Home The Bridge
Options

Things that hurt the game

In my opinion:

1. Bangate - this was a purge of many of the longterm players i knew. Everything in the game was deteriorating after this, including even competition, fleet stability, new player joining, etc.

2. Fleet boss battles - such awesome potential was completely overshadowed by the completely disregarded game crippling limitations of in game messaging, as well as many issues with fbb that were compounded by the poor comms. It was fun at first so i cant really say dead on arrival, but over time it has been more of a frustration than a source of fun and enjoyment.

Add yours!

Comments

• Options
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Trolls on the forums

You seriously think that sulus husband caused more harm to the game than wrg’s obliviousness?

What a joke. Even during “busy times” less than 50 people spend time here. Thats not even a meaningful percentage of the currently dwindling playerbase.

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Trolls on the forums

Then fracking stop.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    I'm sad in a way I missed the banning 😟
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I'm sad in a way I missed the banning 😟

Apparently it was for getting something right about WRG, rather than what she actually known for. She clashed with other players many times and nothing was done. Scored a critical hit on the company and was gone before she clicked "The Bridge" to exit the thread.

IIRC
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Veterinary Phlox Many thanks for that insight. It isn't as obvious on the phone version of the site but switching to desktop mode made it clear. I have already utilised it!
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew ✭✭✭
    I will agree with the OP to the extent that problems with the fleet communication do severely hamper our efforts to coordinate and progress- especially trying to move into Nightmare, which is an 'all hands on deck' situation, yet slightly less than 50% of our fleet ever seem to see the messages that we're going to try coordinating something.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew ✭✭✭
    That is fair; I joined the fleet after they were recruited and I'm just trying to rack up enough posts to post a recruitment here, so we can get less deadbeats. ;-) But a number of them I have been able to contact one on one, eventually, and they seem cooperative enough- just unaware of what's going on. It generally seems to be more ignorance than laziness (for instance, missing the message that '' we aren't going to start a Nightmare until after 10:00" and someone starts it early anyway.)
  • Options
    Jurati_whoaJurati_whoa ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    That is fair; I joined the fleet after they were recruited and I'm just trying to rack up enough posts to post a recruitment here, so we can get less deadbeats. ;-) But a number of them I have been able to contact one on one, eventually, and they seem cooperative enough- just unaware of what's going on. It generally seems to be more ignorance than laziness (for instance, missing the message that '' we aren't going to start a Nightmare until after 10:00" and someone starts it early anyway.)

This is our experience as well. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and when fleet members say they didnt know, and apologize, i accept that.

The issue for me is that this had been a promised fix for almost 6 months at this point. And we have suffered as a fleet for the delay.

Weve lost longtime players to retirement because of these issues. This is bad for the game in general, not just our fleet.

This is not an issue withfleet leadership, its an issue with in game comms.
  • Options
    It's moot anyway, but I think it fairer to say Princess Uhura hurt the forum more than the game itself. And even that was limited to the effect their antics had on anyone. I saw threads where players quote-replied to one another, circumventing including Princess Uhura's posts altogether.

As for things that hurt the game, it's pretty simple:
    • Making clumsy decisions (not all of which were inherently bad, to be fair)
    • Communicating poorly
    • Neither retaining older players or drawing in new ones.

I'm willing to let WRG off the hook for what they inherited from TP. But even under WRG's tenure, I lost track early of mistakes. They were exacerbated by defenses that amounted to "You what we mean." Clearly not, or there wouldn't have been thread after thread asking someone to tell us what the hell you meant. You know what's better than an apology? Thinking through in the first place. Timelines was predictable. I don't believe it must remain predictable, but I do think alterations to predictable things ought to be announced ahead of time. This current mega-event's pre-packs are a good example. Yeah, the announcement was made several days before the packs went live, but that announcement went out on a Friday and no one was around to address any questions until Monday.

Player fatigue is unavoidable for any game. I get that. But Timelines notoriously alienated a great many Day 1 players who weren't just big spenders; they were some of the key pillars of this forum community. We're fortunate that some of our pillars have stuck it out. And where's the new blood? Anecdotally, my fleet was once constantly at a max 50 players. We could replace an inactive player within an hour of creating the opening. We've struggled to maintain even 25, and realistically only about 15 actually active at any given time. I'd take that personally, except I've heard similar problems from a lot of other fleets. Either there are a lot of new players who create and join a fleet as soon as they can, or there just aren't enough interested in playing in the first place.

Do you want to know what piqued my interest in Timelines? Things that, if you'd pitched to me as comics or books would have made me yawn. That Ferengi-Kazon alliance. Mind you, I have always hated the Kazon. But the idea that those two factions could align--especially under Grand Nagus Rom--fascinated me. Game text referenced Mirror Emperor Spock and Romulan Empress Sela. Alexander Rozhenko resorted to becoming an Augment. There was a chance this game might offer something novel. Then came the asinine Canon Purity War of 2016, now in its seventh year, and we have to endure whining even when canonical content is added.

Lastly, I know the tutorial's been revamped since I joined, but I think it could stand to be revamped again. Stepping into the entire franchise can surely be intimidating, so starting off with some familiar faces would be inviting to me. It could even be written into the tutorial that both the Leonard Nimoy and Ethan Peck Spocks exist in this game, reassuring older players that this game includes content they want, too.
  • Options
    ÷ Dr. Claire Finn÷ Dr. Claire Finn ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    In my opinion:

1. Bangate - this was a purge of many of the longterm players i knew. Everything in the game was deteriorating after this, including even competition, fleet stability, new player joining, etc.

Add yours!

BanGate was the weirdest move ever. I mean who in authority okayed that move?

I’m the Founding Admiral of multiple big/well raked fleets I know players they were so squeaky clean who got banned from that I mean nobody meant any harm. If anything, it was WRG’s mistake and then they turned around and punished the players for their lack of QA/QC. Just WOW 😮

I wasn’t banned because it happened during work hours and I was busy working for The Man at the office, but still I was just stunned by somebody at WRG obviously just having a big temper tantrum. But it’s water under the bridge at this point.
    ÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew ✭✭✭

This is our experience as well. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and when fleet members say they didnt know, and apologize, i accept that.

The issue for me is that this had been a promised fix for almost 6 months at this point. And we have suffered as a fleet for the delay.

Weve lost longtime players to retirement because of these issues. This is bad for the game in general, not just our fleet.

This is not an issue withfleet leadership, its an issue with in game comms.

Unfortunately, in the Q&A yesterday, the dev team said this is 'not likely to be fixed.' We have been focusing on trying to get our fleet members to join discord, but then of course you run into the problem of 'have to be able to get in touch with them in the first place to let them know that...' :-)
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...And they have to have a device that will support the game and Discord, which I don't. I have NEVER gotten it to work on my Kindle. I'd have to use my laptop, which is a hassle at the best of times and not feasible on the go. Maybe we need to go after the chat company with bad reviews, etc. They will either fix it on their end or go under. I'm not picky. People in positions they are not competent for is my biggest pet peeve. Menial jobs exist for a reason. Some people need to find one and let someone else do their's.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I missed the ban of P U?
    I would come back for that!
  • Options
    Jenos IdanianJenos Idanian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »
    I missed the ban of P U?

They’re back. Under a pseudonym.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the ban of P U?

I think possibly a second pseudonym. A new name popped up over the weekend.
  • Options
    I missed the ban of P U?

My name is gladiator

• Options
    AndrewAndrew ✭✭✭
    ...And they have to have a device that will support the game and Discord, which I don't. I have NEVER gotten it to work on my Kindle. I'd have to use my laptop, which is a hassle at the best of times and not feasible on the go. Maybe we need to go after the chat company with bad reviews, etc. They will either fix it on their end or go under. I'm not picky. People in positions they are not competent for is my biggest pet peeve. Menial jobs exist for a reason. Some people need to find one and let someone else do their's.

Is that chat feature subcontracted out to a third party?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew ✭✭✭
    And yes, we do have several members who use tablets and have trouble with Discord, so we've certainly run into that same issue.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the ban of P U?

My name is gladiator

At the risk of derailing this thread: you seem to have the wrong name for that: https://gladiator.fandom.com/wiki/Maximus_Decimus_Meridius
  • Options
    Navarch wrote: »
    I missed the ban of P U?

My name is gladiator

At the risk of derailing this thread: you seem to have the wrong name for that

I know. Autocorrect changed it to that. I hit submit and realized it later. I’ve tried to change it to the correct name about ten times since but I keep getting an oops something went wrong message

• Options
    edited February 2023
    @STT Community do you know how I can change it?
  • Options
    @nan

How do you trigger a response from this chat bot? It doesn’t seem to be functioning beyond pre-programmed announcements. Or is that considered “working as intended”?
  • Options
    @nan

How do you trigger a response from this chat bot? It doesn’t seem to be functioning beyond pre-programmed announcements. Or is that considered “working as intended”?

Her name is N.A.N.C.I.!!!!!