Home The Bridge

Event Discussion Thread: Skirmish Event - Terran Nights ME#2 - 2022-04-14

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second comment
    Let’s fly!
  • OK, I'm seriously disappointed that the Warbird does not have a plasma torpedo for one of its skills. What is this "laser guidance" BS that does immediate damage? That should be a plasma weapon, with a fairly long initiation period (12secs or more) and a longer cooldown period (20secs or more), but do 500% damage. It was almost...almost...a one-shot weapon. In fact, the whole episode was a tribute to WWII submarine warfare; the Romulan commander fires the plasma torpedo and then tries to flee, knowing the enemy ship (Enterprise) would rightly recognize the destructive potential of the torpedo and break off their attack.

C'mon, does anyone even watch the shows these ships/characters are drawn from?
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Arnie wrote: »
    Does the Romulan BoP have a new cloaking device that projects it as a Klingon BoP?

I'm more concerned that it has no cloaking device at all:

ioxunptrhloa.jpg

Yes, there is that too.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    OK, I'm seriously disappointed that the Warbird does not have a plasma torpedo for one of its skills. What is this "laser guidance" BS that does immediate damage? That should be a plasma weapon, with a fairly long initiation period (12secs or more) and a longer cooldown period (20secs or more), but do 500% damage. It was almost...almost...a one-shot weapon. In fact, the whole episode was a tribute to WWII submarine warfare; the Romulan commander fires the plasma torpedo and then tries to flee, knowing the enemy ship (Enterprise) would rightly recognize the destructive potential of the torpedo and break off their attack.

Arnie wrote: »
    Does the Romulan BoP have a new cloaking device that projects it as a Klingon BoP?

ioxunptrhloa.jpg

Seems WRG/TP messed up this time. If they're going to create a ship based on something in the series (TOS in this case), they should at least get the traits correct. The Cloaking Device is not something that is minor. This ship (in TOS) would have been toast without it (no warp drive in Balance of Terror, unstated warp capability in The Deadly Years or The Enterprise Incident-updated version).

@Shan - they should fix this, if not now in a future server update.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I'm generally not fussed about ships in the game, but the cat-and-mouse, submarine style story of the BoP vs Enterprise in Balance of Terror was all based around their cloaking device. Seems a shame for it to not have that ability.
    As long as it looks cool I will like it.
    Let’s fly!
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, ya. The two definitive features of this ship are the cloak and the plasma weapon. They both need to be there. I would even go 600% burst damage with a negative accuracy modifier to replicate enterprise outrunning it. And yes, there should be a long recharge cycle between uses.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I'm generally not fussed about ships in the game, but the cat-and-mouse, submarine style story of the BoP vs Enterprise in Balance of Terror was all based around their cloaking device. Seems a shame for it to not have that ability.

This moment was right out of the war:

Romulan Commander: It is time. All debris into disposal tubes.

Decius: Yes, Commander.

Romulan Commander: The body of the Centurion, too.

[Decius moves off]

Romulan Commander: Forgive me, my old friend, but I must use all my experience now to get home.

Subs would eject any loose debris, and even bodies, to try and make it look like a hit had scored. I think they even dumped some fuel sometimes to make an oil slick.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    Probably my favorite line, because it shows how much the Romulan respects and admires a worthy foe:

Romulan Commander: [speaking of his opposite number, Captain Kirk] He's a sorcerer, that one! He reads the thoughts in my brain!
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Balance of Terror" is Star Trek's homage to "Das Boot" and that is a beautiful thing. It is a classic- the book, the movie, and the episode. I was considering rewatching it this week ahead of the event even...and maybe "Das Boot" too. (Like I'm passing up an excuse to do that.) Decisions, decisions,....
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Could this just be the old one that shows up in Picard?
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Balance of Terror" is Star Trek's homage to "Das Boot" and that is a beautiful thing. It is a classic- the book, the movie, and the episode. I was considering rewatching it this week ahead of the event even...and maybe "Das Boot" too. (Like I'm passing up an excuse to do that.) Decisions, decisions,....

I'm not sure how it would be an homage to something that came after it. Even the source novel wasn't published until 1973. In any case, I loved the movie! Still haven't gotten hold of the mini-series version. I've been fascinated by submarines ever since I toured the U-505 in the Museum of Science and Technology in Chicago on an overnight field trip in 6th grade.
    Could this just be the old one that shows up in Picard?

The flavor text is ambiguous enough that it's possible. Though if it is, that calls into question whether it ought to have the Romulan trait since that specific Bird-of-Prey wasn't being used by Romulans. *sigh* What a mess!

Maybe you are thinking "Run Silent, Run Deep"?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Or "The Enemy Below"? THE classic Destroyer versus Sub World War Two movie?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050356/?ref_=tt_sims_tt_i_1

IIRC, "The Enemy Below" had a lot of elements that probably appeared again in "Balance of Terror". Including the Sub crew faking the "death" of the Sub at one point? I seem to recall strong elements of the respect between the two captains being much like the respect seen in "Balance of Terror". Even similar thoughts and ideas being expressed.

The German captain even expresses a similar idea about the skills of the U.S. captain.

Maybe it is not the TOS warbird but one from the latter series?
    Let’s fly!

IIRC, "The Enemy Below" had a lot of elements that probably appeared again in "Balance of Terror". Including the Sub crew faking the "death" of the Sub at one point? I seem to recall strong elements of the respect between the two captains being much like the respect seen in "Balance of Terror". Even similar thoughts and ideas being expressed.

The German captain even expresses a similar idea about the skills of the U.S. captain.

True. I'm thinking more of the genre in general. It was hugely popular for decades and "Das Boot" was sort of the climax of the type. I can't name a really classic one after it. The only two that come after I can immediately call to mind are "The Hunt for Red October" and "K19". The one that comes to mind as the best analogy for "BoT" is really a WWI movie from the late 30s or early 40s called "Thunder Afloat" about a UBoot and a sub-chaser. They even use the releasing oil trick. It's one of those WWI movies that were so popular before and during the early parts of WWI.
    Visiting U505 is on my bucket list. You'd think I'd have seen it by now, since I'm just over in Indiana, but I've never been further west than Terre Haute. I've been to Belgium, but not Illinois. Lol! I love subs. I've built several and have a bunch on the bench or waiting to be built. They range from a Gato in 1/700 that it the size of my pinkie and a 1/72 Skip jack that reaches my hip when stood on end. Variety is the spice of life. I also have a TOS Romulan ship to work on here somewhere.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • RC Doggie [TRCM]RC Doggie [TRCM] ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Wonderland Taylor is missing the Caregiver trait and should not be Displaced.

Caregiver:
    GILLIAN: Despite all the things that they are teaching us we have to return George and Gracie to the open sea.
    KIRK: Why's that?
    GILLIAN: Well, for one thing, we simply don't have enough money to keep feeding them two of tons of shrimp a day!
    KIRK: How soon?
    GILLIAN: Soon. ...It's too bad because they're really quite friendly, as you can see. I've grown quite attached to them.
    GILLIAN: Okay. I don't know what this is all about, but I want you guys out of here right now or I call the cops.
    KIRK: I assure you that won't be necessary. We were only trying to help.
    GILLIAN: The hell you were, buster. Your friend was messing up my whales.
    BOB: How you doing?
    GILLIAN: I'm fine.
    BOB: Don't tell me your fish stories, kiddo. I've known you too long.
    GILLIAN: Bob, ...it's tearing me apart. Okay?
    BOB: I know. I feel the same thing, but we're between a rock and a hard place. If we can't keep them here without risking their lives. We can't let them go without a taking the same chance.
    GILLIAN: I know, I know.
    BOB: And besides we're not talking about human beings here. It's never been proven their intelligence is anyw...
    GILLIAN: Oh, come on Bob. I don't know about you, but my compassion for someone is not limited to my estimate of their intelligence.
    KIRK: You're upset about losing the whales aren't you?
    GILLIAN: You're very perceptive.
    GILLIAN: My whales? Where could you take them where they'd be safe?

Displaced:
    She matches neither description given by WRG;
    - crew who unintentionally arrives in an alternate timeline, in the past, or in the future
    - crew whose intentional action results in them arriving in the past, or future, with no way back
    as she hasn't traveled through time (yet) and since we already have a version of Taylor in game after time traveling, it's not logical for her to assume traits best associated with an existing variant.

2024 Raffi is missing the Veteran trait: Lt. Commander Raffaela Musiker has the trait. One cannot stop being a Veteran and the 2024 variant is from a point in time after the Lt. Commander variant.

A masterful analysis. But I must add that the displaced trait belongs on the other variant, Dr. Gillian Taylor, as she left the 20th century & spent the rest of her life continuing to care for her whales, a decision necessary for the survival of Earth.
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    4c3710f9e8febe1e78bd9dab97160acb544936f9.jpg
    1-560597312.jpg
  • DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    OK, I'm seriously disappointed that the Warbird does not have a plasma torpedo for one of its skills. What is this "laser guidance" BS that does immediate damage? That should be a plasma weapon, with a fairly long initiation period (12secs or more) and a longer cooldown period (20secs or more), but do 500% damage. It was almost...almost...a one-shot weapon. In fact, the whole episode was a tribute to WWII submarine warfare; the Romulan commander fires the plasma torpedo and then tries to flee, knowing the enemy ship (Enterprise) would rightly recognize the destructive potential of the torpedo and break off their attack.

Arnie wrote: »

ioxunptrhloa.jpg

Seems WRG/TP messed up this time. If they're going to create a ship based on something in the series (TOS in this case), they should at least get the traits correct. The Cloaking Device is not something that is minor. This ship (in TOS) would have been toast without it (no warp drive in Balance of Terror, unstated warp capability in The Deadly Years or The Enterprise Incident-updated version).

@Shan - they should fix this, if not now in a future server update.

Is it my imagination, or is STT having to correct more & more of its products after release? It gives me pause, since there's so much fuss over fleet battles in a game notorious for its poor fleet communications.
    Traits can always be argued multiple ways and interpretations. WRG has said before I believe that they don’t want to give every character every trait they could have. Why would you get other variations?
    Let’s fly!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭

True. I'm thinking more of the genre in general. It was hugely popular for decades and "Das Boot" was sort of the climax of the type. I can't name a really classic one after it. The only two that come after I can immediately call to mind are "The Hunt for Red October" and "K19". The one that comes to mind as the best analogy for "BoT" is really a WWI movie from the late 30s or early 40s called "Thunder Afloat" about a UBoot and a sub-chaser. They even use the releasing oil trick. It's one of those WWI movies that were so popular before and during the early parts of WWI.
    Visiting U505 is on my bucket list. You'd think I'd have seen it by now, since I'm just over in Indiana, but I've never been further west than Terre Haute. I've been to Belgium, but not Illinois. Lol! I love subs. I've built several and have a bunch on the bench or waiting to be built. They range from a Gato in 1/700 that it the size of my pinkie and a 1/72 Skip jack that reaches my hip when stood on end. Variety is the spice of life. I also have a TOS Romulan ship to work on here somewhere.

I'm a big fan of U-571, though it requires some compartmentalization to overlook its two most egregious, fundamental flaws.
    Its key offense is that it presents the Americans as being the ones to first capture a German submarine and, with it, the Enigma machine. We did capture the U-505 so there's basis for dramatizing our sailors pulling off the operation, but the British had already done it months before we even entered the war. The British were understandably incensed by the movie erasing their real life sailors' legacies. Then-PM Tony Blair even voiced an objection over it to then-President Clinton. I was used to governments feuding with artists (looking at you, Madonna) and studios, but that was the first time I took notice of one head of state complaining to another head of state, in their official capacities as heads of state, over a movie.

The Germans, on the other hand, took umbrage at the depiction of their submarine crew murdering survivors of a crew after sinking their ship. There was only one documented instance of that happening throughout the entire war. Otherwise, U-boat crews at worst left stranded sailors to their fates but often provided some survival supplies before leaving them to their fates. That was the first, and so far only, time I recall the Germans hearing about their depiction in a movie and saying, "Hey, that's out of line, we didn't go that far!
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of U-571, though it requires some compartmentalization to overlook its two most egregious, fundamental flaws.
    Its key offense is that it presents the Americans as being the ones to first capture a German submarine and, with it, the Enigma machine. We did capture the U-505 so there's basis for dramatizing our sailors pulling off the operation, but the British had already done it months before we even entered the war. The British were understandably incensed by the movie erasing their real life sailors' legacies. Then-PM Tony Blair even voiced an objection over it to then-President Clinton. I was used to governments feuding with artists (looking at you, Madonna) and studios, but that was the first time I took notice of one head of state complaining to another head of state, in their official capacities as heads of state, over a movie.

The Germans, on the other hand, took umbrage at the depiction of their submarine crew murdering survivors of a crew after sinking their ship. There was only one documented instance of that happening throughout the entire war. Otherwise, U-boat crews at worst left stranded sailors to their fates but often provided some survival supplies before leaving them to their fates. That was the first, and so far only, time I recall the Germans hearing about their depiction in a movie and saying, "Hey, that's out of line, we didn't go that far!

The big issue with U-571 was that the Enigma codes had pretty much been broken before the US entered the war, in fact part of the agreement between the UK and the US is that we (the UK) would share our code breaking with the US.

The real prize was not the Enigma machines, but the cribs and code books that went with them, and an important capture was by the RN in 1942.

To put this into context, imagine the British produced a film of the RN winning the Battle of Midway.

https://uboat.net/technical/enigma_breaking.htm
    And Poland had the foundation to breaking Enigma that they got out of the country before the invasion. Bletchley Park and the cryptographers there were some of the most unsung heroes of the war.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get back to discussing the skirmish event, does anyone remember if the team (WRG or DB) has ever changed a ship's abilities after it was introduced in the game? If not, maybe the Romulan Warbird could be the first one. 🤞
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »

Answer: No :/
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA: we're having some technical issues today, this means a delay for:
    - today's event packs and offers
    - next week's event announce
    edited April 2022
    In that case I shall take event guesses. 5* Kadis Kot Playing Neelix and 4* Ogre of Fire.
    Let’s fly!
    Did two Pulls, even though I was expecting Frozen Bashir until the Dilithium was gone...

bi4vkxyaihy9.jpg