Home The Bridge

"Doctor" David Marcus

Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
I understand why DB chose to remove Marcus' "Doctor" trait (and add one to Toby Russell). Marcus isn't, after all, and MD, and all the other "Doctors" in the game are.

But why did they have to do this the day before an event with a bonus for Doctors, many days after telling us it would get a bonus? I'm sure I'm not the only one that spent time levelling up David Marcus for this event.
Fleet: Starship Trista
Captain Level: 95
VIP Level: 12
Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends

Comments

• Even Memory Alpha states he has a Doctorate!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/David_Marcus
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, why is Gillian Taylor a "doctor"? She's not an MD either. She is, as noted in her other trait, a biologist.
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    I immortalized him today! :-(
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, that's kind of underhanded. I could understand adding Doctor to Toby before the event but they should have waited until after the event to remove it from David. Not a huge issue for me because I seldom use purples for events (except the specific event crew) but for people that don't have a large crew or who used a lot of time/resources working on him for the event, it is unfair.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there are so many crewmembers who give a bonus in this event the prob for those who leveled him is lessened though...
  • The Great GornholioThe Great Gornholio ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think the real issue here is.... Why remove it at all? He has a Doctorate... he has the title Doctor.... Are they specifically saying that this should only include MDs? If so, seems to me they should remove it from Doctor Chaotica as well....
    edited January 2018
    I think the real issue here is.... Why remove it at all? He has a Doctorate... he has the title Doctor.... Are they specifically saying that this should only include MDs? If so, seems to me they should remove it from Doctor Chaotica as well....

Actually, Chaotica doesn't have the "Doctor" trait, and neither do Reyga or Soong or other scientists in the game that, in their titles, are referred to as "Dr. So-and so." So I understand the logic in making it consistent. One way or the other, consistency is good. The problem is that their decision on Marcus to take it away comes at the last minute, and their decision on Gillian Taylor is not consistent with everything else they've done.
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there are so many crewmembers who give a bonus in this event the prob for those who leveled him is lessened though...

Not for someone who has a f2p account where they are limited to 60 crew. Again, not me, but a large portion of the player base, I'm sure.

Not so many with science as their top skill, though. That's why I levelled him.
  • I think the real issue here is.... Why remove it at all? He has a Doctorate... he has the title Doctor.... Are they specifically saying that this should only include MDs? If so, seems to me they should remove it from Doctor Chaotica as well....

Actually, Chaotica doesn't have the "Doctor" trait, and neither do Reyga or Soong or other scientists in the game that, in their titles, are referred to as "Dr. So-and so." So I understand the logic in making it consistent. One way or the other, consistency is good. The problem is that their decision on Marcus to take it away comes at the last minute, and their decision on Gillian Taylor is not consistent with everything else they've done.

Ah you are correct. He showed up in my trait search, but it was because of the name. Either way though, it seems to me that David Marcus should keep the Doctor trait. All the things that need fixing and this is what gets changed today?
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we sure he actually has a Doctorate?

Let's aire on the side of caution here folks - we are talking about an individual who, through an elaborate insurance fraud scheme, faked his own death at the hands of a Klingon to pocket the money AND ditch his newly acquired dead-beat dad.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second that we found out that he never even completed his first undergrad degree - he dropped out and his mom took care of him. He went on the internet and found a website that he fills out a form and they print a certificate anointing him as a "Doctor"....

I say it's the right move to strip him of his title, dignity, lands and holdings.
  • JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so many with science as their top skill, though. That's why I levelled him.

Hope the event will rock for you despite this last second change Matt, fingers crossed...

• RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh ... was busy levelling him cut of the nice SCI/ENG combo for the event ... sigh ... that's some effort gone to waste there (though I would have levelled him eventually), as he's not yet FF for me so can't cryo him either once I hit 100 without dishing out on Honor. As it is I've got plenty of other SCI/ENG combo crew that are way better.

Anyway, he's up to 80 with just a component left on his tricorder to go to 90.

Bummer ... the only positive here is that I already had Russell immortalised.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    ugh ... was busy levelling him cut of the nice SCI/ENG combo for the event ... sigh ... that's some effort gone to waste there (though I would have levelled him eventually), as he's not yet FF for me so can't cryo him either once I hit 100 without dishing out on Honor. As it is I've got plenty of other SCI/ENG combo crew that are way better.

His Science / Doctor was the reason I worked on him pre-event. I do feel a little cheated here, since I did dump a ton of resources into finally immortalizing him.

"If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even Memory Alpha states he has a Doctorate!

But, is it a doctorate of Medicine?
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭

Technically doesn't matter. He carries of the Trait and Title of Doctor. The game didn't specifically differentiate between a medical doctor and other kinds of doctors.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

Considering his work I would assume not
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dude's card is named Dr. David Marcus. Give him back the doctor trait.
  • Even Memory Alpha states he has a Doctorate!

No, Im assuming its related to him being an Astrophysicist. If they are saying only an MD counts as Doctor thats good for consistency I guess.
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are saying only an MD counts as Doctor thats good for consistency I guess.

As long as they are consistent about it. They just gave it to Taylor...
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    NivenFres wrote: »

Technically doesn't matter. He carries of the Trait and Title of Doctor. The game didn't specifically differentiate between a medical doctor and other kinds of doctors.

It mostly does though. Still DB should change the Doctor trait to Physician which would be a more accurate.

Marcus doesn't have a profession trait at all right now which also should be fixed.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
    NivenFres wrote: »

It mostly does though. Still DB should change the Doctor trait to Physician which would be a more accurate.

Marcus doesn't have a profession trait at all right now which also should be fixed.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ikrit wrote: »
    For the record, is Dr. Hippocrates Noah also a medical doctor? I rewatched the episode recently, and I don't remember any reference to him being an M.D. It is possible that he went to Evil Medical School so that he wouldn't be called "Mr.".

bt24bvyrw6y6.jpg

ls562zyf1dkp.jpg

edited January 2018
    If you're still reading this, I hope you have stopped to realize how silly the discussion even is.

Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan