Home The Bridge

Typo in the Feb2023-Mar2023 Trill Mega-Event Announcement

2»

Comments

• I dunno what it may signify about the state of the game, but there were at least 13454 participants in this past event. I know because I was 13434 and 13459 was the furthest down the results would let me scroll.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno what it may signify about the state of the game, but there were at least 13454 participants in this past event. I know because I was 13434 and 13459 was the furthest down the results would let me scroll.

Not sure what the normal participants are for a new Galaxy. This could be lower {if it is} because it was a Rerun. Or, is that a normal number of players because people wanted Bashir? Be nice if there was some way to compare numbers across Events. Just for purposes of seeing where we are. Unfortunately, I doubt transparency would ever be that transparent. Not a dig at the devs. Most game companies probably would not share such info.

However, I would think maybe less than 15,000 {if it turned out to be that low} would be lower than previously for a Rerun. Maybe some players who finished lower will speak up and we can get a closer number.

Did you just do a few Craftings and then stopped once you secured the Community Rewards? Or did you aim for a certain point in the Threshold?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have a fleet mate that ranked 20429, so there were more than 15k playing. I finished 1444 with 459945VP. 1500 was probably around 450k and that is a decent indicator of competition. It was "clear thresholds, but not by much".
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • I feel badly complaining, but I just read the in-game email about the upcoming mega-event. The last two events in it are marked as starting February 2nd & February 9th. They should be marked as starting March 2nd & March 9th. Please correct. The newer players will be confused.

As long as we are at it you should have said “I feel bad complaining” not “I feel badly complaining” because it is an emotional feeling not a physical feeling.

"Badly" was the adverb modifying the verb "feel." "Bad" is an adjective, and can only modify nouns. While "feel" can be used as a noun, it wasn't in this case. The grammatically correct term is "badly."

I found a typo involving the dates. I pointed it out. Why this means people get to make fun of me for it doesn't make sense to me, but fine.
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think we’ve proven that we have too many grammar nerds playing the game and too few at WRG.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I feel badly complaining, but I just read the in-game email about the upcoming mega-event. The last two events in it are marked as starting February 2nd & February 9th. They should be marked as starting March 2nd & March 9th. Please correct. The newer players will be confused.

As long as we are at it you should have said “I feel bad complaining” not “I feel badly complaining” because it is an emotional feeling not a physical feeling.

"Badly" was the adverb modifying the verb "feel." "Bad" is an adjective, and can only modify nouns. While "feel" can be used as a noun, it wasn't in this case. The grammatically correct term is "badly."

I found a typo involving the dates. I pointed it out. Why this means people get to make fun of me for it doesn't make sense to me, but fine.

Since this thread is sufficiently derailed, I have to say that I side with Apollo on this one. "Bad" was describing what the person was feeling, not describing that person's ability to feel.

If I want to tell you how I am feeling, I would say "I feel bad". If I want to tell you about my inability to distinguish paper from plastic while blindfolded, I would say "I feel badly". See here, so this thread can get back on track.
  • MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have a fleet mate that ranked 20429, so there were more than 15k playing. I finished 1444 with 459945VP. 1500 was probably around 450k and that is a decent indicator of competition. It was "clear thresholds, but not by much".

Someone in my fleet was over 21107, if that helps anyone's estimates.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Did you just do a few Craftings and then stopped once you secured the Community Rewards? Or did you aim for a certain point in the Threshold?

I finished with 9070 VP, so whatever threshold that cleared is where I stopped. That low-hanging fruit is worth picking, but I could not make myself care enough to go beyond that.

I finished with 9070 VP, so whatever threshold that cleared is where I stopped. That low-hanging fruit is worth picking, but I could not make myself care enough to go beyond that.

I might have done even less than that. Except I went for Krem and Bashir. I finished somewhat higher......

To be honest, I think the adding a new Crew at 400k is probably why most who already had everything else went even that deep. It kind of feels like after 400k, I was moving up more spaces each time I checked, versus before 400k.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."

I might have done even less than that. Except I went for Krem and Bashir. I finished somewhat higher......

To be honest, I think the adding a new Crew at 400k is probably why most who already had everything else went even that deep. It kind of feels like after 400k, I was moving up more spaces each time I checked, versus before 400k.

Same. I initially popped into the Top 1500 not long after getting Krem around six hours before the end and didn't have to do much to stay there.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    I feel badly complaining, but I just read the in-game email about the upcoming mega-event. The last two events in it are marked as starting February 2nd & February 9th. They should be marked as starting March 2nd & March 9th. Please correct. The newer players will be confused.

Since this thread is sufficiently derailed, I have to say that I side with Apollo on this one. "Bad" was describing what the person was feeling, not describing that person's ability to feel.

If I want to tell you how I am feeling, I would say "I feel bad". If I want to tell you about my inability to distinguish paper from plastic while blindfolded, I would say "I feel badly". See here, so this thread can get back on track.

I stand corrected. Now will somebody please tell me how to delete this discussion, since the typos I pointed out in the first place have been corrected and I'm tired of being called names for being helpful, you ungrateful people?
  • Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »

I stand corrected. Now will somebody please tell me how to delete this discussion, since the typos I pointed out in the first place have been corrected and I'm tired of being called names for being helpful, you ungrateful people?

As far as I know, deleting a discussion is not possible. Once it gets posted, it’s there forever.

I didn’t notice anyone calling you names, to be honest. I did notice a few folks noting your own grammar issues in your post, which I found ironic.
  • RC Doggie [TRCM]RC Doggie [TRCM] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Navarch wrote: »

As far as I know, deleting a discussion is not possible. Once it gets posted, it’s there forever.

I didn’t notice anyone calling you names, to be honest. I did notice a few folks noting your own grammar issues in your post, which I found ironic.

Grammar nerd isn't a name? Whatever.

And no, it isn't "ironic" since my original post was about accuracy & not grammar. Were I correcting grammar and making grammatical errors, you'd be right. Irony is only possible when an action has consequences which have a nature opposite to those intended.
  • Webberoni wrote: »

I don't think you can delete an entire discussion here, just your own posts. To do that, click the little gear icon in the upper left corner. But worth noting, I just re-read this entire thread and only saw one instance that could even be construed as name-calling, and that was Navarch's quip, "Think we’ve proven that we have too many grammar nerds playing the game and too few at WRG." That was clearly generalized and directed at all of us who've participated in this bit of pedantry. I read the tone of all the posts to be in good fun. That's all I was going for with my bit about nausea terminology that I totally botched. It was all just playful razzing of one another. Still, I apologize if that was somehow hurtful.
    Navarch wrote: »

Grammar nerd isn't a name? Whatever.

And no, it isn't "ironic" since my original post was about accuracy & not grammar. Were I correcting grammar and making grammatical errors, you'd be right. Irony is only possible when an action has consequences which have a nature opposite to those intended.

I know people are going to find this actually ironic coming from me. But, please don't take kidding posts so seriously. I don't think anyone at all was trying to be mean to you. People make jokes about typos and grammar on here all the time. And I do not think any of them mean ill-will when they do it.

• weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    If we're still doing anecdotal evidence for the size of the player base, I have two pieces:
    [*]I cashed in a single item last weekend for access to the community rewards and ended up below 21000 (I think there may be thousands upon thousands of people who did likewise, mind)
    [*]I tanked Admiral division so hard in anticipation of "midweek event unleashed" coming back that I fell out of the rankings entirely, and on playing my first battle today (picking the opponent on the left, not the right) I'm now just above 33000.

I would guesstimate there's probably 50k of us, including semi-retired accounts that only pop up when something particularly piques their interest, and the churn of lower level players who give it a quick go and decide it's not for them.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I just did one thing to get the bonuses this week. I rarely compete on reruns.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame boredom on my first comment. But in my defense I was really bored. I also blame Futurama for giving me this quote:

m6a0wq0lsuwj.jpeg

Additionally, I blame lack of Hawaiian pizza. Yes I know about half here believe it to be an abomination but they don’t understand that heating the pineapple unlocks it’s sweetness and perfectly balances the acidity of the tomato sauce.

In conclusion, we were just having fun and not trying to make anyone feel ba… I will just stop it there.
    Let’s fly!
  • I blame boredom on my first comment. But in my defense I was really bored. I also blame Futurama for giving me this quote:

m6a0wq0lsuwj.jpeg

Additionally, I blame lack of Hawaiian pizza. Yes I know about half here believe it to be an abomination but they don’t understand that heating the pineapple unlocks it’s sweetness and perfectly balances the acidity of the tomato sauce.

In conclusion, we were just having fun and not trying to make anyone feel ba… I will just stop it there.

You lost me at Hawaiian pizza :#

Also, should you ever visit Italy, please don't mention Hawaiian pizza (I'm giving you this advice for your own good, even though some people who are more strictly Italian than me might also get physically ill themselves at the thought of pineapple on pizza :joy: )

As for one of the current topics of this conversation, I'm fairly sure that Navarch was making a joke regarding all the people derailing the thread, not the OP specifically (who didn't mention anything grammar-related in the original post).

That being said, for what little I added to this, I certainly didn't want anyone to feel like we were picking on them. I was just enjoying the randomness and the sharing of interesting and unrelated information and thoughts.

Banter should probably only happen among people who know each other well enough to know that it will be received as a joke, but I guess that's never really the case anywhere on the internet.

So, I don't know, life **tsk tsk**, the game is ending, let's all have pineapple on pizza and spaghetti with ketchup together, I guess... 🤷‍♀️
  • Now that @(HGH)Apollo has brought pizza into the conversation, and @Emperor Borg Drone (SC) has brought up standards for it, I'm obliged to share this. It's a tweet from ZeroStarReviews that shows an article from The Morning Post dated 17 December 1860 that I found fascinating. It starts off condescending, then becomes humorous, and ends up making a case for pizza as egalitarian. And what's more Star Trek-y than egalitarianism?
    @Emperor Borg Drone (SC) @(HGH)Apollo Well, I'm +1 for pineapple on pizza. I second the sweet with tomato. (I loved dried pineapple.) Sausage, onions, and pineapple are my standard order. Best barbecue sauce I've ever had had pineapple in it and anchovy paste. I also grew up on ketchup spaghetti. Didn't have sauce on it until I was an adult. Feel free to disregard any of my culinary opinions. I also eat cream of chicken soup cold from the can. I am not a picky eater.
    I rewatched "Facets" at the announcement and most of that character art is pretty good really. Bashir is the one that bugs me there. The face is too thin in a couple places, I think. I'd have to look at a screen cap. I haven't looked at the episodes for the 3 SRs. I may have to do that this week. I'm curious now. I do agree that something is off with Jadzia. I just can't place my finger on what.
  • Now that @(HGH)Apollo has brought pizza into the conversation, and @Emperor Borg Drone (SC) has brought up standards for it, I'm obliged to share this. It's a tweet from ZeroStarReviews that shows an article from The Morning Post dated 17 December 1860 that I found fascinating. It starts off condescending, then becomes humorous, and ends up making a case for pizza as egalitarian. And what's more Star Trek-y than egalitarianism?

"It is not considered good"

"[...] mozzarella, which is nothing more than rich cream"

"cake"

:#
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad reading this thread.......
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • I feel bad reading this thread.......

Maybe a slice of pizza could help you feel better :tongue:

ssvokukcjz7l.jpg

ssvokukcjz7l.jpg

Betterly*

ssvokukcjz7l.jpg

Betterly*

Betterest* 😝😜
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    @I do agree that something is off with Jadzia. I just can't place my finger on what.

She looks similar to Jadzia, but not like Jadzia. The eyes are "off" furthermore. And the face is kinda flat and without "depth". Since we had no Jadzia in a loooooooooong time I am quite disappointed with this card.

• Thank you all for your feedback and patience as always.

In regards to the original item that spawned this thread, we are sending a follow-up in-game correction.

With Shan's departure we have not been able to provide the same level of response and attention to this community as we have in years past. We are working on solutions as Ben and the team do need to be focusing their efforts outside of this important role of community management. Stay tuned.