Home Engineering Room
Options

Art feedback

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
I am creating this thread to gather your productive feedback about your concerns regarding the art for crew.

The goal is to compile a comprehensive list, so please be as objective and as concise as possible, but feel free to point out specific details.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    NoneNone ✭✭✭
    Some of the parts feel like an afterthought. Data’s left arm, for example, looks to be added in because he needed one. It doesn’t even look properly attached.
  • Options
    More often than not when I encounter crew artwork which I find lacking, it is accompanied by that glaringly harsh blue and yellow side-lighting. That stuff is annoying and distracting in-and-of itself. When combined with pewpy artwork, it's a painful eyesore.
  • Options
    Poor Tomalak still needs to be re-worked to match the game's style.
    23rd Century Martok is still an abomination. I haven't yet seen an explanation of how the character would exist, unless Discovery has somehow accidentally ret-conned the Klingons to allow it. Plus the artwork has always been a point of contention as it is not pleasant.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of
    excessive shadow effects eg kurros (there are better examples but when half the face is shadow it looks lazy)
    Blurred features eg mirror reed
    Not looking like the actual character /actor eg mirror data
    Retro Street Fighter cartoon art ie tomalak

Martok speaks for itself

It feels like you don't care about your player base when you neglect quality control. There are so many examples of great art. I wish you would redo some of the bad ones. I'm seriously considering skipping this event. No dil spent on pulls, no dil on boosts. Surely this art pays for itself.
  • Options
    My biggest issue with data (mirror) and Vic (mirror) are their faces.

The data, as I've said as disappointing as he is I could exempt from all this if he was the only issue.. OR if the Picard (mirror) was of the same style.. but Picard is leaps and bounds ahead of the data in style, quality and most importantly to me resemblance to actor.

If the Picard looked all Charlie Brown and it was a specific line/series I'd be way more good with it.

(Like themed black and white characters Aracnia Janeway, Proton Paris, president of Earth ect)

But he's not.. he (data) just doesn't reach your previous or my current standard.

And the arm thing.. I didn't even see that until this thread. Yikes.

Vic (mirror) didn't resemble James Darren other then he's a white guy with grey hair.
    He looks more like Taylor Hicks

And that can't be blamed on an on again, off again comic style.

The Jadzia , does look like Terry.
    Which is the most important thing in my books
    But the work done to create her, looking at it through technical eyes is poor.

It's like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy. It's the multiplicity effect. Every time you clone a clone you lose important ingredients.

And the Mirror Reed lol.
    My wife couldn't identify him. (Nor could she with Vic)
    She thought he was a Vulcan at first.

I thought he looked like he had the mumps.
    A very very bad case of the mumps.

And what was even worse was that the 3 star sniper Reed was in the prize table next to him.
    That only points out even more.

The work on sniper Reed is 5* worthy.
    The actual 5* looks pre-release beta quality
    Doesn't look like the actor at all.

The Divinci, I can see John Rhyes Davis
    I can see Majal in Commander Chapelle.
    To me, they are ok
    (Between that and the first ever Trifecta traits in Di Vinci , I bought 2 packs pre event for the 1st time ever, and 2nd time over all that I bought any pre event start)

I was open to doing 1 for this event if the art and stats had been good.. but neither are.

At the announcement of the mega event I was hyped. I thought to myself "awesome, DB level quality on some great concept work from the tng comic, look at the Picard.. can't wait to see the rest ! "

I actually said that to my wife who was hyped for mirror but unsure About non Canon tng popping up.

I don't know if this was as concise as it should be.. but I hope it helps to provide you with references to the quality expected.

• Options
    I agree with everything that’s been said here. The drop in quality has been really disappointing. I hope it is actually truly addressed — both on current crew as well as future crew.

The crew headshots used to be the same size and the varying sizes really get my OCD going.

Mirror Archer’s full body artwork has an incorrect aspect ratio, making him appear skewed tall and thin. This has never been fixed.

There are also some crew who have very low resolution head shot artwork that has never been fixed, such as Orion Vina and Assimilated Janeway.

I find Ensign Vorik really awkward. His artwork is obviously captured from the episode where he sits at the conference table with his elbows on the table and his hands folded. DB chose the same pose, but standing without the table. It looks like he is leaning forward on something that doesn’t exist. No one stands like that.

Also does Gorn Captain really need the huge rock in his head shot? It should be removed so he has a transparent background because it busts out of the box really poorly. It’s fine for characters that have an item or part of their head or a hat sticking out, but it looks just wrong here.

Holo Doc’s head shot has his golf club clipped over his shoulder and it looks weird.
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It was mentioned a few weeks ago but Klingon O'Brien's face and hair was done incorrectly. His in-game art has long mustache parts and a very short beard but in the actual episode he had a very short mustache and braids in his beard. Additionally his ridges seem very sloppy and don't look much like other ridges in game. Compare O'Brien's to Captain Klaa's or Worf's. Both of those characters have very clean, crisp lines on their foreheads. See the side-by-side screenshot here.

My other main gripe is with Da Vinci's beard. As has been mentioned there has been a lot of har that looks too smooth and without definition. Da Vinci's beard looks more like a plastic grocery bag than hair. Compare his beard to Prisoner O'Brien's where you can see some individual groupings of whiskers. Or Musketeer La Forge's giant wig or Gralik Durr's beautiful silvery locks.

Leonardo_da_Vinci_Head.png

Prisoner_O%27Brien_Head.png

• Options
    tbxvelkpvkxl.png

Can you please redo the graphics for the Klingon O'Brien?!?

The inconsistency between what they look like in the episode and in game. Especially with Klingon O’Brien
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off thank you for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it.

I want to set the correct expectations. Art for existing crew is not likely to be modified and I cannot make any guarantees for the future.

But I want to be able to forward concrete feedback that I hope we will be able to take into consideration.

• Options
    Shan wrote: »

I want to set the correct expectations. Art for existing crew is not likely to be modified and I cannot make any guarantees for the future.

But I want to be able to forward concrete feedback that I hope we will be able to take into consideration.

That is depressing.. But honest.
    I value the honesty but the potential implications are disturbing.

Would it be possible for players to submit art that you can Vet / get approved / do your licencing thing for and use that in future characters instead of whatever led to mirror Reed, Data, Vic & Klingon O'Brien ?

Maybe set up a small group of artists who play the game and are willing to contribute ..

I'd happily sign a binding non disclosure on future characters and plots if it means I can help improve the quality... And get paid in premium portals for myself and wife. :)
    (Seriously. I smile, but I'm serious)

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shan wrote: »

That is depressing.. But honest.
    I value the honesty but the potential implications are disturbing.

Agreed. I would hope that DB will change their stance on this, as so much of the existing crew needs a makeover. And I'm not talking about redoing the ones that are fairly well-represented characterizations within the new style of "quick-and-dirty and a lot less detail"... I'm talking about ones that are just badly-done artwork.

Example: I will never want that Mirror Data on my crew, despite being a Data collector, as the drawing looks like it was done by a junior high school student who was killing time in study hall, not the work of a professional artist (besides that fact that it also looks nothing like Brent Spiner). In his current state, he's an abomination, in my opinion. But if that were to be changed so it was of the quality of any of the previous Datas, I would spend $100 to get him, and lots of dil on packs to FF him.

There are other existing crew who I'd be a lot more excited about if the artwork was improved — even ones who I might not necessarily be that keen on otherwise, as a character.

Of course, in the future, it should go without saying that there is a direct correlation between how good the art is and how much money I will spend on an event. There is also a direct correlation between how bad the art is, and how much more likely I am to consider leaving the game for good, with each new disappointment.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Sing it Data1001 ! :)

It hurts, that I know I myself and bet at least a half a dozen other people on here could even salvage / repair the existing art with in.. an hour. Maybe two.. and make it something that could appease or even please the vast majority.

Additional to my previous offer / thought / suggestion . If not able/ willing to accept incoming art from the community or a special non disclosure group as described above..

Then please consider a non disclosure, Approval group for new art, so as to get the pulse of a sample of the community and allow them to provide insight how to improve it prior to release and prevent things like this from happening again.

• Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    eg3a1rv1bkc1.jpg

I don't blame DB, they copied the comic book art pretty much exactly. Except, it's pretty clear the comic book art isn't of the same quality as past DB character art.

EDIT: Actually, I'm being hypocritical. Mirror Picard looks good. This Data looks horrific.
  • Options
    My expectation is that the artwork look like the character. I'm ok with a bit of rougher style without a ton of detail but if the crew doesn't look like the character such as with Data or Vic (totally unrecognizable) that is not acceptable. I let it slide this time as there has been some positive effort to improve the game play. It's obvious that much of the art has suffered though. I also know that many long time players that spend good hard earned money on this game are considering walking away, heck many already have. Hadn't even ever considered it until this event, guess it's been more of a building up process. The decline in artwork along with some issues to fleet mates accounts has me thinking about it.

Please consider reworking past crew with bad artwork and improve standards going forward.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan thanks for making this space here. I hope this really will make a difference, and that my examples are useful and constructive. Trekkies tend towards the sciencey/nerdy/artsy side so for many of us, our support and spending on a game will go where the artistic integrity is.

Some issues apply across the board and intersect in these examples. However I've attempted to use these images to illustrate (har har) some specifics.
    <snipped for brevity>

Absolutely fantastic post! Thank you for showing all those examples. Couldn't agree more with everything you said.
    PhKPuas.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    To me, the most important aspect of the game is the art. The beautiful, stunning artwork that you had when I started playing in the spring of 2016 made me want to collect every card. I want to outline some of the things that were RIGHT with the artwork back then:

-Characters (especially faces) were not just photorealistic, but far more realistic and stunning than any photo. The skin glowed just perfectly, with details that made the character jump right off the page, and the hair looked real.

-Faces were three dimensional, not flat, with contrasts of light and dark, with just the right colors in the highlights. It felt like you could step right into the scene and tap the character on the shoulder.

-There was lots of detail, so much that you could get lost in it, in a good way.

-Faces looked exactly like who they were supposed to.

-The use of side lighting was well done and subtle. It varied from character, and brought out the highlights in the painting.

Now, some of the things that have bothered me recently:

-Flat, muddy skin tone. No glow. No shading. No three dimensionality. T’Mir is an example.

-An attempt to get skin tone and three dimensionality and *personality* right, but it falls flat on its face. Contrast 2* Kathryn Janeway with Captain Janeway. Kathryn Janeway has a flat-eyed stare that looks like a corpse or a zombie. It is not so bad until you look at them side by side, but the contrast of Captain Janeway’s welcoming warmth makes her 2* counterpart hard to look at.

-Lack of detail, sloppiness, just a few broad strokes that looks like it was done in an hour or less. I want to buy this card...why? A photo would be better. (An example would be Klingon O’Brien, whom I would dub “melty-face O’Brien.” He just looks terrible. But even just plain lack of detail is bad, as in some of the low level Bashirs.

-Art that does not look like the actor. I was so excited when I heard that Mirror Vic Fontaine was coming to the game. I was going to rush out and buy him. Then I saw the art. It is beautifully done, if you don’t care who you are looking at. James Darren has always been one of my favorite actors. This art is not him, and not Vic Fontaine from the series. (There were great photo references available from the episode, but apparently the artist did not even look at them.) And we won’t even get into Mirror Reed, who looks like David Duchovny.

-Bad cropping. Could we please have all the heads in the character portraits about the same size? Not huge, not tiny. The way they were in the beginning was just right.

-Bodies out of proportion. I was going after Mirror Data — and then I saw that huge cannon arm, and even worse, the left arm that doesn’t even look like an arm it is so long. I’m sorry. I just don’t want to have to look at him in my crew. (And then there was “potato head” Martok, the first of the really bad crew art, because of his huge, squashy head.)

-Lack of quality control. It is very hard to believe that some of these problems are not being caught by the art director.

Finally, I would like to say that not all recent art is bad. I absolutely love Mirror Picard. He is one of my favorites. It does not even matter that he looks just like the mirror trek comic book Picard. In fact, that is a plus in my book. And I also really like the Discovery crew art — Tilly, Lorca, Stamets, Burnham, and Georgiou.

Also, Shan, your starting this thread and passing on our comments is greatly appreciated. Hopefully, we will see improved artwork in the future.

Taron

Aka Taran of eXo and Taralie of VIP0

-
  • Options
    I would like to make one additional series of comments about the art.

- I absolutely love the style originally established by Mike Gardener, and I hope you will keep that as your standard to strive for.

- Tomalak and the similarly cartoony Jadzia would be fine in a different venue, but here they are just jarring. In any case, they are not to my taste, and I am not sure how much I would play if this were the dominant art style,

-On the other hand, Vina and the Borg Queen are also in a different art style, but I like this art, and would be happy to see additional art in this same style.