Home The Bridge

"Doctor" David Marcus

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    The “doctor” trait really should be “physician” to make this clear.

Dang you and your new-fangled common sense.......

EZtc2yE.jpg

EZtc2yE.jpg
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone will confuse physician with physicist and we'll be back at square one.
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a good suggestion. For this event, though, it would be nice if they didn't take the trait away from a crew member the day before the event starts. Pretty obnoxious.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    The President of Earth is not a doctor by trait. He is The EMH Mark 1 in disguise in a holodeck program to combat the aforementioned Dr. Chaotica. He is a holographic doctor playing a political figure, but said political figure never went to medical school. Also the EMH never went to medical school.

huh ... he doesn't have the President trait either ... only ol' Abe Lincoln does ... go figure, a doc in disguise as a president with neither traits. :)

• J.D. "Doctorate of Jurisprudence": Attorney - not medical, but still referred to as "Doctor"

I have a JD and actively practice law- I am not ever referred to as Doctor, nor is any other attorney I know. Any attorney who asks you to call them "Doctor" is likely a bad person and a bad attorney.

• Chief Eud{DD}rickChief Eud{DD}rick ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Comment removed. ˜Shan
    "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • I agree with Matt, I have been leveling my crew with doctor and brutal traits since Saturday to prep for the upcoming event. By removing the doctor trait from a character I just leveled it feels like I'm being penalized for actually reading the forums. Poor timing and/or communication on DB's part.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major_Tom wrote: »
    Poor timing and/or communication on DB's part.

thppm3tqwq5m.jpeg
  • bowdybowdy ✭✭✭
    Well I am a little miffed too, as I levelled him and it does feel very 11th hour to be making this change. I could have spent the resources I used on him on Toby Russell instead. But he'll go to the vault now, and make way for another 3 new crew in my roster.
  • Regardless of reasons we have for thinking that Dr David Marcus should or shouldn't have the trait,

it's simply inconsiderate and thoughtless to change it the day before the event.

(unfroze him for the event as he was my top SCI and by far top SCI/ENG bonus crew, there is no replacement)
  • Dr. Chaotica is not a doctor by trait. He is a hologram and a madman bent on world domination. I'm not entirely sure he has any form of degree or legitimate doctorate, but he just put it on his LinkedIn page and people rolled with it.

If you're still reading this, I hope you have stopped to realize how silly the discussion even is.

Madman???

And you are not a doctor of psychology to make a snap judgement about a holographic character's sanity!
  • Removing Doctor Marcus' doctor trait without explanation, or an official designation of what the doctor trait is, is greatly disappointing.

But with the reverse powercreep creeping into more and more into the new four stars, maybe ill skip this event because my SCI crew has been nerfed by an hospital administrator.
  • The “doctor” trait really should be “physician” to make this clear.

This please and Doctor as a separate trait for all of the doctors where a post graduate education would be held or used.
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB needs to learn what politicians have known for thousands of years:

Once you give people something, don't EVER try to take it away.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

I think here we have it! That or use the title Medical Practitioner or Medical Professional if for some reason DB doesn't like Physician.

Either way, DB needs to pick A or B.
    A - relabel the Doctor trait as Physician or Medical Practitioner, or decide that the Doctor label will only mean that from now on and retroactively and change who needs changing.
    B - apply the Doctor trait to all people with Doctor as part of their name or are known to have some sort of doctorate in their profession. So Dr. David Marcus, Dr. Reyga, Dr. Dre, Dr. Chaotica.

Personally, I think option B is less-than-desirable as it makes Doctor which was likely originally meant to refer to a medical professional as if it is almost like a Miscellaneous trait with vague notions to learnedness.

Of course this would mean Dr. Gillian Taylor would get Doctor struck from her trait list. But Cetacean Biologist already covers what she does, so why should we not just use that? Additionally, I'd like them to also add Romantic and Maverick to her trait list. I mean she single-handedly hopped a time travel trip to the future, she's making up all her own rules as she goes.

As for EMH since the discussion Frank brought up slightly irked me, all versions of the EMH should have the Doctor trait, it is the essence of who he is and was built upon as a program. Even if some medical subroutines would be deleted, it is still the bare bones of his matrix really. And until DB comes out with an EMH without the MED trait, then to me the EMH still exists in his capacity as a Doctor.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Maybe the traits should be "Physician" for the medical professionals and "Doctorate" for the science types like Dr. Soong
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for everyone suggesting they change the trait name to Physician - what do you propose they do with the Nurse trait?
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    robownage wrote: »
    Question for everyone suggesting they change the trait name to Physician - what do you propose they do with the Nurse trait?

A Nurse is a Nurse, it would need no change. Physician is with the idea of a lead Medical Professional.

Or we could just split the Doctor trait like this...
    Doctor = Medical/Medicine affiliated person
    Scholar = Scientific/Academically recognized person

Doctor = All versions of Bev, all versions of EMH, almost all versions of Bashir, all versions of McCoy, all versions of Phlox, Doctor Chapel, Commander Chapel, Doctor La Forge, CMO Pulaski, and others.

Scholar = Dr. David Marcus, Dr. Richard Daystrom, Dr. Chaotica, Dr. Soong, Dr. Gillian Taylor, Dr. Hippocrates Noah, Dr. Reyga, and others.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • They could just add the Scientist trait, which I don't think exists IIRC.
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a "DB is DB" trait, where whatever terrible decisions they make do not affect future usureship of said crew?
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously shouldhahve made this a main line tag
  • I have a JD and actively practice law- I am not ever referred to as Doctor, nor is any other attorney I know. Any attorney who asks you to call them "Doctor" is likely a bad person and a bad attorney.
    Reminds me of a scene in a film where three aquaintences are making conversation, and one who is a psychologist objects to the level of familiarity one of the others adopts. That character replies:
    "That all seems rather pretentious. You don't see him calling himself Painter Greco, or me Bartender Johnson, so unless your first name really is 'Doctor' you will always be Sidney to me."

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpyOne wrote: »
    Reminds me of a scene in a film where three aquaintences are making conversation, and one who is a psychologist objects to the level of familiarity one of the others adopts. That character replies:
    "That all seems rather pretentious. You don't see him calling himself Painter Greco, or me Bartender Johnson, so unless your first name really is 'Doctor' you will always be Sidney to me."

And this reminds me of The Maestro from Seinfeld.

bRxenZ1.png
  • :-(
  • I wish we would have gotten an in game mail about this change. I'm glad I didn't focus solely on him.