Home The Bridge
Options

Is Picard going to dominate the Gauntlet?

Mirror Picard has one of the highest CMD proficiencies in the game, with an average roll around 500. The few who can best him are the extremely expensive Kahless (average 560), a somewhat rare sight due to the massive Honour investment, or time-limited legendaries like Admiral Nechayev (~480), Revolutionary Damar (~510) or Enabran Taim (~510).

I might be missing someone, but the list is very short and is mostly very exclusive legendaries, while Picard is going to be given to basically everyone in the game (even relative noobs can get a 1/5* Picard with little investment, I reckon).

Now, it is true that the other proficiencies aren't equally broken. His SEC is perfectly average, and his SCI is so laughable you might as well forget about it. But so what? I see hordes of Mirror Phloxes in each Gauntlet round, despite Phlox's SEC being even lower than Mirror Picard's. On top of that, Picard has many Gauntlet-friendly traits. I see no reason why players won't use him in a multitude of matches.

So, are you expecting to see Doom-Walls-of-Picards in your Gauntlet? Are you ready for it?

And most of all, is DB going to do anything to prevent the absolute staleness in the Gauntlet, now that they are about to give a top-proficiency crew to virtually every player?
"Dance with me. For science."

Comments

• Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumar and Tain are a pain in the butt to level, I do have Nechayev and Kahless though. Picard will be a lovely CMD addition for sure. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Dumar and Tain are a pain in the butt to level, I do have Nechayev and Kahless though. Picard will be a lovely CMD addition for sure. :)

Not the point? I'm wondering whether Picard is going to lead to an all-new level of staleness in the Gauntlet, whether it's inevitable, and what could be done.

I'm sure that many of us are very happy to receive Picard. Say, for me: you currently have an advantage over me because you have Nechayev and I don't. But as soon as I have Picard... you basically lose that advantage, as I suddenly have someone equally good. I mean, you stop having an advantage over players who started playing one month ago. It is a lovely addition for sure.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picard - depending on the bonus traits - will surely be on par with Nechayev, Damar and Tain, if not a little better. He will however not reach Kahless without bonus traits that match. I hope Picard is not gunna be too hard to level.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I'm expecting a wall of Picards in the gauntlet by the weekend. I mean, he'll definitely be my highest CMD roll.
  • Options
    To answer the question: No, he will not dominate the Gaunlet.
    You will see him there for sure, like a bunch of other Chars that you see regularly, but no more.
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    I fully expect to see walls of Mirror Picard just as I already see walls of Locutus, walls of Mirror Phlox, walls of Seven of Nine, and increasingly walls of Bartender Guinan.

Gauntlet can quickly become pointless (and a huge merit drain via refreshes) if you don't yourself have these characters at your disposal.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Khaless so I doubt it. Also with the new Prof rooms well probably see the top fleets dominating the gauntlet which I think is more of a problem.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    No.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    I have Khaless so I doubt it. Also with the new Prof rooms well probably see the top fleets dominating the gauntlet which I think is more of a problem.

My guess is that this is already a problem, as those top fleets generally consist exclusively of players who have the strongest crew members anyway. Making their crews better will just add some inflation to the issue.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    Khalass is still better in my opinion but this will give a good option especially if traits fall into place. This will allow newer players to be more competitive though in gauntlet if they don't have him.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not. Three skill crew are far more important but only when they have 3 useful rolls. Picard's science roll is pathetic and makes him a liability. Likely the only time I would consider taking him is if he had at least a 45% crit. Otherwise there are far better crew to take that have the same or better average rolls across all skills.
  • Options
    People still play the gauntlet?
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I fully expect to see walls of Mirror Picard just as I already see walls of Locutus, walls of Mirror Phlox, walls of Seven of Nine, and increasingly walls of Bartender Guinan.

Gauntlet can quickly become pointless (and a huge merit drain via refreshes) if you don't yourself have these characters at your disposal.

2 points:

- for those of us who studied Latin, I really do prefer when it is referred to as a wall of Locuti ;)

- I recently encountered a wall I had never seen before (please see attached screenshots), which leads me to think there are many other players like me who have not received the elusive Bartender Guinan drop
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    The few who can best him are the extremely expensive Kahless (average 560), a somewhat rare sight due to the massive Honour investment

If he's so rare then why do I see him all the time?

VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    A new character that arguably not even top 5 amongst CMD characters is certainly not going to dominate gauntlet. I'll be airlocking him, so that's one less person that you will have to worry about.
  • Options
    I'm all in favor of new dominant characters in the gauntlet, especially since I don' t have Kahless
  • Options
    No.

This.

I don't get the OP suggesting a new character will lead to more "staleness" either. New stuff freshens up, right?
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I might be missing someone, but the list is very short and is mostly very exclusive legendaries, while Picard is going to be given to basically everyone in the game (even relative noobs can get a 1/5* Picard with little investment, I reckon).

This is pay to win! Every noob with money can get every crew he wants!
  • Options
    psst, each gauntlet round has 2 skills. there are a total 15 pairs. his CMD + SEC average is on par with some strong crew, but it isn't top and it's just 1 pair. unless he's at 45% or 65% crit, he will be a handicap compared to other crew that cover 3 pairs.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and yes. He'll be a regular addition, but not being the top character will help him be less of a wall, and having that terrible third roll will suppress him too.

When Mirror Phlox made an appearance in Borg month, I knew his wall was only a short time away. Gunshow Picard will be a brick in the wall next between Kahless and Nachayev.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    psst, each gauntlet round has 2 skills. there are a total 15 pairs. his CMD + SEC average is on par with some strong crew, but it isn't top and it's just 1 pair. unless he's at 45% or 65% crit, he will be a handicap compared to other crew that cover 3 pairs.

Weirdly he's a double threat in the Gauntlet. On CMD/SEC his 720 avg is enough to make him 11th best. On CMD/SCI his 550 avg is enough to make him 12th best.

Since he does have a boatload of traits he may be at 25/45 a lot. By way of comparison Mirror Phlox looks dangerous because of his massive average roll but I don't think I've ever seen him with more than 25% crit and usually not even that.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Yea I think people have been severely underestimating how useful he will be in gauntlet. CMD/SCI just isn't a super common combo like CMD/SEC is, so he will be just as useful in CMD/SCI despite the weak SCI stats.
  • Options
    People still play the gauntlet?

What? You don’t need 3* trainers? LOL
  • Options
    Not anymore so than the current gauntlet with its seas of Locutus, Mirror Phlox, Guinans etc. Its just a simple fact that some characters are going to be better than others (complete lack of internal balancing but there it is).

Someone must have left the door unlocked at a Dominion cloning lab. You thought them activating another Weyoun clone after one died was bad, wait until you see Mirror Phlox 500!
  • Options
    He'll be another option. We might see a screen full of Mirror Picards like we do with Mirror Phloxes, but Kahless is still right there to grab with honor. I'll run him in command skill gauntlets and if his traits are working.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭

This is honestly my concern.
    While those whale fleets do have some of the best crew already, any other person who happens to have chanced upon a good (or a good few) crew member(s) will still stand equal footing. Now with prof plus, people not in fleets don't stand a chance. And people in fleets which are slower to build the prof rooms will also suffer for a while until they can catch up. I kind of want to say that Gauntlet should not be affected by the proficiency rooms in a fleet's starbase.

Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

This is honestly my concern.
    While those whale fleets do have some of the best crew already, any other person who happens to have chanced upon a good (or a good few) crew member(s) will still stand equal footing. Now with prof plus, people not in fleets don't stand a chance. And people in fleets which are slower to build the prof rooms will also suffer for a while until they can catch up. I kind of want to say that Gauntlet should not be affected by the proficiency rooms in a fleet's starbase.

Fleets work hard on those rooms. I think that's a really selfish idea. Your fleet has just as much of a chance to work those rooms as anyone else. I don't have a "whale" fleet, we have a lot free to play players, but we get stuff built. You don't need to spend money. You just need 50 active players that hit their daily targets and donate.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Kahless, and I don't even want Picard for gauntlet. I want him for that sweet voyage total.