Home The Bridge
Options

DB: MED node does not "affect every participant in a similar fashion".

·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
*edit: This is a lot less about human mistakes happening, and a lot more about integrity of the initial response, responsibility, transparency, avoidable & repeated stretching thin, and disconnect however well intentioned (e.g. 6+ tickets in a suddenly condensed time frame, and at this time).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MED node is not being fixed in part as the issue "affects every participant in a similar fashion"?

No - If a player got event packs to obtain a Mirror Crusher, prioritized their resources into levelling and equipping her or other bonus MED crew, then it does impact them more. As that bonus is mostly nullified for the epic & elite node.

With each ticket we run where the MED node is not fixed, it becomes less fair for players who focused their resources into these crew for that bonus.

and "- as shown by the timer in game, the event was not extended as previously announced and will end on Monday, 12/25 instead of Tuesday, 12/26."
-- I'm an advocate for shorter events, but kinda would've been nice to know this beforehand? The way it's written here, it appears that it isn't a bug, but DB made a decision to significantly alter the event without notifying us, leaving us to only find out halfway through the event itself. Maybe after we'd adapted our plans for a marathon 5-day event to accommodate their holiday schedule.

We love Trek and playing the game, DB. Please try to get more in touch with the player base.

Comments

• Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    and "- as shown by the timer in game, the event was not extended as previously announced and will end on Monday, 12/25 instead of Tuesday, 12/26."
    -- I'm an advocate for shorter events, but kinda would've been nice to know this beforehand? The way it's written here, it appears that it isn't a bug, but DB made a decision to significantly alter the event without notifying us, leaving us to only find out halfway through the event itself. Maybe after we'd adapted our plans for a marathon 5-day event to accommodate their holiday schedule.

We love Trek and playing the game, DB. Please try to get more in touch with the player base.

Regarding the messaging on shortening the event, it is absolutely 100% a bug and not what was intended. Lots of mistakes were made this week, but one mistake we didn't make was changing our minds on a whim.

Once we realized today that the event wasn't going to be extended, we tried to find a way to get things back on track, but due to how the event system is structured, all of the alternatives were far more damaging to players. It would have involved things such as missions progress resetting without warning, inconsistent debuffs, some players losing expedition tickets, and way too many unpredictable behavior.

If this happened on a weekday, or a non-holiday weekend, we may have been able to fix it with coding cleverness. Trying to do so today, however, was unlikely to end well, which is we why resorted to updating the messaging and getting the compensation out as quickly as possible before it got even later.

Thanks for the response Black Pebble. This helps.

This would have been best if it had been communicated in the original message. We would be appreciative and run into fewer misunderstandings if full transparency and possibly excessive communications happened in the first place.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Let's just... chill. Tommorow is a day that you MUST ABSOLUTELY spend with a family of (any) sorts, and the next day is christmas. Sometimes it's not always about the event.

And I am still competing of sorts, in all fairness, but I wont let it destroy my Christmas, even if it means moderate standing.
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the response Black Pebble. This helps.

This would have been best if it had been communicated in the original message. We would be appreciative and run into fewer misunderstandings if full transparency and possibly excessive communications happened in the first place.

You make a good point, and I'll keep that in mind.

PS: We spent more than 15 minutes trying to see if we could extend the timer. ;-) You'd think it'd be straightforward.....turns out not so much.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Yes Happy Festivus, got for the holidays my first ever event packs, and the portion of the event I mostly got them for, and focused time and recourses on that crew for (epic MED nodes) are at least in part gone. But apparently this affects every participant in a similar fashion?

I'm not assuming malice, but I think it's more for the purpose of taking the easy way instead of fixing something and so, sacrifices some realness.
    It's a bummer but, it's Christmas so let's be cool?

Thanks for the response Black Pebble and Merry Christmas to you and all at DB!

I'd like a response on the MED nodes, the primary purpose for this post, and while I don't speak for everyone, I have a feeling that others would too.

As for being cool, I truly was as civil and diplomatic in the post as I could muster.

The world keeps turning all year round. If DB is still running events through the holidays, and still taking our money, then they're still accountable for these things.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Pebble. Like you said, no solution is going to be ideal for everyone. Personally, I very much appreciate you coming and giving the reasoning behind the decision. Imo, it's more important than the action itself.
  • Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thank you for taking the time to respond about the MED node Black Pebble, and I appreciate that the resources aren't there right now to fix it. Thank you for the transparency.

However I disagree that it doesn't matter if you're using Crusher and other bonus crew or not - it matters by many thousands of VP. ---- edit: I would have still gone for her; as a big fan of Crusher and Expeditions who waited for this for months. But it's objectively inaccurate to claim that this doesn't affect players with MED bonus crew more, whether Mirror Bev or Phlox or others. This is just one of a handful of avoidable issues, any one of which could have made the difference in a player investing their efforts or not.

Saying that it doesn't matter, and essentially that discrepancy in VP doesn't matter, to me sounds like you're saying that it doesn't matter that time effort and resources were put into this crew.

Disagree that no minds were changed on a whim this week; it was even explained to us that in the span of a day or so, which things would be upped or lowered in voyages were changed. And we still don't have clarity on it (were told there would be more chance of crew dropping, then it changed to less. Less for all crew, or just cadets?)

Though I appreciate the gesture of attempting to compensate with extra expedition tickets today, I agree with Speckles that the extra tickets make the event more hardcore now that it's condensed by a day.

Thanks for the explanation about the length of the event. Things happen and that makes sense. Please consider making next week's event only 4 days long as well. Happy holidays!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually agree with the decisions made in response.

However I think the QC guys need to not be given a holiday break from their weekly beatings.

Initial run wise, this was sloppier than we've seen in a while. Supposedly the notification time for events was cut to give DB time to get their fecal matter together as they could not give us a heads up as they were spending all that time getting things right.

That being said, making hasty changes mid event could be disasterous. As Buckaroo Banzai once said "Don't pull on that you don't know what it's attached to."

So DB has my respect for not going half cocked, but gets a severe ding for being in the situation to begin with..
  • Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like someone to explain how they would have prepared for event differently had they known that one node would be bugged. I'm happy to see the open communication and honesty about the error and the results to fix it.

But I'm confused by the people who say that since they paid for Crusher, that they are more affected by this than those who didn't. Where in the lead up to the event did DB say specifically how many Med nodes there would be?
  • Options
    IcebergDXIcebergDX ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If there was ever a **tsk tsk** UP that demanded a real reward like DIL or CREW SLOTS, THIS IS THE ONE, but instead our reward is to grind MORE, a pittance in HONOR (3x50 trainers worth) and we are supposed to smile as we get screwed out of money and effort spent on EVENT CREW THAT IS NOW ESSENTIALLY USELESS?!?!?! AT MINIMUM, they could have offered free Event Crushers for everyone with a crew spot for her that bought an event pack and did not get her, and a refund of DIL and a CREW SLOT for anyone who already had her FFFE. Those people spent MONEY TO DO THAT, and now they are SCREWED! And a lot of the rest of us spent DIL (which is REAL MONEY) trying to get her, thinking she was needed for the event.

Sorry, Black Pebble, but this is just another ham handed attempt by DB to fix a MASSIVE SCREW UP on your part, in the most MINIMALIST WAY POSSIBLE.

Comments removed. ˜Shan
  • Options
    IcebergDXIcebergDX ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The problem is your solution. Giving everyone more tickets leads to more grinding and more time. Thus a bigger problem you created. Giving everyone a crusher or honor citation would have been a solution not more tickets and grinding

This. SO this. X!,000,000 THIS.

But its not going to happen.

Comment removed. ~Shan
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the information Black Pebble. I understand the time constraints your group was under and the diffucties that this weekend can cause. I know some people would like an all hands on deck approach but that isn’t realistic this weekend.

I would hope after this that you discuss ways with your programmers on how to maybe create a structure that is easier to make some changes quickly... like event timer.

Enjoy your weekend and I hope everyone at DB has a Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Edit - Just as a quick note I spent dilithium on getting event crew this weekend and while it does effect me if I understand the issue correctly it only is an issue with 1node. The 6 tickets helps me more because I use her on more nodes that give me larger bonus than people who didn’t get her.
  • Options
    Thanks Black Pebble.... I understand now.... see an all night we Christmas eve :) I like winning :)
  • Options
    Capt AjammCapt Ajamm ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    6 more tickets, 2 extra days worth, to be used over one day less. This is completely absurd given the notes on the event state clearly the intent for the purpose of the holiday weekend the event is longer to help facilitate our real life.

So you were doing us a kindness with the extra day (and, oops, it's taken away)

This should have been paused like happened before. Would have preferred coming back to phase 2 after the holiday & you fixing the nodes
    ~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Pebble for the explanation. While not ideal, I think you made the right choices after the issue's surfaced. Speaking for myself, I absolutely love expedition events and I quite like the mirror mega event as it turned out, even though I was sceptical at first.
  • Options
    XoiikuXoiiku ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Why not use holidays as a time for reruns? Regular length, chill, (assuming) less stuff to test and fix beforehand and during - make things simple for players and staff. :)

I like this idea of reruns for holidays and more reruns of events in general.
    We are all downstream from each other and ourselves, therefore choose to be relaxed and groovy.
    Consider participating in civil discourse, understanding the Tardigrade, and wandering with the Subspace Eddies.
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    *sigh* What I don't understand is why couldn't they sent two messages with 3 tickets each? Because 6 tickets at the same time make my brain melt... And no, it's not possible to not play them consecutively as for me it requires to stop voyage and shuttles for the duration.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving us 6 tickets in a single mail was a good idea, but splitting them into two e-mails with 3 tickets each would have reduced the time workload on a single day. Now we're kinda forced to do 9 tickets on a single day ... or save the 6 tickets for another expedition event ... and we haven't had one of these in a very long time, and it bugs me to see that "1" shining in the mail all the time.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving us 6 tickets in a single mail was a good idea, but splitting them into two e-mails with 3 tickets each would have reduced the time workload on a single day. Now we're kinda forced to do 9 tickets on a single day ... or save the 6 tickets for another expedition event ... and we haven't had one of these in a very long time, and it bugs me to see that "1" shining in the mail all the time.

Lol mine says 16 :) I still have he sorry tickets from the last expedition issue, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    My biggest problem with the loss of the extra day is the extra threshold rewards that we'll probably now not be able to each (I'm looking at you ISS Defiant schematics).
    Expeditions are great and I've had great success with them in the past but you can't grind up a threshold board that fast with them and reruns at best give you 100 extra points (half an hour and good crew will net you 10,000) but you try going from 250,000 to 750,000 that way. Yikes.
    I think a better form of compensation would have included 600 ISS Defiant schematics so we at least all get a chance to own a level 1 version of that ship.