Home The Bridge

Exclusive boimler for $50 usd

Comments

• ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Frank? wrote: »
    Before you read, make sure to stop back three booths and get your rocks, stones and tomatoes. I'll be out in the town square in 10 minutes for my flogging.

Not defending it, just giving a different perspective.

I spend between $30 and upwards of $400 every single Tuesday, to get the new shiny card and immortalize it. Traveling Man said it well, once you get all the crew immortalized, it is expensive to keep the train going.

Today I spent $50, plus $25 for DYC - and since I like to dupe, I got 2 copies of a top 10 voyager for $75 plus 7 cites. That's waaaaaaay cheaper than the last few Tuesday crew I've gotten and duped.

So I'm happy about 'getting out cheap' for this Tuesday, but I'm not happy about the new experiment to paywall a crew, bundled with an OE to paywall the final tier, etc etc.

Even I have my limits and I think we have begun to find that I too should re-evaluate how much I want to spend on this game going forward, if this is indeed the signs of things to come.
    uf4gw17lvmx2.gif
    To be honest, only Frantic McCoy would entice me iff I still played Gauntlet, which I now don't. Who knows if the studio will make past FBB-reward cards available via portal or crew retrieval in the future.

What troubles me the most about this move by @WRG Ben (who I believe controls the design & timing of these offers) is that it strikes me as tone-deaf to the ongoing but inevitable complaints about our game becoming more P2W. I am unsure about any communications getting through at this point, however.

I will spare y'all a list of hyperlinks; look at other threads in this room instead. My hope is that the @WRG Team will take more than a few minutes to evaluate these concerns.

Live long and prosper. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FRaggedEagerIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fgfycat.com%2Fraggedeageririshwaterspaniel-star-trek-voyager-kathryn-janeway&tbnid=_j5Zh3w7gFVa1M&vet=12ahUKEwjtycDwx6T6AhUQADQIHQnqDdEQMygEegUIARDoAQ..i&docid=SrIAH-Ls1GN9IM&w=576&h=432&q=star%20trek%20janeway%20gif&hl=en-ca&client=safari&ved=2ahUKEwjtycDwx6T6AhUQADQIHQnqDdEQMygEegUIARDoAQ

🍿
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank? wrote: »
    Before you read, make sure to stop back three booths and get your rocks, stones and tomatoes. I'll be out in the town square in 10 minutes for my flogging.

Not defending it, just giving a different perspective.

I spend between $30 and upwards of $400 every single Tuesday, to get the new shiny card and immortalize it. Traveling Man said it well, once you get all the crew immortalized, it is expensive to keep the train going.

Today I spent $50, plus $25 for DYC - and since I like to dupe, I got 2 copies of a top 10 voyager for $75 plus 7 cites. That's waaaaaaay cheaper than the last few Tuesday crew I've gotten and duped.

So I'm happy about 'getting out cheap' for this Tuesday, but I'm not happy about the new experiment to paywall a crew, bundled with an OE to paywall the final tier, etc etc.

Even I have my limits and I think we have begun to find that I too should re-evaluate how much I want to spend on this game going forward, if this is indeed the signs of things to come.
    uf4gw17lvmx2.gif

100% agree.

To most, $50 seems like a lot and it is. But to those that spent $200 in dil chasing professor Data (idk I drink a lot), it seems like a no brainer if you wanted the crew.

In other words, if he was in a pack, how many people would have pulled the 6500 pack and would you have done it more than once?

Or how many have bought the Tuesday 9.99 pack 3 times and missed out on all the pulls?
  • Ive had a minute to think about it.

Its an exclusive crew that is not a game breaker. I dont think anyone is going to be saying that if you dont buy that card, your not going to place in events.

So, yeah, whatever. Charge $300.

But please dont insult us by trying to “re-appraise” gold citations at $37.50 each. (As you attempted with the $200 offer)
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt say all of the community. But I get it, it's different, people don't like it. But I play other games so the $50 offer is very common. However the $200 is not defendable.

66uoalavecms.jpeg
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    If you want us to buy from the webstore, give us a good reason to do so. Put Boimler out at $10 for 1/5 with chrons and credits and I’m way more likely to buy. Hype this up as some sort of event where the price point can only be described as ludicrous, and everyone looks like an idiot for getting excited and WRG looks like they’re greedy, out of touch, and incompetent.

Tuesday packs are inherently abusive as people have spent 40k dil only to not get the crew they really want. If this is WRG’s way of trying to fix that problem, WRG should try harder.

Drop the price to something more in line with the uber campaign track or offer beholds of the 3 Tuesday legendaries at a reasonable price. 6,500 dil seems reasonable to me, since that’s the same as the uber campaign crew.

One other thing: the $200 offer for a 5/5 Boimler is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen. People spending at that level on Tuesday packs are almost certainly going to have enough cites and honor to buy the other stars.
  • weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I'm assuming all of us using devices that allow them got the "Iconic Crew Sale" push notification inviting us to "log in" for it? I've not seen that one for quite a while (that I can remember) but for me it's strongly associated with the $10 for a gold+chrons+credits deal, which I used to bite on fairly regularly when my roster was less developed. Logging in to find that in fact it was referring to a mail trying to encourage me to leave the game again to go to the webstore felt rather bait and switch, to be honest.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FRaggedEagerIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fgfycat.com%2Fraggedeageririshwaterspaniel-star-trek-voyager-kathryn-janeway&tbnid=_j5Zh3w7gFVa1M&vet=12ahUKEwjtycDwx6T6AhUQADQIHQnqDdEQMygEegUIARDoAQ..i&docid=SrIAH-Ls1GN9IM&w=576&h=432&q=star%20trek%20janeway%20gif&hl=en-ca&client=safari&ved=2ahUKEwjtycDwx6T6AhUQADQIHQnqDdEQMygEegUIARDoAQ

🍿

- 25 points for bad post. :p
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • I think the difference from Tuesday packs is that you can save a lot of dilithium with very small expenses and then use it all up targeting one specific crew that you really want. The difference from the premium campaign is that that format gives you a 4/5* and a lot of other useful rewards, while not forcing you to make a purchase through an external site.

While I don't care about this specific card, knowing that this is going to happen in the future and presumably with all main cast from the various shows, makes me question my current approach to the game.

I see this mainly as a card collecting game and I like to collect and immortalize versions of characters that I love. Knowing that at some point there will be one that will cost 50€ and that I will have to wait for possibly a year to retrieve them, makes a lot of the daily effort and small spending feel pointless. If I have to wait for 6+ months to get a crew that I want, which will by that point be almost useless for gameplay, I can do that as an ftp player who only plays casually a few days a week.
  • I choose to look on the bright side. I now save a crapload of money due to greed of the company
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this card over priced? Yes.
    Am I going to treat it like every Tuesday 5* and wait till it hits the portal? Yes.
    Is it a big deal that its webstore exclusive? No. Again, the webstore is just giving you a choice between two different capitalist entities. Neither are good choices.
    Is it worth even a second of drama? No.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    imdwalrus wrote: »
    Apologies for the double post, but Big Book of Behold is refusing to even engage with this crew:

https://www.bigbook.app/crew/boimler_evsuit_crew

This is what your community thinks about this, WRG. Pay attention.

I've actually been pondering about not adding him to the DNA sheet as well. I've not done it yet and usually I jump on new crew.....
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I think quibbling about the price is the best case scenario for WRG. My issue with it is that it hard locks players out from acquiring a crew without cash until some unscheduled, unknown update a year or more down the line. Cash only crew is a very player unfriendly decision and a big difference from the campaign model which gives every player a guaranteed way to acquire the new crew in the client.
    Apologies for the double post, but Big Book of Behold is refusing to even engage with this crew:

Before any (more) drama starts, we're not the only player resource who feels this way. We intend to do this for all future cash gated crew. All the normal site functionality remains intact, although we strongly recommend that if you can't judge a particular crew for yourself that you not spend fifty dollars on them. This isn't a player vs player issue, I'd much rather see players vs WRG on a brazenly greedy decision that makes future crew less available for all but the top spenders.

Bur, the decision to not add any crew member to a resource that players regularly use and recommend to other players does not affect WRF. It does affect players that use and recommend what is now an incomplete resource. Just saying. No offense.

No offense is intended, meant, implied, construed, or contained in Red or Blue Pills. Do not use infernally. Never call with a Deuce-Seven Off-Suit. Objects in mirror may be behind you. I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you. The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands. I'm in love with Stacy's mom. So now I come to you with open arms. Sunday is on the way. The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive. Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough. This Ming is a psycho! Maximum effort! Nothing in this disclaimer or the comment it is part of construes, implies, or in any way can serve as legal advice.

cmdrworf wrote: »

I've actually been pondering about not adding him to the DNA sheet as well. I've not done it yet and usually I jump on new crew.....

See above.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I think quibbling about the price is the best case scenario for WRG. My issue with it is that it hard locks players out from acquiring a crew without cash until some unscheduled, unknown update a year or more down the line. Cash only crew is a very player unfriendly decision and a big difference from the campaign model which gives every player a guaranteed way to acquire the new crew in the client.

Before any (more) drama starts, we're not the only player resource who feels this way. We intend to do this for all future cash gated crew. All the normal site functionality remains intact, although we strongly recommend that if you can't judge a particular crew for yourself that you not spend fifty dollars on them. This isn't a player vs player issue, I'd much rather see players vs WRG on a brazenly greedy decision that makes future crew less available for all but the top spenders.

Bur, the decision to not add any crew member to a resource that players regularly use and recommend to other players does not affect WRF. It does affect players that use and recommend what is now an incomplete resource. Just saying. No offense.

No offense is intended, meant, implied, construed, or contained in Red or Blue Pills. Do not use infernally. Never call with a Deuce-Seven Off-Suit. Objects in mirror may be behind you. I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you. The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands. I'm in love with Stacy's mom. So now I come to you with open arms. Sunday is on the way. The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive. Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough. This Ming is a psycho! Maximum effort! Nothing in this disclaimer or the comment it is part of construes, implies, or in any way can serve as legal advice.

See above.

I think that its great that the players who created those resources are exercising their freedom of opinion.

I dont think that just because those players were extremely generous to all other players in creating a free resource that they have to refrain from expressing their thoughts and opinions about a business approach that they disagree with. To me, it falls back on wrg and they should probably take notice that some of their biggest promoters/supporters are not thrilled about this exclusive deal.

AviTrek wrote: »

See above.

To quote Automaton: "All the normal site functionality remains intact, although we strongly recommend that if you can't judge a particular crew for yourself that you not spend fifty dollars on them."

All the rankings are still there. In fact, you can easily tell what tier Boimler would have been. But as Automaton said, if you can't understand how a card would or wouldn't help your crew, you should figure that out before spending $50 on any crew.

Yeah. I specifically did not even mention the part that was like a vertically challenged prisoner climbing down a prison wall. Since I am constantly accused of being a troublemaker and confrontational.

It is of course the intellectual property of the people making the app. I was just pointing out that it is kind of disingenuous to talk about it should not be "player versus player" and should be about "player versus WRG" while at the same time doing something that does not affect WRG at all but DOES affect the players.

I'm 55 years old. I haven't really used the outside party stuff much, if at all, but I really do not think I can memorize the stats ranking of {as of typing this} 1265 different crew. Most people probably can't either.

DO I think it is a bad thing for a Crew that is in FOUR Collections, just for one example, to be Paywall? Absolutely. I am in no way defending this decision by WRG. I hope that is VERY clear.

IS the Offer horrible? Very much so. Especially if the regular $49.99 Event Legendary Crew Offer is updated like the $99.99 Offer appears to be. Didn't it used to be two copies? Paris is three copies now.

cznc9ftnnafg.jpg

If the $50 Paris Offer is two copies instead of one, it will make this Boimler Offer even more of a horrible idea.

• What is it?

A picture and some numbers in a database, which can be copied over and over. Nothing more.
    Worth: almost nothing, 99 cents, for your effort
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I love the irony of the card's ship battle skill - "We're All in This Together"... it must be WRG talking to its bank accounts, certainly not the players.
    Unless I am forgetting/missing something this is not the first paywall character. We Scrooge Data introduced on the premium campaign track nearly 3 years ago now. But that points out the real problem with this offer... the price. In that case $10 got you FOUR copies plus a citation plus all of the other goodies. Compare that to nearly half a year of campaigns worth of spending that gets you a single copy.

Not all offers are equal but some are less equal than others.

That is a little different. You get quite a few things besides the Legendary in the Premium and Uber Tracks. Plus, as noted, that was FOUR copies and a Cite for much less this "deal".
  • Unless I am forgetting/missing something this is not the first paywall character. We Scrooge Data introduced on the premium campaign track nearly 3 years ago now. But that points out the real problem with this offer... the price. In that case $10 got you FOUR copies plus a citation plus all of the other goodies. Compare that to nearly half a year of campaigns worth of spending that gets you a single copy.

That is a little different. You get quite a few things besides the Legendary in the Premium and Uber Tracks. Plus, as noted, that was FOUR copies and a Cite for much less this "deal".

Thats exactly what he said, no?
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
    edited September 2022
    Unless I am forgetting/missing something this is not the first paywall character. We Scrooge Data introduced on the premium campaign track nearly 3 years ago now. But that points out the real problem with this offer... the price. In that case $10 got you FOUR copies plus a citation plus all of the other goodies. Compare that to nearly half a year of campaigns worth of spending that gets you a single copy.

Thats exactly what he said, no?

Simple explanation. I was half asleep. I may not have read it all.

I can't remember. Was there "Paywall outrage" when Data was introduced? Because it is a valid point that he was initially cashy folding money only. As are any new Crew on the Premium Track. Maybe that kind of thing should have been used to set the price for Boimler. $9.99-$14.99, with some "bonus" items. Maybe a Cite and for something new and unique, his Level 90 Legendary Uniform. And some Chronitons and Honour. As it stands, you get one copy of Boimler and the VIP for $49.99 and that is it. And chances are a lot of the people that would be able to justify that kind of expenditure would already be VIP capped.

EDIT: Theoretically, the Uber Track Legendary COULD potentially be gotten for "free" using accumulated Dilithium that was not bought. But, how often could you do one for 6500? Accumulating only FREE Dilithium, like from the Basic Campaign Track? So, Uber Legendary is mostly Paywall. Either buy the Track, or buy Dilithium to do the Pull that way.

Maybe we should mainly concentrate on this new Paywall Crew being poorly priced, versus being "Paywall".

{Other games have Paywall characters pretty intensely, compared to what we get here. Marvel Future Fight comes to mind. Probably half the Heroes are Bio/X-Gene Subscription. Sometimes they offer another option. Such as we just got a Symbiote Update and the new Hero is Bio-Sub but there is a month long Event that gives enough Bios to unlock him if you earn enough points to hit the half-way or so point. If you have a Mega Rank Up Ticket, you can then max him to Level 60. getting him to Tier Two then requires either a Bio-Sub or a Mega Tier Two Ticket, because there is something that needs to be leveled up using Bios before he can be Tier Twoed the normal way. At least in this game, you can Level Crew without buying extra stuff. And Stars can be Cited.}

Key Art for reference:

vb0bgtsz0clk.jpg

King in Black Venom Center. New Uniform}
    Classic Uniform Agent Venom {Right side. New Uniform}
    Silence Scream {Left side. New Uniform}
    Toxin {in back. The new character}

Uniforms are 1750 Crystals each. {Discounted to 1050 for a week or two after Update.} Crystals are like their Dilithium. Can slowly be gotten in-game for free, but mostly have to be bought. 3150 Crystals for the three Uniforms during the discount. 4250 after discount is over. Bios are needed to Upgrade Uniforms, as well as the other uses. Agent Venom is Paywall, so Bio-Sub needed to Upgrade his Uniform. {There is a Mega Rank Up Ticket for Uniforms, but it almost never available except for cashy folding money at $39.99}

• There are ways to monetize players with a collection-bent without being offensive. Has artificial scarcity ever made any consumer happy?
    Years ago, I was collecting every version of the Playmates Star Trek 4.5 inch action figures. Then they did their limited-to-1701 figures produced "promotion." That stopped my ability, and therefore "need" to get them all. I became much more selective on how I spent my money on those figures after that.

Now, I've limited my own spending since various QC issues have made me concerned about the game, so this won't affect me. But I wonder if it might affect others.

If you don't learn from history...
  • You can also get the Campaign Crew with crystals. Still a premium currency, but there are ways to get crystal without spending actual money via offer wall. Not saying it is readily available to all, but if you wanted to work at it - it is possible to obtain through other means. Half-Yard Boimler can only be obtained by spending cash.

If they wanted to use the store to sell crew, they should have taken the opposite approach. How about put a BUNCH of ancient golds on there (3+ years old) for $5 a piece? There are over a thousand crew, and a lot of players would jump at a bargain gold. I'll bet that would be more lucrative than creating an elite crew that only a small fraction could afford, and a smaller fraction willing to buy. There are ways to monetize players with a collection-bent without being offensive. Has artificial scarcity ever made any consumer happy?

Heck this might appeal to me. Let me spend a few dollars and give me a choice of any crew 3+ years old, like some sort of mechanism where it's $10 for 10 golds of your choice but they're all old crew. For $1, I'd finish off my blue 7 of 9, or heck I'd even get 5 copies of some golds I've airlocked multiple times to finish off collections (cough grand nagus rom cough)
    Boimler in Elusive Treasures?

Or still just cashy folding money?
  • Boimler is in the list.