Home The Bridge
Options

About Hull Damage Reduction being nerfed despite community warnings against it

Large segments of the community built around it due to the low barrier of entry. DB responded over the years that they wouldn't do anything to change how the ability functioned which was more than enough confirmation that it was working as intended. Then along came WRG. We warned WRG against nerfing this ability after the announcement months ago. The 9.2 update notes curiously failed to mention it ahead of time, most likely to avoid backlash and shoehorn it in and then ignore protestations after the fact because "what's done is done." That's a very political move, even if not a diplomatic one.

Down to the meat of the issue, this short-sighted bullrush into attempting to squeeze more nickels out of the community has nerfed the damage the vast majority of players are able to do to FBB by two-thirds, if not three-quarters. This is not the casual decision WRG is trying to pretend that it is and must come with some form of compensation in terms of reduced boss health or damage output, or more likely both.

Comments

• Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a nerf. The ability was not working as intended and as such was a long term bug. The ability was not meant to allow ships to be effectively invulnerable.

I wish they would focus on more urging long time bugs.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    It’s amazing how quickly they can move to fix something that hurts the bottom line and conversely, how long, if ever, it takes to fix something to improve the players experience

This is it exactly. DB knew of the "issue" with this skill for years. Brought to their attention many times and they explicitly said they didn't plan to do anything about it. Just means they were fine with it, so it moved from not working as intended to working as intended in that moment. They don't have to come out and say that it's working the way they want it to or not. If they know of the issue and decline to do anything about it, that immediately validates it. Now that WRG is at the helm, it's been one fiasco after the next driving things towards squeezing out more nickels without providing much in terms of improved player experience.
  • Options
    Our fleet sometimes managed to beat Ultra Boss. We awaited 9.2.0 for so long because of it's benefits for FBB and now we're off worse than before.... :(
  • Options
    KopaceticK[BART'S]KopaceticK[BART'S] ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I do not currently see an issue on 9.2 using 2 HR and a ship ISS Ent with the 40% HR. Bridge 20, no real tier boosts runs abt 30M per run, full 3 mins. What exactly are you seeing? Lower scores? Inability to last?

*edit* I had a strong def buff of 31% in tier, that kept me alive I think. the HR crew are not nerfed, but the 40% HR is. It is straight damage now, not a percent of percent like it was.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, I'm enjoying slicing up Proton ships in the arena!

Just in time for an oe with arena battles.
  • Options
    I do not currently see an issue on 9.2 using 2 HR and a ship ISS Ent with the 40% HR. Bridge 20, no real tier boosts runs abt 30M per run, full 3 mins. What exactly are you seeing? Lower scores? Inability to last?

*edit* I had a strong def buff of 31% in tier, that kept me alive I think. the HR crew are not nerfed, but the 40% HR is. It is straight damage now, not a percent of percent like it was.

That's because you are bridge level 20. A lot of ships work on that level, including Constellation and even Borg Cube But nobody is bridge level 20 in my fleet. We're mostly bridge level 15 and I only managed to get 10M with the ISS before getting killed. Before 9.2.0 you were able to survive the whole run with ISS Enterprise even with bridge level 9. So this patch is widening the gap between those who are bridge level 20 and those who aren't.
  • Options
    SupamarioanaSupamarioana ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    You can run Auto with the Constellation with 3 Hull Repair Crew plus a damage dealer and time out the boss.

True on bridge level 20. And when you are bridge level 20 you also have the Constellation maximized. What about those who have neither?
    I'm bridge level 15 with a 9/10 Constellation. I do about 9M damage with the Constellation while it was 20M with ISS Enterprise before 9.2.0.
  • Options
    You can run Auto with the Constellation with 3 Hull Repair Crew plus a damage dealer and time out the boss.

True on bridge level 20. And when you are bridge level 20 you also have the Constellation maximized. What about those who have neither?
    I'm bridge level 15 with a 9/10 Constellation. I do about 9M damage with the Constellation while it was 20M with ISS Enterprise before 9.2.0.

What you need is a big hull to survive with 3 HRs. From bigbook.app, top hull ships at 10/10.

9vhrqtoyb1rm.png

• Options
    SupamarioanaSupamarioana ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Thank you for the table. I just don't have any of these ships at 10/10. The ISS Enterprise is one of the easiest ships to obtain from Dabo and Voyages. That's why I think that the nerf is hurting a lot of people who just have no alternative.
    With Bridge level 20 you can use the Borg Cube, but with the nerfed ISS it got a lot harder to reach level 20...
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    They introduce a new mechanic which is infantalised by an existing bug and you guys are complaining it was fixed? What's the point of a game where you are given a new puzzle to solve and the answer is to press the 'I win' button on a ship everyone has already?

Do you know what makes Voyages great? Progression, getting a little further every week, month, year. Other mechanics should be like that, not just piñata's that spill progress because everyone already has the key to it.

And giving out about haves and have nots in a fundamentally pay to win game is delusional. If you aren't already on level 20 you were already a have not. Loads of fleets are doing Ultra-Nightmare regularly. All that FBB did was redefine what have not was, in this case you have to have a good fleet, no more just hanging with your friends. That's where FBB was broken right at the beginning.

The problem with FBB isn't that there was a cookie cutter strategy to fight it, it's that there was no way to progress without it. I don't know if adding more Biltrium 1 to the lower tiers of loot is going to help, but that is what they need to improve. They should also remove the possibility of the boss fight ending before the first tier of rewards, that guarantees progression, it's just how fast you can do it that matters.

Then all they have to do is ignore it as a mechanic like Gauntlet and the gap between haves and have nots will disappear in time.

FBB as it stands is fundamentally a boring mechanic that destroys casual fleets. Fix that or none of this moaning matters one bit.
  • Options
    AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    On the other hand, I'm enjoying slicing up Proton ships in the arena!
    And what about 5* D'Koras?
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    They introduce a new mechanic which is infantalised by an existing bug and you guys are complaining it was fixed? What's the point of a game where you are given a new puzzle to solve and the answer is to press the 'I win' button on a ship everyone has already?

Winning with an HDR ship was 3 minutes of grinding tedium. Its hardly an 'I win' button. Using an Artifact is 'I win' button.

I don't mind they fixed the bug but the game needs a way to obtain additional schematics so people can get a variety of ships.

In the meantime I would also buff the Roddenberry's health to about 800K. You pretty much gave away a 10/10 to everyone at time of release and it will be an OK starter ship for FBB at that health level.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    I don't mind they fixed the bug but the game needs a way to obtain additional schematics so people can get a variety of ships.
    Like the month long objective event we soon get?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Artifact at level 9, and it survives fine. The Phoenix is good, too, depending on crew.

The problem is that thise schematics are so hard to find. In the past year or so, I can only recall getting Artifact schematics once in a premium pull. I've needed just over 100 to get to level 10 since the last time the Artifact was the reward in the arena.

I'm not saying that they are intentionally limiting how likely the Artifact schematics are. But if they *were* trying to limit it, I can't see how it would be much different.

But the reality is that this new Boss Battles feature was never intended to have players surviving for the full three minutes and scoring 20 to 30 million points at a time. I believe they intended to have people last long enough that the players with the best crews would get maybe 10 million each time and buy more tickets to get the best rewards.

Personally, I spent the first few months working hard for the best crew possible and carefully using crew retrieval. Since then, I just hit a couple buttons every few hours and set my phone down while I collect 20 million points for my fleet. Then I collect my winnings three times every two days.

I understand why they don't want to give out the best ship schematics. But at some point the players will assume it is hopeless and stop trying.
  • Options
    With Artifact you can survive the full three minutes and get 30 million damage with no buffs. But as you said, it’s a matter of getting it maxed
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avatrunei wrote: »
    Like the month long objective event we soon get?

The extra Constellations will help some people but it’s mostly just a way to dump a bunch of Bridge materials into people’s laps. And 5000 merits. I’m doing it for the latter.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying that they are intentionally limiting how likely the Artifact schematics are. But if they *were* trying to limit it, I can't see how it would be much different.

Artifact was an arena award shortly after FBB was released. So it’s unlikely they were trying to limit it. I didn’t max out on rewards but I probably got about 3000 schematics and got me to L9. I got L10 shortly thereafter from free premium pulls.

I think I tried one out at L7 but didn’t really go back to it till I hit L9 and it became my default lazy ship. With Scotty and 3x25% repair it would reliably score close to 20M damage even then.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Artifact was an arena award shortly after FBB was released. So it’s unlikely they were trying to limit it. I didn’t max out on rewards but I probably got about 3000 schematics and got me to L9. I got L10 shortly thereafter from free premium pulls.

I think I tried one out at L7 but didn’t really go back to it till I hit L9 and it became my default lazy ship. With Scotty and 3x25% repair it would reliably score close to 20M damage even then.

I think I've gotten artifact schematics to drop once since FBB launched. I don't think they intentionally limited it. But just another case of RNG gating everything causes problems for gameplay.
  • Options
    AvatruneiAvatrunei ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    AviTrek wrote: »
    I think I've gotten artifact schematics to drop once since FBB launched. I don't think they intentionally limited it. But just another case of RNG gating everything causes problems for gameplay.
    I don't think it either. I have it 10/10 and think it's simply bad RNG. Like Bylo Band had it with his hunt for First Flight Archer. Winning like a Duracell bunny didn't help him anything.

But some schematics got really hard to get after Admiral's Division got a very long time only the oldest. And now, out of a sudden, we get a brand-new Bozeman.
  • Options
    ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I assume this bug was the reason I'd always find Proton ships hanging on at 1/2% hull after my initial barrage, then wiping me out?

If so, I'm glad it's been fixed (I still use Proton in FBB myself though)!
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭

That's because you are bridge level 20. A lot of ships work on that level, including Constellation and even Borg Cube But nobody is bridge level 20 in my fleet. We're mostly bridge level 15 and I only managed to get 10M with the ISS before getting killed. Before 9.2.0 you were able to survive the whole run with ISS Enterprise even with bridge level 9. So this patch is widening the gap between those who are bridge level 20 and those who aren't.

Yep, I've finished half the OE and completed Bridge Level 9 today. I've previously timed out the boss before. I made ~9m and 9.6m in two damage runs today. I was hoping that this OE would help the rest of my Fleet buff their Bridges enough that we could really make a dent in Nightmare (we've never made 75%- best is 66%) or even beat it finally. If I, as a long term player and one of the top damage dealers for us, am seeing this sort of reduction, the rest of my Fleet is really going to hurt. I can only pray this gets rerun from time to time. My Fleet needs Bitrium II to get Bitrium II.🙀
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the endurance event, I'm now at Bridge Level 10.
    I'm now using Proton Rocket with 3 HR crew and a damage dealer, lasting the whole run and getting approx 10M.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266