Home The Bridge
Options

Discovery Midweek Objective Event

Comments

• Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This and the quantum OE are both targeted at semi-competitive to competitive long-time players that have hoarded *a lot* of resources over the years.

The difference is that the quantum OE will give you almost two legendaries of your choice, if you have the credits ready.

The beholds from this one would be great for a newer player, who could probably get a useful legendary out of each one, but for those players it would be less expensive to just purchase them with dilithium instead.

For a long-time player the rewards might just be worth it, if the pulls are lucky, but they could also be completely useless. Or they could be great in the unlikely chance that you get exactly the non-portal crew that you wanted.

It feels like the kind of thing that you do if you can do it, because *maybe* it will give you something worth a little bit more than the time and resources that you invested into it. It's definitely not exciting and it has a high chance of being very disappointing.

Lowering the number of arena battles to 30 or 40 and halving the number of chrons and credits would change that, while still requiring to waste dilithium on the most pointless feature of the game and draining resources (which seems to be its goal). If all-immortal beholds had a refresh option it would also feel different.

Thank you for this great feedback - it is appreciated.
  • Options
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    I've said it before but not all OEs will be for everyone.
    There is a strategy, I can confirm that anything will count for the spending aspect and that there is double dipping that can be done.

Oh for sure. Spending 600 dil on arena tickets and another 360 dil on quantum, along with the resulting 5M credits for a retrieval, would fulfill the arena & dil requirements and half the credit requirement. Spending 10K chrons would also help refill a chunk of the additional 5M credits being spent either farming or converting to honor via 90K pack purchases.

I get how the requirements are supposed to effectively work together, but I think as always the question is whether or not the rewards have enough value for players. WRG tends to overvalue 10x packs and honor (aka 91:1 ratio between 1/5 crew and 1/5 cite), which I think is why there's often a difference of opinion between WRG and the players on the overall value equation for our in-game investments.

I think your last paragraph is accurate.

It would be stellar if wrg would actually listen to the people that have played their game for years. Have a brainstorm session with them and listen to their ideas.

This never ending onslaught of tone def and frankly, content that ignores the basic tenents of your own game is exhausting. Its clear that your decision makers dont understand how players interact with their game, or they are hell bent on trying to change it. Both of those are bad news for wveryone.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    There is a strategy, I can confirm that anything will count for the spending aspect and that there is double dipping that can be done.

Oh for sure. Spending 600 dil on arena tickets and another 360 dil on quantum, along with the resulting 5M credits for a retrieval, would fulfill the arena & dil requirements and half the credit requirement. Spending 10K chrons would also help refill a chunk of the additional 5M credits being spent either farming or converting to honor via 90K pack purchases.

I get how the requirements are supposed to effectively work together, but I think as always the question is whether or not the rewards have enough value for players. WRG tends to overvalue 10x packs and honor (aka 91:1 ratio between 1/5 crew and 1/5 cite), which I think is why there's often a difference of opinion between WRG and the players on the overall value equation for our in-game investments.

It would be stellar if wrg would actually listen to the people that have played their game for years. Have a brainstorm session with them and listen to their ideas.

This never ending onslaught of tone def and frankly, content that ignores the basic tenents of your own game is exhausting. Its clear that your decision makers dont understand how players interact with their game, or they are hell bent on trying to change it. Both of those are bad news for wveryone.

On the flip side, for long-term players who have no shortage of chrons & credits, players can essentially get a 3-for-1 deal on the 950 dil Disco packs (and potentially speed up their next retrieval) by completing this entire midweek event.

The 3-for-1 deal comes down to spending the 950 dil and completing the 60 arena battles that would require 600 of that dil, as well as the event completion reward. If you see value in that Disco pack, that's not too bad. The other 2 Disco packs can obviously be acquired from spending chrons & credits, without requiring any dil.
  • Options

On the flip side, for long-term players who have no shortage of chrons & credits, players can essentially get a 3-for-1 deal on the 950 dil Disco packs (and potentially speed up their next retrieval) by completing this entire midweek event.

The 3-for-1 deal comes down to spending the 950 dil and completing the 60 arena battles that would require 600 of that dil, as well as the event completion reward. If you see value in that Disco pack, that's not too bad. The other 2 Disco packs can obviously be acquired from spending chrons & credits, without requiring any dil.

Your points are valid.

But the kicker is with the “value” of the disco packs.

Perhaps, had this objective event been announced PRIOR to the launch of the disco collection and disco packs, there would have been more synergy in these items.

As it is, they released the disco collection and packs BEFORE the OE, so most people who were close to the next tier of the collection have already bought the disco packs to try and chase.

So in reality, the disco packs were de-valued by the chronology of wrg’s decisions in the past week.
  • Options
    This event also encourages the hoarding of resources, since it is implanting the idea that players need to have upwards of 10000000 (commas intentionally omitted) credits on hand to participate in events like these.

Nice job addressing your resource hoarding concerns, wrg.
  • Options
    This and the quantum OE are both targeted at semi-competitive to competitive long-time players that have hoarded *a lot* of resources over the years.

The difference is that the quantum OE will give you almost two legendaries of your choice, if you have the credits ready.

The beholds from this one would be great for a newer player, who could probably get a useful legendary out of each one, but for those players it would be less expensive to just purchase them with dilithium instead.

For a long-time player the rewards might just be worth it, if the pulls are lucky, but they could also be completely useless. Or they could be great in the unlikely chance that you get exactly the non-portal crew that you wanted.

It feels like the kind of thing that you do if you can do it, because *maybe* it will give you something worth a little bit more than the time and resources that you invested into it. It's definitely not exciting and it has a high chance of being very disappointing.

Lowering the number of arena battles to 30 or 40 and halving the number of chrons and credits would change that, while still requiring to waste dilithium on the most pointless feature of the game and draining resources (which seems to be its goal). If all-immortal beholds had a refresh option it would also feel different.

Thank you for this great feedback - it is appreciated.

Rereading it, I could have definitely phrased it in a more constructive way (I'm in a bad mood today due to real life stuff) but I'm happy if it was still somewhat useful :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Arena:
    This is the worst of the bunch. There is no way to earn arena tickets. The only way to complete this is to buy arena tickets. I also never have a stockpile of tickets because it's impossible to earn extra tickets. And after having to buy those tickets, I earn nothing from them. I am already ranking where I want to from my existing tickets. Using an extra 40 tickets doesn't improve my arena rank. And all I get from a higher rank is some extra schematics on a ship I already have finished. This forces me to click run just to see a battle play out for the sake of the event. It's just pushing a button for the sake of pushing a button. And having to spend DIL to do it. Of everything in the event this one feels the most like, "this aspect of the game is broken, we know we've given players no reason to play arena. Instead of fixing arena we are going to add an outside goal to push players to play arena just so we can show more players playing arena."

If arena was removed or changed to the win 18 battles I would feel a lot different about the event.

This!
  • Options
    Suggestion: make the reward for spending 72 dil the required 40 arena tickets to complete that objective. Players would still need to spend the same amount of dilithium, but wouldn't have to waste it on arena tickets, and can actually do something more useful with it.

That would make it 1000% better.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggestion: make the reward for spending 72 dil the required 40 arena tickets to complete that objective. Players would still need to spend the same amount of dilithium, but wouldn't have to waste it on arena tickets, and can actually do something more useful with it.

That would be great. Or spread it out over the other objectives. 10 tickets for 1k chrons, 10 tickets for 1m credits, 10 tickets for 20 arena, and 10 tickets for 72 dil.

Now it feels like you're earning your tickets not buying them. And because the Dil target is there you'd still have the same total Dil spend. But the player can spend the Dil in a more useful way than buying arena tickets
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Unnecessary comment removed .. ~Shan
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    OK, I just talked myself into it, I am curious to see how long it will take to buy 10,000,000 credits worth of Basic Reward Packs! Bring on those supremely excellent mixed beholds!

Not very. Prior to the Quantum OE, I’d save up my credits and spend them during honour sales.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @Bylo Band totally agree on gauntlet 👍

I hope those discovery packs work out for you🤞

If they have crew slot sale, I will spend the dil.
    But I just cannot bring myself to spend on extra arena tickets,

Also does anyone know yet if the second set of ticket bought with dil. cost 150.
    I have never bought extra arena tickets.
  • Options
    Well, the chance a Disco-behold will give me something usefull is very low. So I will spare my resources for the other OE's where I can target what I want.
  • Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    @Bylo Band totally agree on gauntlet 👍

I hope those discovery packs work out for you🤞

If they have crew slot sale, I will spend the dil.
    But I just cannot bring myself to spend on extra arena tickets,

Also does anyone know yet if the second set of ticket bought with dil. cost 150.
    I have never bought extra arena tickets.

2nd set only costs 150.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I look at this, the more this OE doesn't seem that bad. If you look at the Arena tickets purchase as a discounted DISCO pull (ie: 600 dil for the tickets instead of 950 dil for the pull), ok that could potentially work for me. And the Dilithium requirement is a buy-one-get-one-free deal; ok, seems reasonable. I'm holding onto a bunch of cards to FE, so we'll see how close I can get on the credit goal, but that might be a judgement call on if I'll finish it.

The one I'm having (personal) trouble with is the Chronitons. We have been given a lot of chances to use them over the last few months but less of a chance to replenish. While I still have a ton in reserve, I'm always thinking ahead. So I'm not sure if this is the best way to spend them; I prefer using them during the CR OEs. This also touches on credits, so it might not work for me.

To each their own, of course, but I think I'm going to partially do this one.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    I was able to put aside the required 10k chrons despite the skirmish event, and could still farm more than 10m credits during the event. Dil is obviously the bottleneck for a f2p player like me. But I'll go for it and hope for a 3x or 4x offer wall deal before the next crew slot sale so that I can recover the dil that I'm gonna fork out.
    All Discovery mixed beholds from the collection rewards gave me new crew, or stars for existing crew, so I'm very excited about this OE
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chronitons are not an issue at all to me. It is well worth the chance for a pull. So far, the pulls have been mostly worth it. Credits have never really been an issue and I used to easily drop 10 or 20 million around an honor sale. However, with the quantum mini event, credits are more important, so I'm not positive (but I'll probably do it). The problem for me is the dilithium. I have a lot saved, but is more than half what I need for 5 crew slots. And crew slots are very important to me. I'm disinclined to use my precious dilithium. Yes, those packs have good potential, but one of the five I got before was just honor. I prefer the surety of crew slots. But I wish others well. I may only partially participate, but I know why others like this.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm doing the math correctly (in my head, so I doubt it), spending 10K chrons (w/ a supply kit) can generate almost 1.4M credits. It's a start. (Just sharing this to help readers that might not have a sense of the conversion rate.)

Similarly, if you spend 10M credits via 90K credit pulls, you might generate about 8300 honor (111 pulls x 75 honor/pull, which is an average from my imagination but is probably close enough for this note). Quite useful for the honor sale for anyone needing an infusion.

If you have the chrons and credits to spare, this OE can reward 2x DMBs (Disco mixed beholds). If you can spare the 950 Dil, you can get 5x DMBs. Whether this is sufficiently valuable is entirely in the eye of the beholder. Good luck either way. If you don't have the resources, or don't want to spend them in the OE, then just enjoy the 4 valor.

Personally, I was originally going to be out on completing this OE, but reading this thread and weighing the cost-benefit has switched my view. But that's me - it's definitely not for everyone.