Home The Bridge
Options

About Hull Damage Reduction being nerfed despite community warnings against it

13»

Comments

• Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially with the addition of the whale Campaign track and the pay crew in the webstore, I don't think I can agree with your disagreement. Prior to WRG, the only thing that whales really had an advantage in were faction events. Everyone else could manage to be competitive in other event types. It could be argued that whales could be competitive every week, but if you aren't a whale then you needed to pick and choose the events you wanted to compete in. Only the good crew or the ones you really wanted. The rest, you just waited and built up. All of this is the same as it is now. Nothing has changed.

If you want to argue that DB was whale focused because of this, so be it. But none of that went away with WRG. Instead, more avenues to whale were added instead. Just because the current whales don't think the rewards are worth it doesn't mean that can't be tweaked. The rewards are flexible at the flick of a switch.

I suspect that we’re slightly talking past each other here. When I think of a whale, I’m thinking of someone who has spent thousands of dollars chasing various cards over the years. And yes, those folks have played Timelines, though they seem to decline in number each year. Getting rid of the Tuesday packs is one thing that has annoyed these whales, since they’re now victims of RNG like the rest of us.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you are saying that WRG has prioritized transactions between $5 and $50. I cannot dispute that. Late stage DB (2019-2020) and WRG both targeted these price points a lot.

I recognize that for many people spending $30/month on a game is a lot, but I don’t consider people who are buying just the monthly card and campaign whales. I consider people who have basically every card in game immortalized, manage top 100 performances consistently, or have hundreds of thousands of dilithium in their accounts (if they’re vip 14) to be whales.

• Options
    *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navarch wrote: »
    Especially with the addition of the whale Campaign track and the pay crew in the webstore, I don't think I can agree with your disagreement. Prior to WRG, the only thing that whales really had an advantage in were faction events. Everyone else could manage to be competitive in other event types. It could be argued that whales could be competitive every week, but if you aren't a whale then you needed to pick and choose the events you wanted to compete in. Only the good crew or the ones you really wanted. The rest, you just waited and built up. All of this is the same as it is now. Nothing has changed.

If you want to argue that DB was whale focused because of this, so be it. But none of that went away with WRG. Instead, more avenues to whale were added instead. Just because the current whales don't think the rewards are worth it doesn't mean that can't be tweaked. The rewards are flexible at the flick of a switch.

I suspect that we’re slightly talking past each other here. When I think of a whale, I’m thinking of someone who has spent thousands of dollars chasing various cards over the years. And yes, those folks have played Timelines, though they seem to decline in number each year. Getting rid of the Tuesday packs is one thing that has annoyed these whales, since they’re now victims of RNG like the rest of us.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you are saying that WRG has prioritized transactions between $5 and $50. I cannot dispute that. Late stage DB (2019-2020) and WRG both targeted these price points a lot.

I recognize that for many people spending $30/month on a game is a lot, but I don’t consider people who are buying just the monthly card and campaign whales. I consider people who have basically every card in game immortalized, manage top 100 performances consistently, or have hundreds of thousands of dilithium in their accounts (if they’re vip 14) to be whales.

pxdmtvxfkkr5.gif
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting rid of the Tuesday packs is one thing that has annoyed these whales, since they’re now victims of RNG like the rest of us.

Tuesday packs aren't RNG? You have a 3% chance of getting the 5* you want.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

Getting rid of the Tuesday packs is one thing that has annoyed these whales, since they’re now victims of RNG like the rest of us.

It's easier to swarm a Tue pack throwing dil at it until you get the crew. There is only so much you can do to increase your odds in gauntlet/voyages.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

It's easier to swarm a Tue pack throwing dil at it until you get the crew. There is only so much you can do to increase your odds in gauntlet/voyages.

Yeah but that makes the game less whale friendly. Which makes me wonder what the WRG conspiracists who like to complain about WRG’s “greed” are talking about.

The new Tuvok seems pretty friendly to a variety of people. If I froze my quantum purchases, I could buy him if he shows up. For whales they can reset the store as often as they would like. Seems a little more certain than buying ~25 packs which gives a 50% chance to get a 5*.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about proving my point for me.

dqt40tjbv3r8.png
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Yeah but that makes the game less whale friendly. Which makes me wonder what the WRG conspiracists who like to complain about WRG’s “greed” are talking about.

The new Tuvok seems pretty friendly to a variety of people. If I froze my quantum purchases, I could buy him if he shows up. For whales they can reset the store as often as they would like. Seems a little more certain than buying ~25 packs which gives a 50% chance to get a 5*.

I'd agree with this sentiment, the faction store has potential now, perhaps even becoming a viable alternative to crew retrieval and the dreaded all immortal begolds, if there is a specific legendary you are hunting for and this would be just as favourable for non whales. the dilithium cost is about right it equates to about a month and half (monthly card), honor citation takes about a month to earn, crew retrieval again could take a month or more (constellations/polestars, quantum etc).
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO