the pool, and I may have kept pulling.

Yep, same for me. Had Sulu and McCoy done and Quark from the previous mega. So a 50/50 on the rest was not worth it for me to keep pulling. I would have bought many more without Quark. But gonna keep my Tribble Kirk at 4/5 just in case he pops up in next mega I will be ready. :)
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a suggestion that should have been implemented in the recap packs.
    If an existing legendary is used in the event as specific bonus crew. Make his appearance in a recap or event pack be a behold with the other legendaries that are in the mega event recap pack or the event pack.

I enjoyed the event, thumbs up. Was also disappointed as @Ishmael Marx mentioned at the similarity between Dancing Chekov and Tribble Chekov.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I’m coming in late on this thread. I have to say I agree with pretty much everything that’s been posted. I wanted to contribute to place emphasis on what was to me the major letdown on this event: Tribble Quark.

Please do not recycle a “free” 5* crew from a prior mega event ever again. Adding Tribble Quark was incredibly unfair to the players who spent money on recaps from the prior event to finish him. I imagine some players who spent 50k honor on a citation felt tricked, too.

And Quark wasn’t dumped in once. He was dumped in TWICE. Not everybody has the time or resources to rank in an event. The one week Chekov was available his odds were split 50/50 with a leftover Quark. That should NEVER happen. Please never EVER do that again. You’re getting no complaints about that because the stats were awful. If Chekov had been a powerful crew I promise you there would have been pitchforks and torches. Then of course for recap packs the odds for getting Chekov were as diluted as the rest of the event crew, and few were pleased to see Quark appear there.

Please, do not do this again. You guys only update the portal once a year or so. Players typically have that one window of opportunity for mega event crew before a very long wait.

If you have some money person twisting their mustache thinking adding old crew is a great way to water down the odds to increase player gambling, please be sure to tell that person I spent no money on the recaps because Quark was added.