Home Ready Room

Behold advice thread for new forum members who can't create a thread yet

Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ready Room
After seeing someone post a question in a thread that had nothing to do with Behold advice, I thought I'd make this, so folks like that have somewhere to go.

This is for anyone who cannot create a new thread here, for whatever reason. Please post your questions in this thread, and hopefully some kind soul will get back to you. :)

(And this should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: to anyone who replies with advice to those who are seeking it, please be sure to either quote that person's post, or mention them by name, so it's clear who is being replied to.)

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youre a good man Data. I can start out by saying unless you’re a big fan of one choice and want that crew, always go for more stars on someone you already have
  • I don't know why I can't post a new thread as I did when the new forums came up initially. Anyways here are my questions.. on honor.
    I have 50k honor now and am trying to figure out how to best use it. I am a monthly pass player.

Characters of note:
    4/5 Guidan
    4/5 T'Kuvma
    4/5 Kortar
    7 1/5 characters including Kahless and Mirror Picard

3/4 Tuvix
    3/4 Captain Janeway
    3/4 Dahar Master Kor
    3/4 Drone Seven of Nine
    3/4 General Martok
    3/4 Advocate Kolos
    3/4 Reinforcements Stamets
    3/4 Captain Sulu
    3/4 Martia
    3/4 Commander Chapel

13 2/4's

37 1/4's

I am between finishing some 4/5's, most likely kortar or putting a star on picard with assumption of finishing by the end of mega-event versus going for a super rare citation or maybe even behold in an effort to start working on the 4 stars that are taking up about half of my crew space (I have 125 spots).

What are your thoughts? Also what about using super rare beholds instead of super rare citations to save on honor (10% savings)?

One other question:
    How many characters should I save for each combined attribute? i.e. keep top 7 or top 9?

Thanks in advance,
    Picard
  • I don't know why I can't post a new thread as I did when the new forums came up initially. Anyways here are my questions.. on honor.
    I have 50k honor now and am trying to figure out how to best use it. I am a monthly pass player.

Characters of note:
    4/5 Guidan
    4/5 T'Kuvma
    4/5 Kortar
    7 1/5 characters including Kahless and Mirror Picard

3/4 Tuvix
    3/4 Captain Janeway
    3/4 Dahar Master Kor
    3/4 Drone Seven of Nine
    3/4 General Martok
    3/4 Advocate Kolos
    3/4 Reinforcements Stamets
    3/4 Captain Sulu
    3/4 Martia
    3/4 Commander Chapel

13 2/4's

37 1/4's

I am between finishing some 4/5's, most likely kortar or putting a star on picard with assumption of finishing by the end of mega-event versus going for a super rare citation or maybe even behold in an effort to start working on the 4 stars that are taking up about half of my crew space (I have 125 spots).

What are your thoughts? Also what about using super rare beholds instead of super rare citations to save on honor (10% savings)?

One other question:
    How many characters should I save for each combined attribute? i.e. keep top 7 or top 9?

Thanks in advance,
    Picard

I'd/I use 4* citations on only the very best crew: unless they have a skill in the 900+ range I wouldn't bother.

As for your 5*s, Guinan is really good for voyages, as you can never have enough medical crew for those. Of the rest: I'd go for Picard.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

One other question:

Thanks in advance,
    Picard

I'd/I use 4* citations on only the very best crew: unless they have a skill in the 900+ range I wouldn't bother.

As for your 5*s, Guinan is really good for voyages, as you can never have enough medical crew for those. Of the rest: I'd go for Picard.

I would suggest Kortar for a Legendary citation, if you are going to use one at all right now, that is. His SEC and CMD both jump almost 200 points from 4/5 to 5/5. He will be a powerful addition to your crew, once immortalized.

As far as using Honor for Beholds, that can be fun (I imagine... I've never done it myself), and if you don't have a lot of 5* crew, odds are you'll end up with somebody new and hopefully exciting.

But I still think a Legendary citation is a better purchase, in general. And as BSG said, it might make sense to use a super-rare citation if that crew member has some great stats — for that, you can check the wiki or this handy wiki interface, the STT Crew Cost Finder.

However, if you're using some of your monthly card Dilithium to run slightly longer Voyages — in the 8 to 12 hour range — then you might get those 4's fully fused without a citation. The exception being those crew who haven't yet shown up in the Voyage loot table (of which there's a list here on the forums, but I'm too lazy to find it for you right now, lol).

How many characters to save for each combined attribute — well, that's when it gets tricky and more complex. There are plenty of resources here on the forums and the wiki that can help you make that call, such as the Do Not Airlock Checklist, but I'd say that in general, as long as you have one or two crew who are strong in each of the skills (and ones that are strong in two skills obviously being preferable), you won't run into too much trouble. Then, of course, you also need to make sure your skills are covered by 3* crew (for the weekend advanced cadet challenges) and 2* crew (for the weekday cadet challenges)... and again, there are threads, spreadsheets and other info available which will help you in making sure you've got those covered.

• Ty both. I've been promoted to lvl 2 so I bet I can post now. Thanks to forum mods.

I've been holding onto top 8 in each category, maybe it's time to scale back.
  • Ty both. I've been promoted to lvl 2 so I bet I can post now. Thanks to forum mods.

I've been holding onto top 8 in each category, maybe it's time to scale back.

It's kind of a thing you have to play by feel. If I look through and see a crewmember I haven't used in a while for voyages or shuttles, probably time to freeze.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @Jean-Luck Picard

Personally, I would use Honor to buy a star for Picard ... I did just that actually, but I've hardly spent any Honor, so still have quite a handful left ... anyway, my reasoning:

- He'll be good during the upcoming Mirror events no matter what.
    - After the events ... his base stats are not bad so can easily be of use for CMD/SEC shuttle spots.
    - His SEC and CMD rolls are good so you could use him in the Gauntlet if you need help there.
    - Three skills so will be of use in Voyages for sure.
    - Picard is often featured in events so chances are he'll be event crew in the future and if there are re-runs of event featuring Picard you've got that extra boost.

If you compare that to your other 4/5s ... T'Kuvma only has 2 skills, Kortar and Guinan won't likely feature in too many events (though Kortar does get to feature in Klingon events) ... etc.

Anyway, I've managed to level him since this past Saturday, he's got a couple of irritating items (e.g. his 5* uniform) but in general he's like most 5*s in difficulty and I've levelled a lot worse.

Another consideration is if you're having crew space issues, use Honor to FF a 4* for cryo (e.g. Martok, Janeway or Sulu ... Seven you'll have FF by the end of the month!) ... Do not use it on Tuvix, it is cheaper to use 3* citations on Neelix/Tuvok.
    However, Voyages have become an excellent source of 4*s for many (not me unfortunately) so I'd think long and hard about getting a 4* citation.
  • One sneaky good thing with Mirror Picard is you can have him be a "science officer" on Voyages.
  • Ace BoogieAce Boogie ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    @Jean-Luck Picard

Personally, I would use Honor to buy a star for Picard ... I did just that actually, but I've hardly spent any Honor, so still have quite a handful left ... anyway, my reasoning:

- He'll be good during the upcoming Mirror events no matter what.
    - After the events ... his base stats are not bad so can easily be of use for CMD/SEC shuttle spots.
    - His SEC and CMD rolls are good so you could use him in the Gauntlet if you need help there.
    - Three skills so will be of use in Voyages for sure.
    - Picard is often featured in events so chances are he'll be event crew in the future and if there are re-runs of event featuring Picard you've got that extra boost.

If you compare that to your other 4/5s ... T'Kuvma only has 2 skills, Kortar and Guinan won't likely feature in too many events (though Kortar does get to feature in Klingon events) ... etc.

Anyway, I've managed to level him since this past Saturday, he's got a couple of irritating items (e.g. his 5* uniform) but in general he's like most 5*s in difficulty and I've levelled a lot worse.

Another consideration is if you're having crew space issues, use Honor to FF a 4* for cryo (e.g. Martok, Janeway or Sulu ... Seven you'll have FF by the end of the month!) ... Do not use it on Tuvix, it is cheaper to use 3* citations on Neelix/Tuvok.
    However, Voyages have become an excellent source of 4*s for many (not me unfortunately) so I'd think long and hard about getting a 4* citation.

I agree with all of this except when was the last time we had a Picard event? It’s been too long.
    Ace Boogie wrote: »
    I agree with all of this except when was the last time we had a Picard event? It’s been too long.

Yeah ... we had 4-5 in the first 6 months ... since then, none. But he's still the most likely to see use in future events. :)
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Ace Boogie wrote: »

Yeah ... we had 4-5 in the first 6 months ... since then, none. But he's still the most likely to see use in future events. :)

Do you mean the first 6 months of this year? As it was a while and some serious forum angst before we finally got a Picard event if you're talking about the first 6 months of the game. The very first event was in March of 2016 but the first Picard event wasn't until Convergence Day, the 1 year Anniversary of the official Public launch of the game. (Jan 12, 2017). The next one was The Big Sting (April 2017), followed by Resistance during the Borg Event (May 2017) and the Triskelion Tournament (June 2017).

Pallidyne wrote: »

Do you mean the first 6 months of this year? As it was a while and some serious forum angst before we finally got a Picard event if you're talking about the first 6 months of the game. The very first event was in March of 2016 but the first Picard event wasn't until Convergence Day, the 1 year Anniversary of the official Public launch of the game. (Jan 12, 2017). The next one was The Big Sting (April 2017), followed by Resistance during the Borg Event (May 2017) and the Triskelion Tournament (June 2017).

Yeah, I meant this year ... I've got a Robin Hood and a Detective Dixon on my roster, they're probably from those events. Anyway, my point was only, Picard has events to his name and it is a safe bet that he will probably get more in the future (or his events will be re-run), more than the other 5*s listed.
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get a Picard event as I have most of them now (just missing C.O.P. Founder and Smitten).
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how people post the choices. When you get a behold (I've had 2 for 4*) don't you have to choose right then? How long will it wait for you?
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long will it wait for you?

Forever. If you shut down the game, timeout while you're researching in another app, hard crash, whatever - when you next restart, you'll be presented with the behold screen immediately. You won't be able to interact with the game at all until you make your choice, but otherwise you can defer it indefinitely.
    Great. Thanks.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I was trying to figure out how to start a thread and found this one. I've been lurking for almost a year but never tried posting before.

*Edit* If anyone sees this and can let me know how to post a new thread, that would be helpful and appreciated. LLAP
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I was trying to figure out how to start a thread and found this one. I've been lurking for almost a year but never tried posting before.

*Edit* If anyone sees this and can let me know how to post a new thread, that would be helpful and appreciated. LLAP

These new forums were set up to address a problem we had on the old forums with spammers who would create dozens and dozens of threads in a night. So now, anyone who signs up for these new ones has to wait a couple days to post, and also needs a certain number of "points" (which I have helped you achieve by "awesomeing" your post — though you might need one more person to do so before you can start a thread).

Hope that helps!

Data1001 wrote: »

These new forums were set up to address a problem we had on the old forums with spammers who would create dozens and dozens of threads in a night. So now, anyone who signs up for these new ones has to wait a couple days to post, and also needs a certain number of "points" (which I have helped you achieve by "awesomeing" your post — though you might need one more person to do so before you can start a thread).

Hope that helps!

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Seems like that might be something that should be in a sticky somewhere. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach...
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Seems like that might be something that should be in a sticky somewhere. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach...

If you aren't able to post a new thread soon, you could always try replying to this thread...

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/1508/cannot-create-a-thread-yet-but-have-an-issue-please-post-here#latest

...and asking Shan (from DB) for help. She will likely get you set up nicely. :)

Most helpful. Thank you again.
  • Hi guys
    Just pulled a behold.
    P worf alien head
    Suliban Reed
    One

I only have Picard. Tkvuma, kahless 1/5 andcartrght 1/5.
    Who do you think I should take? I'm weak on eng, so thinking of one!
    Thanks alot
  • Worf might be getting you bang for your buck with base stats but Reed has a good roll as well.
    Hi guys
    Just pulled a behold.
    P worf alien head
    Suliban Reed
    One

I only have Picard. Tkvuma, kahless 1/5 andcartrght 1/5.
    Who do you think I should take? I'm weak on eng, so thinking of one!
    Thanks alot

Do you prefer voyages, shuttles, gauntlet, or arena? I have a few crew who excel in one field, but are unusable in another.
  • Thanks guys. So between worf or reed.
    Arena I don't care about.
    All others are nice. I guess shuttles would help with the faction events. My voyages don't last much over 4 hours. Gauntlet is fun, but I never finish in top places.
    Whichever the crew, it is likely to stay at 1/5 for a long time.
    Thanks for your time
  • Early on I suggest you maximize shuttles and shuttle bays as you can farm those faction only items much more easily. It also helps you for the very common faction events which in turn helps boost your rank and reward. Just keep at it and you will be doing well in no time.
  • Thanks bud. So is best for shuttles is just pure base stat?
    So worf I think then.
    Cheers
  • edited January 2018
    Yes, shuttles success depends solely on their base stats. I always would recommend shuttles first as they give you the faction items and trainers which early on for me were very very problematic. You dont have to level and equip every crew in your roster. Just focus on leveling specific crew till theyre completed so you can maximize them. Always send out shuttles when you can and try to farm ones like section 31, KCA, Maquis, or the Federation ones when you arent running a specific one for an item. I recommend those because you need lots of 2* security codes, holoprograms, 2* encoded comminiques, and ancient films.

Historically there have been a lot of shuttle only events as well so doing those you can increase your rank/rewards.

This forum has a lot of great information to learn from and shorten the learning curve. Look around and dont be afraid to ask questions. Theres a lot more knowledgeable people here.
  • Thanks bud for your time, info and help.
    I'll take worf. Cheers. Appreciate it
  • captain_yarcaptain_yar ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just got Frank Hollander/1701 Sisko/The One, Lore from Elusive Treasures... I'm totally stumped! I have a ton of CMD/DIP/SEC (cmdr. Kira, Kahless, Gowron, all of the mega event legendaries) so I feel like I should go with Lore, but I don't have any Siskos besides the 2*, and you cannot deny Ben Sisko

Edit: Just realized Lore is also CMD primary... and that none of the three of them crack the top five in my primary stat. So I'm going with Sisko because I'm guessing he'll show up in events. But I'd still appreciate any thoughts.