Home The Bridge
Options

Here's an unpopular opinion.....

...Give DB a break. Its a company that makes phone games. Game's crash. No game is perfect. Everyone assumes that risk when they spend money on a phone game for pure entertainment. A game crashes affecting everyone and some people act like DB stole their first-born child. Then DB gives a gift and people get more angry because they already bought that cartoon, which they knew full well had no tangible value to begin with. If you're pissed, just remind yourself its a phone game that has you spun up and ask if its worth it? Go ahead and attack me now.

Comments

• Options
    I agree, but only up to a point. If the recent issues only affected gameplay then (for me) you have a point. Problem is this latest Picard disaster means that it has cost people *real money* to pay for something that shortly afterwards became free. That means some players are out of pocket, and that is a whole different ballgame.

I would not be surprised if some enterprising young lawyer somewhere jumped on this looking to make a name for themselves.

It is a phone game, you are right, but the Mirror Picard giveaway was a very very bad decision and it makes me worry about what level of thinking went on in DBHQ to arrive at it. I don't spend a lot on this game, maybe £20 per month, but I am not spending any more cash at all until they wise up in that office. If i carries on like this they will simply cease to exist as a viable company, and that would be a shame.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Let me try and make the explanation short and sweet. The megaevents have existed since April 2017. Each mega had a recurring crew member (Borg Queen, Kortar, T'Kuvma, Mirror Picard) that were only available for the duration of the event (4 weeks = 4 stars) and from event packs with a super low chance (and sometimes from the dabo wheel, as if anyone wins that one). We have been conditioned by DB for the past 9 months that in order to get our last missing star, we need to pay money, or use honor.

I hope that you will now understand why the outcry is so huge. I am a very forgiving person, and I don't whine at freebies, but this one showed a serious lack of thought on the matter, not to mention lack of managerial skills to anticipate the outcome.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought Monopoly but the box you got had no Monopoly money, you would write Parker brothers and ask them to send you what you paid for yes ?

(Or back to the store you bought it from)

Why is this any different ?

• Options
    arjunaarjuna ✭✭✭
    Yes, silence and complacency always brings about change. Yes this is a phone game but if you really want changes to occur and corrections made silence will never work. When you feel you have been wronged say something or do something about it saying "oh well" will only result in more of the same.
  • Options
    Consider this.

If you go to any restaurant, from McD's to the nicest place in town; and have a problem with product, the manager will go above and beyond to make it right. Most of us don't have jobs where we can get away with saying "Well, that wen't horribly, but we made 60% of customers happy so that's a job well done."

Now consider that we're spending money earned doing such jobs on this product and try to extrapolate why we might be dissatisfied with the way this has been handled.
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way. If DB gave out 5K Honour as an apology, I doubt there would be as much complaining even though Mirror Picard is better for the majority of players. A very substantial amount of players weren't even effected by the problem anyways so I'm not sure the remedy in this case was a free 5*.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Let's put it this way. If DB gave out 5K Honour as an apology, I doubt there would be as much complaining even though Mirror Picard is better for the majority of players. A very substantial amount of players weren't even effected by the problem anyways so I'm not sure the remedy in this case was a free 5*.

I hooe you meant 50K honor.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

I hooe you meant 50K honor.

No I specifically meant 5K. Explain why this mistake is worth 50k. I imagine a few people got screwed out of a Troi but that number is very small and some of those people shouldn't be relying on the last 3 minutes to make placement.

Of course, DB managed to turn a small mistake into a bigger one but that's a separate argument.
  • Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I agree with the OP to a point. 99% of the people giving out weren't even affected by the outage and here they are complaining about getting 550 honor for free.

But I also agree that the choice of compensation was wrong. They should have just given all players some currency and extended the prizes back a 1000 places or something.

That's what people are right to complain about. The 50k honor or $25 demands are patently insane. You are literally better off than you were before no matter how you slice it, unless you can show that you were affected by the outage.

I don't care about the 6th Picard either, but I don't begrudge it to everyone else.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been OK with the usual sorrytons. The outage didn't matter to me personally, but the company response was incredibly, um, short-sighted, shall we say? An amazing talent for doing the wrong thing at critical moments. It's hard to earn customer goodwill, but easy to destroy it. I wish they could understand that.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one thing to consider in general: The more variants or dublicates you have of a certain character the greater your chances in a shuttle event featuring that one. And in some cases I prefer a dublicate over a variant (as one example I prefer having 2 Princesses Jadzia in my rooster over the Blood Oath Dax version - better drawn, better stats etc.) While the uproar of those having spend honor or cash for a 5th Picard in this case is understandable often the right dublicate is better than the "wrong" variant.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Player A: 'Uh, didn't you just say I could only have that if I paid your exorbitant prices?'

Not exactly. They said through the course of the event, you could earn 4 copies.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubled my Picard week 1, as I have on every mega event and I assume many others do, and fully fused him week 4, as I always have (and assume the more dedicated citationtioned him long before that). Does a free copy smart a little, yes, but I (and many others) gained the benefit of the star(s) for 1-4 weeks as well, which I would not have if I waited 4 weeks to gain it freely. Paying for pre-access is how I am viewing this one. Also, if we step back 2 weeks, half the forums were ungrateful and spit in DB’s face regarding Will Scarlet being gifted free for winter holiday, either due to being FF or hard to level, or not pristine stats or some other first world issue. This was a pure gift, no issue, and still met rudely by many.

I get both sides of this debate, the trust and money is a big concern that is growing ever more on my mind, but burning down the forum every single week is simply going to result in the eventual “we made a mistake, it’s fixed, your compensation is getting to play again” and no hand outs. The community needs to settle itself and present arguments in a less vitriolic manner without threats of legal action, bolstering, and doomsday exaggerations every week. As many have pointed out, closed wallets for a few weeks may help. But if you close your wallets, expect another sexy desirable 5* to pop up. Tsunkatze Seven is probably waiting for the next boycott, because companies know how to make money. DB has been trying, and failing and succeeding, but lately it has been hard to get excited about the game. This event wore me out, and was not fun, and not easy, and deeply time consuming to get 750th place. I assume this stress was not unique to me. Congrats to the folks that spent, by my estimate based on my own score and time investment, upwards of 40 nonstop hours building things. What we need to be angry about isn’t a free gift for a 10 minute outage, but a rewards structure that isn’t prohibitive to all but the most dedicated so that one minute and forty five seconds of an event doesn’t drop you 100 places and out of a tier you spent 10 hours to get too. Less game stress, less forum anger, that’s my theory.
  • Options

Agree completely. I was a little surprised we got anything more than 100 chrons, to be honest. They would have avoided this whole mess if they gave something small. Although was the outage during the event? Then maybe something more than 100 chrons is probably in order.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I say again, Scarlett was a completely different thing. I didn't complain in the least even though I had bought him a year ago and immortalized him two weeks later. Scarlett is so long ago, and everyone can get him with a little luck in normal portals now. I'm not in the slightest angry at DB for giving everyone a free Scarlett Worf ... it was more meant as a little "Christmas" and "Merry Man" joke and I giggled actually. And, most importantly, Scarlett wasn't a "free" 4/5 mega event character.

Mirror Picard however ... wasn't smart, because he was the main featured crew of the current event (meaning he won't be in the regular portal for half a year) and those who cited or DYS'd the last star on him had an advantage over those who didn't, and that's fair. Getting everyone the last star out for free turned fair into unfair.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    I say again, Scarlett was a completely different thing. I didn't complain in the least even though I had bought him a year ago and immortalized him two weeks later. Scarlett is so long ago, and everyone can get him with a little luck in normal portals now. I'm not in the slightest angry at DB for giving everyone a free Scarlett Worf ... it was more meant as a little "Christmas" and "Merry Man" joke and I giggled actually.

Mirror Picard however ... wasn't smart, because he was the main featured crew of the current event (meaning he won't be in the regular portal for half a year) and those who cited or DYS'd the last star on him had an advantage over those who didn't, and that's fair. Getting everyone the last star out for free turned fair into unfair.

I'm pretty sure none of the Mega Event crew have ever been added to the portal, which makes it even more tempting for people to want to FF with Honor or Money
  • Options
    Yeah, the thought being that we might not have a shot otherwise. This is just bad business.
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree completely. I was a little surprised we got anything more than 100 chrons, to be honest. They would have avoided this whole mess if they gave something small. Although was the outage during the event? Then maybe something more than 100 chrons is probably in order.

A Galaxy event screw up implies that Sorrytons is appropriate compensation. Given the amount of work Galaxy events have turned into however should yield a better apology. 1000-1500 Chrons for example or perhaps a Supply Kit and Chrons.

This is a lesser screw-up than the prior Beverly event. That event's fix was only really only good for life-less losers like me who didn't have anything better to do on Christmas morning. Pounding through an extra 6 tickets still wasn't the best way to spend my morning. I gave up some valuable staring at the ceiling time for that.
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D
  • Options
    i would only like to point out the simple fact that the majority of the people who spent money , and honor, will refuse to do so for the next mega event. That translates to loss of profit for DB. A lot of the affected people are talking about stopping buying anything altogether ... And since im assuming DB is not running a charity , they will probably reconsider running the game if said profits drop below a certain threshold. I got the impression a few month's back that they weren't doing all that well with letting people go and all that ... so this situation definitely won't help.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If we had been given a Mirror Troi, then there would have been a smaller subset of players upset because they spent money to get into the bracket where they get, for example, 3 Trois to get her FF and/or because they bought tons of event packs (and probably one of the deals) to get FF Troi.

I think they could have rigged a behold in the portal to be un-purchasable and given us the choice of Picard, Troi, and one of the other event 5*s (they could have picked one based on certain metrics). However, you still would have ended up with upset players, because there are those who would have had FF Picard, Troi, and whichever other 5* DB gave. And we would still be in the same boat, but with a smaller angry group. And 50k honor/citation would not have been better for those trying to get their 1 Troi by getting rank 1k and who got hosed by the outage. They still wouldn't have the character they wanted.

However, the group that really benefits from this are the brand new players not on the forums. They don't see what everyone is angry about, but they get a free 5* that they may not have been able to get.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eris, don’t get me wrong, I agree the choice was a bad idea. I spent that 25$ and I have justified it as something I got to use in 4 events before the freebie was given. I may not have spent the money if I knew it was coming, but no one could have known that. I truly get the anger, many many people can’t afford 25$ and if they skipped a lunch (or even if they didn’t), the anger is very justified. My point is the way many present here, never you, you are a positive example on this forum in my opinion, one of a few. The childish screeching and nonsense that boils over constantly is never going to solve any issues. If I were DB, by this point, I would simply stop compensating. Nothing has ever been received in the 18 months I’ve played with gratitude by more than a handful of people. I thank you for leading that brigade, but overall, the forums are grotesquely toxic and unhelpful to the causes the people are seeking. My point in bringing up Scarlet is not that it relates to Picard, but merely the selfish entitled nonsense posts that followed that gift (Mine’s FF where’s my honor, So useless, blah blah). It was so reprehensible and I couldn’t even comment on it without violating TOS that week. It’s a symptom of a bigger issue here, internet anonymity disorder, where people think it’s ok to be rude and nasty because their faces are hidden. Being angry is fine, complaining is fine, but so is saying thank you and sometimes just not saying anything at all. The way people present here is seldom acceptable. I chose this thread quite purposefully, because I liked how the OP presented his post.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I say again, Scarlett was a completely different thing. I didn't complain in the least even though I had bought him a year ago and immortalized him two weeks later. Scarlett is so long ago, and everyone can get him with a little luck in normal portals now. I'm not in the slightest angry at DB for giving everyone a free Scarlett Worf ... it was more meant as a little "Christmas" and "Merry Man" joke and I giggled actually.

I'm pretty sure none of the Mega Event crew have ever been added to the portal, which makes it even more tempting for people to want to FF with Honor or Money

I think I have actually seen Borg Queen in a Be-Gold and wasn't aware how valuable she was ... or was that in a pack with Locutus?
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You value this “phone game” as “x”. That’s your prerogative. However, it’s inappropriate to say because you value the game as “x” everyone else should value it at “x” as well. I am sure there are things that you place a high value in that others would value differently. We get it - to you it’s a phone game. For others it’s more. As such, its appropriate for you to respond the way you feel approparite and for others to express frustration and disappointment.

But, don’t presume that others should value their experience the same as you. Because of this game, I’ve connected to amazing people in my fleet and developed relationships that I would have otherwise not. It’s a shared experience. It’s not so important that we’re advocating to burn servers down, but I understand why those might be frustrated with persistent communication and gameplay issues.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB are rewarding those who have not spent money or honor.
    Is that fair?

Those who lost most from the server crash are those that were playing competitively, those who were most likely to have spent $25 on a DYC for Picard to help in the event.

Instead of giving decent compensation to all players, DB chose to reward the ones who had spent the least, and put the least effort in.

Yes, servers crash. There are bugs in the game and things go wrong, but it is DBs handling that turned a server crash into a money losing calamity.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve said it elsewhere but I'll say it here again:

Crashes happen. They **tsk tsk**, especially when the timing is unfortunate, but they are unavoidable. STT has had its fair share and until now I have always felt like DB went above and beyond with making recompense for outages and errors...many of which never even affected me personally but ended up with a pile of chrons or some other apology gift in my inbox anyway.

The issue now is that people put either a lot of money or a lot of time into a single purchase that was obviated by the latest apology gift. I can understand someone at DB HQ saying “wouldn’t it be nice if we saved everyone who was able to get the first four stars on Mirror Picard some time and money for a fifth star” but what I can’t understand is that someone didn’t think to find out how many of their paying customers already got that fifth star before the award messages were sent. It’s a tone-deaf response magnified by the apparent lack of a cohesive response to support tickets...

What’s the right answer? How does DB pull back from the precipice so many players are willing to jump over? There have been a lot of different options discussed but this topic is the only one that seems to tell us to **tsk tsk** it up and pretend like nothing happened. That’s a reasonable response to most outages and errors, and maybe a reasonable one to the original outage that started this outrage, but it isn’t a reasonable response to those of us who feel cheated out of our time or money by the same company that purports to entertain us. Unless, of course, Mr. Kite works for Comcast’s customer service department IRL...