Home The Bridge

Voyage/Skirmish Event Notes Ye Olde Space Opera - 2024/09/19

Comments

• Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think prioritise good voyage crew, with a range of skills. As my fleet mate pointed out, use Quipped crew, the proficiency bonus will work wonders.

The gauntlet opponents seem to be weak. I have only gone to ten hours. I would prioritise total skill over putting in a 1/5 gauntlet crew. 5/5 gauntlet crew would be fantastic though.
    Maybe put in one reasonably strong for each skill.

The gauntlet bonus traits seem to be chosen from a small selection, it would be good to know what these are, but I don't think it's too important.

There does not seem to be any advantage to having multiple bonus crew, although I got the impression at least one will add a bonus, similar to how only one is needed for skirmishes. So add in Robin Hood, the Queen, or Wizard Hemmer.

Bonus AM is only as important as a normal voyage. Aim for more if you are going to be renewing with dilithium, or balance with skills if not.

The real trick is planning which crew to use, and in what order, in encounters. Use skill or crit bonuses if needed.

The crit bonuses are pretty much free from opening packs for time bonuses.
  • DAEDAE ✭✭✭✭
    > crew with the ‘Explorer (Ship trait for VE)’ trait.

The what now?

😆😆😅 i spent 3 days repeating myself in fleet convos trying to explain this. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • DAEDAE ✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    Just going to ramble a bit, feel free to chalk it up to "old man yells at clouds" and move on if you do not vibe with what comes next.

Is this voyage event fun? I am going into it cautiously but I will be honest, I do not really understand what is going on, what I should be doing, and I find it even more daunting a task to try and figure it out when apparently the only way to get clarification is to enter the Discord jungle and wade through thousands of comments hoping to find something of value.

I sent my event voyage, but the process of selecting made very little sense to me. Do I prioritize strong Gauntlet numbers? Do I prioritize strong Voyage numbers? Do I need to care that a card gets a bonus?

Other than Locutus, none of my strong Gauntlet cards had a bonus. I did the best I could when sending it out, I hit some decent numbers, I don't know. Staffing the voyage was not a fun process.

Resolving the Gauntlet parts is stressful. Cards I sent with no bonus suddenly HAVE a bonus during the Gauntlet, so now I am even more confused about how I should be staffing these things.

It all just sort of feels like an event built around constantly moving goalposts. It probably is not actually that way to the people that understand what is going on, but I am not one of those people apparently, very little of this feels intuitive or consistent, and the only way to try and get clarity is to jump into the Discord hivemind without a Borg Queen to harmonize the stream and hope to get lucky without getting crushed in an avalanche of replies.

So yes, is this fun?

Is this fun?….
    Nobody seems to think so. Very daunting to start this event unless you are a lucky few have been able to pull the voyage fast forward tokens, and recognize the subtle difference as they look similar to the encounter skip, and know how to use them.

The crew selection can be confusing, myself, I followed my own path that made sense by choosing well rounded bonus crew selections of picards and costumed traits rather than specific event or proficiency crew.

The goalpost is constantly moving. Each encounter gives specific % increases to certain skills as the encounter opponent strengths increase.

The highlight colors are maddening. What is the green for? Why is it yellow or green or yellow and green? I assume that prof increase has something to do with the colors but really its just distracting.

Why did it give me a 3* explorer ship when I have several lvl 10 explorers ?

They've spent so much time programming this new exciting event type, so that we can all be confused by the over-complication of it all, and lack of instructions or information.

The lack of engagement is disappointing. Once you've passed the first few hours, You get a gauntlet style “encounter” every 2 hours.
    The concept is still viable. The current application is not. With some changes it may indeed become fun.

• My problem with the event is that they're using a 4* ship as the featured vehicle? I have a few other ships with "Explorer" but they only give +100AM instead of +500. Can we please use 5* ships in the future? Also, the bonus for other ships using the preferred trait should be, in my opinion, 250AM, there's no reason to have such a small boost for working over the years to get a ship to 5* when some of these ships are rarely added to the monthly arena.

• I wonder if the loot drop VP progression goes something like:

1 bonus crew: 5 VP multiples/drop
    2 bonus crew: 6 VP multiples/drop
    3 bonus crew: 7 VP multiples/drop
    4-5 bonus crew: 8 VP multiples/drop
    6-7 bonus crew: 9 VP multiples/drop
    8-10? bonus crew: 10 VP multples/drop
    ?11-12 bonus crew: 11 VP multiples/drop

I'm going to try some new Voyages to test my theory. Thank goodness the new Encounter schedule is much more frequent!

I look forward to your future information on this. Of course, this may change again for the next event.
  • The gauntlet gets a bit more challenging at 12 hours. {Spoiler Character} who pops up at the end of the chain then has a top roll of 1400.

I went all out on Quipping up crew with the gold and silver skills but it's left me feeling exposed in the encounters when other skills are being tested (eg my best SEC roll is Locutus). I'm pretty sure I'll get to 20 hours on one token, but I don't know how much use that will be if I'm failing encounters at 16-18 hours. Next time round I'm going to send enough gauntlet-y people that all possible skill combos have at least half-decent coverage.
  • Event broken now for me
    akkhm5ij8p8u.jpg
  • Is 2 days the maximum event length before needing to start a new event?
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to just send a "chill" voyage. It had strong voyagers, decent gauntleteers, 12 bonus crew, and zero Quipment. I did the first handful of Encounters and then used the boosts that let you skip Encounters...

...here are the results:

n9b60qlkpb80.jpg

Not super fun.
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I decided to just send a "chill" voyage. It had strong voyagers, decent gauntleteers, 12 bonus crew, and zero Quipment. I did the first handful of Encounters and then used the boosts that let you skip Encounters...

...here are the results:

n9b60qlkpb80.jpg

Not super fun.

My voyage of barely 10 hours had over 44,000 points. I had Robin Hood; perhaps he gets a big bonus.

• I did a mistake. I forgot to use my bonus crew. Just Wizard Hemmer is on board. 13,5 hours, but "just" 51k points.

fqkto9quwhvg.png
  • Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you recall is it an instant recall so you can send out another right away?
    If you recall is it an instant recall so you can send out another right away?

Yes.

You can also let the AM run out, and then recall.
  • It might actually be difficult or even impossible for f2p players to reach 350k or 400k in a full voyage event.
  • NoblemanDKNoblemanDK ✭✭✭✭
    2 thumbs down from me. Here 24½½ hours into the event and still not at 100k vps and knowing that for once participating in an event i wont get the threeshold.
    Currently at 203rd place so its the same for most players
  • Event broken now for me
    akkhm5ij8p8u.jpg

Also seeing the same issue, although it started for me when I was at about 1 day 8 hours into the voyage -- no voyage text, no display of Antimatter, and the fast forwards I just used did not bring up any encounters, so I think my VP is stagnant. I submitted a ticket.
    It might actually be difficult or even impossible for f2p players to reach 350k or 400k in a full voyage event.

It should be easy for long term play to hit old rewards, 130k and 3 copies of the super rare.

It's what I often aim for in galaxy if I don't want thr legendary.

F2p players should be able to build up boosts over time, and decide which events to blow them on.

As it stands, well done to Tilting point for making this a hybrid event.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember this is a hybrid. The Skirmish should allow everyone to hit threshold.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    samanthe wrote: »
    Suggestions:

6. The consumables for this are not great on all fronts.
    a) The encounter skips are good, but I only have 2? Why aren't these in the shuttle packs like the other boosts?
    b) The crit boosts, got plenty of these but didn't have any difficultly with encounters until I hit 12 hours. I failed that encounter but I honestly just wanted to turn the boat around anyway so I could do Continuum and I was about to run out of gas. And if I was more experienced staffing these voyages I think I wouldn't have needed any help still at 12hrs.
    c) Crew refresh, again I only have 2, but also didn't need them.

They are all in the shuttle packs. You just need to buy a bunch of packs to get enough
  • samanthe wrote: »
    6. The consumables for this are not great on all fronts.
    a) The encounter skips are good, but I only have 2? Why aren't these in the shuttle packs like the other boosts?

They are, but I think they have extremely sucky odds. I'd been hoarding shuttle boosts for some time and pulled something like 5 encounter skips including 2 of the gold ones from ~50 rare-or-better 10-pulls just before the event started. At this point given the way people are talking about them I'm starting to wonder if I actually got lucky getting a 1% rate ...
  • I have to be doing something wrong with this event. I have 19 hours left and I only have a measly 38,000 points. This is very frustrating, especially when I see the number one player has 3,630,280 points. I will probably never play a voyage event again.
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    The indicated improvements sound good. It should be much clearer after that.
  • I have to be doing something wrong with this event. I have 19 hours left and I only have a measly 38,000 points. This is very frustrating, especially when I see the number one player has 3,630,280 points. I will probably never play a voyage event again.

This is essentially the second beta test for the voyage events. Just focus on the skirmish phase and you'll be fine.
    edited September 21
    So as I understand bonus crew,

We get 50 AM for the trait, 50 AM for minor bonus crew, and these stack, so Costumed Picards get 100 AM. Explorers get nothing. Big bonus crew get 150 AM, but this does not stack with the trait.
    Then there is the mess with which bonus crew get bonuses to VP. Do 100,150 AM crew give a bigger bonus boost than 50 AM crew.

Multiple crew only count once, so to Robin Hoods will count as one.

Then there's the matter of Picard Day Riker counting as a Picard.
    He doesn't have the costumed trait.

This is far too complicated, and will need a decent spreadsheet before next event.

17uluqgrb7wd.jpg
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Voyage event concept is a cool idea and I hope that if it is run again in the future that the changes mentioned in the in game message (thank you BTW for sending that in game!) but for this time, we are almost done with the voyage portion and I still have no real idea what is going on.

I sent my first voyage with 12 "bonus" crew and only scored what, 33+K for 12.5 hours? I have sent a second voyage out, this time with an immortalized Wizard Hemmer, a 6-pack of Gauntlet all-stars, and 5 beefy voyage cards to round out my team and have just over 40K VP at the 10 hour mark. I also have not used a single one of those Encounter skips on this second voyage as I got the feeling on the first voyage that it was not quite giving me the full multiplier, but i am not sure.

So the adjustments I made from my first to second attempt had positive results (yay!) but still not really moving the needle on actual progress. Assuming I get up to ~60K VP after the 12 hour Encounter and replicated that 5-6 times for a full 4 day event, that would get me close to the magic finish line of 350,000 VP but that would be a LOT of work for 4 straight days. Just my point zero two dollars' worth but I feel if you design something that requires that much work, the reward should be increased. If a player invests in immortalizing the feature legendary card and uses it as intended every two hours for 4 straight days, that return should be great enough to not have to even consider worrying about completing thresholds.